LifeLabs Employee Reviews

HR department is an absolute mess! Stay CLEAR!
HR Manager (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON24 July 2018
It's been a long time since I have encountered such a toxic environment within a department. The directors lack professionalism. They congratulate themselves on a job well done, completely dismissing the hard work of the team. There is a lot of back-stabbing and preferential treatment. Its a "who you know" environment and who likes you best. Managers are expected to work well over their 9-5 schedule and be at the back and call of the director. Just because you are hired to do a specific job, it does not mean you actually will as your role may change significantly. Directors pass you by on the hallway without even saying hello as if they are too good for you. It's sad.

It seems that the new CEO is taking a serious look at the culture as I see the Executive team changing. This change is necessary at the director level as well. There are a few that have been there significantly too long and feel that they cannot be touched. They treat their employees horribly and need to be let go in order for the culture to change. As it stands right now, this is a sinking ship. People are too afraid to even speak their mind as they fear for their job.
Pros
Met good people
Cons
No lunch breaks
Don"t work here
Lab Technologist (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC23 July 2018
its sad that the management has zero respect for most of its employees
there is rampant favoritism
performance reviews are a joke
if you are sick you have to call 3 different people
they steal time from you with their Kronos time management, if you are late even a minute they dock you (and write u up) but do not pay you if you stay until its over 10 minutes!!!
micro management at its best
Cons
worked with some i say some great people
Productive and fun workplace with some nice staff members.
Medical Laboratory Assistant Technician (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON22 July 2018
Usually the morning hours are pretty busy as there are more patients come for the tests that requires fasting. I got more experience with phlebotomy and ECG which I enjoy the most plus I also learned the communication skills and professionalism as well as courtesy as there were patients from wide variety of different cultures and ages. All the staff members were very friendly and helpful. I always felt part of them. They always guide me where I was lacking.And I completely appreciate that. I also enjoy looking at some Histology and Cytology samples and working with other body fluids. I really find them interesting. For the hardest part of the job I would say that sometime because of busy day i used to take late and short breaks.
Pros
Free tea and coffee
Cons
Long hours and hard work
Good professional workplace
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Thorold, ON15 April 2018
I enjoyed working for this modern progressive company. There was plenty of opportunity for growth and to learn new skills. I especially enjoyed the camaraderie as encouraged by management. There was a very healthy and encouraging workplace culture in the entire lab.
N/a
Manager (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC9 April 2018
This is not a great place to work. The people are miserable and tired. There is too much change administered by directors with no change management processes in place.
Pay is a joke
Former Courier Driver (Former Employee) –  Thorold, ON2 April 2018
The pay is something to be desired. This job is huge responsibility and importance of job does not reflect the pay! The pay scale is a joke. No wonder this company can’t keep good people and employee turnover is huge. How can they not realize this??? Once people realize the inadequate pay for the responsibilities this courier job comes with they’re out of there. If they paid better, maybe people would stick around. Poor management too would not recommend a job here.
Cons
High demand
Worst place I have ever worked.
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 March 2018
I would never suggest this company as a workplace. This company only cares about themselves and how they appear to their patients. No care for employees who care for the patients. The hourly wage does not come close to being adequate for the work provided or for living costs. Full time positions are dying out to the two-part-time-positions syndrome.
productive and good work place
Medical Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC24 March 2018
•Focus on the company and your individual experience while employed there. good working atmosphere, and protect patient information, learn new skills.
Busy environment with plenty of room to learn more
Medical Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 March 2018
It was a good place to practice my skills. Staff where friendly and I enjoyed learning phlebotomy and performing ECGs. Although I was there for six weeks I learned quite a lot.
Feels like factory work
Lab patient technician (Former Employee) –  Simcoe, ON8 March 2018
It feels like you’re working on an assembly line. Like you’re running around in circles the entire shift but also talking the entire time with no breaks for water. You are chastised for taking longer than 3 minutes to take blood. You will work 9.5 hours or longer with only ONE half hour break. If you value all the hard work you did in school, do not work here.
Cons
Long hours, limited breaks, horrible training experience
LifeLabs Courier
Courier (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON27 February 2018
Part time!
Great place to work. management work around your schedule when possible. Pay is above most place's for a courier. I have worked here for 10 years and never have a problem with staff or management. Vehicles are kept in good working order summer and winter. Online training is provided almost monthly and driver training is top notch.
Pros
Good working conditions
Cons
very stressful place to work for. always understaffed. never knew what location they will put you at through out the day. when sick,find own coversge
Laboratory (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 February 2018
Everyone trying to chum up to supervisors because you know you can lose your job in minute. No advancement, and noone cares how long you've been there
Pros
paid holidays, vacation if full time paid
Cons
short staff, managememt is not good, long hours
Busy and productive and awarding place to work.
IT Service Desk Analyst (Current Employee) –  100 International Blvd. Etobicoke3 February 2018
Busy and productive and awarding place to work. Learning new things everyday. Good team and sharing technical ideas and promoting diversity, respect and values to employees
Crazy place - so bad I want out
CTA (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC2 February 2018
There's a reason why there are so many long serving employees here....many are excellent and really dedicated but they've been here so long they have golden handcuffs

But theres a significant percentage that are there for the money and stable hours (ie they don't want to work rotating shifts at hospitals). They've either lost their way or just didn't have it to start and found their way in because we're always so short staffed.

Management are either anonymous, absent or just incompetent (and as a result don't deal with colleagues who should work elsewhere). That's incredibly frustrating. Instead they are more interested in making themselves look good, pretending to care and loading on more and more work. Directors showing up with cakes and fake tears just don't cut it.... you're incompetent.

My advice: use this as stepping stone to something better.
Pros
Salary; working hours
Cons
Management, workload, insincerity, toxic culture
Bad Place for MLTs
Medical Laboratory Technologist (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON25 January 2018
I started at Lifelabs as an MLT right out of school. The workload is insane and the pay is considerably lower than a hospital. The other staff members were stressed and managment had little concern for what work in the lab was like.

Work in a hospital.
Pros
Regular shifts
Cons
Poor pay, bad environment, stressful
A complete Joke
Medical Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC18 January 2018
Unprofessional, racist, and pointless.
The company does not give references for any employee no matter how long you've worked there.
They are slave drivers that complain if you take a sick day.
Not a good place to work
Engineering (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC28 December 2017
This company is a total mess. It has a poor management at all levels that has created a very stressful working environment. Avoid this place at any cost.
Productive fun place
Mobile Phlebotomy Technician (Current Employee) –  Listowel, ON20 December 2017
I like working with patients, some have very compelling stories to share.

I don't necessarily like waking up seniors at 500am in the morning...but it is a job and accuracy is key.
rewarding
Senior Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON12 December 2017
rewarding experiences working at lifelabs. lots of learning opportunities and advancement. Good culture, could better in some areas. lifelabs is a good option for a temporary job.
Great company to work with
Medical Laboratory Assistant (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC11 December 2017
Good management
A typical day is overload work sometimes.
Lots to learn in team atmosphere.
Good management
work culture is good
hardest part is some of the team member
Union job

Ask a question about working or interviewing at LifeLabs. Our community is ready to answer.