London Drugs
Happiness score is 55 out of 100

London Drugs Employee Reviews

Canada473 reviews

Fun but not enough money to pay your bills

I liked the people who worked at the locations where I've been to. Very disorganized management structure, micromanagement style. You have to work on weekends.

Don’t settle. Work where you get treated fairly.

I don’t enjoy working here at all. There is a clear lack of care for anyones mental health in this workplace and it makes me quite sad. The only good thing is the friends I have made here. Some managers do not care about you and your wellbeing, nor do they care about your improvement or growth at all. Some managers are great, but they are hard to find. A lot of the time, people use their positions of power to bully and put you down. I feel unsafe coming in to work. I don’t know if this company truly cares about it’s employees at all, especially it’s young ones, because they continue to enable this behaviour. I would not recommend, unless you can know for sure the managers are kind and you will be treated fairly. I have faith my experience is not the same for everyone. But the location I work at needs to get better, because it really starts to impact you after awhile.

Insights into London Drugs

Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging
  • General feeling of work happiness

Great place

I have enjoyed working for this company, it allows you to balance work and school. Managers can be flexible when it comes with scheduling. There is a good culture here

Decent

Good tech position if you are interested in the field Retail experience Camera experience Printing experience Decent management depending on deptartment and location

fast paced and learning opportunity

Lot of opportunity to learn especially for fresh grad or off from high school; good spring board but do not invest your time here. Customers are generally nice and give you opportunity to networking with clients.

Overall, a great experience

Overall, LD is a very good company to work for. I was generally treated fairly and with respect. The money wasn't amazing, but it was slightly better than for similar positions with other employers.I worked in a technical department doing sales. I noticed that there was a LOT of nepotism in the management of these departments across the chain. My department manager had a brother, a brother-in-la and a sister-ib-law who all worked in management at various LD locations. His father and uncle had previously been department managers at LD. So advancing into a department management position might be harder than you expect.

Pros

They provide more breaks than required by law, The employee discount was helpful.

Cons

No uniforms provided, they were available for purchase, Raises over several years were minimal, Management plays favourites.

Position is generally good, but corporate goalposts and cryptic pay scales leave a sour taste.

Generally my time with London Drugs has been positive. Most staff are nice, and the company is accepting of all peoples. However as I progress through managment it becomes clear how missaligned corporate directs feel and how this affects managment leaves a lot to be desired. I have experienced entirely impossible goals that directly effect my income. As a part time employee, pay tiers and wage increases are plain to see. However once you move to managment they no longer inform you what it takes to progress, or what you can even progress to. London Drugs provides many opportunites for managers to develop coaching skills, but yet they do not supply you the tools to train or opperate your store. Getting the information required to properly train staff can sometimes be very difficult, and this increases as London Drugs continues to bleed its experienced staff to higher paying jobs.

Very caring and customer oriented workplace.

The experience while working with London Drugs was excellent never had any issues. They listen to your concerns and address them with due diligence. It was very pleasant time working with London Drugs.

Benefits

Cons

Little underpaid

Amazing!

This is an amazing place to work. By far, this is the best retail company to work for. From good benefits to amazing overall atmosphere and good management, everywhere else will seem downhill compared to London Drugs. More importantly, the pharmacy is run by a pharmacist and not by a greedy person.

stressful but maybe because of my location

i just really had a hard time dealing with the customers but i was in a rough area, the management was good about following up with situations i was uncomfortable in, but there is no stopping certain customers from coming into the store unless they do something heinous i guess. yeah upper management was good and they try to keep employees happy

Great coworkers, management expects too much for too little.

Minimum wage for maximum effort. Severely understaffed and absolutely undertrained. Still learning basic things after 6 months of being at the company because we are just thrown into it with till training and modules. Management will expect you to be everywhere at once. Bad management as well as stuck up customers just ruins your mental health. I get things mansplained to me any time I have any sort of feedback to say. I should not be mentally drained at the end of the work day, let alone halfway through. Rule of thumb, if you're going to work here, don't stand out. Don't be good at anything, be mediocre at everything.

Sometimes understaffed leading to high/stressful workloads on few heads for periods of time. Management can really make or break the experience.

Co-workers and management really make or break the job. Working later in the day with less co-workers can sometimes be either very fast paced/a bit stressful or dreadfully slow when there's less traffic/things to do. Often there's a lot of tasks given to very few heads. Management can be VERY caring and frequently ensures employees are doing okay with both work and life outside of work. If you work well and management acknowledges it you can get a bonus and maybe a rather small raise. Furthermore if you speak to the right person there's room for advancement into higher paying positions with good work ethic. Working as a student can often be conflicting. Certain (student typical) positions tend to have less availability and you may get an unusual amount of hours throw at you randomly as management can seem hesitant to hire new people (for any position really) to help reduce hours on students. However, management can be very understanding with school work if you tell them you cant work a shift, it may lead to the day/night being down a person though.

Pros

Good people, great for a first job, quite professional (for retail), good deals for employees

Cons

Understaffed more often than it should be, late shifts can be boring, lots of work put on few heads

Management creates great environment, but being understaffed and unreasonable expectations creates stressful work days.

My experience at London Drugs has been mixed, as much of the management is understanding and compassionate, however there is a severe lack of staff which makes the work done fairly stressful. Furthermore, there is a lack of training for products sold which creates confusion and when coupled with staffing issues, can create very stressful days. The benefits are great with occasional employee discount programs along with a permanent employee discount on almost all products, however base salary is minimum wage with little to no growth opportunity.

Pros

Great employee discount

Cons

Understaffed, lack of training, low wages

Unfriendly Environment but easy work.

I started working here very recently, but honestly it’s been a bad experience. Coworkers are not very friendly if you’re younger (as most people working there are older or late 20s). Managers are mildly friendly but more passive aggressive than anything. The job is very easy but super un enjoyable to the point I don’t want to go to work. Maybe if the people you work with are nicer it would be okay but I don’t recommend working here.

Good Part-time job for students

The work culture can be improved, but the scheduling is good for students like me. Also, the wok load is not too heavy and it's a good part-time job.

Don’t work here

They expect you to work more than 8 hours a day, provide little support and offer less than adequate pay. Very high turnover rate shows this isn’t just an unhappy employee but a culture of wearing down employees and letting them leave.

Pros

Store discount

Cons

Long hours, far commute, poor pay

Friendly and Accommodating towards new employees.

London Drugs is a great starting point for people who want to work. It also offers great part-time positions. The people are very helpful and very friendly with each other.

Pros

Great learning opportunities

Fast paced but fair

People are almost all friendly and helpful. I enjoyed being able to assist customers whether I was working at cash or on the floor. I learned how to do almost all jobs within the store from loss prevention to stocking and cash.

Fair enough

. You are watched every second, micromanaged to the point they time your washroom breaks, if you go three times they pull you in. Very fast paced and

disorganized and draining work environment

-total lack of proper communication between management teams leading to confusion among lower level employees on what's proper procedure and what's not. What your told by one senior member can be directly contradicted by another. This is a consistent theme. Also a lack of proper communication on any changes to company services or procedures, your meant to figure out a lot of things on the fly due to poor training programs that are relatively uncomprehensive. - Lots of responsibility for little pay, your expected to work between 3 different departments with very little training. It increases anxiety during customer interaction that require you to have strong knowledge about the services you offer. By the time the day is over, your mentally exhausted due to so much of the job being improvisational-People are nice for the most part as most of the issues laid out are organizational and the schedule is relatively flexible. Your also given a fairly long leash so you don't have to worry too much about job security.

Productive and Fun Workplace

The job I did at London Drugs was predictable and methodical, so I knew what to expect with every shift. The best part of my job was several of my co-workers, who made the job fun and a joy to come to work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at London Drugs. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement