Loblaw

Found 130 reviews matching the searchSee all 4,077 reviews

Insights into Loblaw

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Trust in colleagues

Very busy at night stocking shelves,rotating of stock,cleaning up after the shift ends,sometimes heavy loads,fun crew to work with,some crew are lazy,and the union protects them.

Every day was challenging and a great place to learn about the food industry.

Grocery clerk job required that you work fast to stock shelves and help customers who have questions - there are many. There was a lot of diversity in the grocery clerk job. Responsible for stocking groceries to shelves located in aisles 2 through 10 including packaged and dry goods, bottled drinks as well as dairy/yogurt/cheese products and frozen foods. The Loblaws store is the largest grocery store in the area and the store is very busy, especially on holidays, Christmas and summer months with thousands of tourists in town. Colleagues were great and always helpful.

bad shift scheduling ruins the job

Started off with 3 shifts a week. So 21hrs each week. Which was fine i could pay my bills. Probation of 3months ended. Now i'm only getting 1 shift a week. Not making enough to make ends meet.The job itself is good, you can go at a moderate pace as long as the job gets done.

For students

Good place to work part time if you're a student. You get to learn time management to finish all your tasks for the shift. Promotions are a rare thing. Only a manager and one full timer for every department. Everyone else is a part timer.

Pros

Employee discount for groceries

Cons

Short staffed at times so you end up doing jobs for 2 -3 people.

Good wage

Managers are best. They alaays helped out. Take days off if you want.Easy job and pay according to your job duties. It’s good environment overall to work.

Okay first job

It's a okay first job pays good for what you do but you would not want to do it for the rest of your life to hard on the body and nights and weekends are tough

Pros

Free snacks

Cons

Nights weekends

management can be very rude and demeaning and expect way too much out of a minimum wage job. Customers are horrible there too

I've worked with two different locations. Half the people in management are completely out of it. Some management act like you're worth nothing, can be very rude and demeaning and expect way too much out of a minimum wage job.

Easy going place to work, relaxed, no pressure and respectful people around.

One of the best places I’ve ever worked. Working at Zehrs got me through College and I’m so appreciative that I worked there. It was close to my residence and that made my life a lot easier. I did apply about 7 times before I got it because it was really close to my house so I never gave up applying and eventually I got it. I also got it before the pandemic became so serious if not I’m not sure how I would have gone through college as an international student. For this I say thank you Zehrs and thanks to the people I worked with over night.

Pros

Friendly people, supportive, cheerful, and pizza every First Saturday of the month. Loved it

Cons

Working over night can be stressful but determination and your goal can keep you going.

Just okay.

Very easy but monotonous job; involves heavy lifting and being on your feet a lot. Fast paced and stressful when a heavy load comes in from warehouse, but other days it's fairly laid back and relaxed. When hired as part time, be prepared for fluctuations in hours but it's a decent salary if you can get in as full time. In regards to management, it differs at each store but most won't bother you if they see you're pulling you're own weight.Overall, it's just okay. Good for a paycheck and can easily forget about work after punching out but that's about it.

Pros

Employee benefits, pension, night premium, unionized

Cons

Manual labour, monotonous, very boring on a slow night

Horrible. Dont work here if you are student.

Don’t respect your school or other (sports, music) commitments. I said I can only work one day weekend and max 2 weeknights (which was a lot more than I could) and still scheduled me more than this. Understaffed because everyone hates it and leaves. Way to much work. Stressful because they threaten to fire you if you can’t work because of their scheduling and have no respect for peoples lives outside of the store. Overall don’t work here. There is a reason it’s ez to get hired.

Pros

Some of the coworkers (who also hate it), the end of a shift, payday

Cons

Long hours, terrible scheduling, stressful, not enough workers to do the work, not COVID safe, no discount or benefits

Part Time Worker

From my own experience working part time as a grocery clerk, Zehrs is a very good place to work. Hours are flexible and the people are always super friendly. The break room always has free snacks and coffee and occasionally hot meals are prepared for employees (i.e. a complete thanksgiving dinner). Sometimes we are understaffed due to unreliable workers and poor scheduling. Honestly it is exactly the type of work you'd expect at a minimum wage job.

Pros

friendly staff, easy work

Cons

understaffed, little opprotunity for full time hours

Only work here if you have to

I’ve been working here for just over a year now and I absolutely hate it here. Management doesn’t care about you whatsoever and some managers/supervisors still expect you to come in while you’re sick. I can’t even sit in the break room anymore because the managers are up there constantly talking about the other employees. The turnover rate is so high here because everyone knows they’re treated like garbage. So many people have left here to go work at sobeys just down the road and I can’t blame them. The job is extremely stressful, labour intensive, you have to work 9 hour shifts and you only make minimum wage. Don’t work here unless you really need a job because it’s not worth your sanity

Pros

They have snack in break room

Cons

Long hours, labour intensive, bad management

Less Exciting and tiring

Not so happy to work for them but have to do as a student. Trying to change to some other departments, overnight shifts are trash. Try avoiding them.

Pros

Extra Night Premium

Cons

Long hours and tiring work

Good Place to work

The management was really nice and accommodating to students, the other employees were also very easy to get a long with. Overall I recommend it, the only reason I resigned was because my body couldn’t adjust to night shifts.

Pros

Descent pay, good management

Cons

Can be stressful

Productive but less exciting

It was an ok place to work even though there weren’t any motivations or incentives for the work I did there. Overall, I had a great relationship with my immediate supervisors because I worked hard for them and they in turn respected and acknowledged me for that.

Pros

Ten percent Discount for employees

Cons

Very low wages

Poor place to work

I have had many different problems with scheduling and the store is managed very poorly. I feel like I was not treated properly and trained properly.

Pros

Just pay

Fun at work place

I enjoyed working with loblaw companies,motivating and energetic employees.excellent opportunities for better life. Cultural diversty at work which is good to know other cultures.

Pros

Parties and free lunches

Cons

Minimum pay is not sufficiant for grocery stockers.

Lots of work no hours

If you enjoy lots of work and no hours this is the place for you. You may give your supervisor your availability and they might ignore it and schedule you outside of your availability. Supervisors don't handle conflicts with employees very well, some just let their employees fight and stay out of it. This place has a very strange way of showing appreciation for their employees by cutting hours. Decided to put in that 15 or 30 minutes past your shift? Too bad, you won't get paid for that. Sign in a minute or two late? They are quick to cut that from your pay! Want no hours and stress added to your life? This is the pile of dung for you.

Pros

Going home

Cons

Everything!

Productive and fun working with my colleagues.

A very conducive environment to work along with great managers and colleagues. Free Lunch sometimes and free box of pizza every month for night crews. A place to grow and belong to the food supply chain.

Pros

Free lunches and break flexiblity

Cons

Short hours of work due to covid

Loblaws is a good place to work.

good place to work friendly environment. Managers are friendly. My experience I really liked working there. there’s not much training. Work alone .

Pros

Good benefits

Cons

Sometimes not enough hours.

Very happy to work here

Happy and everyone is so helpful. supporting when in difficult times.no bossing attitude with anyone.try to distribute the work whoever is capable for it.

Pros

Free tea and snacks

Cons

Less slot

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Loblaw. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement