Loblaw

Loblaw Employee Reviews for Cashier

Cashier402 reviews
Canada402 reviews

Found 402 reviews matching the searchSee all 4,080 reviews

Stressful, not for people with anxiety.

Staff was friendly. The managers are lovely. WAY TO MANY codes to remember, can be stressful when busy as a cashier. Registers likes to freeze from time to time which can be annoying when you have customers waiting. The registers are also very outdated and hard to read the screen, except the self-checkouts with is modern. Pros:- Friendly Staff and Managers- 10% off groceriesCons:- Registers likes to freeze, are also very outdated. - Remembering thousands of codes for things.

Hypocrisy

I have been asked to perform tasks beyond my duties, I came anytime when needed as a part-tome cashier. Pandemic was the only reason I had had the chance to work as much as I could. I was hoping that my "dedication" (that my manager was asking for) will make me valued. "Nobless oblige" is for fools. When all was safe, people with powerful positions forced their off-springs to take all the hours, training, while I am pushed to almost no hours to work. From 70 hours per week, I am down to 20 or even 10.I understand Canadian kindness when it is towards a pet or a wild animal. Towards no-connection unfortunates, think of those residential schools.

Face paced but relaxed workplace nice people

Was very busy when there made the day go quick coustomers were friendly and staff were great, very accommodating, but once they found out I had a record from more than 30 years ago they let me go! Saying if I got a pardon they would hire me back lol... A pardon cost alot more than what I would even make there in a year! So guess I won't be going back any time soon!

Pros

Always lot's of coustomers day goes quick

Cons

Covid 19

Not good for high school students

I started working there over the summer which was perfect cause the hours were amazing but when I started my senior year of high school that’s when everything went left. I was 1 of 2 high schoolers in the whole department so I don’t think management were used to having to accommodate to us. I was constantly getting scheduled 30 minutes after school ended which I explained to them that it take me almost 1h to get home from school so it would be impossible for me to make it on time. They constantly called me during school hours trying to get me to come in and when I try to explain to them that I’m in school at the moment they wouldn’t understand. For a department with people 30+ years old, they were so cliquey and immature. They made fun of my hair and stuff and constantly picked fight with me and the other high schooler like we’re they’re age mates. Overall I think it Could be a good experience just the location that I worked at was terrible

Nice colleagues. ready to help each other

overall its a good starter job. very physical. you can adjust after 1-2 months after remembering most of the produce cods.some times you have to deal with the rude customers.

Pros

10% discount .twice in a year 20% discount

Cons

some rude customers and supervisors. minimum pay

Not Flexible and Toxic

I spent two months working at Loblaws and I ended up quitting because of how inflexible they were with my schedule and how toxic and unsupportive I found the staff and management. At one point during my employment I contracted COVID and could not come in and in response they began to frequently call me and tell me I was letting the entire team down because I was unwilling to come in to work sick and potentially infect my co-workers. That was the point in which I ultimately decided to quit, and the two other employees I trained with have since quit as well due to similar reasons (inflexible scheduling and unwillingness to work it out).

Ok workplace

Fast paced, easy to learn the role, lots to do, can move up to supervisor, coworkers are friendly, pay is minimum wage, some benefits, union job, easy to get

Get lots of free stuff which is definitely a bonus.

The job is definitely a good starting job as they hire a lot of young people. It is a very diverse place the only thing I would say is the management isn't very diverse.

Fast paced job

I worked as a cashier it was very fast paced and you serve a lot of customers throughout the day which can get a bit stressful. The hours can also vary between 4-8/hr shifts and managers are understanding if you are a student.

Pros

flexible schedule

Cons

understaffed

Ok job but not the best

Was a nice place to work at, but could barely get any hours. They base everything on seniority, and that’s understandable, but refuse to give anymore hours when you need them.

Dangerous and Bad Management

So don't get me wrong had great management until the store manager decided to send to another store or fire all management that didn't agree with her decisions and they didn't care about commitment at all when covid hit I was doing around 70 hours a week but when things calmed down they got rid of my position and had me become a basic cashier who was now fighting for hours with new people so now I went from doing around 70 hours to 15 hours asked management for more hours and they gave me 1 extra hour so I quit.

it was alright

The work was easy, but it became very monotonous. Being a cashier meant you have to stay at your station, I prefer moving around more at jobs. The more enjoyable things were 10% discount on groceries, the coworkers, and the free food they sometimes put out in the breakroom.

Don't work here too long

They will expect way too much from you and you'll be making the same as the people who don't even know the difference between a loonie and a toonie. The managers are all rude no matter what store you go to, and I've worked at 3 different Superstores. Managers want you to provide great service so they can get bonuses but don't even want to help.

Good workplace: lots of hours, good first job

Cashiers are always needed so you get lots of hours. Therefore, there is a sense of job security because cashiers are always being scheduled for work. There isn't much room for advancement unless you get chosen to work at the customer service desk, but I don't think there's much difference between the pay. My co-workers were nice. Management was pretty flexible, but obviously, senior employees get to choose what hours they prefer. However, even as a part-time worker I still go scheduled almost every day, especially on weekends.However, (from my experience) the store was often short-staffed. So, I was often left as the only cashier on the floor, which could sometimes get stressful (especially during evening rush hours after work) when we'd get long lines of customers who are tired of waiting. Pros: lots of hoursCons: minimum wage, standing for long hours,

Good workplace: lots of work, but not to difficult

Cashiers are always needed so you get lots of hours. Co-workers were nice and management was flexible with shifts. Often busy, with certain times of the days (especially weekday evenings after work & weekends) being super busy. Tasks involve cashing out customers and helping them bag their groceries. However, depending on the location (I can only speak from my own experience), the store can be short-staffed. This often created a stressful environment where either I and another cashier were left alone to handle the rush of customers, or sometimes I was left alone as the only cashier for the whole store. Which often resulted in huge lines and upset customers to handle alone. Pros: lots of hours, nice management Cons: minimum wage despite standing for hours, having to check out customers & bag groceries simultaneously

Okay job if you’re desperate

It was an okay first job but compared to the many others I’ve worked after, I would never recommend it to anyone unless they were completely desperate for money.

Pros

N/a

Cons

Long shifts, bad work culture

Not the worst place in the world to work

My co-workers and immediate supervisor were all great, but the pay, and the hours sucked. Also, being on your feet for your entire shift, except for breaks is hard.

Its ok

Management can be petty and disorganized. The work can cause repetitive strain, but the job itself is very stable. Don't be afraid to ask to switch it up like doing overstock or you might be forgotten about and left to do cash all day.

Pros

Discounts

Cons

Inflexible scheduling

its Okay

Work was okay, just like any usual grocery store. Work can be really busy on weekends. The management is okay too. But the worse part about the job would be the hour cutting. They cut a ridiculous amount of hours for employees for months together.

Not for me.

Working as a cashier at Loblaws is definitely not for me. After about two months I had a repetitive strain injury from constantly scanning groceries. My coworkers were nice for the most part, but I would not recommend this job for anybody.

Pros

Can do grocery shopping right after work.

Cons

Minimum wage, repetitive strain on shoulder.

It’s ok

It’s okay. The coworkers are great but management can be improved and clients are often abusive if not careful. Breaks are too short and very understaffed

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Loblaw. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement