Loblaw logo

Loblaw Employee Reviews

Work-life balance

Found 5,245 reviews matching the searchSee all 5,335 reviews

Great place

Great place to work with good environment as well as health and safety measures. Team leaders are good and caring. System and warehouse is well managed. Employees are appreciated.

Pros

Free ice creams once in a while

Cons

Time constraints

Terrible place to work, management doesn’t value hard workers and you’ll get paid more at McDonald’s then you would at superstore

I’ve worked at superstore for about 4 years now, pretty much since the start of highschool and I’m still making minimum wage, superstore is only for teenagers looking to save some money for a vehicle, it doesn’t pay enough or have enough hours to even try to save for college. There is no future for anyone at these stores who actually needs a decent living.

Fun workplace and very productive

Working there isn't too bad if you're looking for a really fast paced workplace and task oriented. Flexibility is an ongoing issue there and I've had bad experiences with past managers but overall the work staff are very friendly and can turn into your family very quickly!

Pros

10% discount, pre-covid free lunches, friendly work staff

Cons

Inconsistency with hours, availability

management is bad

Management is terrible and very condescending towards its employees. Coworkers are often in their own cliques and there is a lot of gossip at work. Best if you kept to yourself and just do your work.

Pros

Good benefits, union

Cons

Short breaks, bad management, unorganized

Great work place, great co workers and even better managers.

I've had a lot of jobs but this was by far the best. The work was hard, sure, but just about everything from my managers to my co-workers and the over all work culture made it this place one my favorite places to work and would love to work there again if I have ever the chance.

Pros

Great managers and co-workers

Cons

Some customers can be a bit much

All over good place to work

Customers are very rude, they behave very bad, sometimes manager/supervisor will give you hard time. For silly reasons your manager will yell at you, customers fault but you will get scolded by manager

Pros

Discounts

Cons

Not a very rewarding experience.

Lots and lots of work for little pay. Current union contract makes it impossible for young people to have incentive to stay there. 3-5 years of work now before you can get benefits. Forget about asking for a raise too, as that’s not possible at Loblaws. Management can cut hours if you’re part time out of nowhere, usually around Christmas time. Experience or skill gets you nowhere here, as seniority reigns supreme, no matter how incompetent the person with seniority is. The only positive thing I can say about Loblaws is you bond a lot with other staff over how terrible it is to work there. If you want to be respected and feel good about the work you do, don’t even think about working here.

Pros

Other colleagues make it tolerable

Cons

Almost everything

Don’t work here

You can apply a million times and you won’t get a single call back, doesn’t help that it’s a grocery store plus the offer minimum wage, they have absolutly nothing to offer except making you work too hard, they don’t care about anyone trying to find a job, they only focus on who they know(managers). They don’t hire anyone except for who they know. I worked at the superstore as a meat clerk and in less than a year I was going to get moved to assistant manager and I moved, I haven’t heard anything from lloblaws or the superstore even though I got transferred. They are a joke and the job is a joke because they expect everyone that shows up to slack off, they don’t care about hiring and the clerks, but don’t ask me, ask the ones that work there, you should get your stuff together. Stop bragging about being such a good grocery store when the only people that makes you look good are the ones that you fire before knowing what they can actually do

Pros

Cons

Full time hours on part time shift, managers don’t train anybody, managers are way too lazy to be one, they can’t train so the employees have to do it for them

only go if it's temporary

they are cheap and expect a lot out of youalways under staffed, underpaid, and underappreciatedmanagement don't like when you call them out on their bolognaHire entitled brats straight out of school as managers- people who have never worked a day in their lives and still live with mom and dad

Pros

ok discount program

Cons

low pay bad management

Terrible

If you enjoy being depressed every time you’re getting ready to go to work at Loblaws than this job is for you. Nothing about this workplace brings me joy.

Jobs at Loblaw

See more jobs

Good work place

Decent pay and decent people people good to work with can get very stressful at times u gotta work very fast if ya wanna do well here they will let u go for any reason

Pros

Free lunches

Cons

Stressful and toxic place to work at. But, a good learning opportunity if you are a new grad.

Management will avoid hiring new employees to save on budget. Because of the cheep management, you end up overwhelmed with how much work you have on your plate. I had to stay late at the office to get the work done. Most of the time, I did not claim over time because management didn't like it. Job security is terrible! Salary is so low you can easily make 15k to 20k more doing the same job for other companies.Loblaw is a great place to learn as a first experience but would not recommend it for experienced professional.

Very poor pay hours cut but expect same results

Very poor payHours are constantly cut in depts but same results expected. Very stressful high pressure work environment with low pay no security snd high performance expectations.

Disrespects hours

Gave my hours, which they did not respect. I’ve had to ask 3 or 4 times for them to give me the part time hours that I requested, just for them to schedule me for full time hours. After going to management about this issue, I was informed that part time was 28-40 hours a week. Regardless of if you are working 40 hours a week you do not get full time benefits. Truly an accosting place to work, tons of physical labour with minimum wage pay. Managers do nothing but stand there and critique your work while they sit back and relax. They lie about the logistics at the job interview just to degrade you for believing them a month in. Currently writing this taking a dump in the loblaws bathroom. I yearn for the day that I can leave this hellhole. A 1 star is far too high to describe the atrocious work environment that we have to deal with.

Pros

Cons

Everything, don’t work here

Learned alot and liked working with others in different departments

I started in one department and was able to easily transfer to another within in company to get more experience and hours of work. They will train you for the job you transfer into. However your seniority will start at the bottom after transferring into the new department.

Pros

Alway had timely breaks and lunchesand

Cons

Always standing during work

No advancements in pay

Expect a growth but not happening.Pay is stagnant.No promotions.Politics exist .Hardwork wont pay for a better position but boot licking would.Benefits are good.

Didnt train, careless& poor management

I was a student in my time working here in the online grocery order department. Customers always would ask me questions involving other departments that I had no answer to. leaving the customers unhappy and frustrated. as well as me. I was never formally trained, and i was often left completely ALONE to run the entire department. management was poor, and aggressive. they called me in outside of my availability, such as when i was at school, and would get very angry with me when i told them i couldnt cover shifts.

Pros

Discounts

Cons

Lots!

Toxic work environment.

Colleagues were good to work with and learn from, but only from those ones that have more than 30 years old. A lot of teenagers that make the environment as a high school, with bullying and a lot of bias. Management was intimidating, bullying, and stressful to work under, as well as exhibited unjustifiable or illegitimate levels of authority in its demands of completion of certain tasks. During the covid situation, I was asked to leave the cashier desk more than once to wait for the customer in front of the cashier!!!!! Zero security and respect for the employee's health. The night shifts are the worst, a lot of bossy teenagers, disrespectful ones. Toxic work environment.

Pros

Free snacks

Cons

Management, no work-life balance

Suffocating toxic work environment

Incentive pay has created nothing but toxicity between peers and accidents on a daily basis. I was told there was a limit to incentive pay before loblaws acquired the warehouse but obviously that limit was dissolved. They actually have colour coded vests for new people just so their "peers" will stop harrassing them while learning.Good luck reaching standard with no help.

Pros

Pay, Benefits after probation

Cons

Dangerous and toxic work environment

good and bad

great co-workers but not the best managers, not paid enough for things you have to do, benefits aren't that great, hours getting cut constantly, flexible with schedule

Pros

Wonderful co-workers, and decent amount of breaks

Cons

Terrible management, not good enough pay for everything you have to do, hours always getting cut

Fast paced and collective

Working there brought me orderly commitment and taught a few good lessons about some of the pressures some of us might be facing at the moment and how to push foreword and complete a task fully and properly with little to zero mistakes and safe procedures

Pros

Work more get paid more

Cons

Work more get paid more

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Loblaw. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

1.3K