London Drugs Employee Reviews

slow workplace
warehouse management (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC20 February 2019
training was very top notch compared to other companies, but lacked true learning. pretty boring and not a fun place to work at in my opinion. bland uniforms , bland employers.
Fun Workplace, Customers great ,Horrible Management
Audio/Visual/Photo - Customer Service/Sales (Former Employee) –  New Westminster, BC10 February 2019
Management is hit and miss. The Quality of how you are treated depends on the person(s) managing your dept or store.

Some of my managers were awesome, others do not treat you with dignity or respect.

There is room for advancement as long as your manager does not play favorites which was my personal experience.

I originally was hired for the Audio/Visual Dept. my manager was awesome and I had the opportunity to pick up extra shifts and even had a week or two of opening shifts when management was not available from time to time.

The store moves managers around and mine got transferred to a busier location. The new manager in the Audio/Visual dept. did not treat me with any dignity or respect and thought I was for lack of a better word an idiot. They tried to phase me out by cutting down my shifts, which is when I transferred to the camera dept.

In Cameras I had respect from my Assistant manager but not from the head manager who has been rumored to irrationally get upset at employees, write them up for insignificant mistakes even if it wasn't your fault but it happened on your shift, and who would constantly throw anyone who went against their word under the bus. All which I experience and happened to be true.

I worked in the Audio/Visual dept. around 3 years then moved on to Cameras, hoping to split shifts between the two especially since I wasn't particularly crazy about photography. I was forcefully transferred to the camera dept.

If you want full time hours and full benefits you have to move up to the management position. I asked for advancement
  more... opportunities yet my manager would not provide proper answers nor showed the willingness to further my training for a management position.
You need your managers approval for the go ahead before you can even apply for a position in management which you will receive emails about all the time.

Hours and Pay are Garbage, almost 40 hours one week, it's shift work, The following week you might have 20 to 25 hours.

Summer it slows down, Holidays it gets busy, you will be considered part time and receive partial benefits unless you can move into a management position.
Pros
Technology, Customers, Indoors
Cons
Shift Work, Management luck of the Draw, horrible pay.
Company going down hill
Camera Department (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC10 February 2019
Nice people, but not very knowledgeable when it comes to customer service. Worked there for over 10 years and never was given the opportunity to move up. Management varied from being too aloof to self-serving and vindictive. I do not recommend anyone to work for this company since they have lost touch with trying to keep staff satisfied.
Plus, too often stock ran out too fast in the warehouse. Hence, sales suffered on advertised special items.
Lots of unsatisfied customers complained.
I was made to clean up urine and fences by management even though it was not in my job description.
Store was infested with mice. So glad I left.
Pros
Good discounts
Cons
Terrible management. head office business improvement depart. are clueless.
Nice work environment
Early Morning Stock Crew (EMS) (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, AB7 February 2019
I really enjoyed the work culture and environment at London Drugs. Everyone was fairly easy to get along with, and it felt like being a part of a caring community. They provide lots of training and are very helpful when you have questions. Management there is very approachable and considerate.

For the most part, I felt like a valued member of the team working at London Drugs which was something I hadn't really experienced in other jobs, so I really appreciated that.
Pros
Nice people, good management, solid training
Cons
Benefits very limited, Wages not competitive, Not enough incentives
Good company with great benefits
Computer Department Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK30 January 2019
Everyone from head office down to the store manager always made sure they were helping the best they could. It was a great place to work. Also, the benefits were pretty good.

As an assistant manger the pay stayed the same after the 1st year
Pros
RTG Conference in Whistler, Bc
Cons
Assistant Store Manager was a micr manager
Great Place
Casual Seasonal Stock Service Graveyard (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 January 2019
Great place I have nothing bad to say, if I needed a day off for being only a seasonal casual worker they assisted and helped me out. Love working here.
Pros
Great place to work everyone is nice
Cons
its a bit far from where i live but still love it
What can I say?
VARIOUS POSITIONS (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 January 2019
What can I say? It was retail job. Team member were great people. The manager at my location was frustrating. Hours of work were unreliable. I did learn about inventory management.
great for students
Post office Specialist (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC8 January 2019
very accommodating for student life and exam schedules. Great while going to college or university. Decent starting wage benefits after 6 months and a year.
Good workplace with many jobs to offer.
Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB31 December 2018
- weeknight would be 5 hours at cash register with 15 minute break
- week end would be mostly at cash register with possibility of covering a break at cosmetics, and going on a 15 minute sales run
- very friendly staff
- good management
Pros
good amount of hours
Cons
mostly not able to give vacation days
My review with LD
Store Systems and Administration (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 December 2018
I’ve had a reasonable experience with London drugs it does have a revolving Management Team and it’s shift work otherwise it is a good place to work. I was trained on several positions I can do customer service, cash, computer specialist, store systems and aministration, expired goods also requires inventory management, Helping with photo electronics, helped with photos, help with pharmacy and many other hats.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Shift work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 December 2018
It was nice, days weren't tough, work obviously included but nothing too hard. the community there was actually really friendly, and the hours were manageable.
Pros
nice
Cons
nice
Decent starter job with potential
Department Maager - Photo Electronics (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC13 November 2018
I've stayed at London Drugs for 10 years up until this year, about 8 years longer than I originally planned...

Good company, good values, good culture, honest leaders, but a golden cage.

Terrible pay for new hires and even management, but their sales reflect the fact that they can't compete against some bigger players and also can't afford more competitive salaries. Almost non-existent commission structure so there is little to no incentive to sell.

Work days are typical 8 hours shifts with two 30 minute breaks. Electronics departments are the most interesting, you're always playing with new toys or talking to the most interesting customers. Ultimately head office demands more and more from the same people without touching their salaries, which have been frozen for years. Median age of the head office staff is easily in the late 40s or 50s and are growing increasingly out of touch with where the market will be. Clear example: London Drugs has some of the most terrible cellular activation execution I've ever seen. Some stores have almost no staff capable of activating a cellphone and for the staff that are good at it, the commission at competing companies is lucrative enough to get them to leave, it's absolute pennies to activate customers at LD and hardly worth the effort.

Meanwhile, companies like Amazon are really putting the squeeze on your classic box retailers like London Drugs and you can see it in the faces of the staff and the slowing customer traffic.

Older staff are on the old pay scale and make as much as a Masters graduate yet are often less effective
  more... than the kid getting paid half their salary... The company doesn't let people go, which is generally nice, but it certainly doesn't pressure them to keep up with the times as much as it should.

I wish the company the best going forward, but something drastic will need to change if they plan on growing. Otherwise it's a slow, agonizing death march for a truly great Canadian company.
Pros
Culture, Management, Customers
Cons
Terrible pay for new hires, departments are often understaffed, can't seem to compete with other dedicated and specialized retailers
cliquey
Maintenance Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC10 November 2018
the company was very task oriented and left little room for advancement, however I managed to move into building maintenance after only a few years but never felt accepted
An Oasis of Decency in the Slough of Retail
Department Manager/Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB8 November 2018
Retail people are overworked and underpaid. London Drugs does things differently, they treat their people with dignity and respect. It shows, too: look at all the people who have been there 10,20, even 30 years. You don't see that in retail.
Pros
Decent culture, Management
Cons
Shift work
Average Retail Position
Sales (Current Employee) –  Canada5 November 2018
Although a better experience in retail, it is still retail. It's low pay and you are underappreciated for your efforts. Communication between head office and the stores are awful and it is clear that they have very little experience at the store level. This makes some aspects of the job frustrating. There is less turn-over compared to other retail positions I have experienced.
Neutral Work Space but Lack of Opportunities for Success
Lab Attendant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 October 2018
Did not gain opportunities for success within this company. Felt held back, and felt that lack of hours I received reflected in the lack of success available to me within the company.
Management have become a bunch of delicate flowers and are always stressed
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB19 October 2018
I worked there for some time, it didn't long for me to become unhappy with management., sometimes difficult to get time off especially when everyone wanted the same days off. Management can be insulting in the public eye, I was one aisle over when management compared me to another coworker who was not as good as me when it came to facing. coworkers would insult you in front of customers.
Ugly uniforms,
I did enjoy some time there too, however the not so pleasant outweighs the great times, As far as family business. Nothing compares to when i worked at zellers.

I will never go back to working there, not if i can help and either will my kids if i have any say..

If your a hard worker, you don't get much credit for that when the slackers get away with doing as little as possible.
Pros
I can't think of any.
Cons
Management stressed, ugly uniforms, breaks fall behind, so much bs.
Short staffed
Customer Service - Cashier Clerk - Ambassador (Current Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC9 October 2018
Retail - Anything can happen at any moment. Composure is everything. Always be on your game. And always find something to chuckle about by the end of the day.
good place to work
stock/cashier (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC6 October 2018
London Drugs was a great place to work, I learned so many different types of jobs while working there. My shift mainly started at 5am, so much to do at that time, between changing prices, putting and taking down a ad, merchandising, or stock.
Pros
great hours
Cons
early mornings
Great workplace but really bad management
Trade specialist (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC21 September 2018
Great co-workers, production personnel at DSC. Everyone like a family, and company has a lot of policies and procedures which is really good. This was a really great part of the job. Unfortunately, maintenance dept. management are far behind, they are not care about equipment neither people who work there. DSC location is really remote and if you don't have a good car it ll be a trouble to get here. Big turn over through maintenance department. Management just create a drama around. No parts available and if you try to fix machines properly, they just punish you and request to put broken parts back . Yes, management just getting a bonuses for it.That is why whole department contain unqualified personnel. Company and culture is great especially it is local company, but huge budget cuts and disrespect people and the work that has been done is just bring all equipment and operation down.
Pros
Co-workers, Company culture, policies and procedures
Cons
Management, no parts., unqualified personnel

Ask a question about working or interviewing at London Drugs. Our community is ready to answer.