Life Time Employee Reviews

Found 38 reviews matching the search See all 2,134 reviews
I would call our work culture "smoke and mirrors"
Employee (Current Employee) –  Ajax, ON27 January 2019
Not a place to seek full time employment, pay wages are lower for all departments than they are for other gyms/fitness companies in the local area, because of this staff morale is sort of low and there's a lack of motivation. Quite a demanding work load for low pay.

We are trained and asked specifically to smile and cater to the members even when being verbally demeaned/disrespected and management does not seem to take care of their employees.

Job security is scarcely low and management encourages you to put your name/photo/sell yourself out there to patrons/members. Very uncomfortable and unethical for gym members to seek out lifetime employees through social media after hours but it happens.

Given that lifetime is also an American company fairly new here in Canada, they need to adjust to Canadian culture and laws in terms of respect and privacy for employees. Lifetime is alright if you're looking for a part-time or temporary/seasonal job, but is not a healthy work environment or financially sustainable in the long run.
Pros
Free membership, discounts on lifetime food/products.
Cons
Pay does not equal what management asks of employees, hard work for low pay. Low morale, Low job security
Talented team
Regional Elite Life Time Athletic Instructor (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON14 January 2019
Great people
Talented employees
No work life balance for management
Training available
Nice facility
Too corporate
Multi-facet facility
Decent pay
Pros
People
Cons
Poor work life balance
Do no recommend to work at this selfish company who is just focused on $$
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON13 January 2019
Only focused on $$ and not on helping the members, very selective and can take more than half of your money and do so many shady deals.
Would never ever work with a company like this and how they treat there workers and no real perks.
Pros
free membership
Cons
don't really care about workers
Great place to learn and develop a sold work ethic
New Club Opening Support Manager (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON4 January 2019
IF you can survive her for more than 2 years as a manager , you are ready for anything. Really helps you learn how important work life balance truly is.
Fun, Fast work place environment
Life Cafe Staff (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON14 December 2018
I loved working at Lifetime Fitness! It was absolutely the place where you meet new people, discover different cultures and how others interact in their everyday life and forcefield! I learned new things about my body, mind and spirit while working here! Due to family circumstances I had to cease and desist my time at this wonderful place, but I would definitely work again in an atmosphere such as this!!
Pros
Good people, Amazing Benefits, Amazing place
Cons
No bad review
Not for all
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON26 September 2018
If you enjoy fitness and providing a great service to your clients, working here will help you connect to the motivated individuals that will make you enjoy your day! The clientele are so generous and grateful for you to help them reach their goals.

Something that will not be so much for you is the management. Lifetime has a growing turn over rate of personal trainers due to the inconsistency of management. I was not impressed with how they treated their personal trainers and definitely was not impressed with favoritism that was shown.

There was always a sense of insecurity of the job because management never seemed impressed nor supportive. Overall disliked my time there are Lifetime, but enjoyed the members and their stories and personalities.
Pros
free gym membership, scheduling times
Cons
inconsistent policies, sharks
Great Leadership Team
Cook (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, ON1 August 2018
I had a great time working with the management at Jackson Creek. I wish I had been able to stay on at the end of my term.

I oversaw the meals from start to finish and helped adjust the menus for our resident's needs.

The staff genuinely cared about the residents and it showed in their day to day interactions with them.

I found it difficult to keep my focus on the quality of meals while needing to correct or keep things going on the paperwork side of things as I cooked the majority of the meals.

I had great support from my boss.
Pros
Great atmosphere
Cons
not enough time in the day
Always keep busy
Facility Operations Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON14 July 2018
Club is always busy, especially in the evenings, staffing in department could be better, lots of laundry to do, locker room needs constant attention, members aren't always all respectful of the club.
Did 120 hour co-op and enjoyed it for the most part
Co-op/Field (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ON13 June 2018
During my course with Lifetime I really got to learn about the fitness industry. The main thing with this industry as is with any industry in that it is a business first and foremost. You can know everything about exercise science and nutrition but if you cant sell yourself than you will not make it in the industry. The facility itself is very clean and the machinery and gym equipment is for sure top of the line. The Management is great, but you have to keep the sales up or they will get rid of you.
Pros
Free use of the facility and it really is the best facility
Cons
pressure to make sales
Not a good place for long term, get treated badly, and pay is horrible.
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ON19 May 2018
DO NOT get me started on the pay, the pay is horrible! Put so much effort and time into something and end up getting a pay cheque that a highschool student makes working in McDondalds. They aren't direct with you when it comes to how their going to pay you. They switch back and fourth from commission to hourly. If you don't make enough money they threaten you about losing your job. Everyday is the same pressure, ESPECIALLY with a new manager and new assistant manager who don't know what their doing and pick their favourites and pick on other people by bullying them and bringing them down.

Management is okay. Until this new manager came and literally ruined everything for everyone just to keep herself safe. Wish upper management did a better job on hiring rather than clearing their plate as soon as possible to fill the seat. Past managers of certain departments were much better but I don't blame them for leaving because they would get threatened of losing their job or position every month.

Lifetime is a beautiful place, I still love it. I work out there. Just sad how the staff gets treated and members notice it too.
Pros
Free membership
Cons
very poor management, poor pay
Love this place!!!!!
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON11 May 2018
One of the very few places that I have worked at and can honestly say that I enjoy it. People complain about management but don't realize that this is an American company and they are still fairly new to Canada. It will take time to work out the kinks and for them to understand Canadian laws/cultures. Having been there awhile, there have been many changes and the company is progressing in the right direction.
Pros
Too many to list
No day is the same
Manager (Current Employee) –  ON29 April 2018
Great environment to work in. Surrounded by passionate team members. Some days it does not feel like work at all. Some days can be stressful. Culture at Life Time is very dependent on Management team's ability to lead. Most rewarding part of the job is seeing Members happy and having a great experience.
Pros
Fulfilling, great environment
Cons
Can be stressful, Work/Life Balance is inconsistent.
Ok for a first job
Locker Room Attendant (Current Employee) –  Ajax, ON5 February 2018
management could be way better, staff is not well taken care of. To be quite honest its like working with a bunch of high school jocks and children. Promises are made to move up but none of that ever happens.
Coworkers were okay at best and management only cared about the numbers
Spa Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON12 December 2017
Other than the free gym membership and some coworkers, it was not a good job. You had to act a certain way and were expected to do more work than what your actual role was. You are always watched even if you think you are not. Also there are no warnings. If you do something they dislike once you are done. I did not feel like I learned or grew as a person here at all.
Pros
Free gym membership
Cons
No breaks, bad mamagement
Productive and fun workplace
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON28 November 2017
There is opportunity for moving up in the company and to continuously reach new milestones. It is a friendly and supportive environment for any employee to work at.
Pros
Free lunches
Great family place
Felicity Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Ajax, ON1 November 2017
Very busy work place. You get to meet a lot of new faces. Helping others with their fitness goals and lifestyles. I have worked in many different departments over the years at life time. Each department has taught me new things and I have enjoy all departments of Life Time.
Fun workplace with friends that will last a lifetime.
Facility Operations / Management - Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON11 October 2017
Easy going , non stressful workplace
Managers show behind the scenes to understand the landscape of a big company
Similar to a big family
I thoroughly enjoy the free gym membership
Pros
Membership
Productive Film Company
Assistant Costume Designer (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC27 June 2017
Loved working with this crew, very welcoming, hard working and know how to produce a film! Great Production Manager, and amazing experience. Hope to work on it in the future.
Competetive Wages
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ON13 June 2017
Wage expectation is competitive with comparative retirement homes. The residents are amazing and staff work great together. Sometimes it can be difficult to provide safe consistent care due to under staffing.
Very fun, energetic and fast paced environment.
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Ajax, ON29 May 2017
Nothing to complain about at this building! Aside from some unfit management, everybody in the building gets along well. Team chemistry is a big part of success which is why I believe that LifeTime Ajax is doing well in comparisons to its sibling locations.
Pros
Free membership

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Life Time. Our community is ready to answer.