Little Burgundy

Little Burgundy Employee Reviews

Canada73 reviews
Chill workplace
Good job for a part-time student, though the pay is not competitive at all, if you are looking for a nice part time job during school this is good. It is not commissioned unless you are full time, though.
Judgmental not a good place to work
I was given a work atire handbook and no matter how hard i tried to fit within that handbook I never seemed to be good enough. I would go to work everyday feeling great and by the end of the day I had low self esteem and felt bullied and not good enough.
Stressful Stuff
I've worked in retail for amost ten years. Worked for a competitor of LB and left it for them, PROMISED the environment was better but it was just as bad, of not worse.
Everything started fine, treated well, given my own store (with little to no experience mind you), and quickly went down hill.

My DM used scare tactics to get her way, constructive dismissal to try and get employees to quit, threaten my job and other jobs of managers because we questioned what she was doing.

My team was great HOWEVER, the upper management has unrealistic expectations, pay you below minimum wage (thinking giving you commission will make it better but good luck making the goals in order to get commission) or if you make salary they barely pay you what you are worth and expect you to give up your home life in order to be at the store.

10/10 will NEVER recommend anyone to work there.
Pros
personal store team 100% great
Cons
upper management unrealistic expectations
Productive and fun workplace
The vibes here are just different. Right away I felt so accepted and comfortable as if I had worked there for years. Co-workers were happy to help me get more sales by giving me effective tips and tricks in relation to being a successful sales person. Will definitely remember this experience and am grateful.
New Management Inadequate
I worked at Little Burgundy for many years. I found that my hiring manager was very laid back yet assertive, rewarded us for good behaviour and encouraged collaborative work, and really encouraged us to work together to reach our goals. The work environment was excellent until the new management team. The new management (of approximately 1 year) is EXTREMELY unprofessional, and promotes a competitive culture rather than a collaborative one, which creates a very hostile environment. He reinforces this by providing benefits to workers who out-compete others even if its done in a very negative way (being untruthful to customers, selling shoe care by using a "its on sale" pitch even though it isn't). Not only does the manager pick favorites and blatantly displays that favoritism, but he also avoids confrontation and is very passive aggressive. He does not give warnings when we are not up to par with his requirements, rather, he will discuss it with his assistant manager and just about every other employee in the store, diss them, and never speak to them about it until they repeat it and are ultimately consequenced by being written up or worse.He will avoid letting his workers know what they need to improve on independently and will just generalize and make big statements and changes at work without directly telling you that you need to improve, and if you don't take that and make changes then you are consequenced. That system makes no sense because most of the time the people he is targeting don't even know they did anything wrong. Management also speaks to each other in their - more...
Productive and fun workplace
A typical day at work for me is receiving stock on Tuesday's and Thursday's. I scan it with the AML gun and process it into our store's inventory, then proceed to put it away in its proper sequencing which is organized by brands and style numbers. I also clean the stock room when its needed which includes sweeping, mopping, and dusting.
good work place
Good fun place to work company is a branch under the aldo group so things liike music are already chosen and pre selected so you cant listen to your own music while working.
High stress levels & work load w/ low compensation
It became evident that this company doesn't care about their employees & only cares about the sales and gain of the company. They indirectly let you know that you are replaceable & never give you a straight answer. High work load, lots of stress, poor pay wages & constant excuses when questioned about pay structure.
Good place to get experience
-met fun and amazing people

-I was able to learn how to deal with different types of costumers

-competitive environment especialy if you're on sales
Great Team. Poor Management
-Upper management claims they love to promote from within but demote people and write people up consistently. They think that “the people” are the problem but are consistently ripping apart teams makes it hard for their to be a good connection between the staff. The continuous training makes it hard for those who do excel to be on the floor doing their best. General store manager was amazing.
Decent stock managing
Good times good fun team ..Not a great company too move up or pursue a career although a great job for students or beginners.

Overall great stock and sales experience, customer service and marketing.
High Performance
Do not work here unless you’re okay with a challenge, don’t mind not going on vacation for a year and constant coaching. No raises and can be a negative environment
a cool place to work
tres bonne ambiance en general, les horaire flexibles et l avancement est vraiment reel dans cette compagnie,
salaire un peu bas mais seul problème mais au moins la bonne humeur est tjrs la
Would work there again for sure
I worked at LB for about almost two years and it was fantastic. It's a small store so you end up really close to the people you work with which makes shifts super fun. You do have to meet a requirement of sales which will reflect on how many shifts you get (the more you sell, the more shifts you get) so this can be stressful at times but it's really the only thing that wasn't super great. You get to wear whatever you want so I loved picking out nice outfits to go to work.
Trash
Racist and unfair
They have little to no management

HR don’t care about you , tried complaining about a racist manager but HR completely ignored me after which they refuse to give me shifts & I was forced to quit
This company is amazing to work for
when I work at little burgundy the manager that hired me always when with her gut and trusted her instincts about people and it never let her down. She made should you were okay physically and mental she was and still is an amazing manager and I was so bless to meet her before she left to another store in another province to make it as greet as she did this one.
Fun environment, bad commission
Fun environment to work but not worth working full time unless you're at a high volume store. Commission is low and getting a return under your name will make you lose your commission. Good for a part time job if you are okay with just minimum wage.
Amazing place to work
Little Burgundy on Queen Street is like working with family. They make you feel at home and train you super well. Encourage you to do well and make you motivated.
Regional manager is insane
I worked for this company for almost 2 and a half years and I loved it— for the first 2 years. My team was awesome, we all got along very well and it made coming to work enjoyable because there was no drama. My manager for the first 2 years provided us with a fun work environment while at the same time keeping us in line. She always pulled anybody aside and corrected their behaviour if she caught them doing something she didnt like. It made her very respectable. However, the district manager, for as long as I worked there, had a vendetta against her and I for no reason at all. The first time he met me he told my manager he wasnt sure about me and how well I’d do, but my manager reassured him that I was good. I then went on to have the highest employee sales AND shoecare in the whole store for the years of 2017 AND 2018. After that, every time he saw me he’d praise me, but I knew he was still a little unsure of me because he would get upset with me about the littlest things. He cares a lot more about little things that dont matter, than big things that do. He was threatening to demote me and fire my manager because sometimes we showed up ONE MINUTE LATE to open the store... and mind you, we had to be there by 9:30 when the mall opened at 10. So he was upset we were getting there at 9:31— 29 minutes before the mall even opened. Even though we were one of the most well-performing stores in the whole company that 1 minute of being late made him want to demote me and fire her. He was always getting upset with her, even though the Vaughan Mills location is one of the highest volume - more...
Terrible environment and Management
- Managers are incapable of treating workers well leading to a toxic environment.
- Immense pressure to exceed goals that are beyond realistic.

- Only good thing about the store was the variety of items they had in stock.
Healthy work environment and work culture is highly motivating
Consistency with service is key and it really helps you build a strong work ethic because you will be tested to perform your best at all times.The customer is always right! I have always considered myself a pretty patient person but working in retail really puts your patience to the test. Sometimes you will be put into irritating situations, but you have to stay calm, listen to the customer, not get frustrated and endure.