Loblaw Employee Reviews

Not so great
Stock Replenisher (Current Employee) –  Brockville, ON19 October 2018
The environment is abussive, racially insensitive and does not facilitate a healthy lifestyle. Management is a mess, schedule changes frequently without any notice and the union does nothing about it.
Also. They push for a “healthy ‘blue culture’”, but don’t follow it beyond what they have to post for their manager’s only private Facebook wannabe.
Pros
Don’t have to deal with the public
Cons
Nights
Overall more of a stepping stone
BUYER (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 October 2018
Hard to move up within the company. Workplace culture is great and the work life balance is also supported. Depends on your workload though, when you are short staffed it can last up to 5 months before they fill the role and you are expected to fill in for the meantime with no thank you, extra incentives, nothing. This means you may have to work until midnight days on end.
Terrible
Overnight Associate (Former Employee) –  Brandon, MB17 October 2018
Fired due to depression, aniexty and ocd...

Management doesnt listen and no time off is ever given

Management needs to be overhaulled and redone as well as much else in the store

I was left on my own 4 times within the first week i worked there
Pros
Cons
Expections to high
It’s okay if you only want to work a few days a week.
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, AB16 October 2018
Job can be demanding. Lots of favouritism when it comes to management and Colleagues. Managers also don’t give two s**ts about you or any problems you have regarding the store. Lots of departments who deal directly with customers are understaffed and overwhelmed because there is always such a high turnover rate. Customers are generally nice, of course there are some who think they are on top of the world. The Meat department supervisor Jazz is a cow. Thinks she’s a queen but treats everyone like dirt. Two of the assistant store managers are so rude that you just have to deal with it.
Pros
Not much.
Cons
Rude Management, Supervisors are jerks. Understaffed.
Busy but you learn a lot.
Manager, Systems Administration (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON16 October 2018
Was good while it lasted. Constant change may not be for everyone and the amount of responsibilities can hinder job satisfaction. IT and network infrastructure in general is a challenge to work with. To many segregated groups passing tickets back and forth.
Pros
Great for development.
Cons
Long hours.
Good starting job for students.
Bakery Manager (Current Employee) –  Kanata, ON15 October 2018
Great place to begin as a part time job.
Colleagues held accountable, must be available Saturday and Sunday.
The work is not very flexible in hours that are worked.
Great place to work at overall
Clerk (Current Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON15 October 2018
Great place to work at. For the most part a very chill and easy-going place to work at while maintaining a rather respectable quality to the job position. However the management is very poor.
Pros
Benefits and job security
Productive and fun
Back up Supervisor/ Customer Service/ Cashier (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK14 October 2018
Good starter job with great staff and a friendly atmosphere. The job is fast passed and requires a lot of multitasking to get things done.
Overall it is a fun and inviting place to work.
Excellent
Pharmacy Manager---- Current (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 October 2018
Excellent company to work, positive culture, 7 days work in 2 weeks. Salaried Pharmacy Manager job, so even if you work more than 40 hours these is no benefit. No sick days or any day off as its is salaried job
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
unlimited hours to work
good days,
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, AB12 October 2018
everything was good, there was no dull moments working here. i do miss it. but i wont go back because i want something different. the variety of people working there was amazing.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
bad workplace manners with some people
Good company
Human Resources Senior Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ON11 October 2018
Other than shake ups every fall good company to work at. Pay and benefits are behind market though
Lots of opportunity at head office
Looks for diversity at hiring choices
Typical Day at work
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON9 October 2018
My typical day at work would consist of a 9-10hr day. I would be in charge of the opening and closing of the store. I would have to ensure conditions of the store made it easy and hazard free for all staff and customers. Most enjoyable part of my work was having day to day interactions with the colleagues. My policy was an open door policy. I was also in charge of the Joint Health and Safety committee and this was enjoyable as I was able to teach safety within the workplace. Whether it be correcting a hazard or coaching on safe operating procedures. I was also in charge of the accountability report which was audited on two times a year and even though it took up a huge part of my week I was able to coach train and develop my colleagues.
Pros
people
Cons
long hours/days at work
Not worth it
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB7 October 2018
Expect you to be available anytime and any day but do not give many hours. The amount of work expected for minimum wage is not worth it. I found it to be a toxic work environment with many employees not being happy to be there.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Not enough hours
Warehouse
Warehouse Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON4 October 2018
Loblaws is an ok place to work if you need money as they pay quite well. The only thing is management is not very friendly and the quota that you have to meet is unreasonable.
Pros
You get 2 breaks each one is 22 minutes
Cons
Management and quotas
N/a
Produce Assistant/Student (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON4 October 2018
Working at Loblaws in the Produce department has its ups and downs. The employees are generally very interactive and make working their enjoyable. There are times however where the store is busy and out of stock of products. At times like these the employees take a lot of slack for the managers stock orders. Busy days are also very physically demanding but as long as you are working with a couple people you enjoy working with time goes by pretty fast.
good for part time job
Accounting Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 October 2018
When I start working in this company, it was a week of being in Canada. I had no idea about any work and policy,all i was thinking was to make money and survive. You had to be on call all the time and as soon as you reject to work for one day you will lose lots of other hours bc they don't like to hear NO. I didn't have any good experience in this company but everyone has to start somewhere.
Pros
nothing
Cons
long hours with short break, poor culture, bad management
Great Place To Work.
Part time overnight clerk (Former Employee) –  London, ON1 October 2018
Working midnights was hard at times, but I still enjoyed my time there and liked the people I worked with. I left to take on a full time position but would work there again.
Pros
weekly pay and benefits
Cons
midnights could be rough
Not what it used to be
SAP Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 September 2018
This company has fallen away from truly caring for those who make their money. It saddens me to see what has become of the place that gave me my first true taste of full time employment
good benefits
Pharmacy Assistant (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, AB30 September 2018
good place to work for benefits and retirement saving options, unionized so great for job security, only downside no flexibility with hours for young families.
overall good place to work, with little advancement opportunities
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Rothesay, NB28 September 2018
If you want to advance your career, Loblaws is not where to do it. They are constantly cutting hours and eliminating full time jobs to save money. The management they hire is questionable, and is the reason why the culture in the store I was in was so bad. There is a lot of favoritism and nepotism. The work itself was a lot of fun, really fast paced, and always something to do.
Pros
the work itself
Cons
management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Loblaw. Our community is ready to answer.