Loblaw Employee Reviews

Found 2,032 reviews matching the search See all 2,061 reviews
A lot of lipservice
Director (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON18 November 2018
Senior Management talks about work life balance, and building a strong environment of respect and culture. Yet in reality expectations are ridiculously unreasonable, turnover is extremely high, culture preaching is only in good times, but when results aren't favorable you're only as good as your last day. Processes are a mess, way too many layers of people to deal with to get anything done, it's an extremely frustrating place to work at.

They quietly lay people off and continue to dump the work on those remaining, expecting them to just absorb it. I would never work for this organization again, looking to leave ASAP.
Working culture and opportunities
SAP Analyst (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON21 July 2018
Great company to work for, one of the best senior management. Very good work life balance really enjoyed working 28 years for Loblaws.
I have had the opportunity to work on different positions within Loblaws each position had challenges of its own, I really enjoyed working hard and learning new things. The best thing was the opportunity to learn new systems and work on various projects. The most difficult time was SAP store go live nights, we always had issues with various items, but we worked like a team and made sure all issues were fixed before the stores opened for business.
Pros
Best senior management, great working culture
Cons
Not so good middle management
Challenging and interesting work load in an inclusive culture
HR Administrator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 May 2018
Working at Loblaw Companies Limited fueled my desire to continue in the HR field. A typical day at work would include processing payroll daily for the colleagues / managers, screening and interviewing potential new candidates,onboarding new hires, analyzing inventory and financial reports / errors, processing invoices, conducting orientation and planning events for the location I was in.

I learned so much about employee and labour relations while working there - it motivated me to drive my career towards that facet of HR

I thoroughly enjoyed the work as well as the people I worked with. The management team and culture at my location was inclusive, team-oriented and overall positive.
Pros
The work, the people, location, learning and developing
good for part time job
Accounting Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 October 2018
When I start working in this company, it was a week of being in Canada. I had no idea about any work and policy,all i was thinking was to make money and survive. You had to be on call all the time and as soon as you reject to work for one day you will lose lots of other hours bc they don't like to hear NO. I didn't have any good experience in this company but everyone has to start somewhere.
Pros
nothing
Cons
long hours with short break, poor culture, bad management
Worst place I've ever worked for
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edson, AB19 September 2018
Loblaw is a sad company to work for , low pay and the company itself (not the workers ) really don't care at all about their employees, the administration does not give discounts to employees for the incredibly low pay they give , if your lucky to might get a useless gift card after 6 months and may get a .27 cents raise after a year ,
They will literally throw ANY employee under the bus if an incident occurs , they hire 16-18 yrs old to do safe counts with no experience, no body but the manager /superviser should be ever be inside a safe with $5000-$30,000 in cash.
In cases of emergencies they want there employees to run into a burning building to save all there books and files you can grab , don't believe me , check out their " emergency protocol handbook. They pay you nothing to risk your neck to protect their butt.
Pros
Meet new people
Cons
Complex and challenging place to work
Sr. Law Clerk (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON22 June 2018
Loblaws is an incredibly demanding workplace environment. Not only does the retail industry change and shift constantly, but the business is doing the same to keep up. If you enjoy change, and change management, you like being agile and having the "work from anywhere" flexibility then this is your workplace. The legal department has lawyers for many practice areas, but with tightening budgets and business constraints over the last few years, has led to a reliance on law clerks for substantive work. However, resources are so lean that it puts a huge amount of stress and responsibility on a clerk which can wear you down along with the long hours and massive volume of marketing.
Pros
ongoing training, philanthropy opportunities, great benefits and onsite Goodlife fitness, and fun activities such as volleyball, hockey, baseball etc.
Cons
Long hours, complex business and adversarial business partners, remote location.
overall good place to work, with little advancement opportunities
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Rothesay, NB28 September 2018
If you want to advance your career, Loblaws is not where to do it. They are constantly cutting hours and eliminating full time jobs to save money. The management they hire is questionable, and is the reason why the culture in the store I was in was so bad. There is a lot of favoritism and nepotism. The work itself was a lot of fun, really fast paced, and always something to do.
Pros
the work itself
Cons
management
Great Benefits, Poor Overall
Pharmacy Assistant (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON6 November 2018
Loblaws can be a good company to work for, depending on the banner. They own No Frills, Independant, Loblaws, Zehrs and others. In the pharmacy we were not unionized. the benefits were great and they had an employee share plan. In the past couple years head office had changed their priorities. Pharmacists are burdened with quotas to meet, while having to make the most money for the pharmacy. This has meant leaving the pharmacy without enough support staff to operate properly. Often the pharmacist is left alone to deal with every part of the pharmacy when he should be free enough to talk with customers and give advice. This is not the case anymore in this company. Pharmacists are overworked and underpaid. There is a trend in this company of firing employees after more than a decade to cut costs regardless of performance. I have seen a really good pharmacist get fired at christmas for no reason other than the fact that he made so much money with his years in the company. He was a model employee and Loblaws treated him very poorly Its a typical example of the higher up people telling you how to do your job yet not having done it themselves in a long time. Management puts you in a position to fail and then reprimands you for it.
Pros
Benefits, RRSPs, Stocks
Cons
Greedy, Poor Values
Honestly the best part time job i've had
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON7 November 2018
Worked as a barista within the Lavazza branded coffee bar for 2 years. Company culture was mostly good. People were great, still friends with my boss and coworkers and hang out with them external to work. The worst part is the customers -- so many of them are rude, unruly, unreasonable and disrespectful. Pay isn't good or bad, you get minimum wage plus 5 cent wage increases based on hours. Once you're in the union you have incredible job security as long as you are a good/average worker and don't do anything ridiculous. The biggest con is that sometimes nothing can be done about your treatment by customers. For example, I once had change thrown at me by a customer because he didn't want to pay tax on prepared food. Not much management can do after the fact because the exchange was so fast and he was out of the store before I could even call someone. This is also compounded by the store layout I was in, as no managers were around at the time to witness the exchange first hand. However, managers were always helpful when I was able to reach them in the event of an unruly customer.
Pros
company potlucks, birthday cakes for people, great coworkers, positive company culture that encourages everyone to be friends
Cons
the customers can be horrible and sometimes there's not much you can do about it
can be hard physical labour. You will be much more fit. your feet and hands will ache. The culture is what keeps the employees and you can move up
Warehouse Operator/ Assembler (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK25 July 2018
pay is decent but should be a bit more as the work can be very hard on the body and prone to injury. however there is a bonus system. Breaks are too short. If you like hard physical labour and are accustomed to it and much lifting and crouching to pick product is ok, don't mind repetitive work. Don't do it if you have problems with your wrists already. a reliable hard physical worker who doesn't miss work will succeed and move up into slightly less physical skilled positions here after about a year. The culture is amazing and makes work worth going too.
Pros
bonus system, culture great, opportunity for advancement, Ot
Cons
shifts seem long, breaks too short. hard on body, tiring
An average workplace
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  London, ON14 June 2018
Most coworkers were great people, some clearly didn't want to be there. Some managers were nice and helpful, and others were downright poisonous to the workplace. Work culture was all right, but advancement does not come easily (I didn't get a proper review for years). All in all, I can't really recommend the experience unless you just need any job.
Pros
Work-life balance
Cons
Management, salary
Management was terrible..
Night Replenishment Clerk (Former Employee) –  Barrington Street Atlantic SuperStore21 August 2018
There was way to much favoritism within this particular store, I personally couldn't get any advancements within here even when I did most of the assistant night managers duties. A friend of mine use to work there in bakery constantly applied for assistant bakery manager and never achieved it but she got tired of trying, relocated to another location, applied there and actually became bakery manager because she's that good. This one store in particular is extremely terrible, I wouldn't work there if I were u..... Saves you a bit of stress from management there!
Pros
Not much besides an odd few people there are great to become friends with.
Cons
Management, Favoritism
good company with lousy pay
Finance Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB24 May 2018
As the local market leader in a few sectors, working here is of course a great learning experience. No matter which part of the business you are in, you are on the front lines of as Canadian a business as there is. It is unlikely that Loblaw would be disrupted anytime soon and so job security in most units is pretty good.

But the pay sucks.

Retail/grocery is an industry of fine margins and it shows with how low they pay people. Benefits and work/life balance are pretty good, which is probably how they retain most good people.
Pros
work/life balance, lots of learning (formal and informal), blue chip brand
Cons
pay
Management has no clue about bad managers
Head office position (Former Employee) –  Head office31 October 2018
Company preaches blue culture but it is violated right under the nose. HR is hand in glove like any other company and none of the complaints will be processed on merit. They have thugs and bullies and as managers who just simply get away violating every single basic human rights.
Pros
Management lacks smartness! Suck up and grow - nothing to do with your skill
Cons
No matter how skilful you are, if you are not ready to suckup and remain a yes person you are not welcome
Great place to work at overall
Clerk (Current Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON15 October 2018
Great place to work at. For the most part a very chill and easy-going place to work at while maintaining a rather respectable quality to the job position. However the management is very poor.
Pros
Benefits and job security
Great working culture.
Senior Analyst (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON24 November 2018
Great working culture. Management is good and job security is there unless you are one of the outliers that do not perform continuously.

Flexible hours and workload depends on management.
Working here was rough
SHIPPER / RECEIVER (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON4 June 2018
Working in the warehouse was a trying experience. The turnover rate is high so you'll often be exposed to new people. Management at least at our location often treated employees as disposable likely increasing turnover. The pay and benefits were good, if you can work long enough to earn them. The idea of a "blue culture" was often thrown about but most of the time we were demeaned to the point of employees having regular panic attacks.
Overall more of a stepping stone
BUYER (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 October 2018
Hard to move up within the company. Workplace culture is great and the work life balance is also supported. Depends on your workload though, when you are short staffed it can last up to 5 months before they fill the role and you are expected to fill in for the meantime with no thank you, extra incentives, nothing. This means you may have to work until midnight days on end.
Not so great
Stock Replenisher (Current Employee) –  Brockville, ON19 October 2018
The environment is abussive, racially insensitive and does not facilitate a healthy lifestyle. Management is a mess, schedule changes frequently without any notice and the union does nothing about it.
Also. They push for a “healthy ‘blue culture’”, but don’t follow it beyond what they have to post for their manager’s only private Facebook wannabe.
Pros
Don’t have to deal with the public
Cons
Nights
quite good place to work
Nightcrew Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 August 2018
This is a place where i'm been working at night shift and it's very simple job to do , just fill the tablets with goods ,the most difficult task is sometimes the products is very heavy but you get help from others the management is quite good, you just do your job properly and the supervisor will not even to see what you are doing.
Pros
free meal and drinks
Cons
long hours sometimes and standing all the time

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Loblaw. Our community is ready to answer.