LifeLabs

LifeLabs Pay & benefits reviews: Laboratory Assistant

Laboratory Assistant24 reviews
Canada24 reviews
Salary is competitive and its a good place to work. Lots of opportunities to move within the company.......................
As a part time employee (which means casual in the world of LifeLabs, and you are not guaranteed a schedule) you are a work mule. You can work more then full time staff depending on if they are short staffed or not. You can start your day at one location, than have to move to another to fill a shift. If you request to have less shifts and have an availability change management asks a lot of questions as to why. Maybe more part time (regular) and full time positions should be issued to new candidates if more of the schedule for locations need to be filled. Pay is very low, when you can start in a hospital for almost $4/hr more. As a part time (casual) employee you are not entitled to benefits which isn't far when you are working as much or more than a part time (regular) employee.

The company in a whole really needs to reevaluate the structure. A lot of problems with staffing can be solved with a higher pay scale and making part time (regular) and full time positions available to those who want set schedules. Part time (casual) positions should not be the working mules behind the company to keep it afloat. These employees should be used as fillers for the employees who take holidays, and to pick up sick calls so you are not short staffed. Overall would not work here again, and would not recommend to anyone.
Staff perpetually work over time.
New staff are only hired on as temps so that they pay union dues but don't receive any benefits like a regular worker.

The manager lied to my face when she told me my contract was being renewed.

I asked to know two months early so that I could ensure I'd be able to pay rent. I followed up at one month, two weeks, and one week remaining.

She did not let me know instead she put me off with a variety of reasons why corporate hadn't sent her the approval yet. I was called in on my last shift. She left early for her weekend.

I'm still in contact with staff there. Apparently, it's been terrible like this ever since the merger.

Computer technology is also *at least* a decade out of date.
worked at Lifelabs for many many years, it was a fun and rewarding company when it was called MDS. The company does not pay well and it takes years to get to the capped salary and starting wage is horrible. There is no proper training and employees are not rewarded for their commitment to Lifelabs. Very very busy workplace and always short staff, therefore the stress level is extreme. The company only cares about making money now and ignores the work that employees do.