LifeLabs Employee Reviews

Courier Driver Pro’s/Con’s
Courier Driver (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON27 November 2018
Far too much responsibility, workload and things to remember for each stop on routes. Too much in-and-out of vehicles. Too much lifting, loading, unloading, and carting around boxes. Feels like you’re working as a Courier Driver for UPS or FedEx, but barely being paid over minimum wage. Not worth the time or the physical pains. Can be quite sad and depressing when having to walk through retirement and nursing homes. Become a Taxi or Uber driver if you’re looking for a relaxing part-time driver job.
Pros
Relatively steady hours (but only part-time)
Cons
Pay is barely over minimum wage, Too much responsibility and physical work.
Based on a contract perspective
Office Administrator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 November 2018
I was hired on as a temporary employee to help the NCI team. There were many employees hired contract at first. I was hopefully I would get long term extension like them, but I was not fortunate. The management were flexible with my time off to deal with personal situations, as long as I made up my time throughout the week.

Overall, because of their fairness and the great salary I was making and pleasant colleagues. I would recommend working for them and I would love to work for them again!
Pros
Great pay, flexibility, company events for employees
Cons
Hire contract first
A good private company with fair benefits.
Accounts Receivable Clerk Senior (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON2 January 2019
Lifelabs is a private company but offers fair benefits to employees. For example, vacation starts with 3 weeks.

However, the company has super old computer system and we do our daily work in a way which was back to 1980's. We all struggle a lot in working in a company which has continues growing business with the systems of 1980's. Working is extremely inefficient there. Maybe it is because of the industry specific requirement.

In this case, the management can do nothing but struggles together with us. All employees are pulled to different positions or jobs daily because we are all short of hands daily. It is normal that we get confused " what shall I do today?" or " who will be in the team to do the work today"? It is hard to work in this super uncertain working environment.
Pros
good benefit
Cons
very high workload with uncertainty
Horrible company
CTA (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC31 January 2019
All they care about is how many patients they can fit through the door. They are way under staffed. The workload is overwhelming. You sometimes miss breaks because it’s so busy. It’s almost impossible to get everything done in time. Management does not care if you have no work life balance.
Pros
Always hiring
Cons
Work overload and stressful
Disappointment
HR Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 September 2018
Regarding the work environment, there were red flags from the start of recruitment that persisted into the training period. There are individuals that create a toxic work environment by displaying favoritism and backstabbing. However, there are also individuals within the department and in LifeLabs that are genuinely good employees and team players. Does LifeLabs have the potential to be a top employer? Of course, it does, but LifeLabs really needs to reflect on the organization’s culture, reassess their onboarding processes and improve leadership guidance management.
Pros
open work concept layout and shuttle for parking lots
Cons
backstabbing
Great place to learn and grow professionally
Communications Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 October 2018
This was an amazing opportunity to work with LifeLabs and understand this side of the health care industry. The first company I have supported with such strong female leadership at thet top and has become my inspiration for becoming better, professionally and personally.
I internship for 3 months
Medical Laboratory Assistant/Technician (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 November 2018
For 3 months in internship here in Life Labs i found the place to be very environment friendly. Is a great company to work at. If I have an opportunity to work at this place it will great.
Pros
flexible time
Fun to work – Good environment
Senior Network Engineer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 December 2018
LifeLabs is serving the healthcare needs of Canadians. LifeLabs performs more than 100 million laboratory tests every year. IT has a big role to play in delivering the test results.
Pros
Lot of opportunities to grow
Productive and fun
Placement for a Lab Technician Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON 101 Queensway13 September 2018
I enjoyed working for this modern progressive company. There was plenty of opportunity for growth and to learn new skills. I especially enjoyed the camaraderie as encouraged by management. There was a very healthy and encouraging workplace culture in the entire lab
Don"t work here
Lab Technologist (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC23 July 2018
its sad that the management has zero respect for most of its employees
there is rampant favoritism
performance reviews are a joke
if you are sick you have to call 3 different people
they steal time from you with their Kronos time management, if you are late even a minute they dock you (and write u up) but do not pay you if you stay until its over 10 minutes!!!
micro management at its best
Cons
worked with some i say some great people
worst company
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  London, ON6 January 2019
this companies management needs to learn how to treat there employees if they want to keep them or they will continue to have such a high turn over rate and overall bad patient experience
Experience varies from departments
Medical Laboratory Technologist in Microbiology (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 September 2018
Everyday is busy and challenging, there are many changes and you need to adapt. The style of the manager's leadership has a direct impact on the work environment.
Pros
free coffee
Cons
work life balance is hard to achieve, lots of shift work
High paced and pressure to preform quickly, this jepordizes patient care.
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC29 August 2018
Company treats employees and patients like numbers and not human beings. After 7 years with the company and excellent performance on my reviews I still could not secure a position and had to resign because of poor scheduling
Productive and fun workplace with some nice staff members.
Medical Laboratory Assistant Technician (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON22 July 2018
Usually the morning hours are pretty busy as there are more patients come for the tests that requires fasting. I got more experience with phlebotomy and ECG which I enjoy the most plus I also learned the communication skills and professionalism as well as courtesy as there were patients from wide variety of different cultures and ages. All the staff members were very friendly and helpful. I always felt part of them. They always guide me where I was lacking.And I completely appreciate that. I also enjoy looking at some Histology and Cytology samples and working with other body fluids. I really find them interesting. For the hardest part of the job I would say that sometime because of busy day i used to take late and short breaks.
Pros
Free tea and coffee
Cons
Long hours and hard work
Management Versus Employees
Mobile Lab Patient Technician (Former Employee) –  Toronto and Durham Region11 September 2018
Management's only goal is to have their employees fail. Or atleast have something on hand to use against the employee.

And some co-workers will even tatle tale on you.
Pros
Union?
Cons
Everything about the management.
High churn, lack of qualified leadership & poor culture
BD (Current Employee) –  BC5 September 2018
Operationally some very dedicated people however, leadership in all other areas is sorely lacking. Managing upwards is the only key to success needed. Culture is toxic, hopefully new CEO will help change this.
Positive work enviroment
Medical Laboratory Technician/Assistant (Current Employee) –  Langley, BC28 August 2018
Always growing and learning within the company, everyone works together in a very positive enviroment all coming together for the same purpose, and there is room to grow and be noticed within the company.
Catty female dominated environment
Medical Laboratory Assistant (Current Employee) –  BC4 December 2018
No supervision, catty female dominated environment, toxic, understaffed and overworked for minimum renumeration. Senior staff dump on new staff. Typical day you are run off your feet, you are timed and scrutinized on computer by senior staff, training was less than sufficient and not professional and skipped due to understaffing and being too busy. The supervisors are too busy performing personnel/HR/staffing/payroll/compiling stats to actually do any supervising. The Company is all about how many patients they can shove through their doors and they will sacrifice quality for the almighty $$$s. Hardest part of the job is dealing with jaded co-workers and being understaffed. The most enjoyable and only good part of the job (great in fact) is dealing with the patients that put their trust in you. The only job satisfaction is using your skill and personality to perform an excellent service to your patient. Unfortunately the Company shuns you going the extra mile and they promote the human production line.
Pros
Interacting with the public
Cons
Understaffed, overworked, lousy scheduling
Never bored
Clinical Technical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC19 April 2018
You are definitely kept on your toes working for LifeLabs. Very busy and often short-staffed, but teamwork is amazing and your days go fast. You are entitled to plenty of vacation, but it is extremely difficult to get the dates you want when you have little seniority, especially during peak times (summer, Christmas, spring break). If you work closing shifts, expect to work overtime a lot. No shortage of hours for those who want to work.
Pros
Great co-workers. Opportunities to pick up hours. Awesome benefits.
Cons
Difficult to get time off. Labs often short-staffed. Some labs require you to work alone at times.
good company,
Senior Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON19 August 2018
enjoyed working there. lots of staff movement which is a difficult culture to work in. great management. i worked for directors and they were all fantaSTIC

Ask a question about working or interviewing at LifeLabs. Our community is ready to answer.