London Health Sciences Centre
Happiness score is 45 out of 100

London Health Sciences Centre Employee Reviews

Canada160 reviews

Good company but not so great paycheck

Good company but not so great paycheck. There is job security and the people are nice. Victoria hospital is a huge place to learn a lot and rewlly nice workplace to connect and add value. It provides opportunity for nice relationships.

Great organization for low-achieving leaders

Huge org and your experience will depend on where you end up. Turnover seems pretty high. Top heavy with leaders making a lot of money and most don't know what they are doing. great place to be if you enjoy poor leadership, internal politics and all your coworkers being miserable.

Pros

Good benefits, paid sick time, awesome retirement (HOOP)

Cons

High turnover, workloads can be unpredictable, old/traditional attitudes

Insights into London Health Sciences Centre

Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Support from manager

Good place to get experience

A good place for a student placement. You will likely get a job from your placement. There is constant change all the time. The lack of stability in policies, team structure, leadership, processes, and expectations wears away at you.

Easy work orders. Management to focused on looking good.

Very low pay for tradesmen, 40,000 a year less base salary then some red seal trades. Managers focused on whatever gets them promoted, no respect for tax payer Dollars.

If you are not a nurse you do not matter at LHSC

Work life balance does not exist. If you are not a nurse you do not exist and you do not matter, and are not valued at all. Management is ruthless and many healthcare professionals are leaving because of the mistreatment. Nobody respects my profession, and this is even during medical laboratory week.

Toxic

Very busy and stressful.Do not train very well, got trained by 4 different people who did things different. Therefore it was very confusing.It was a dangerous atmosphere with people yelling, swearing, impatient and the security is not allowed to do much but try to de-esculate.There were assaults on a regular basis. I was not told about certain parts of the position before I started.

Pros

Good breaks, good pay

Cons

Long hours, poor security, poor training

Lack of leadership

The purpose of the work is wonderful. The lack of leadership means you're on your own without clear direction. Zero job security, and no career development.

Good place to gain experience

Supportive staff and work environment.Good collaboration between team membersOften short-staffed and heavy workload.Good place for new grads to learn and gain experience.

Pros

supportive staff

Cons

management could do better

Too top heavy

LHSC is too focused on their People and Cuture dept. They've completely taken the human out of Human Resources and don't care about anyone outside of HR. Nepotism is rampant. Most staff outside of HR are among the lowest paid of all hospitals in Southern Ontario.

Pros

None.

Cons

Low pay, awful hours, HR bullies. There is nowhere for clerks to go unless you have your Human Resources degree.

good learning opportunities

London Health sciences gave me the opportunity to develop and advance my skills in the Operating room. I worked with many talented and wonderful peers. The surgeons were some of the best in the world to work with .On the negative side the staff moral was low . I really enjoyed my career at LHSC.

Pros

good learning opportunities Good benefits

Cons

staffing issues ie working short

Secure job with good benefits

Good company. Nice benefit. Worked long hours because of shortage in staffing. Training wasn’t organized . They need more support for new employees. Overall it’s a good place to work.

Toxic workplace

There is a great divide between management and workers. We, as workers, feel like we are merely numbers. The wages seem fair at the start, but then your pay reflects the massive deductions for co-payment of pension and benefits to the tune of well over 1\3 of your pay. After 16 years I am currently looking for work elsewhere. Moral here is terrible.

Pros

Steady employment

Cons

Demoralizing atmosphere

Great opportunities to try different jobs

There are tons of postings all the time so lots of opportunity to move around, if you don't like your current position. Co-workers are educated and helpful!

A career to grow with

Lots of opportunities here to learn and grow in your career. Every day is a new learning curve. The doctors, including residents make it easy to approach and inquire. I love having the Nurse Practitioner's on our team.

Overall a great place to work.

I love working for LHSC. I do believe that as a Personal Support Worker we should be getting a pay raise, but other than that London Health Science Centre is an all around wonderful place to work. I have learnt so much working hear weather it be Medical or just daily everyday skills.

Pros

12 hour shifts give you more days off during your pay period.

Cons

Fair pay, benefits, vacation and sick days not available for Resource workers.

Fail-Up Institution.

Hands down the worst job I’ve ever had. “Leadership” is a joke and People Services has no idea what’s going on. The less competent you are, the higher you’ll go. Docked for lunch breaks, and not paid for overtime.

Pros

None.

Cons

Too many to list.

Stress with no pay

Very stressful work environment. Co workers gossip so much its exhausting. Management creates dog eat dog work culture. After union dues and parking come off your pay cheque you wont have much left. 1% raise per year if your lucky.

Pros

Helping patients

Cons

Work Hours, Co workers, Management

Stringent and competitive place to work

At 18 years of employment with LHSC, the work environment has been consistent. The employer, is fair, benefits are good and parking is expensive. The staff is helpful and friendly. Facilities are maintained. Union involvement with certain departments.

Pros

Helping people

Cons

Parking costs

Great pay and benefits........BUT

Unfortunately, like most companies with 10,000 plus workers, many departments run like separate entities. Very cut-throat at the leadership level. The plus is - those you help every day, always making a difference and helping others is a reward itself. God bless Health Care workers on the front line!

Enter at your own risk

Applying within or outside of your department/hospital will be blocked. You will be forced to work in poor conditions and stuck from leaving as they are strapped for staff and can't afford to lose a body. Yes a body, you are only a body. Bodies keep business moving but that's all you are, a body. Bullying tactics are not only allowed, they are encouraged by management to handle staff (Toyota Method -shaming staff to get results). Poor workers are promoted and excellent workers are stuck in their current positions. Why move what's working? LHSC motto = MORE IS LESS

Pros

It's a job that pays

Cons

Undervalued, Unimportant, Ignored, Bullied, Hounded, Pigeon-holed

LHSC no longer cares about the patients!

I’ve worked here for almost 10 years, it’s was great at first. I actually enjoyed going to work & had a work family. I was proud to say I worked there. Now the only thing that matters is the almighty dollar. The company is management heavy, continually adding more & more layers of supervisors/managers but stripping staff to bare bones. It is no longer about patient care, it’s basically an assembly line & frontline staff are the robots to shuffle people through. Nurses & PSWs are expected to work anywhere they see fit no matter your qualifications. So long as they can say the unit is staffed. Once their “exemplary standing” was met by Accreditation everything went downhill faster than a meteor falling from outer space. Once Accreditation comes around again they’ll be scrambling to meet the standards of care again. RPNs do practically the same job as RNs for way less, the organization is forcing RNs into supervisory roles against their will or they are told to “move on”. It has become a SUPER TOXIC workplace. I highly advise you look elsewhere for employment.

Pros

Most staff genuinely care about the patients

Cons

It’s not a hospital, it’s a company looking to make money.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at London Health Sciences Centre. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement