Loblaw Management reviews

Not so great
Stock Replenisher (Current Employee) –  Brockville, ON19 October 2018
The environment is abussive, racially insensitive and does not facilitate a healthy lifestyle. Management is a mess, schedule changes frequently without any notice and the union does nothing about it.
Also. They push for a “healthy ‘blue culture’”, but don’t follow it beyond what they have to post for their manager’s only private Facebook wannabe.
Pros
Don’t have to deal with the public
Cons
Nights
Terrible
Overnight Associate (Former Employee) –  Brandon, MB17 October 2018
Fired due to depression, aniexty and ocd...

Management doesnt listen and no time off is ever given

Management needs to be overhaulled and redone as well as much else in the store

I was left on my own 4 times within the first week i worked there
Pros
Cons
Expections to high
It’s okay if you only want to work a few days a week.
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, AB16 October 2018
Job can be demanding. Lots of favouritism when it comes to management and Colleagues. Managers also don’t give two s**ts about you or any problems you have regarding the store. Lots of departments who deal directly with customers are understaffed and overwhelmed because there is always such a high turnover rate. Customers are generally nice, of course there are some who think they are on top of the world. The Meat department supervisor Jazz is a cow. Thinks she’s a queen but treats everyone like dirt. Two of the assistant store managers are so rude that you just have to deal with it.
Pros
Not much.
Cons
Rude Management, Supervisors are jerks. Understaffed.
Great place to work at overall
Clerk (Current Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON15 October 2018
Great place to work at. For the most part a very chill and easy-going place to work at while maintaining a rather respectable quality to the job position. However the management is very poor.
Pros
Benefits and job security
Warehouse
Warehouse Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON4 October 2018
Loblaws is an ok place to work if you need money as they pay quite well. The only thing is management is not very friendly and the quota that you have to meet is unreasonable.
Pros
You get 2 breaks each one is 22 minutes
Cons
Management and quotas
good for part time job
Accounting Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 October 2018
When I start working in this company, it was a week of being in Canada. I had no idea about any work and policy,all i was thinking was to make money and survive. You had to be on call all the time and as soon as you reject to work for one day you will lose lots of other hours bc they don't like to hear NO. I didn't have any good experience in this company but everyone has to start somewhere.
Pros
nothing
Cons
long hours with short break, poor culture, bad management
overall good place to work, with little advancement opportunities
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Rothesay, NB28 September 2018
If you want to advance your career, Loblaws is not where to do it. They are constantly cutting hours and eliminating full time jobs to save money. The management they hire is questionable, and is the reason why the culture in the store I was in was so bad. There is a lot of favoritism and nepotism. The work itself was a lot of fun, really fast paced, and always something to do.
Pros
the work itself
Cons
management
Needs to be looked into
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON23 September 2018
Loblaw bells corners is truly a terrible place to work. Firstly, management is corrupt and very unethical. Secondly, there is a lot of racism that takes place in numerous departments. Despite reports, no one looks into it or notes it as serious. 3rd employers were made to fill out a survey on how happy they are, and the results were very low. They did this twice in the space of 3 months. I think that speaks volumes, both managers are very rude and are not respectful towards those who work there. I can name 10 people who were hired and quit in the same month. I think someone was looking into the current managers and see that these people they hire are actually homophobic and racist individuals that don't consider or follow store policies.
Pros
my pay check
Cons
Favouritism and very poor management
Good benefits for part-time staff. That's about it.
Home Meal Replacement Clerk (Former Employee) –  London, ON20 September 2018
- Always understaffed.
- Horrible store management (many department managers were okay and did their best). Very passive aggressive.
- Minimum wage jobs that expect you to push yourself beyond your limits.
- Management was too lazy to fire anyone. People who don't work keep their jobs. People who only show up to 1/5 of their shifts keep their jobs.
- A few nice regular customers but many awful ones who will yell at you for things beyond your control/things that are company policy.
- Very high stress, hard to not let it get to you.
- Broken equipment was only fixed if it was the only piece of equipment or absolutely necessary (half of the ovens in the hot food department were pretty much just there for decoration).
- No drinks allowed in the department. Even in the middle of summer when you spend your whole day around ovens and may or may not get your breaks. No pity for staff who feel faint/ill from the heat.
- Coworker has really bad B.O. and you already tried talking to him about it? Aw, too bad. That's an awkward conversation to have, but no manager will do anything about it.
- Needless to say; I did my time, got my benefits, got a new job and got out.
Pros
Benefits (50% eyewear, for example), lots of scheduled hours (because no one ever wants to work)
Cons
Chronic understaffing/cutting of hours, horrible management, many angry/rude customers, awful working conditions in the heat, very high stress
Worst place I've ever worked for
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edson, AB19 September 2018
Loblaw is a sad company to work for , low pay and the company itself (not the workers ) really don't care at all about their employees, the administration does not give discounts to employees for the incredibly low pay they give , if your lucky to might get a useless gift card after 6 months and may get a .27 cents raise after a year ,
They will literally throw ANY employee under the bus if an incident occurs , they hire 16-18 yrs old to do safe counts with no experience, no body but the manager /superviser should be ever be inside a safe with $5000-$30,000 in cash.
In cases of emergencies they want there employees to run into a burning building to save all there books and files you can grab , don't believe me , check out their " emergency protocol handbook. They pay you nothing to risk your neck to protect their butt.
Pros
Meet new people
silly
Loss Prevention Investigator (Former Employee) –  Lower Sackville, NS11 September 2018
Loss prevention there is a joke. Basically cannot perform the job due to the policies in place. Management is awful. Low pay. Benefits are half okay..
Pros
discount on groceries, benefits
Cons
management is awful, company makes too many cuts
unethical management behavior
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Québec City, QC10 September 2018
Many of the supervisors with whom I worked did not "allow" front-end employees to call in sick. When I called in sick with bronchitis (the first time I ever called in sick), a day before my scheduled shift, my manager threatened to take away my position of the shift supervisor. Over-all VERY unorganised management. Employees with any form of authority, take advantage of that authority and are very rude to the cashiers, usually in front of customers. This only shows customers how unprofessional the staff that work for this company are.
Pros
Union
Cons
Management, poor treatment of employees
Awful
Subordinate (Current Employee) –  Alberta6 September 2018
Management doesnt care they get angry about work not being done but refuse to make any changes or to make people accountable. They rely on few good employees until they can no longer maintain healthy state of minds. They talk about health, well being and blue culture but have little care about actual employees, numbers is all they look at. Dirty store, disgusting areas hidden from customers.
Super easy and repetitive
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB31 August 2018
It was hard to memorize all the codes at first and customers get really frustrating because some have the most stupid demands. Its a good job though because it exposes you to many different customer and manager personalities and punching in the codes becomes easier over time. Its a pretty routine job so you go on autopilot after awhile. Biggest problem is probably the customer service aspect because many people have high demands
Pros
stability, easy, coworkers, management, discount
Cons
rude customers, late hours
productive, breaking new grounds, stimulating
Product Process/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 August 2018
productive days within work to further improve my skills in customer service, management was very insightful of further goals with the company building and expanding for the future, workplace was very much alive, high paced and exciting
Another big Canadian company
Loss Prevention Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 August 2018
Without Morales. They do not care about their staff. They only pretend to show they are a humane all Canadian company, in realty they only care about getting to the top at any cost. The managers all became managers by backstabbing and climbing on others backs. If you care about humanity you will not make it at Loblaws. If you see something wrong and speak out, you'll loose your job. If you challenge your managers because they are doing something wrong, you'll loose your job. Think about the old days of being a slave. This is a modern day slavery work place. You have no rights! It is all smoke and mirrors.
Pros
Non
Cons
All the above
Large Company with several departments
Business Process Lead (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON26 August 2018
High volume of work and long hours. But you have growth opportunities. Management structure is supportive. You can excel if you work hard and keep learning as you work.
Pros
High Profile Company with growth opportunity
stressful
ServiceNow Support Lead (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON25 August 2018
Everything is due yesterday. Pretty thankless job where management takes a very hands off approach. There's a lot of blame culture as well instead of taking ownership and coming to a resolution. Was told I could work from home twice a week before I was hired and when I started was told that's not the culture. On the bright side, I learnt how to have thick skin.
Management was terrible..
Night Replenishment Clerk (Former Employee) –  Barrington Street Atlantic SuperStore21 August 2018
There was way to much favoritism within this particular store, I personally couldn't get any advancements within here even when I did most of the assistant night managers duties. A friend of mine use to work there in bakery constantly applied for assistant bakery manager and never achieved it but she got tired of trying, relocated to another location, applied there and actually became bakery manager because she's that good. This one store in particular is extremely terrible, I wouldn't work there if I were u..... Saves you a bit of stress from management there!
Pros
Not much besides an odd few people there are great to become friends with.
Cons
Management, Favoritism
nice work place
Assembler (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON15 August 2018
great management,great experience. some days are tough but youll get through it. they enforce safety as priority and you get free coffee which can be nice.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Loblaw. Our community is ready to answer.