Loblaw Management reviews

Found 701 reviews matching the search See all 2,082 reviews
A good company to work for.
Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB25 December 2018
Overall, I have enjoyed my experience with Loblaw. In the corporate offices there are moments of stress, but generally speaking, the management team is fairly laid back and the flexibility great.

Working remotely is widely accepted in the office, and management cares more about getting the job done vs. clock watching. Which as a young professional, I highly value. From what I have heard, there has been a major shift in culture over the last few years.

Salaries are below average compared to competing companies. However, there is enough growth opportunity within the company. This is specific to Winnipeg - in order to get a reasonable salary increase, you should set a goal to make it to management. Analyst salaries are fairly average.

It's not the perfect work environment, but it is acceptable. I would recommend it to others.
Pros
Flexibility, remote work options, laid back management, strong culture, education subsidies
Cons
Average salaries at best, and colleague talent pool is fairly low
Worst place I've ever worked for
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edson, AB19 September 2018
Loblaw is a sad company to work for , low pay and the company itself (not the workers ) really don't care at all about their employees, the administration does not give discounts to employees for the incredibly low pay they give , if your lucky to might get a useless gift card after 6 months and may get a .27 cents raise after a year ,
They will literally throw ANY employee under the bus if an incident occurs , they hire 16-18 yrs old to do safe counts with no experience, no body but the manager /superviser should be ever be inside a safe with $5000-$30,000 in cash.
In cases of emergencies they want there employees to run into a burning building to save all there books and files you can grab , don't believe me , check out their " emergency protocol handbook. They pay you nothing to risk your neck to protect their butt.
Pros
Meet new people
Cons
Poorly managed but great employees
Assembler/ forklift operator (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC2 January 2019
Worked here for 2 years so far and the employees are great once they respect you and know your willing to work and stick around. Pays decently plus if you exceed the standard you get up to and extra $10 and hour on top of what you make. Downside to this job it’s fast paced and your very likely to get hurt if your not careful and there is a lot of people that struggle to speak English making communication espically difficult When there is heavy traffic in the lanes, And there is never any supervisors around the floor and they don’t take things seriously until something bad happens.
Pros
Paid vacation, great benefits and employees
Cons
No supervisors ever around. Out to fend for yourself
Great Benefits, Poor Overall
Pharmacy Assistant (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON6 November 2018
Loblaws can be a good company to work for, depending on the banner. They own No Frills, Independant, Loblaws, Zehrs and others. In the pharmacy we were not unionized. the benefits were great and they had an employee share plan. In the past couple years head office had changed their priorities. Pharmacists are burdened with quotas to meet, while having to make the most money for the pharmacy. This has meant leaving the pharmacy without enough support staff to operate properly. Often the pharmacist is left alone to deal with every part of the pharmacy when he should be free enough to talk with customers and give advice. This is not the case anymore in this company. Pharmacists are overworked and underpaid. There is a trend in this company of firing employees after more than a decade to cut costs regardless of performance. I have seen a really good pharmacist get fired at christmas for no reason other than the fact that he made so much money with his years in the company. He was a model employee and Loblaws treated him very poorly Its a typical example of the higher up people telling you how to do your job yet not having done it themselves in a long time. Management puts you in a position to fail and then reprimands you for it.
Pros
Benefits, RRSPs, Stocks
Cons
Greedy, Poor Values
Complex and challenging place to work
Sr. Law Clerk (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON22 June 2018
Loblaws is an incredibly demanding workplace environment. Not only does the retail industry change and shift constantly, but the business is doing the same to keep up. If you enjoy change, and change management, you like being agile and having the "work from anywhere" flexibility then this is your workplace. The legal department has lawyers for many practice areas, but with tightening budgets and business constraints over the last few years, has led to a reliance on law clerks for substantive work. However, resources are so lean that it puts a huge amount of stress and responsibility on a clerk which can wear you down along with the long hours and massive volume of marketing.
Pros
ongoing training, philanthropy opportunities, great benefits and onsite Goodlife fitness, and fun activities such as volleyball, hockey, baseball etc.
Cons
Long hours, complex business and adversarial business partners, remote location.
dont waste your time
General Worker (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON6 January 2019
hard labourer, keep raising pay to try and keep people. have to hit standards or supervisors down your throat. dont waste your time at this place and look in a different field or factory. do have good benifits pays good. co-workers are good. management could work on their people skills. just stay away save your back.
Pros
pay benefits
Cons
management
Great place to work if you don't mind long hours
Store Administrator (Current Employee) –  Canada24 December 2018
Nice Management team. Great people. Expect to work long hours with no set days off. Company working on workplace culture. Great benefits and pension plans.
Great place to work at overall
Clerk (Current Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON15 October 2018
Great place to work at. For the most part a very chill and easy-going place to work at while maintaining a rather respectable quality to the job position. However the management is very poor.
Pros
Benefits and job security
alright job
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  London, ON26 November 2018
Initially a great job to work at, amazing staff and mangers. Had our manager leave and got a new one and 7 long time employees quit in 3 month and completely change the work environment for the worse
Pros
good benefits for all staff
Cons
management
An average workplace
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  London, ON14 June 2018
Most coworkers were great people, some clearly didn't want to be there. Some managers were nice and helpful, and others were downright poisonous to the workplace. Work culture was all right, but advancement does not come easily (I didn't get a proper review for years). All in all, I can't really recommend the experience unless you just need any job.
Pros
Work-life balance
Cons
Management, salary
Good benefits for part-time staff. That's about it.
Home Meal Replacement Clerk (Former Employee) –  London, ON20 September 2018
- Always understaffed.
- Horrible store management (many department managers were okay and did their best). Very passive aggressive.
- Minimum wage jobs that expect you to push yourself beyond your limits.
- Management was too lazy to fire anyone. People who don't work keep their jobs. People who only show up to 1/5 of their shifts keep their jobs.
- A few nice regular customers but many awful ones who will yell at you for things beyond your control/things that are company policy.
- Very high stress, hard to not let it get to you.
- Broken equipment was only fixed if it was the only piece of equipment or absolutely necessary (half of the ovens in the hot food department were pretty much just there for decoration).
- No drinks allowed in the department. Even in the middle of summer when you spend your whole day around ovens and may or may not get your breaks. No pity for staff who feel faint/ill from the heat.
- Coworker has really bad B.O. and you already tried talking to him about it? Aw, too bad. That's an awkward conversation to have, but no manager will do anything about it.
- Needless to say; I did my time, got my benefits, got a new job and got out.
Pros
Benefits (50% eyewear, for example), lots of scheduled hours (because no one ever wants to work)
Cons
Chronic understaffing/cutting of hours, horrible management, many angry/rude customers, awful working conditions in the heat, very high stress
A lot of lipservice
Director (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON18 November 2018
Senior Management talks about work life balance, and building a strong environment of respect and culture. Yet in reality expectations are ridiculously unreasonable, turnover is extremely high, culture preaching is only in good times, but when results aren't favorable you're only as good as your last day. Processes are a mess, way too many layers of people to deal with to get anything done, it's an extremely frustrating place to work at.

They quietly lay people off and continue to dump the work on those remaining, expecting them to just absorb it. I would never work for this organization again, looking to leave ASAP.
silly
Loss Prevention Investigator (Former Employee) –  Lower Sackville, NS11 September 2018
Loss prevention there is a joke. Basically cannot perform the job due to the policies in place. Management is awful. Low pay. Benefits are half okay..
Pros
discount on groceries, benefits
Cons
management is awful, company makes too many cuts
Working here was rough
SHIPPER / RECEIVER (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON4 June 2018
Working in the warehouse was a trying experience. The turnover rate is high so you'll often be exposed to new people. Management at least at our location often treated employees as disposable likely increasing turnover. The pay and benefits were good, if you can work long enough to earn them. The idea of a "blue culture" was often thrown about but most of the time we were demeaned to the point of employees having regular panic attacks.
Management really ruins it
Personal Shopper (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK22 July 2018
I worked in 2 positions for the company and the management really ruined the whole experience. While coworkers were fantastic, management was always very unhelpful and never went above and beyond... barely made expectations.

Benefits were okay, salary was passable.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Challenging and interesting work load in an inclusive culture
HR Administrator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 May 2018
Working at Loblaw Companies Limited fueled my desire to continue in the HR field. A typical day at work would include processing payroll daily for the colleagues / managers, screening and interviewing potential new candidates,onboarding new hires, analyzing inventory and financial reports / errors, processing invoices, conducting orientation and planning events for the location I was in.

I learned so much about employee and labour relations while working there - it motivated me to drive my career towards that facet of HR

I thoroughly enjoyed the work as well as the people I worked with. The management team and culture at my location was inclusive, team-oriented and overall positive.
Pros
The work, the people, location, learning and developing
Working culture and opportunities
SAP Analyst (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON21 July 2018
Great company to work for, one of the best senior management. Very good work life balance really enjoyed working 28 years for Loblaws.
I have had the opportunity to work on different positions within Loblaws each position had challenges of its own, I really enjoyed working hard and learning new things. The best thing was the opportunity to learn new systems and work on various projects. The most difficult time was SAP store go live nights, we always had issues with various items, but we worked like a team and made sure all issues were fixed before the stores opened for business.
Pros
Best senior management, great working culture
Cons
Not so good middle management
good for part time job
Accounting Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 October 2018
When I start working in this company, it was a week of being in Canada. I had no idea about any work and policy,all i was thinking was to make money and survive. You had to be on call all the time and as soon as you reject to work for one day you will lose lots of other hours bc they don't like to hear NO. I didn't have any good experience in this company but everyone has to start somewhere.
Pros
nothing
Cons
long hours with short break, poor culture, bad management
Would not recommend
Loss Prevention Officer (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB23 March 2018
Little room for job advancement and even if you do get some sort of promotion you have little to none job security. You are not rewarded at all for your accomplishments and after working your a** off for a year trying to be the best colleague that you can you are rewarded with about a $300 raise at the end of the year, virtually a kid in the balls.
Pros
free lunched about 2 times per year, usually PC food that is about to expire and cannot be sold to the public
Cons
Management doesn't really care so if you are late for your shift its no big deal
Friendly work environment
Salad Bar Clerk (Current Employee) –  Spruce Grove, AB3 June 2018
An excellent place to work, with friendly colleagues and wonderful management. A very secure job with plenty of flexibility. They provide health care benefits after a probationary period as well as opportunity for raises.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Loblaw. Our community is ready to answer.