Loblaw

Canada4,090 reviews

Found 4,090 reviews matching the searchSee all 4,175 reviews
zehrssuperstoregrocerystorecolleagueunionshiftdepartment

Very hard to get to FT employment - union only benefits FT not PT

Very hard to get to FT employment - union only benefits FT not PT in both wages and scheduling priority. Ability to change departments. Inter-departmental staff does not work collaboratively due to union restrictions

Horrible workspace

Absolutely no time for advancement. Most weeks you aren't even able to get 40 hours even with full time available. Upper management only cares about cutting hours and saving money. The only good interactions you'll have here are with your co workers

Pros

Lunch breaks, coworkers

Cons

Lunch breaks aren't paid and last an hour, It's almost impossible to get 40 hours a week unless you've worked there for years

Insights into Loblaw

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues
  • General feeling of work happiness

Great place to work with longterm support

Great place to work with longterm support, very worth it for long term. They provide a lot of perks from hotels to groupon access. Recommended for entry level.

Disastrous demotivating workplace

I have worked there for about 6 months. There’s no life and work balance you are set to work whatever hours they want. Management is a complete mess especially your own district manager. You can’t get help or be able to reach out but it’s the complete opposite when he visits you in store. The demands, negative words, and literally no recognition towards your efforts, even if you have been the best employee of the mont. I would not recommend this place for anyone it’s torture day in and day out

Laid back and relatively easy job

This position is perfect for high school and college/university students since the hours are very flexible. Customer’s are generally easy to manage and coworkers are very kind!

Pros

Employee discount

Cons

Customers can be rude

Mandatory Overtime

They have mandatory overtime. If you refuse they will right you off and get suspended for it. I only ride transit going to work so I cannot stay until 9pm for the overtime. I got suspended for it and later on quit on the job for having an unfair treatment. You also need to reach a certain percentage of how fast you work. If you got below 60% they will write you off too

Best company to work

I started my job with Loblaw’s when I came to canada! And changed provinces but still worked with same company at diff location I love Loblaw I respect ! I am in Quebec right now and also want to join Loblaw’s here but because of language restriction as they ask for French I can’t do it ! If they allow Not bilingual here I would love to join again

Cons

No cons

The store is not a good place to work what so ever.

You have to work 500 hours before you can get any benefits. The union does absolutely nothing to help you when you need them. Management sucks! If you go to them with a complaint they just ignore you. I strongly believe that the department managers should not be in the union. As union rules go you are not supposed to rat out a union brother or sister but the department managers do it all the time and if you put in a complaint against your manager nothing is ever done to them.

Good place

It is a fun place to work and co-workers are also easy to get along with. Customers oriented job and have to deal with all kind of people on regular basis.

Chill environment with coworkers and regulars

The job only gets busy on holidays, other than that, it's a pretty chill job where you only have to remember where each drinks are located when customers ask you for a specific brand of drink. Obviously it does require ProServe to hand out liquor to customers.

Pros

Chill coworkers, low pace environment

Cons

Holidays gets extremely busy

work hard and you will see results

Is a good company to work for very establish, as you gain seniority, more chances to increase your income and privileges, due to seniority, long terms results, and goals. sometimes a bit demanding with policy and procedures and some unmatured supervisors.

Pros

lunchrooms, washrooms, good facilities, equipment, Ppe

Cons

disciplines, work and be controlled by the minute, or by quotas very strict

Boring and repetitive. No proper work schedule

You have to log into their site to see if you got a shift that week. Very inconsistent with scheduling. You might work 3 days one week and 0 the next. When you do work, the work itself is very boring and repetitive. Have to stand for long hours.

Pros

Cons

Inconsistent scheduling, long hours, slow-paced

Learned a lot of customer service skills.

A typical day, consisted of ringing orders thru, and packing groceries. When the store isn’t busy, you shut down your till and do returns, and clean your belt. I loved the regular customers, you build a bond with them. The most difficult part was having a customer that couldn’t speak English or hear properly.

Two part-time job "options"

Part time jobs are a transition here, a catapult to high-end full-time jobs for managers' relatives, while for the rest, no matter how hard would work, is just a survival, unsecure job, a reason of depression and feeling unworthy, a "head" in a herd of cows...

All good by clear infomation in training

The overall company cares about employees, everything is clear, but it is fast pace and requires accuracy at all times. Many workshops, training for new hire people.

Constant threats

Very stressful and demanding. Dept managers no longer manage, we are dictated everything. They say jump, you ask how high. We are no longer about taking care of the customer but more concerned with logs and passing audits

Pros

Pay

Cons

Dictated constantly

Okay, Not The Best & it Could Have Better Management & Better Benefits

It's a fine job, particularly if you lack experience. But after a few months of working here, I realised that this location is not ideal. The only perks you receive as an employee are discounted store prices and free parking. There will be missed pay, just a few coworkers and management are kind to newcomers, and some of the customers are pretty obnoxious and show little to no respect. Your efforts and contributions as an employee are not appreciated, valued, or acknowledged since you are not thought of as a nice person. Seniority is unquestionably important, and people will treat you differently depending on how long you have worked there. Department supervisors simply select their favourites and are harsh and entitled. Although shift scheduling is flexible, it also depends on your management. The store manager does not acknowledge you as an employee and does not welcome or treat you with respect. Some of the staff members are rude. Given that I needed a job, I only awarded it three stars.

Decent place to work

Was a good place to work, management was friendly and took an active role in working with the different teams. A typical day at work would involve grocery shopping different areas and/or delivering to customers who were almost always friendly. The Work culture seemed very clique-y which is not to say it was bad if you're in and out work personality, but if you enjoy building work relations then better hope you will find your fit. The hardest part of the job? I would say is if a section falls behind on their orders doing catch up can get really intense with orders backing up, but overall I didn't find the job to difficult. I personally enjoyed interacting with customers the most and delivering groceries, unfortunately I had to leave due to private issues but would certainly work here again or in a position like it if it were to become available. If you're reading this thanks again for the opportunity it was appreciated greatly.

Anxiety driven, triggered my depression.

Let me be clear: the two stars is for the sweet man who actually gave me the opportunity. He was a gentlemen and I'm forever grateful that he gave me the opportunity. However, I was let go after not even a week. They expect you to learn all kinds of codes for produce, baked goods in two shifts of 4 hour training and if you ask for help at any point, you're made to feel like an involent. The one manager there makes everyone else do their work and then they will set you up for failure, even though they have zero idea of what your true progress is.

stressful work place

stressful work place i have ever work, managers needs to work 9 to 15 hours just to make the management satisfied of your work and they don't care about your life balance outside of work. management are terrible on its own supervisor. I have learned to save my self to the management by working long shift everyday to make them satisfied on how I'm doing my job. dealing with the old people that hard to work with. enjoyable part of my job is after working long day shift and I can go home and see my kids.

Stressful

Got this job to try it out to get back into the warehouse business and they have a unrealistic standard they want you to meet and push you to your limits works not safe and they even doc your performance if you go to the bathroom only do this job for quick money

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Loblaw. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement