London Health Sciences Centre

Clear
3.9Pay & benefits

Insights into London Health Sciences Centre

What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Time and location flexibility

good learning opportunities

London Health sciences gave me the opportunity to develop and advance my skills in the Operating room. I worked with many talented and wonderful peers. The surgeons were some of the best in the world to work with .On the negative side the staff moral was low . I really enjoyed my career at LHSC.

Pros

good learning opportunities Good benefits

Cons

staffing issues ie working short

Toxic workplace

There is a great divide between management and workers. We, as workers, feel like we are merely numbers. The wages seem fair at the start, but then your pay reflects the massive deductions for co-payment of pension and benefits to the tune of well over 1\3 of your pay. After 16 years I am currently looking for work elsewhere. Moral here is terrible.

Pros

Steady employment

Cons

Demoralizing atmosphere

Overall a great place to work.

I love working for LHSC. I do believe that as a Personal Support Worker we should be getting a pay raise, but other than that London Health Science Centre is an all around wonderful place to work. I have learnt so much working hear weather it be Medical or just daily everyday skills.

Pros

12 hour shifts give you more days off during your pay period.

Cons

Fair pay, benefits, vacation and sick days not available for Resource workers.

Stress with no pay

Very stressful work environment. Co workers gossip so much its exhausting. Management creates dog eat dog work culture. After union dues and parking come off your pay cheque you wont have much left. 1% raise per year if your lucky.

Pros

Helping patients

Cons

Work Hours, Co workers, Management

Stringent and competitive place to work

At 18 years of employment with LHSC, the work environment has been consistent. The employer, is fair, benefits are good and parking is expensive. The staff is helpful and friendly. Facilities are maintained. Union involvement with certain departments.

Pros

Helping people

Cons

Parking costs

Great place for switchboard employment

Overall, it’s a great switchboard position IF!!!! You can achieve Full Time!!! It takes a long time to climb that ladder. They like to hire “casual/part time (which you don’t get benefits and are always on call! So you can’t exactly leave town on your days off! It has its usual “office politics” too. A good blend of senior operators and younger. Friendly atmosphere for the most part.

Pros

Great reputable employer and pay

Cons

Mostly hire casual/ part time on call basis!

Poor management

Poor management and most higher ups are very arrogant. Really depends on your direct supervisor and team members, but be expected to have poor work-life balance and no chance of raise or benefits if hired on contract.

Pros

Help others

Cons

Long hours, no benefits

work

great place to work, plenty of opportunity for growth and gain experience as a RN, the schedule is good for a young RN looking for work, great benefits and good work

Poor

Do AEMS about discrimination, harassing or bullying. Do report and document any interaction Always ask for help when no feeling comfortable or not sure

Pros

Good salary

Cons

Wellbeing

Excellent benefits, pension. Toxic and incompetent management.

The benefits, and pension are excellent, as mentioned in the header. However, over the years that I have worked for this organization, management has degraded to the point of being inept and painfully incompetent in even the most simple and mundane of tasks. Minor breaches of the organization's codes result in overly harsh and unrealistic punishments. Meanwhile, the larger issues (patient overcrowding, mental health treatment, hallway medicine) are largely overlooked and even ignored,

Co Workers are great

Enjoying my time working at LHSC. Can be stressful do the fast pace and lack of resources at time. Co workers are amazing and it makes for long shifts to go by quickly

Pros

Good pay, treated fairly if you do your job

Cons

Budget cuts

No Work-life Balance

While LHSC does offer exceptional training and employee benefits, PSW's are overworked, underappreciated, and forced to work full-time hours as "part-time" employees. Due to the wonderful union contract that rolled out last year, they can now label us as part-time but can schedule us full-time hours BEFORE we get a say in our availability. By doing this they also don't have to provide us benefits, even though we all work full-time. The Staffing & Scheduling office is horrible. When you call most of them are rude, and there is no communication. You get a different person almost every time you call. They have no idea what's going on, and schedule us 6-8 12 hr shifts in a row. You also don't get a set rotation, so you're scheduled however they want. There's no predictability or consistancy. They constantly violate ESA rules so you NEED to know your rights in Ontario. They don't care about who you are - you're just a number. You used to be able to go into the staffing office to talk face-to-face with someone, but they closed the office and are now behind a locked door with frosted glass so you can't even see in. The more impersonal it is the easier it is to not care about people's work-life balance. Management is good. The manager for our team is fantastic, and she does everything she can to try and help us. She understands our staffing concerns but there's honestly nothing she can do. Management on the units is alright too. PSW's float for the most part so you don't really get to know them, but the interactions I've had have all been positive. The Nurses are all normally -

Good people and working environment

I was on coop so benefits don't apply to me. The first half of the coop was good second half I lacked a workload. But the people I worked with were very nice had social events outside of work.

Toxic Leadership and Environment

There is a leadership problem which is not being addressed, as a result there is a terrible culture and morale throughout the organization. Pay and benefits are good but not worth the strain on your mental health, not to mention the constant fear of losing your job if you are non-unionized.

Pros

Decent pay and benefits

Cons

Unstable, toxic culture

Good work environment

Good work environment Near best pay for a PSW in London Ontario Friendly Coworkers Management can be a bit uncoordinated and unproductive in regards to certain matters and part timers end up working basically every weekend and holiday

Pros

Good pay

Cons

No work/life balance

Excellent salary and benefits

Excellent salary and benefits with many opportunities to grow. Overall a fantastic place to work. The biggest struggle is to achieve a work / life balance which can be challenging.

Pros

Supportive staff

Cons

Can be long hours

I enjoyed many years of service working for the Hospital.

My job was very diverse and I learned many new skills while providing accurate, professional services to the patients. There were many diverse requirements in my role as pharmacy technician. All tasks had to be done with the utmost accuracy. The pace was quite fast and many deadlines had to be met. I enjoyed the variety of tasks and the professional workplace environment. I was able to work well with management, staff and co-workers as wel as patients.

Pros

good company benefits

Excellent

Unit clerk, I currently work here enjoy my work and do patient registration. Excellent team work great Pay excellent pension and benefits not many companies offer this

benefits

Cons

Great job with good benefits, as long as you don't mind incompetent management

Worked from 2005 - 2016 in the IT department. Excellent staff to work with, most have the right attitude. Management is lacking and has contributed to a culture problem. For an organization that has so much involvement in mental health, I was surprised by how little management actually cared.

Pros

Salary, Benefits

Cons

Difficult to advance or have a life

Part time is difficult. Have been there for five years and never going to get full time so no benefits at all. Really think my work is valuable so very disappointing.

Good/Toxic

LHSC can either be a good environment or a toxic environment to work in. There is a lot of "Friend" hiring that takes place. Wages for most part of okay, but cost of living compared to wages should be looked at increasing.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at London Health Sciences Centre. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4Job security/advancement