Lids Employee Reviews

Great first experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON13 February 2017
Lids was a great first sales experience.
the main skill i learned was team work.
I had to be fair with the other employees when it came to sell
Pros
Clientele
Cons
very slim growing opportunity
An good environment with good people
Cashier/Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC11 February 2017
a fun environment filled with fun people that are easy to get along with. Customer service is one of the main focuses. Days are filled with meeting nice people and having good convorations
Pros
usually in a mall
Cons
low hours
Interesting & fun environment, even more so if you enjoy sports & fashion
Sales Rep (Keyholder) (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON23 January 2017
It was a great job to work at. I've been interested in sports clothing & accessories since I was a little boy.

I learned a lot about the basic day in - day out operations of running a retail store & keeping business flowing smoothly.

I had a great relationship with my fellow co-workers & we always did our best to work together & achieve whatever it was that needed to be completed. As well as giving me a chance to be responsible on my own over the course of the 2 years I was there.

It also helped me more so with my sales knowledge & simple dealing with customers. Showed me that there was a definite demand for the products we were selling.
Pros
Great discounts, great chemistry, great products
Cons
Hours varied, at times very slow, minimal pay
Enjoyable workplace
Lids Key Holder/Temporary store manager (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC21 January 2017
I was trained to open and close the store. I was able to run the whole store since I was a temporary store manager before I moved to Vancouver to go to school.
It's retail.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON15 January 2017
Work associates are wonderful but because locations are small a lot of drama can/will occur.
It's a retail job, if you're a genuine people person you'll do great.
Fun workplace and new people to meet
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 January 2017
A typical day at work included stalking shelves and working the counter for sales.It took a few days to get used to the work environment but I quickly learned the routine of stacking shelves and working at the register.The management was strict but rewarding when we met the required sales.My co-workers were very outgoing and exciting to work with. We always got along and worked well together. The hardest part of the job was managing the store alone when co-workers were on their breaks, but if I needed assistance they were always ready to help. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with co-workers and getting along with them making longer shifts feel shorter.
Pros
Fun staff and discounts
Cons
Management issues and long hours
Fun work place with customers
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Brantford, ON10 January 2017
working within Lids Sports group you get to experience a fun environment. on a typical day you'll be getting new inventory, seeing what new apparel you'll be selling. Typically the day tends to fly by quickly due to the conversations with majority of the customers. From personal experience usually customers will come on just to talk about the recent sporting event or a sport team. You get to know your customers and will be able to relate to certain needs/wants within the store.
Pros
Customer Interactions, Family Enivornment
Cons
Not so busy during certain part of the year
summer job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 January 2017
it was good to work for a summer job. The management is terrible. Not worth the time and money. you feel trapped int he work space especially when there is absolutely nothing to do.
A day at rexall
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 January 2017
Atypical day at work would be setting up the stores at Rexall Place to get merchandise ready for the game. I learned organizational skills. I would say the management was a little flustered at best as they were new in their positions. MY coworkers were the same. The hardest part of the job was the cleaning at the end of the night where we took all the merchandise from the stores back down to the warehouse. The most enjoyable part of my job was definitely just being able to work at Rexall Place.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
no breaks
horrible managment
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 December 2016
no help, no training for new hires, forced to do more out of position. store is never cleaned, and never any product available
Interesting and Fun place to Work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC12 December 2016
Lids it's a fun and Interesting place to work , especially if you like Sports. Perhaps the days are really long and you always do the same things over and over. There's never new Challenges.
Pros
40% off at Little Burgundy
Cons
Not paid enough
Lids.
Manager (Former Employee) –  BC27 September 2016
Some great people, some not so great.

Great sales culture and a sports focus is terrific, always opportunity to grow. If you like competition and like a challenge in sales this is the place. Wages not the best, need to enjoy what you do.
Terrible place to work.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC17 September 2016
Terrible place to work. They treat you like dirt. Out of my 9 years in retail/customer service worst place I have worked. The higher ups such as dms and regionals judge you and accuse you of things you never even did or they get mad cause you messed up. But thats from no proper training at all. Read manuals and books on my own time cause they didn't give the training time. I ran my store for 3 months with no store manager and was not given raise for doing all store manager duties and not providing me with enough employees so me or my employees can actual have a break and go to the washroom. Countless shifts this happend to me. When I said something amd spoke up cause none of this alright. I get let go after ten months cause they said im not the right fit. Overall terrible turnover rate overall bad place to work. Stay away
Pros
Get a discount on hats
Cons
Poor higher up managment, dont pay enough, judge employees
Not fun to work for, worked to the bone to get nothing in return
Manager (Former Employee) –  Canada16 September 2016
Very poor communication in all levels of the company. Not a friendly environment. Very dishonest company as well. No care for people who work at a store level including managers.
Pros
Great environment in the store with staff and people who love sports
Cons
The company out of stores are heartless
great
sale associate (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON13 September 2016
lids is a great place to work great work environment. the management is amazing. ive learned a lot about customer services
Great to Learn
Manager (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON3 September 2016
This company is amazing to work for to start and learn. It has many opportunities to grow and move up withing the company. It's always easy to reach out and get help when ever needed, and they are constantly redeveloping to become even better.
Not a good place to work
Assistant manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 August 2016
I was hired as the assistant manager and was treated as if I was a key holder. The pay is terrible. And the store managers always are yelling at you for something. Better not have your tee shirt un tucked. You'll probably get written up. Also they have unrealistic goals for sales. You will be selling hats. Not clothing Wichita is easy to add on too, hats on the other hand are not. You are also expected to work ridiculous hours and if you have an emergency surgery better expect you only get one day off and are forced to go back to work because you are not allowed any time off unless it's 2 months in advance.
Never good enough
Store manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 August 2016
I was putting in 60 hours a week as a manager and nothing was enough. Terrible training program and upper management was never available for problems that arose.
We were trained on the embroidery machine and then when it would break no management would be able to fix it and we would be punished for not hitting our embroidery quotas.
The pay was terrible and we were constantly threatened with our jobs and expected to be doing 5 things at once to perfection. A completely unrealistic standard.
I loved the customers and my staff but beyond that the company is a horrible place to work.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Terrible pay, long hours, unrealistic expectations, constant punishment and threats.
District Manager/ Head Office
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC15 August 2016
Head office and district managers didn't listen to staff who work on a daily basis. Company expectations were near unmatchable.
Pros
Good fellow co-workers
Cons
Higher management didn't care, stress, add ons.
Interesting
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Eaton Centre27 July 2016
Most challenging job I've ever been in and it taught me the most. Met a lot of amazing people who have gone on to do great things.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lids. Our community is ready to answer.