Little Short Stop

Little Short Stop Employee Reviews

good place to work

had a good working relationship between staff and management. strict company policies you need to follow company protocol there is room for advancement but you must be willing to learn retail operations and be willing to put in time and take tests for progress overall i learned about retail that helped me gain skills that ive been able to apply in my job endevours

Pros

job advancement

Overall Not worth your time

Job was very slow paced, not a lot of the staff did their part whatsoever, which left the overnights associate to fill everythingRules are not enforced whatsoever, store is very dirty

Pros

Free time

Its been years since I've worked here but I think about this job all the time. You will get the coolest regulars, mostly cool co workers and a company that will actually care about you as a clerk. I went through a lot of managers during my time with the company, as I was at what was considered a "training store" but for the most part they were all great! Booking time off was easy, and even when I got really sick and had to take time off they were always in touch with me about when I could come back. Its still technically retail so you will get at least one Karen a day but its not all bad I promise.

Stressful environment isn't worth the money.

I've been with short stop for years and I am very sad to have to leave, but I can no longer handle the job. After 15 months of work you make $0.50 more than minimum wage and that is it. No competitive wages. Some managers I have worked for have been fantastic, but a majority of them are lazy and sit in the office. They don't do floor work and leave employees with daunting tasks to do in short shifts and come down hard when you can't get it all done. There is a reason this company faces a high turn over rate with staff. I loved my time with them when I had the good managers, but it seems they're all gone now.

Pros

Flexible hours, clean environment

Cons

Static wages, poor corporate office management, no benefits

Fun place to work

I enjoyed working there just wish the wages were a little better. Maybe even decent benefits too. The jobs are easy to get done. And easy to manage. Customers are easy to deal with and even the ones who aren't so easy... don't put up with their shenanigans and they'll learn to respect you.

Pros

$50 tab, friendly staff and managers

Cons

Shifts can bounce around a lot.

They will take advantage of you whenever they can

I worked here for 3 years and it was not a great experience. The supervisors were competitive and would bully management and staff. For a part-time minimum wage job their expectations were unreasonable. I'm not sure if this has changed since I was there but there were no brakes and it was not uncommon to work long stretches alone.

It is a decent part time job for students.

It’s a good job for students, managers are willing to work about other schedules. Would not recommend as a full-time job. There are absolutely no benefits for employees, only for management and hours are not guaranteed. I’m stuck trying to afford the cost of living on four 7 hour shifts a week making minimum wage. Upper management can be very toxic at times, and they expect a lot more from you than they should given then small amount they pay you. There are no raises unless you’re in management, and even then a raise is sparsely heard of.

Little short stop is an okay job

I worked for the company for 5 years. I was treated decently. It is a great job for when you’re a student because there is a variety of shifts, but hours are not always guaranteed. However it is not a job to look at for long term. There is absolutely not benefits unless you’re a manager. There are no raises, even though most employees are expected to do the work of the managers. You get paid minimum wage unless you become a manager, and even then you will never get your bonus, you get a minimal salary and no overtime even when you can put in 80+ hour weeks

Pros

Good work environment, deal with a wide variety of people, enhance your people skills

Cons

Company is slightly unfair, expect too much of employees, district managers will not converse with employees (only through managers), no benefits

Little regard to employee safety

Training is not consistent. Employees are trained 20 hours to be left to handle a busy store for 4 to 8 hours at a time. There are no breaks, no bathroom breaks (unless you're lucky enough for a lull in activity, where you'll have to lock two doors in order to go to the bathroom uninterrupted) There is no communication between management and regular employees. If there are fellow employees with bad work habits, you just have to deal with it, there will never be action taken to correct the issues.

Pros

Cons

unsafe

Stressful

I was pregnant and wasn’t allowed any breaks or leniency on store orders. Poor management and bad attitudes staff. Makes you hate going to work which that kind of environment.

Pros

Good hours

Cons

Overworked

Fun

Great management, really feel listened to. Depending on your area, if you're a person of colour you may face racism from small town people. Work day isnt very stressful and its easy to get along with co-workers.

Overall a good place to work. Some issues with people not doing their fair share. Dealt with customers. Lottery and gas pumps. Stocking and cleaning. Problem solving

Monday and Thursday did cheque runs for expenses. Monday and Tuesday entered daily sales reports. Wednesday and Thursday entered supplier invoices. On the 15th and 30th reconciled and paid supplier statements . Every other week balanced payroll our for 30 stores to send to payroll company Left on good terms to help a friend with her bookkeeping company.

My thoughts on my experience working at little shortstop.

I loved working their. It was my first job and it taught me alot about hard work and responsibility. The pay wasn't enough for me to survive on so i left.

great place for part time work

My expereince has been great at Little Short Stop. I got promoted as assistant manager, which gave me ton of room to enhance my management skills. it is a busy workplac.

Great Place to work but do not expect a raise

Working at short stop was a easy job because of that you wont get a pay increase unless you accept a manager or assistant manager position same with getting full time hours no one gets full time unless you're a manager or assistant manager you may come close to full time but you will rarely if ever get a week of full time. Co workers were great manager was great at my location no major complaints. The worst part of the job had to be rude customers or counting lottery tickets in the morning if you open the store.

Unfair Overall

The company has its perks, but overall its an unfair company to work for, they will tell you one thing and do the complete opposite. ie. start training an employee for promotional positions like assistant manager, then will give the job to newer employees because it makes the company look better rather than have the person fit for the job so it. Along with being unfair, you make minimum wage to be assaulted, insulted and torn down by customers and management. I would never recommended this company to someone

Great starting job, good experience for the future

Duties included running the till, keeping the store clean, facing up the store. Taught me valuable customer service skills and various sales tactics. Managers tend to be kind and friendly but also strict about job rules. A very laid back job where one can enjoy their customers and make conversation.

Favouritism and harassment

Management is lazy, unreasonable, doesn't do their job, trains employees to do it for them instead, and then turns around and tells upper management that you do nothing. Alot of favouritism in alot of the stores, and lack of control over rowdy staff that belittle and harass other staff members. They make you sign a statement saying you won't be paid overtime for shifts over 8 hours.

Decent starter job/in between school

simple job, not treated well but not much to ask for minimum wage. the management at the time was not great but has since been changed. lots of standing hours

Great place

Great place to work. It has its ups and downs where it is slow and busy. Some things there could change. Clean store great environment. Always good customer service

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Little Short Stop. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9Job security/advancement