LifeLabs

LifeLabs Management reviews

Canada194 reviews
I got through via agency. I was promise a position after the required hours for probation. After I did the required hours , they took six months for me to get a opening. And after all that I didn’t get in. Work for a year and half, job was easy but really annoying. Management would never come to our site and I was there for a year and half never met the manager of your site. Pay was low and it was almost impossible to get full time
Pros
Easy nobody bothering you
Cons
Low pay, false promises, very cheap company, impossible to get full time
You will be forced to perform illegal activities. Management will scream at you for trying to say no. Basic lab safety rules are not followed. Staff are not actually trained in procedures, nor do they follow them. Management will threaten staff who try to bring up concerns.
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
Illegal treatment, bullying, harassment, threats, failure to train
As a part time employee (which means casual in the world of LifeLabs, and you are not guaranteed a schedule) you are a work mule. You can work more then full time staff depending on if they are short staffed or not. You can start your day at one location, than have to move to another to fill a shift. If you request to have less shifts and have an availability change management asks a lot of questions as to why. Maybe more part time (regular) and full time positions should be issued to new candidates if more of the schedule for locations need to be filled. Pay is very low, when you can start in a hospital for almost $4/hr more. As a part time (casual) employee you are not entitled to benefits which isn't far when you are working as much or more than a part time (regular) employee.

The company in a whole really needs to reevaluate the structure. A lot of problems with staffing can be solved with a higher pay scale and making part time (regular) and full time positions available to those who want set schedules. Part time (casual) positions should not be the working mules behind the company to keep it afloat. These employees should be used as fillers for the employees who take holidays, and to pick up sick calls so you are not short staffed. Overall would not work here again, and would not recommend to anyone.
Saw a lot people come and go during my time.
There is a culture of scapegoating and I saw the same situations re-occurring.
Management has no ability to reflect and learn from previous experience. Employees get very little support. The people that stay here receive and accept the emotional abuse that is part of the lifelabs experience.
No one I work with regularly has any notion of what professional conduct is. Not my co-workers which rotate often because the management and culture is so uncaring and oppressive. Not the management that do not seem to have any idea what is going on most of the time. LieLabs would be a better name. The company doesn't care about employee's or accurate test results. I am leaving ASAP.
The post written below was obviously done by the supervisor/manager. Full time positions as well as part time positions are regularly posted due to the high turn over rate. Supervisors need to learn how to treat their employees with respect
Lifelabs is only good for people who are starting out and need experience. Once you do please apply to the hospital where you will have better pay and be appreciated. It is very stressful and not worth jeopardizing your health. At my location “two” of us have to run back and forth doing data entry, phlebotomy, ECG’s, collect urine samples, handle complaints from patients, do timed tests
and handle appointments who have priority. We also have days that families come in groups with their kids and a lot of the time there isn’t anyone to greet patients at reception because patients are waiting to be helped inside our rooms.
Some days it’s a struggle but management doesn’t care and supervisors are too inexperienced to know what to do and how to schedule.
Staff need help but all they talk about is budget!!
Worked as a courier, great job and benefits. Nice balance and management. Would go back any time to work there . Left due to a personal problem . Great for older workers .
Pros
Vacation, benefits, managers good to work for
Cons
Can be busy due to staff shortages
Working in Lifelabs during my Placement thought me a lot. From theory into actual practice helps me develop my skills of what I've learned during my studying as Medical Laboratory Assistant. I considered as a Very challenging workplace, productive and friendly staff, including the management.
Management only thinks of their own pockets. The department I was working in only cared about daily production, not quality. It is obvious that this company runs with one and only one goal: profit. Employees are treated very unfairly.
People/staff are friendly and generally a good place to work, however, usually understaffed. More work than there are bodies. I feel the company lacks inclusion of all sites across the country.
It is like a normal lab, sometimes it gets very depressing dealing with patients the whole day. There are some employees who are not very welcoming to any new hires which was not nice.
worked at Lifelabs for many many years, it was a fun and rewarding company when it was called MDS. The company does not pay well and it takes years to get to the capped salary and starting wage is horrible. There is no proper training and employees are not rewarded for their commitment to Lifelabs. Very very busy workplace and always short staff, therefore the stress level is extreme. The company only cares about making money now and ignores the work that employees do.
Great Company to work for. Challenging however rewarding. Management Supportive at all levels.. Engage employees
Opportunities for advancement. Strategic acquisitions make this company a leader in the industry
Internal politics, no way of progression no matter how good your performance
Management doesn’t listen to employees Too much pressure at work make physically sick Always shortage of employees Overall very unhealthy working atmosphere
I'm considered part time but I still get full benefits. That is a huge bonus for me.

I've had great managers the entire time I've worked for Lifelabs but I would say issues are with upper management.
the friends you make, makes it more bearable, however there is a target that needs to be reached, quality and quantity really matter to this company, therefore fast paced. Management is okay, definitely have favourites, shift availability is great, you can decide what hours you can and can't work for the week if discussed with the manager.
Just an awful place to work. Engagement is so low and management does not care. They want long hours without any recognition or rewards. There is a lot of negativity in the corporate culture and everyone beating down everyone. It just sucks the energy out of you. Very demotivating and depressing coming to work thinking who is going to rain down today. Poor manager - employee relationship
I would give LifeLabs a 0 star ratting if there was an option. I continue to work here only because I need a pay check until I find a new job. What once was a wonderful place to work has become a nightmare with new management structure. Work expectations are unrealistic and unprofessional behaviour of management is to say the least toxic. Employees are kept on contract 3+ years with no benefits, doing the same work or more than others. Company does "restructure" and lets go of long term employees and continues to hire.

For a business that deals with patient testing you would expect integrity and a respectful work environment. Sleezy, unprofessional and demeaning describe the current work environment.
I am a results-driven Senior Management professional with more than 20 years of verifiable experience in leading sales teams, strategic business development, increasing revenue and managing budgets. Exceptional communicator with a consultative sales style, strong negotiation skills, exceptional problem-solving abilities, and a keen client needs assessment attitude.
Busy office. Strong management. Support staff seemed frustrated in their roles. Not an exciting workplace but one that is focused on better healthcare in Canada.