London Health Sciences Centre

London Health Sciences Centre Employee Reviews

Canada137 reviews
work
great place to work, plenty of opportunity for growth and gain experience as a RN, the schedule is good for a young RN looking for work, great benefits and good work
Poor
Do AEMS about discrimination, harassing or bullying.
Do report and document any interaction

Always ask for help when no feeling comfortable or not sure
Pros
Good salary
Cons
Wellbeing
Rpn
A great place to work. I learned a ton and would recommend this hospital to a new graduate. A great team, and lots of room for advancement in careers.
underfunded and unsafe at times
Patient centered care takes a back seat to money and an attitude of always trying to do more with less. Not enough people speak up to the lhin to say what they are doing is wrong so people wait too long and suffer at this hospital that is underresourced. They will not hesitate to throw a nurse under the bus for the greater good which is maintaining an administration to front line worker ratio that is obscene.
Excellent work environment
Its the best out of all Ontario hospitals, never worked at a place that is as clean and efficient as Victoria Hospital. The staff are beyond efficient and professional
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
Hours can be challenging
Very Fast Paced
Very fast paced environment, Needs to be comfortable being in a trauma room, colleagues very willing to give a helping hand, and be fine with working 12 hour shift work
A good learning experience
12 hour days, long and hard. Management was mostly absent, not really there for you, sink or swim kind of attitude, working as a team with your co-workers was a must. Dealing with the very ill and dying was the most difficult but empathy for the patients was definitely needed. The learning was the best part of the job and the patients as well. I worked in a lot of units and they were always willing to teach you anything you wanted to know.
great environment to learn
a typical day at work is fast paced and demanding. if you do not support your back, you will eventually end up injured as a result of lifting heavy patients. rule number one, get someone to help you lift said heavy patients. management was great, the hardest part of the job was watching patients suffer. the best part of the job was working with the team to better the outcomes of the patients. good place to work, especially as a new nurse.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at London Health Sciences Centre?
Fast paced, ever changing health care environment. Teamwork is highly encouraged. Able to really make a difference to patient's and their families. Lots of variety in the patient population
Excellent benefits, pension. Toxic and incompetent management.
The benefits, and pension are excellent, as mentioned in the header. However, over the years that I have worked for this organization, management has degraded to the point of being inept and painfully incompetent in even the most simple and mundane of tasks.

Minor breaches of the organization's codes result in overly harsh and unrealistic punishments. Meanwhile, the larger issues (patient overcrowding, mental health treatment, hallway medicine) are largely overlooked and even ignored,
A great co-op placement
I really enjoyed working with the Telecom team. I was treated like part of a family. I got to work on a lot of different projects, which was great experience.
Very good teaching hospital for clinical placement
Had one clinical placement there as nursing student. The nurses on my floor were patient and willing to teach. Learnt a lot from the staff and my preceptor.
Co Workers are great
Enjoying my time working at LHSC. Can be stressful do the fast pace and lack of resources at time. Co workers are amazing and it makes for long shifts to go by quickly
Pros
Good pay, treated fairly if you do your job
Cons
Budget cuts
Top heavy management, Short on attentive knowledgeable staff that do the real work.
High stress areas, unprofessional management, recognizable staff favourites, poor training, constant changes with no improvement, frequently short staffed & constant lack of coverage for breaks & vacation.
Spend entire career working for masnagement that is not as skilled or competent as the workforce
Non-challenging work, dull repetitive, non stimulating,
Poor equipment, tools

No ongoing training... the skills you come in with are superior to those you leave with.

Positive team, but fastpaced
The team of worker and managers were kind and caring and easy to approach. The environment is extremely fast paced, with sometimes the resources spread thin to address issues.
No Work-life Balance
While LHSC does offer exceptional training and employee benefits, PSW's are overworked, underappreciated, and forced to work full-time hours as "part-time" employees. Due to the wonderful union contract that rolled out last year, they can now label us as part-time but can schedule us full-time hours BEFORE we get a say in our availability. By doing this they also don't have to provide us benefits, even though we all work full-time.

The Staffing & Scheduling office is horrible. When you call most of them are rude, and there is no communication. You get a different person almost every time you call. They have no idea what's going on, and schedule us 6-8 12 hr shifts in a row. You also don't get a set rotation, so you're scheduled however they want. There's no predictability or consistancy. They constantly violate ESA rules so you NEED to know your rights in Ontario. They don't care about who you are - you're just a number. You used to be able to go into the staffing office to talk face-to-face with someone, but they closed the office and are now behind a locked door with frosted glass so you can't even see in. The more impersonal it is the easier it is to not care about people's work-life balance.

Management is good. The manager for our team is fantastic, and she does everything she can to try and help us. She understands our staffing concerns but there's honestly nothing she can do. Management on the units is alright too. PSW's float for the most part so you don't really get to know them, but the interactions I've had have all been positive.

The Nurses are all normally
 - more...
Great job
I work with amazing staff who are all eager to learn every day. LHSC is a great place for professional and personal development. My workplace shaped me to the person I am today; I work to my full scope of practice and I am confident in the skill and knowledge I have gained.
Overworked and underpaid
Staffing levels are consistently below requirements. Overtime offered almost every day to cover requirements to meet standards and needs of operating room.
Challenging position.
Challenging position that contributes to patient safety. Good teamwork to provide everything required for the OR and clinics. Lots of opportunities to learn.
Patient Care
Administration is more interested in the bottom line than the patient. Staff must work with minimal equipment, staff and supplies. Very stressful. Very little support from management or union. Good place for hands on experience.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at London Health Sciences Centre. Our community is ready to answer.
London Health Sciences Centre Reviews by Location