Loblaw
How has this company responded to COVID‑19?
Learn more

Loblaw Employee Reviews

Canada5,107 reviews
Found 5,107 reviews matching the search
Not bad for a high school student who needs a job to make money. Better options out there tho. If you get a good departmental manager then scheduling is a breeze, otherwise it can be SO annoying.
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
Long hours, micromanaging managers.
A okay place to start unless, you plan staying there for the rest of your life. No advancement is available nor was the offer of full-time given when needed. The underachiever's get more than the overachievers. The managers lack in their department of holding people accountable for their actions. People tend to take emotions out on others and think its okay. The tasks were not hard to do but however, when there is no supplies that you need in order to get your job done makes it very difficult.
Pros
benefits, many departments
Cons
bad management, people who work hard not appreciated, no advancement until others leave or quit, not treated equally
They don’t know how to respect their employees Having 1400 workers on strike now in Newfoundland and not bugging on the agreement they should be paying their employees more and giving their part time people benefits, sick time etc
Pros
People
Cons
No benefits for part time people
The company are very responsable to all employees and all employees very happy too. Because That I know if the head are good to employees and the employees replying a good worked and attitude each other with respected
They say all the right things regarding safety and all that but the truth is they simply don't care. you get hurt and again you will think they might actually care but no.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
They just don't care
Absolutely awful! Managers are rude, will not accommodate for you, cashier staff is snippy and supervisors abuse privilege. Always scared to ask for help because they treat you like you’re dumb. Worst job I’ve EVER had. Would rather be broke than work here
Pros
Cons
Staff
I worked in the bakery department, I loved half of my co-workers. I was part time so hours were flexible around the school year. Even if you work hard and your manager knows you are a good worker you still won’t get a raise.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
No wage increase
Physically demanding environment. Required to lift over 40lbs sometimes over shoulder height. SOME direct supervisors displayed bias (gender and racial). High rate of turn over. Not enough adequate measures in place to protect during COVID-19.
Pros
Free work gear, SOME friendly warehouse workers.
Cons
Potentially dangerous and physically draining, Hence high rate of turn over, Workers are just another tool.
I think the job itself would have been more tolerable if it weren’t for lazy management. All managers and assistant managers disappear constantly for long periods. Managers and assistants are very angry and bully like when they have to step in and do any type of work. Very toxic work culture.
Pros
Work is not all that bad
Cons
Managers make it unbearable
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Loblaw?
I was the person to push carts and return items as well as to help customers find items they needed. Nice place to work with a clean fast paced environment.
A typical day can sometime by stressful or beneficial. It's busy in a good way some days, and bad in some days. It comes with the workload. I'm learning a great deal for myself. Management can learn to be better managers. The culture is not impressive. There are some great people but not all. The most enjoyable part of the job, is that one can learn an great deal and move up the rank if possible
Pros
Great future benefit
Cons
Tuition assistance is too small of an amount
Employees should be given 1 hr break to eat lunch properly.
Location is good for students and good for part time job. Easy work environment. Flexibility is required.
Pros
2 breaks for 7-8 hour shift for 30 minutes and 15 minutes
Cons
Standing for long hours at same place
If you are willing to work, this place has hours for you to work. I've been lucky to work there, especially during these Covid times. Some departments offer more hours than others. Some departments are more physically demanding than others.
Pros
Many Hours
Cons
Some people don't work well.
Very fast paced and busy; must be able to think fast and multitask. Job itself isn’t too bad, but as expected in a retail setting, unpleasant customers can take a toll on you. Understaffing often resulted in being phoned in to cover shifts which can be annoying if you have a restricted availability. Upside is that they have internal training for pharmacy clerks to be promoted to pharmacy assistants.
Pros
Part time benefits, opportunities for growth
Cons
Busy, understaffed, angry customers
The job itself was not terrible, however working for a big corporation will definitely make you feel like a robot. I have once repeatedly complained about physical pain doing this one job, and they did not do anything about it until I actually severely hurt myself.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
boring and repetitive
Supervisor is very nice. He guide and teach you at the workplace. You really enjoy your co-worker they are supportive to help you in every task you encountered in different situation.
The company doesn't care about their employees at all. Any concerns you have, they will just ignore you. High turnover. Only positive thing is the co workers are very nice.
Pros
Nice co-workers
Cons
Uncaring and cold store managers
Extensive usage of excel
Some times boring

Learning opportunities

Some managers are good and qualify, but others aren't

Inclusive environment

Flexible schedule
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Low salary and benefits
A typical day for a personal shopper consist of.... going around the store picking products to complete online orders, running outside to deliver groceries, helping cutomers on the sales floor, and everything in between. I enjoy working with my super friendly colleagues at my store and the chitchats that we have when we are not that busy. Oftentimes, the company would provide free snacks for employees which was an added bonus. However, like all workplaces there are some minor flaws. For example, my onboarding was a little hasty and I was not even oriented properly to face my first day(probably they forgot to train me but when I brought it up after "one month" they were quick to respond and got my loblaws account activated, so I can look up my schedule online). Secondly, my schedule was not consistent at all, with hours dipping and rising frequently. Lastly, they should approve discounts for employees way earlier rather than waiting for 6 months. Seriously!

To summarize, my experience at superstore was decent for my first job . I would recommend Loblaw retail stores for anyone looking for their first job.
Pros
free snacks, friendly management and colleagues
Cons
Inconsistent hours, min. wage
I started there roughly a month ago. They have an online scheduling program called FLIP.CA Being the type of person I am, I will check my schedule, every day, To see if I was working that night. About a week ago, I was informed that I missed two shifts, when I looked at my schedule, I have not. Today I got a call from there be knighted Assistant manager, informing me that my services were requireed. Not a fair company to work for do yourself a favour and don’t even apply.required
Pros
Nice co-workers
Cons
Unsupportive management
I only work for a month at the superstore, I was very excited but unfortunately it was not a good experience, excluding the main manager of the superstore and few workers many of them are full of ego and they were very rude.

I used to work 3 days a week and only 12 hour in a week and there is no job security as after one month my supervisor told me that he don't have any hours to give me and they didn't even call me for any other position in the superstore.