Lids Employee Reviews

Good job for students, make your own shifts
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 July 2017
Usually worked from 4pm-12am. There were no set hours because they would not know how long the hockey game would last, so it was frustrating to never know when you would end (obviously not the managements fault). Not the best if you have school the next morning. You do get to choose when your shifts would be which was very nice. Co-workers were friendly
Pros
Choose shifts
Cons
Late hours
Good Place if you like sports and hats
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON5 June 2017
Good place if you like sports and hats but you are constantly working alone with no breaks including bathroom breaks. errors are not explained and quite often are written up with no warning
Negative
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  BC29 May 2017
Upper management is not concerned about you as a person. They expect a lot for little in return. Paying employees a minimum wage doesn't motivate a person to perform at the standards this company expects.
Pros
The employee discount.
Cons
The entire job.
Good retail experience
Supervisor/ Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Orleans, ON24 May 2017
Good retail job to learn how the business works. Learn a lot about customer service and management. There is also a good discount on hats for employees.
A day in the life at Lids
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON17 May 2017
As you start your shift, you follow up by checking the daily sales plan. Once thats done you get on to the sales floor, organize what needs to be organized, help out customers, and do tasks that need to be done such as, packaging online orders, stocking shelves, counting inventory, etc. Customers should be told about the Lids membership and the benefits to purchasing one. Lots of additional things needed to be sold along with the purchase of a hat. These things include hat cleaner, lids membership, embroidering on any hat. The most enjoyable part of the job had to be interacting with customers, as well as working with my coworkers.
Pros
Great environment to work in
fun and great workplace
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Vernon, BC15 May 2017
average workplace.
I learned how to embroider.
great management
social culture.
making own hats was most enjoyable.
hardest part was not buying all the hats
Pros
short hours
Cons
short hours
typical retailer
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 May 2017
Its a great place to work if you love sports, especially the Blue Jays. very good part time job around your full time career if your just looking for extra cash.
Felt more like a party than a job
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 May 2017
This is partly due to the nature of the job, selling Oilers merch during their first playoff run in 11 seasons is a huge deal to many Edmontonians. Despite making minimum wage with zero benefits, it never felt like "work". Great atmosphere, I can't think of anywhere else in the city I would have rather been at the time of the post-season run!
Pros
Free Oilers playoff games and 40% off jerseys and merchandise
Cons
Minimum wage, no benefits, many colleagues had little to no work ethic
Great place to work for people just getting into the work life.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB6 May 2017
I Love working at lids, great people, great customers, amazing environment. Great discounts on Headwear and apparel. Very good place to start off if you have little to no experience.
Unfair Advancements and Absent Upper Management
Manager - Retail (Current Employee) –  BC24 April 2017
The overall job is a fun environment if you enjoy working with people, communicating with customers and the sporty vibe Lids sets forth. I started out loving my job until I realized how corrupt the upper management of the company is. There is favoritism over management and they seem to value employees who don't carry substantial knowledge in their work rights and their position to create management with "superiority."
It's not horrible
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON21 April 2017
Lids Sports Group is an excellent beginner job, however there tends to be a lot of workplace drama. Management is too nice to discipline anyone, so things can get out of hand, Under qualified assistant managers that walk all over you. Payroll problems, and a DM that doesn't seem to care about his employees. As well as an overly low per/hour pay rate.
Open and fun fun environment
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON19 April 2017
I learned a lot of things at Lids about customer service and management. The environment is fun and supportive (when busy). Starts ti become redundant but overall good.
done
Full Time Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC8 April 2017
Management was bad my experience there wasn't good didn't get fairly treated the DSM all he cared about was the store not us no good awful experience.
Great
Commis aux ventes (Former Employee) –  Pointe-Claire, QC7 April 2017
Great place to work,amazing people and a definaty a great job and it is also an amazing place to work if ur a fan of sales and sports they show you what to do when a customer arrives
Pros
Staff
Cons
Standing up
Fun part time job
Sales Associate/Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON17 March 2017
This is a Great job to have on the side of schooling because of the flexible hours. You get to learn communication skills and there is room to get advancements.
barely worked, creepy manager
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB8 March 2017
uncomfortable and really bad at selling hats
only ever had one shift a week
quit bk for it
regret so much
had a cool lanyard
literally least favorite
Pros
had a snapback with a pinapple
Cons
couldnt hit start button
Lids is definitely a good all around company.. For a part-timer..
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON15 February 2017
Honestly, at first going in, I thought that I would end up going places within the company. As long as you show up for your shifts on time, do what you are supposed to do, you would be golden. Management at the location I was placed at wasn't the greatest. I was promised hours that I ever so desperately needed as I am a young father, and the most I saw was about 15-25 hours over the course of TWO WEEKS consistently. The most hours I've seen was 34.50 hours and that was during the holiday hours and right after that, my hours went straight back down to little.. to almost nothing. So if you are gonna work for any lids establishment, make sure there is a good and fair manager and if you are looking to survive on that job, make sure the hours are there before you accept the position. The reason I say to make sure management is good there, is because I was promised two positions on two different occasions and on both occasions the position was given to someone else BUT I knew nothing of it until a couple weeks to a month later. So that is something to think about when considering a job at Lids and also looking to grow within the company.

As far as a typical day at work goes, it is exactly what you would expect at a hat store. A really laid back day. Almost everyday is a slow day.

An enjoyable part of the job I would say is dealing with customers and sharing your knowledge on sports and the products you are selling.

The hardest part of the job would be the paperwork. There is a lot more paper work than you would expect from a at store. I would also say that the budgets and
  more... goals were almost always unattainable mainly because of what they are selling which is hats.. Something that not everyone needs as opposed to pants or shirts or shoes ect. Anyone can leave their home without a hat, but nobody will leave their home without shoes pants or a shirt. So the budgets are more of a clothing store rather than a hat store.  less
Pros
Exceptional Work Enviroment
Cons
Not Enough Hours
Great first experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON13 February 2017
Lids was a great first sales experience.
the main skill i learned was team work.
I had to be fair with the other employees when it came to sell
Pros
Clientele
Cons
very slim growing opportunity
An good environment with good people
Cashier/Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC11 February 2017
a fun environment filled with fun people that are easy to get along with. Customer service is one of the main focuses. Days are filled with meeting nice people and having good convorations
Pros
usually in a mall
Cons
low hours
Interesting & fun environment, even more so if you enjoy sports & fashion
Sales Rep (Keyholder) (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON23 January 2017
It was a great job to work at. I've been interested in sports clothing & accessories since I was a little boy.

I learned a lot about the basic day in - day out operations of running a retail store & keeping business flowing smoothly.

I had a great relationship with my fellow co-workers & we always did our best to work together & achieve whatever it was that needed to be completed. As well as giving me a chance to be responsible on my own over the course of the 2 years I was there.

It also helped me more so with my sales knowledge & simple dealing with customers. Showed me that there was a definite demand for the products we were selling.
Pros
Great discounts, great chemistry, great products
Cons
Hours varied, at times very slow, minimal pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lids. Our community is ready to answer.