London Health Sciences Centre

London Health Sciences Centre Employee Reviews for Registered Nurse

underfunded and unsafe at times

Patient centered care takes a back seat to money and an attitude of always trying to do more with less. Not enough people speak up to the lhin to say what they are doing is wrong so people wait too long and suffer at this hospital that is underresourced. They will not hesitate to throw a nurse under the bus for the greater good which is maintaining an administration to front line worker ratio that is obscene.

A career to grow with

Lots of opportunities here to learn and grow in your career. Every day is a new learning curve. The doctors, including residents make it easy to approach and inquire. I love having the Nurse Practitioner's on our team.

LHSC no longer cares about the patients!

I’ve worked here for almost 10 years, it’s was great at first. I actually enjoyed going to work & had a work family. I was proud to say I worked there. Now the only thing that matters is the almighty dollar. The company is management heavy, continually adding more & more layers of supervisors/managers but stripping staff to bare bones. It is no longer about patient care, it’s basically an assembly line & frontline staff are the robots to shuffle people through. Nurses & PSWs are expected to work anywhere they see fit no matter your qualifications. So long as they can say the unit is staffed. Once their “exemplary standing” was met by Accreditation everything went downhill faster than a meteor falling from outer space. Once Accreditation comes around again they’ll be scrambling to meet the standards of care again. RPNs do practically the same job as RNs for way less, the organization is forcing RNs into supervisory roles against their will or they are told to “move on”. It has become a SUPER TOXIC workplace. I highly advise you look elsewhere for employment.

Pros

Most staff genuinely care about the patients

Cons

It’s not a hospital, it’s a company looking to make money.

Rpn

A great place to work. I learned a ton and would recommend this hospital to a new graduate. A great team, and lots of room for advancement in careers.

great environment to learn

a typical day at work is fast paced and demanding. if you do not support your back, you will eventually end up injured as a result of lifting heavy patients. rule number one, get someone to help you lift said heavy patients. management was great, the hardest part of the job was watching patients suffer. the best part of the job was working with the team to better the outcomes of the patients. good place to work, especially as a new nurse.

Fast paced, ever changing health care environment. Teamwork is highly encouraged. Able to really make a difference to patient's and their families. Lots of variety in the patient population

Great job

I work with amazing staff who are all eager to learn every day. LHSC is a great place for professional and personal development. My workplace shaped me to the person I am today; I work to my full scope of practice and I am confident in the skill and knowledge I have gained.

Management heavy

Worked at LHSC for 10 years+ in perioperative Care, the management was a complete disaster, they foster cut throat coordinators who rotate every two years after they have terrorized a unit, worked short staffed in unsafe environments.

Pros

Academic, great learning with diversity of cases

Cons

Management incompetent

LHSC doesn't care anymore

LHSC is an organization that sadly, doesn't care about it's employees or the patient. Management continues to pile work on it's front line employees, who are constantly working short. Overworked, overworked, overworked. I was proud to be an employee of LHSC for many years, but lately, I was no longer proud to say I was employed there. The pay is comparable to other organizations thanks to the Unions, but job satisfaction is, I believe, at an all-time LOW. The reason I got out now was because morale is terrible, and my body just couldn't keep up with the physical demands that are continuously being expected.

Large teaching hospital

One of Canada"s largest acute care teaching hospitals. Opportunity to advance career, numerous specialties, ability to learn in a dynamic environment. Numeous research projects

Jobs at London Health Sciences Centre

Registered Nurse positions
See more jobs

Good Employer

LHSC is a good employer although I have only been there a short time. As with all healthcare across the country, there is definitely room for improvement.

Good experience

Good stable job. Salary and benefits good and recognized for experience. Understaffed often and client care suffered at times. High turnover in managment.

Loved working there but morale and politics could cloud your enjoyment

a very busy and stressful unit which I coped in well! I enjoyed the work! Short-staffed many times so affected morale; morale was very low at the best of times. Difficult to approach management to address issues. Some great staff and physicians to work with!

Pros

my peers, physicians

Cons

12 hours shifts could be long and very busy!

great experience

learned about trauma and spent many hours in trauma. learned alot about the equipment used and learned to apply makeup for ATLS courses. Got to work with the elder population and heled look after a parent with dementia

Pros

excellent teachers

N/a

I am not willing to comment on this at this time. I love nursing but do not agree with the system and wish that upper management would see people as patients and not numbers

If you can find an equally well paying job elsewhere - take it.

I find it very challenging to work in a place where senority counts for everything. There is no reward for ongoing professional development, continuing your education, making yourself the most qualified and best candidate for the job. Senority rules here. Our bedside nurses have graduate degrees, while our management has community college diplomas.

Pros

Great colleagues, Hoopp

Cons

Shift work, poor benefits, senority rules, poor work life balance, vacation black out periods, missing holidays with your kids (Christmas, Thanksgiving, etc)

Lhsc

This a great place to work. Staff are awesome and are always eager to help! Management are supportive and work well to integrate new nurses. Would recommend!

Nice place to work

I enjoy my job. I have an awesome group of coworkers and team. I enjoy my working environment. Management is not the greatest but they do try their best.

Community minded and health and safety oriented.

I have enjoyed being part of the LHSC team for the last 11 years. Despite my recent practice concerns, I would recommend working here to anyone who asks.

Pros

Safety conscious, health and wellness promotion, multiple services available to help achieve and maintain good health both physically and mentally.

Cons

Means of testing Nursing Professional practice.

Great place to work overall

Overall LHSC is an amazing place to work. Management is great, experience is great, and other co-workers are great! Vascular is a high-paced sometimes challenging work environment but is do-able.

Pros

Great co-workers

Cons

Can be overwhelming

High paced medical surgical environment

Supportive management with opportunities for change Varied environment incorporating both medical and surgical skill sets Lots of politics between coworkers and drama

Ask a question about working or interviewing at London Health Sciences Centre. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4Job security/advancement