Loblaw Employee Reviews

Great company
decent pay
not many hours
lots of recent cuts
If you put in the time you can advance, but may not be worth it with the culture changing so much.
Poor Management
Bakery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON17 June 2018
Environment is very negative-for the most part, many employees are very rude to each other and aren't very good at completing their tasks/being respectful to people of lower seniority. Managers can be extremely demanding and have poor scheduling skills (e.g. not enough/too many people at once, ignore availability and hour caps).
Pros
Longest shift is 8 hours
Cons
Don't always have time to take breaks (can be VERY busy)
Good people
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Moose Jaw, SK17 June 2018
Good people are hard to come by. And working with this company there are lots of them and it’s nice to work with them Working in the store you get to meet people and see them everyone they come shopping and then you become friend and learning all the things in the store it make you want to work
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Not a lot of hours
An average workplace
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  London, ON14 June 2018
Most coworkers were great people, some clearly didn't want to be there. Some managers were nice and helpful, and others were downright poisonous to the workplace. Work culture was all right, but advancement does not come easily (I didn't get a proper review for years). All in all, I can't really recommend the experience unless you just need any job.
Pros
Work-life balance
Cons
Management, salary
Good job for part-timer
Customer Service Representative/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON12 June 2018
As a CSR with Loblaw's, there were many diverse things to deal with. Was necessary to be organized and change tasks efficiently. Unfortunately, only part-time work was available.
Pros
Flexible work hours
Cons
Benefits only available after two years of service
Great, if there isn't any backbiting!
Customer Service (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 June 2018
Just always watch your back as you don't really have any friend. The management is terrible and you don't stand a chance if one manager in particular doesn't like you!
Pros
Great flexibility
Cons
Bad management
Simple
Overnight Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON9 June 2018
I was the person who put up sales labels overnight once per week. I found it fun to be working with my hands and placing stickers. For a while, I also helped with overnight shelf stocking which was pretty hard work and not so much fun. There was very little to no morale compared to what I heard day workers receive. It was often very difficult to get everything done during an 8-hour shift for both types of jobs. I was told there were benefits after 3 years, yet every time I asked about it I was told to wait longer.
Pros
Easy sticker work, nice hours, nice manager
Cons
Difficult stocking work, no morale, benefits hard to get
Educational and Welcomed
Cleaning Staff (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 June 2018
The first day showed me how do to everything in general, and the breaks were fine, there was very diverse in culture, one of my most enjoyed parts of it is how detailed they wanted the place to be.
Pros
hours, salary, people
Cons
large amount of staff/over staffed
Good benefits
General Merchandise Clerk (Current Employee) –  Lloydminster, AB7 June 2018
Good benefits, low pay. Unfortunately management plays favourites. No such thing as full time. Unpredictable schedules. Rarely ever praised for your good hard work.
Pros
Staff lunches and bbqs
Cons
Lack of appreciation
fun and hands on keep me busy
Stock Clerk (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 June 2018
fun and like to learn and meeting new people. hardest part is when a part timer has to do a managers job and other duties. and i like a place thats organized and has enough hours to keep staff happy and has back up to keep the department up to date without picking up the slack
Fun working environment, and an easy going job culture.
Salad Clerk / Chef (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 June 2018
A typical day at work involved coming in, seeing the salads that need fixing, and fixing up salads for the day. Also I had to arrange the display. The people were great, and the store was pretty huge.
worst experience
Meat Cutter (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC5 June 2018
Will never work at a loblaw ever again. I dont even see why id work in any grocery store, super mean lady there but since she had been there for like 20 somewhat years, nothing happened to her.
Pros
nothing
Cons
long hours very long
Good environment
Personal Shopper (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 June 2018
Good environment. Few hours for week makes the job almost impossible for who is not a student. Every time you receive a customer compliment they give 10 dollars in store purchase.
Pros
Good enviroment
Cons
Few hours for week
Wanting more then they are willing to pay
Grocery clerk (Former Employee) –  Port Credit, ON4 June 2018
While working for Loblaws I enjoyed my time with the staff, the only thing I was not happy with was the hours going down to 4 hours a week for two months in my department as there were only 71 hours and 4 staff one being full time and required 40 of those hours.
Pros
Friendly manager and staff, understanding about school
Cons
very little hours some months, store managers not seeing work being done
Working here was rough
SHIPPER / RECEIVER (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON4 June 2018
Working in the warehouse was a trying experience. The turnover rate is high so you'll often be exposed to new people. Management at least at our location often treated employees as disposable likely increasing turnover. The pay and benefits were good, if you can work long enough to earn them. The idea of a "blue culture" was often thrown about but most of the time we were demeaned to the point of employees having regular panic attacks.
Friendly work environment
Salad Bar Clerk (Current Employee) –  Spruce Grove, AB3 June 2018
An excellent place to work, with friendly colleagues and wonderful management. A very secure job with plenty of flexibility. They provide health care benefits after a probationary period as well as opportunity for raises.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON3 June 2018
If you work in front end theres's usually no shortage of hours and you're able to pick up and drop shifts a lot faster than other jobs. The staff are amazing, the workplace seems to have a good team work between all departments.
Pros
Availability of shifts and dropping shift options
Excellent starting job
SAP Clerk (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB31 May 2018
Days are generally pretty monotonous, but the work can be enjoyable if you can find a way of occupying your time effectively. Management was kind and had sympathy for personal situations, should they arise.
Cons
Odd/irregular hours
Good Work Environment
Grocery clerk (Part-time nights) (Former Employee) –  Hull, QC31 May 2018
This was a great place to work and it was the people who definitely made it so.
The hours were difficult as they were night shifts and because there might not have been enough to go around in any given week.
Otherwise, the work was simple, consistent and not particularly demanding if you were willing.
The best part was the people I worked with and for. Welcoming and ready to assist you when needed or to teach you what works better, makes the job easier, etc.
Pay was good, benefits as well.
The only real downside were the hours.
Pros
Good work environment
Cons
Schedule
Workplace Activities
Apparel Part-time (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BC30 May 2018
The work activities are really good. They offer free food to the employees at least once a month and there is always an activity to participate in. The major activities are the barbeque and free tubing at Sun Peaks, and your family is allowed to come and is paid for.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Loblaw. Our community is ready to answer.