Liquor Depot Canada Employee Reviews

A mediocre employer with wonderful employees
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 May 2019
The best part of shopping and working with the company was always the staff, they (my staff included) were always knowledgeable and ready to assist an inquisitive customer.
The most frustrating part of working with the company was the rampant micro-management of area and district management staff that often left my and other stores with unnecessary and tedious Make-work projects.
Pros
Affordable Staff Discount
Cons
Frequently Short Staffed; High Turnover
Don't bother unless you're in school or retired
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 May 2019
When I started, full time hours were a possibility once you'd proved yourself. That is no longer the case; people who have been around for years went from 40 hrs/week to 20 or less all due to a management decision. The company has decided that "any warm body will do" and hardworking people are treated the same as slackers. No benefits either unless you are management.
Pros
Not overly difficult
Cons
No chance of making a living
productive
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 April 2019
My day always started with doing deposits and the paper work from the night before. Monday and Tuesday was ordering days in which i ordered all the stock that was needed. Being able to provide great customer service was what i strive for. My boss was the most understanding person i have ever worked with. I also worked with some awesome people. Some days were very hectic and others very enjoyable.
Working at Liquor Depot
Keyholder (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB16 April 2019
Pretty easy work. You sell alcohol, clean the store, rotate stock and interact with customers. I wasn't a manager but I heard they were very hard on managers who did not meet their constantly shrinking employment hours available per month.
Fun Workplace
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Ladysmith, BC15 April 2019
The Liquor Depot is a very fun place to work. I enjoy interacting with customers all day long and learning about the different types of alcohol. Being able to spread knowledge about the variety of tastes and forms of alcohol is very interesting. Although I enjoy working here, I don't like the hours. Personally I wish I could start earlier in the day resulting in having more of the day to enjoy off work. I find myself going from midday to late at night, wishing I could do something else with my time than just work.
Pros
Customer Service
Cons
Long Hours
Excellent management training provided, fun
Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 April 2019
I received excellent, ongoing training with the chance for advancement. I enjoyed learning about new products and meeting new people. It was a fun and exciting environment.
Pros
Benefits, training, bonuses
Cons
Theft
Joke
Liquor Store Clerk / Keyholder (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 March 2019
I worked at three different locations and management was an issue at all three. The district manager was just as bad for Edmonton. I would never go back and work for this company
Cons
Sometimes fun, often stressful. Poor management.
Sales Associate / Key holder (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 March 2019
I decided to quit working for liquor depot after a series of stressful events, which in all honestly, are just par for the course working in the liquor industry as you see a lot of addiction related behavior, such as theft, robbery, and generally unwell people threatening your security. However, that is just my experience.

A typical day of work mostly involves serving customers at the counter, and helping customers find the right products they are looking for or making recommendations to customers who are looking for something different.

Other usual janitorial duties such as cleaning the floors, windows, or dusting shelves still applies, and you get a lot of experience in inventory management.

As a key-holder I was responsible for sometimes filling inventory and sales reports on morning shifts and looking through loss prevention reports, as well as sometimes placing products orders myself (though not often). Every employee is expected to count and put away orders, create inventory cycle counts, and submit their counts on the office computer to check for inventory errors and then fix those errors. There were many tools at your disposal to check inventory, and even see the inventory available at other stores, which was a very rewarding aspect of customer service as you could make sure that particular customer was able to find exactly what they were looking for. I very much enjoyed learning the inventory aspects of the job, as well as basics of shipping and receiving, as they are valuable skills that are transferable to any job working retail or warehousing.

You
  more... are also provided many opportunities to learn about the product, compared to lets say clothing retail, as you often get to talk to the product representatives in person, engage in product sampling, and read in depth information given to you about the products target market, taste, history, production methods, etc. Many employees and management took a genuine interest in the culture of alcoholic beverages, even outside of it being a job requirement, which in my opinion did lead to high levels of service.

Management, at least for me, was quite a roller coaster. The turn over rate for store managers was about as high for that of regular employees in the area that I worked in, so store management was often unpredictable and I had to try and adapt to many styles of management. Upper level management, was also quite unreliable, as they often overlooked many stores, and had to be concerned with numbers and figures more so than managing the requirements of each individual store. If your store needed more shelving, or had to have permission to re-arrange sections that are arranged according to the plan-o-gram because the high theft target items were to easy to conceal or run out the door with, then these issues took very long to address if they were ever to be addressed at all because store managers did not have much say in the matter. It would seem that because of this, good managers who wanted to have a say did not last very long.

Job security was fickle, again, just because it is the liquor industry, because one slip up on requesting the ID of a customer could cost you your job, and even then if others at your store failed to request ID too many times, your store was viable to lose its liquor license.

Workloads varied depending on what what time of day you worked your shifts, as morning shifts did not have many customers and could have to wait till the afternoon to receive any deliveries, and could not afford to leave the front area too often as they worked alone most of their shift (our store was a small store, other larger stores did not have this issue). Afternoon to evening shifts dealt with the majority of the customers and putting away deliveries, which made the shift go by much quicker, and your worked with another person which made you feel safer, but often there was an observable difference in productiveness and attitude among those who typically worked evenings and those who worked mornings.

Hardest part of the job, and the reason I chose to leave, was that in the majority of theft incidences, there is nothing an employee can do besides deal with the aftermath and fill out police reports. In spite of this, upper management believed that a significant amount of theft could be reduced simply though "customer service" and watchfulness, despite the fact that most shoplifters will deny that they have stolen anything and just walk out with the product in their jacket or pants, or outright just run in and grab an armful and run out. To be fair, management was working on hiring more security to their stores before I left.

The best part of the job was interacting with customers who were genuinely kind and interesting, and we got to know them quite well.
Pros
Amount of training offered to employees and amount of retail related skills learned
Cons
Job insecurity, high turnover, poor management, dealing with police every other day
always learn something new
MANAGER (Former Employee) –  red deer, ab6 March 2019
a typical day involved making sure the store was clean while assisting customers and making sure all sales goal were met daily as well as making sure customers were happy
Pros
benefits for management
Cons
benefits only available to management
It was an alright job
Store Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 February 2019
The salary wasn't practical but then again it was a liquor store. My managers at that location were solid and great people to work with, but overall i just didn't feel fulfilled at that job.
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 February 2019
Liquor depot was a stable job.I liked working there and enjoyed the same customers and the bond you can create with them.Safe place to work as there is a lot of procedures in place.
Pros
Great Customers
Cons
Graveyard shifts
Overall can be good.
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 February 2019
Working for liquor depot has it challenges along with any other job. But upper management are very clicky and only choose who they like for promotions. The staff who work there butts off and do the work assigned to them seem to just get stuck or fired for incompetence. There is no recognition for being with the company for years. Staff don't even get a staff party for Christmas but head office gets a huge party for all the area managers and head office staff. Bonus are constantly being changed and basic excuses are being made from head office as to why! Head office really needs to stop ordering LTO buys for the stores and invest in a larger warehouse so that stores are not over crowded by product that is going to go stale not worth the savings.
Pros
Bonus, pay, customers, product knowlege
Cons
Lack of communication. LTO. Clicky upermanagment
Unsafe.
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 February 2019
I worked within a 2 block radius from another Liquor Depot and after that location was robbed at machete point, our district manager wanted us to work until 2AM alone to save wages. Terrifying and unprofessional.
Fun job good customers. Management is unstable and head office is clueless. Hours are up and down and raises are a joke.
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC5 February 2019
Would be a good place to work if head office knew what they were doing. Ordering things they shouldnt and not caring about employee and customer requests. Management gets away with murder and takes all the credit while employees bust their butts with zero recognitions and sad 20 cent raises and lack of hours. Zero job security.
Pros
Discounted liquor
Cons
Everything else
Nothing special but decent
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB31 January 2019
Started at an underperforming location, but soon after changed management. In the time after that the new management completely turned the location around
Some perks but a lot of downsides
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 January 2019
The store culture certainly varies from store to store but the problem is upper management.
- They don't take concerns seriously
- High theft. They expect employees to walk up to thieves and deter them with "customer service" instead of stand behind the till (thieves are often drug addicts or drug dealers) but do nothing to prevent theft themselves, such as security, lock boxes, etc.
- Promotions are poorly planned causing customer/associate frustrations with pricing and inventory control
- Inventory control itself is a joke. Frequently berate stores for their ordering and inventory movement but pre-order products for stores that will not sell
- Area Managers spy on their stores from the parking lot
- Expect a lot of work to be done but budget stores so only one person is working; it's difficult to accomplish tasks when you can't be far away from the front of the store
Pros
Discount, good regulars
Cons
Store hours, working alone, high theft, no support from upper management
Fun place to work when you're young.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 November 2018
A typical day included stocking shelves, helping customers, and cleaning each night. I learned how to work as part of a team. The hardest part of the job was running a till. The flexible hours were the best part about this job.
Great people to work with
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Westbank, BC16 November 2018
Working with customers from the till, stocking store, and aiding customers with questions. I learned how to deal with a wide array of customers as well as wine. management was not presence much during my afternoon/ closing shifts but were always good to talk to. Workplace culture was usually quite good as the coworkers were great people. Hardest part of the job was refusing sales to already drunk customers. The best part of the job was the great time with coworkers and getting a great knowledge of wine.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Company could have been more employee oriented
Absolutely the best job I have ever had
Warehouse Manager/Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB14 November 2018
As with all jobs there were difficulties, but problems are always addressed and resolved in a timely and pleasant way. The management is usually just as hard working as the sales associates. The hardest thing to deal with is customers.
Different
Manager (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB13 November 2018
Liquor Depot as a whole is a great company to work for. They do not value honesty or hard work. The area managers differ, but there are some great managers. My manager, on the other hand, was very different and never verified anything that happened in the store. I balanced the inventory and brought the store up to making good money.