Loblaw Employee Reviews

Found 2,076 reviews matching the search See all 2,108 reviews
Discrimination and harassment runs rampant
Warehouse Assembler (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON15 February 2019
I suffered human right violations while working at their Cambridge distribution centre but was not fully aware of my rights at the time of my employment.
Busy
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON14 February 2019
I had this job for a very short period of time while in high school. The job was fairly simple, checked out and bagged customers groceries as well as kept the work station clean. The toughest part about the job was dealing with rude customers and memorizing all the produce UPC numbers.
Pros
Cons
Inconsistent Hours
Good Opportunities
Senior Analyst, Operational Planning (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON13 February 2019
Very fast pace. Great place to work. Great Opportunities. Great for go-getters. Many events take place during the workday. Lots of people to work with.
good company
PICKER/ASSEMBLER (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB13 February 2019
i like the position that allows me to work different tasks.a great place to work...management was very nice and accommodating ...work percentage base.
Pros
free wifi
Complete Joke
Produce Clerk (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON12 February 2019
Expect no respect from management. Expect no support from co-workers or the union. As a part-time, you're capped at minimum wage + $1 per hour, expected to work every weekend, and blamed for others mistakes. Benefits require a certain number of hour in the previous calendar year so expect nothing until at least one year after you start. No respect for student availability. Company not held accountable for breaches of the collective agreement.
Cons
Pay, Disrespectful management, awful hours
Staff is good ..management needs reality check
Ckerk (Former Employee) –  Amherst, NS7 February 2019
great staff but got new manager 5 people who were long term employees quit and I spoke to 2 more who are ready to leave
Good benefits I miss that.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Half staff are related and they got promoted
Good workplace for a part time position
Joe Fresh Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON7 February 2019
Management was very nice and accommodating. A typical day as a Joe Fresh team member consisted of working the register, accessing fitting rooms, and facing the merchandise.
Productive and fun place to work
Design Lead - Data Protection (Current Employee) –  Brampton, Ontario6 February 2019
Team building opportunities. The company is a great place to learn and to build existing skill sets. The work life balance is great and allows for planning for personal and professional goals.
Unsatisfactory in my books.
Warehouse Associate/selector (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ON6 February 2019
With my previous experience i thought i was a good fit for the company. Performed well and was even celebrated by other supervisors for how hard i work. However the job culture is undoubtly toxic as they expect you to perform at an adequate percentage without giving you the proper time to do so.

I also got injured as well there, to no fault of my own, and got put on modified duties. I had a claim and everything and all paper work was rightfully filled out and done correctly as they wanted it. Was told to get new forms after a week to follow up and continue on MOD duties from the same supervisor who ended up terminating me the following week after i brought in the forms without warning. Being that i was on probation, the incident prevented me from performing the percentage i needed to but was somehow terminated because of my performance out of a weird "conincidence" because im still injured from the workplace hazard on them that shouldn't have been there in the location that it was in.

Overall this places dynamic is very questinable as well as their intergrity of being canadas "top 100 employers" but have an astronomical turnover rate and now adding me on to that rate without it being my fault. Support, re-training, follow-ups and performance meetings were never met with the notice of improvement which made me think i was doing great there. If your looking for a job that has reliability and actually upholds to their "core values" than this isnt this the place. They will get you with the money they offer but like all things that seem to good to be true that we were ALL told
  more... to notice at a young age, this is is one of them as it was for me. Im just disappointed because with this non-engagement of understanding for their employees, i am now left without a job and have financial obligations that need to be met.  less
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Management, job security, no honesty, unsympathetic, aggresive and many more
Work
Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 February 2019
Its alright sometimes youll have a good day but never be acknowledged. The people and management are very respectful. The customers and fellow staff member are great
Pros
Food
Cons
People
Very busy workplace focused on delivering hygienic food to the stores across BC.
Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC5 February 2019
A typical day at work started with selecting a working TPJ machine and headset, stretching exercises and picking the items as ordered by a hand held device called talkman through headset. I learned how to properly stack the boxes of different sizes together. The management is employee friendly and the company policies are very good. I found heavy lifting as the hardest part of the job. The most enjoyable part was to see the bonus in paycheck after a week of high performance.
Pros
Bonus money for high performance
Cons
Heavy lifting
Enjoyed meeting new, team support
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  North York, ON1 February 2019
Assisted in the day to day operations of the store.
Maintained grocery and produce levels in a timely and professional manner.
Assisted with the refurbishing crew in the implementation of stores planogram.
Worked various shifts between two different departments.
Five years of being a swing employee that travelled to different locations to assist with the stores schedules.
Pros
great people to work with.
Cons
Tough to get into Full time, Union and seniority rules
Amazing people
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC31 January 2019
One of the supervisors was very unprofessional and mean at my location but overall a pretty good work experience. It is a very easy job once you learn the produce codes and have worked there awhile (if you're interested in being a cashier).
Loblaws
Customer Service/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON31 January 2019
Loblaws is great for minimum wage while balancing school. I was able to focus on my studies. Staff i work with are supportive and nice. Good union and has benefits as well. .
Active and fully motivated for all the task
Assembler /Forklift Driver (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK28 January 2019
A great place to work and have an equality to everyone.The management have a pair treatment for all the nationality.They give an opportunities to everyone whether a boy or a girls to get trained at all machines inside warehouse.Everybody are welcome to apply for a higher position.
Pros
free wifi, discounted to all the loblaw companies
Not much
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Terrace, BC28 January 2019
The managers never agree on anything. One said I was doing an excellent job & another wanted to fire me. My hours were 14 - 20 a week. I left after two months
Pros
Cons
Tons
Great
Cashier, Handling money (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON25 January 2019
Easy place to start in the industry, cash handling and customer service. Clean and productive environment, good team of supporting staff working togther.
Fast paced environment with heavy labour
Grocery Assembly Specialist (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC25 January 2019
Tough workplace overall. High demand in moving products with a 30lbs. average per case around all day. Long hours each day and a wage that is not the best for what they demand you do. Colleagues are great are supporting you, but at the end of the day it comes down to if you can perform or not.
Pros
Colleagues
Cons
Long hours, heavy products, work percentage based
Fantastic building
Senior Analyst (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON24 January 2019
Loblaws offers competitive pay and has some of the best people I have met. They are not great to promote people and need new management. They promote within the company and there is alot of room for growth
Pros
cateteria
Cons
Fun workplace, spoiled by old equipment and lack of maintenance
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON24 January 2019
Working for Loblaws was an enjoyable experience. From the friendly staff to the high-energy, low stress environment, I would definitely recommend this job to students, or for someone in need of a part-time job.

However, for anyone looking for solid and consistent hours, this might not be the place for you. Coupled with ancient equipment and out-of-date systems, it can feel quite tedious. Especially when you have to explain to customers that the systems are "bottlenecking" transaction speeds.

TL;DR

Good place to work, not much advancement, low pay
Pros
Good environment, straight forward job
Cons
Low pay, old equipment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Loblaw. Our community is ready to answer.