Loblaw

Deli Associate139 reviews
Canada139 reviews

Found 139 reviews matching the searchSee all 4,077 reviews

Whatever

Loblaw is no place to advance in life and management at the store i was at sucked. Especially people takin smack aboit each other was consistent all the time idk why.

Great place to work!

I really enjoyed my time with Loblaws (Zehrs). The work environment was fun, supportive, and inclusive. Little opportunity to grow in some departments, but overall a great place to work! Good benefits as well.

interesting

Overall not a bad job, busy and repetitive. No raises, over worked and taking over responsibilities that are not associated with your job as well as no overtime pay.

Poor Management and Zero respect for employees

Will constantly schedule you against your availability, gives last minute scheduling and expects you to work your life around it last minute. Management picks on employees constantly threats of cutting hours and writing you up. The owners don’t control that place just the store manager. They want you to put costumers first but get mad if you leave your one department to help them.

Pros

Paid Weekly

Cons

Long hours, Unpaid Overtime, No benefits, No raise at all

Terribly mismanaged

Toxic micromanaging supervisors, cliquey insecure people, changing shifts without calling to let you know, sending you home early without asking if that's OK and then getting upset when not everything is done

normal part time job

it was okay, nothing special. just a part-time job with decently flexible hours. i worked in the deli and it was not a bad part-time gig for minimum wage.

Could be a better place to work

Hard work, vague team, somewhat management. Seniority in making a shift schedule, inability to choose good hours to work. Lifting heavy boxes, working in the freezer and with oven.

Pros

shift choice

Cons

seniority

Good for a first job, student job, or retirement gig, but pay is low and hours depend on sales

Typical day at work (typically 6-8 paid hours in this department) involves slicing and serving meat, cleaning through the day, production of in-store products, and stocking shelves as well as maintaining inventory records and ensuring health and safety standards are up to date. Sometimes making party trays as well, and taking orders for those trays over the phone or in-person. Night shifts (usually 4 hours, sometimes 5 in this department) usually involve serving meat, packaging meat for markdowns, topping off the stock in the shelves, and thorough cleaning and tidying. Sometimes a little extra work like tagging some by-weight products or fulfilling the do-once-a-week/month/year things on the cleaning checklist.Potential to learn a lot about various meats and cheeses if you have a little initiative.Can be super busy or super dead; rarely is business just steadily paced, at least in my location.Colleagues are friendly and helpful; plenty of collaboration between departments. Job skills can translate well to a warehouse, restaurant, or other retail role.However, these stores will only offer part-time for most positions, take any excuse to cut hours, pay a pittance, and then complain that "no one wants to work". Seems to be a ubiquitous issue in the service industry in general. A company could really stand out as an employer by not doing their staff like that, just saying.

Pros

Free snacks and coffee in break room, Easy & fairly routine work, Staff discount (occasional events with higher discount for a few days), Good coworkers, Very good with health & safety

Cons

Hours can vary wildly depending on sales volume, Barely over minimum wage, Some unreasonable customers

Slavery for 15 dollars an hour

Worst company ever! They expect you to work like super human and pay you minimum wage. They schedule you for the most stressful shifts when you are new, and when you don't work like superman they toss you out and tell you "sorry, we didn't like your performance "

Pros

Non

Cons

Super hard labor for minimum wage

Unmotivating and demoralizing place to work. Management and Supervisors are given little to no training.

Very unmotivating place to work. Management sees workers as incompetent and easily replaceable. Expectations and directions are vague and ambiguous. Advancement is based purely on subjective assessment by management and senior authorities.

Pros

It's a job and their is often free food in the lunchroom.

Cons

Short amount of time off between shifts. A 25 hour work week will be spread out over 5 days.

Stressful place

It was fun at first then we went on strike and the owner never got over it. Had his children doing whatever they wanted and putting them in positions they never should have had making it stressful on everyone else. Low staff high demands and very rude store manager that of course is owners friend. Very nice people just more geared towards helping friends and family than running a productive establishment.

Pros

Not many

Cons

Long hours, no overtime pay, stress and a manager that is defeating to especilally the teenagers making them cry often

Terrible

If you enjoy being depressed every time you’re getting ready to go to work at Loblaws than this job is for you. Nothing about this workplace brings me joy.

Too many cliques

After 7 years I was still not accepted with my department. The only reason I applied for the job was so that an acquaintance of mine would stop saying what a great place they are to work for, (they have never been employed by Loblaws themselves). For most of the time working in my department I have been the only employee who could only communicate in English. When I walk in a room they are all talking, sometimes I start to wonder if I am not the topic. That is the only good reason for switching languages I can think of.

Pros

not enough

Cons

no one listens

Very fun

Great first job. Learned a lot and made new friends. Learned customer service and how to work as a team. Like the charcuterie section the most and it was always relaxing

Not worth it

Jobs not worth the stress. Management is horrible and only cares about the favourites who have been there longer than you. You will get belittled if you need time off and are expected to take any shift that comes your way but still won’t have stable hours. No discounts or benefits even though they are promised. Cheap stingy company that isn’t worth the time or struggle of working there.

Pros

Free food in break room every now and then

Cons

Cliquey, cheap employer, poor management. Unethical

didn't like

it sucked. I worked there all throughout high school and did not like it, poor management, weekends were super busy and it was just customer after customer. glad I got out

Co-Workers are nice, managers are awful.

Co-Workers are nice, managers are awful. If there were actually good managers that cared for the co-workers then the experience would've been way better.

Pros

Co-Workers are nice.

Cons

Manager are awful

Productive and fun workplace

My boss and my co- workers are helpful. They assist me whenever I need help with a task given. There is always an open communication. They give feedback in a positively and constructive manner.

Good job

Salary and benefits were good, advancement good team spirits. The quality of President Choices menu and items were spectacular. The lasr manager before the closure of the store in 1993 was a team leader.

Pros

good salary

Cons

was in the 80-90 bit male chavinist

Loved my job

I enjoyed my time at the store. I had a good report with the customers and I was able to do other jobs such as cashier , deli clerk, market garden and the fish market. I moved with ease among the 4 places and it made it interesting to be at work.

Pros

Fun job

Cons

None really

enjoyable interaction with customers and employees

beginning or starting off is convenient and accessible because of location, managers are more facility inclined and don't encourage associates, retail creates possibilities among customers and co workers alike following simple tasks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Loblaw. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement