London Health Sciences Centre

London Health Sciences Centre Employee Reviews for Support Worker

Overall a great place to work.

I love working for LHSC. I do believe that as a Personal Support Worker we should be getting a pay raise, but other than that London Health Science Centre is an all around wonderful place to work. I have learnt so much working hear weather it be Medical or just daily everyday skills.

Pros

12 hour shifts give you more days off during your pay period.

Cons

Fair pay, benefits, vacation and sick days not available for Resource workers.

A good learning experience

12 hour days, long and hard. Management was mostly absent, not really there for you, sink or swim kind of attitude, working as a team with your co-workers was a must. Dealing with the very ill and dying was the most difficult but empathy for the patients was definitely needed. The learning was the best part of the job and the patients as well. I worked in a lot of units and they were always willing to teach you anything you wanted to know.

No Work-life Balance

While LHSC does offer exceptional training and employee benefits, PSW's are overworked, underappreciated, and forced to work full-time hours as "part-time" employees. Due to the wonderful union contract that rolled out last year, they can now label us as part-time but can schedule us full-time hours BEFORE we get a say in our availability. By doing this they also don't have to provide us benefits, even though we all work full-time. The Staffing & Scheduling office is horrible. When you call most of them are rude, and there is no communication. You get a different person almost every time you call. They have no idea what's going on, and schedule us 6-8 12 hr shifts in a row. You also don't get a set rotation, so you're scheduled however they want. There's no predictability or consistancy. They constantly violate ESA rules so you NEED to know your rights in Ontario. They don't care about who you are - you're just a number. You used to be able to go into the staffing office to talk face-to-face with someone, but they closed the office and are now behind a locked door with frosted glass so you can't even see in. The more impersonal it is the easier it is to not care about people's work-life balance. Management is good. The manager for our team is fantastic, and she does everything she can to try and help us. She understands our staffing concerns but there's honestly nothing she can do. Management on the units is alright too. PSW's float for the most part so you don't really get to know them, but the interactions I've had have all been positive. The Nurses are all normally -

Good work environment

Good work environment Near best pay for a PSW in London Ontario Friendly Coworkers Management can be a bit uncoordinated and unproductive in regards to certain matters and part timers end up working basically every weekend and holiday

Pros

Good pay

Cons

No work/life balance

Productive, Positive People

Working for LHSC taught me a lot, however, it was ALL on call, and with a little one that just doesn't work for everyone's schedule, they also said they wouldn't call between the hours of 11pm-6am. They lied.

Pros

Good Pay, & Benefits

Cons

Looooong Hours, On Call 24/7

too much management

too much management no advancement opportunites union is awful (uniform/caw)

Pros

Cons

all

Jobs at London Health Sciences Centre