Life Time
Here to help: Coronavirus update

Life Time Employee Reviews

Canada47 reviews
Excellent opportunity to make a solid living
Fast paced. Well managed. The team was encouraged to seek out opportunities to improve their education. Regular team and management meetings. You always knew where you stood,
n/a
n/a overall lifetime is a great place to work...great staff.. benefits on using the facilty for free... love it... Trainers are amazing, management understand each employee with their needs
Very fun work environment
The best part of working at Lifetime is all of the different people I got to meet. As a Lifeguard/Swim Instructor I was constantly meeting new people, which is always fun because teaching has always been fun for me and I've always loved swimming. The hardest part of the job was the interview, it was a competitive interview to say the least but the job itself is very easy to understand and execute
Horrible Management by an American owned company
The management here is the absolute worst. They are like a bunch of high school students running around the playground telling on one another like a bunch of sissy's. This place is a constant revolving door and is loosing huge money at this location. Absolute horrid horrid place. Avoid at all costs. I wish I never even accepted this job.
horrible, degrading and terribly managed
Besides the free membership for the gym....this is the worst company I have been employed with. This is an American company that has zero knowledge of Canadian business. The loses that their Canadian locations take are enough to show that they are being management by buffoons. Egotistical and "mens club" are terms I would use to describe the Area Managers.
Pros
membership
Cons
everything else
Okay
The workers and work environment was fun and secure, with the best people you could possibly find. The organization however, was bad and materials were often understocked. We were often understaffed and it was stressful.
Great Team, Poor Management
I thoroughly enjoyed my time working in LifeTime Mississauga's Cafe until they decided to change management and policies. My coworkers were young and energetic about the job, and honestly the reason I stayed for so long. Though the benefit of the gym membership is tempting, the salary and management is troubled.
Pros
Gym Membership
Cons
Unstable Work Hours, Poor Direction from Head Office
Min Wage and NO More
I can honestly say that I've wasted my time here.
Junior managers all around.

Pay was not as promised during interview process.

Management pushes you to sell anything under the sun to make money. Very dirty industry.
Pros
Free Membership
Cons
Poor Pay and Hours
good hours good staff
hired good staff, easy environment. Managers are really easy to talk to and get to know. Great experience i love working here. Good benefits to working here
Pros
free membership
Fun Workplace, Low Wages
I worked in the spa and we had a great team and manager, but for as big of a company as Lifetime Fitness is, the wages were awful and not at all what an upscale spa should be paying their employees. It makes you feel unappreciated and undervalued. As for upper management (corporate), you're only a number to them.
I would call our work culture "smoke and mirrors"
Not a place to seek full time employment, pay wages are lower for all departments than they are for other gyms/fitness companies in the local area, because of this staff morale is sort of low and there's a lack of motivation. Quite a demanding work load for low pay.

We are trained and asked specifically to smile and cater to the members even when being verbally demeaned/disrespected and management does not seem to take care of their employees.

Job security is scarcely low and management encourages you to put your name/photo/sell yourself out there to patrons/members. Very uncomfortable and unethical for gym members to seek out lifetime employees through social media after hours but it happens.

Given that lifetime is also an American company fairly new here in Canada, they need to adjust to Canadian culture and laws in terms of respect and privacy for employees. Lifetime is alright if you're looking for a part-time or temporary/seasonal job, but is not a healthy work environment or financially sustainable in the long run.
Pros
Free membership, discounts on lifetime food/products.
Cons
Pay does not equal what management asks of employees, hard work for low pay. Low morale, Low job security
Talented team
Great people
Talented employees

No work life balance for management

Training available

Nice facility

Too corporate

Multi-facet facility

Decent pay
Pros
People
Cons
Poor work life balance
Do no recommend to work at this selfish company who is just focused on $$
Only focused on $$ and not on helping the members, very selective and can take more than half of your money and do so many shady deals.
Would never ever work with a company like this and how they treat there workers and no real perks.
Pros
free membership
Cons
don't really care about workers
Great place to learn and develop a sold work ethic
IF you can survive her for more than 2 years as a manager , you are ready for anything. Really helps you learn how important work life balance truly is.
Fun, Fast work place environment
I loved working at Lifetime Fitness! It was absolutely the place where you meet new people, discover different cultures and how others interact in their everyday life and forcefield! I learned new things about my body, mind and spirit while working here! Due to family circumstances I had to cease and desist my time at this wonderful place, but I would definitely work again in an atmosphere such as this!!
Pros
Good people, Amazing Benefits, Amazing place
Cons
No bad review
Not for all
If you enjoy fitness and providing a great service to your clients, working here will help you connect to the motivated individuals that will make you enjoy your day! The clientele are so generous and grateful for you to help them reach their goals.

Something that will not be so much for you is the management. Lifetime has a growing turn over rate of personal trainers due to the inconsistency of management. I was not impressed with how they treated their personal trainers and definitely was not impressed with favoritism that was shown.

There was always a sense of insecurity of the job because management never seemed impressed nor supportive. Overall disliked my time there are Lifetime, but enjoyed the members and their stories and personalities.
Pros
free gym membership, scheduling times
Cons
inconsistent policies, sharks
Great Leadership Team
I had a great time working with the management at Jackson Creek. I wish I had been able to stay on at the end of my term.

I oversaw the meals from start to finish and helped adjust the menus for our resident's needs.

The staff genuinely cared about the residents and it showed in their day to day interactions with them.

I found it difficult to keep my focus on the quality of meals while needing to correct or keep things going on the paperwork side of things as I cooked the majority of the meals.

I had great support from my boss.
Pros
Great atmosphere
Cons
not enough time in the day
Always keep busy
Club is always busy, especially in the evenings, staffing in department could be better, lots of laundry to do, locker room needs constant attention, members aren't always all respectful of the club.
Did 120 hour co-op and enjoyed it for the most part
During my course with Lifetime I really got to learn about the fitness industry. The main thing with this industry as is with any industry in that it is a business first and foremost. You can know everything about exercise science and nutrition but if you cant sell yourself than you will not make it in the industry. The facility itself is very clean and the machinery and gym equipment is for sure top of the line. The Management is great, but you have to keep the sales up or they will get rid of you.
Pros
Free use of the facility and it really is the best facility
Cons
pressure to make sales
Not a good place for long term, get treated badly, and pay is horrible.
DO NOT get me started on the pay, the pay is horrible! Put so much effort and time into something and end up getting a pay cheque that a highschool student makes working in McDondalds. They aren't direct with you when it comes to how their going to pay you. They switch back and fourth from commission to hourly. If you don't make enough money they threaten you about losing your job. Everyday is the same pressure, ESPECIALLY with a new manager and new assistant manager who don't know what their doing and pick their favourites and pick on other people by bullying them and bringing them down.

Management is okay. Until this new manager came and literally ruined everything for everyone just to keep herself safe. Wish upper management did a better job on hiring rather than clearing their plate as soon as possible to fill the seat. Past managers of certain departments were much better but I don't blame them for leaving because they would get threatened of losing their job or position every month.

Lifetime is a beautiful place, I still love it. I work out there. Just sad how the staff gets treated and members notice it too.
Pros
Free membership
Cons
very poor management, poor pay
Love this place!!!!!
One of the very few places that I have worked at and can honestly say that I enjoy it. People complain about management but don't realize that this is an American company and they are still fairly new to Canada. It will take time to work out the kinks and for them to understand Canadian laws/cultures. Having been there awhile, there have been many changes and the company is progressing in the right direction.
Pros
Too many to list