London Health Sciences Centre

London Health Sciences Centre: 166 Employee Reviews

Canada166 reviews

hospitalpatientnursehealthprofessionalorganizationstaffsupportive

Friendly environment

Most of the staff here are friendly and inviting. They are always supporting you if you have questions or need help. There is always room for growth here.

You’re just another number to this company

Zero appreciation or support from management. You work without supplies and often times short staffed because they can’t keep staff around. Horrible work place!

Insights into London Health Sciences Centre

Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Support from manager
  • General feeling of work happiness

Good if you want to build skills

Coworkers are great and a good place to learn skills, but you will likely not feel very supported by management and you will be constantly understaffed.

Extremely Poor Experience

The current CEO needs to take a deep, hard, look at the organization.The rampant nepotism and protectionism that occurs working for the business (make no mistake, it's a business) is absolutely terrible.You're a disposable number.

Pros

Pay is decent.

Cons

Only if you're not related to someone.

Corporate Healthcare to a T

A hospital that has grown too big for its own good. Organization is run from a corporate mindset and the purpose of this healthcare institution feels left behind.Staff are treated like cogs in the machine and if you try to speak up to bring issues to managements’ attention you will be targeted as a bad fit.Coworkers were kind and made the position tolerable. Mistreatment and assault of staff by patients will not be addressed by the employer despite a “zero tolerance” policy.Pay is average as most positions are unionized and thus no different pay wise than any other hospital. Benefits however are poorly implemented with the hospital almost always underpaying requiring a grievance for most claims.

Very fortunate to be unionized!

The union and LHSC is strong and protects nurses - especially those with disabilities. I will never work at a non-unionized hospital again! Overall I had a wonderful experience at lhsc

Pros

union

Cons

pay, staff shortage

Not a bad place to work, but not great either

Big organization, room for movement, but the politics involved are outrageous. Alot of front line staff are awesome, and the people you deal with will be awesome. Senior leadership though is so detached and has no idea how things happen.

Professional environment; interesting work

A day at work was generally enjoyable, I learned a lot of things and was exposed to many different points of view. The hardest part of the job was generally due to outside reasons, not caused by LHSC itself. Mostly I worked self - directed which I found to be most fulfilling.

Good company but not so great paycheck

Good company but not so great paycheck. There is job security and the people are nice. Victoria hospital is a huge place to learn a lot and rewlly nice workplace to connect and add value. It provides opportunity for nice relationships.

Great organization for low-achieving leaders

Huge org and your experience will depend on where you end up. Turnover seems pretty high. Top heavy with leaders making a lot of money and most don't know what they are doing. great place to be if you enjoy poor leadership, internal politics and all your coworkers being miserable.

Pros

Good benefits, paid sick time, awesome retirement (HOOP)

Cons

High turnover, workloads can be unpredictable, old/traditional attitudes

Good place to get experience

A good place for a student placement. You will likely get a job from your placement. There is constant change all the time. The lack of stability in policies, team structure, leadership, processes, and expectations wears away at you.

Easy work orders. Management to focused on looking good.

Very low pay for tradesmen, 40,000 a year less base salary then some red seal trades. Managers focused on whatever gets them promoted, no respect for tax payer Dollars.

Toxic

Very busy and stressful.Do not train very well, got trained by 4 different people who did things different. Therefore it was very confusing.It was a dangerous atmosphere with people yelling, swearing, impatient and the security is not allowed to do much but try to de-esculate.There were assaults on a regular basis. I was not told about certain parts of the position before I started.

Pros

Good breaks, good pay

Cons

Long hours, poor security, poor training

Lack of leadership

The purpose of the work is wonderful. The lack of leadership means you're on your own without clear direction. Zero job security, and no career development.

Good place to gain experience

Supportive staff and work environment.Good collaboration between team membersOften short-staffed and heavy workload.Good place for new grads to learn and gain experience.

Pros

supportive staff

Cons

management could do better

Too top heavy

LHSC is too focused on their People and Cuture dept. They've completely taken the human out of Human Resources and don't care about anyone outside of HR. Nepotism is rampant. Most staff outside of HR are among the lowest paid of all hospitals in Southern Ontario.

Pros

None.

Cons

Low pay, awful hours, HR bullies. There is nowhere for clerks to go unless you have your Human Resources degree.

good learning opportunities

London Health sciences gave me the opportunity to develop and advance my skills in the Operating room. I worked with many talented and wonderful peers. The surgeons were some of the best in the world to work with .On the negative side the staff moral was low . I really enjoyed my career at LHSC.

Pros

good learning opportunities Good benefits

Cons

staffing issues ie working short

Secure job with good benefits

Good company. Nice benefit. Worked long hours because of shortage in staffing. Training wasn’t organized . They need more support for new employees. Overall it’s a good place to work.

Toxic workplace

There is a great divide between management and workers. We, as workers, feel like we are merely numbers. The wages seem fair at the start, but then your pay reflects the massive deductions for co-payment of pension and benefits to the tune of well over 1\3 of your pay. After 16 years I am currently looking for work elsewhere. Moral here is terrible.

Pros

Steady employment

Cons

Demoralizing atmosphere

Great opportunities to try different jobs

There are tons of postings all the time so lots of opportunity to move around, if you don't like your current position. Co-workers are educated and helpful!

A career to grow with

Lots of opportunities here to learn and grow in your career. Every day is a new learning curve. The doctors, including residents make it easy to approach and inquire. I love having the Nurse Practitioner's on our team.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at London Health Sciences Centre. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement