Library and Archives Canada Employee Reviews

3.9Pay & Benefits
Library and Archives Canada: Pleasant work atmosphere with excellent job security, and good benefits.
Acquisitions Technician (Current Employee) –  Gatineau, QC25 August 2018
I have been working for this government department for many years, and I enjoy working for a cultural institution. I am proud to be contributing to Canada's national heritage.
Pros
Excellent work atmosphere.
Cons
N/a
I only worked here for a short time
PM-4 Senior ATIP Analyst (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON14 June 2018
It is a very good place understaffed and lots of work to be done. They were in the process to get new people in to do the work. They were doing interviews when I left and were going to staff with permeant people.
Pros
great staff
Cons
no food on site files can be very dirty and falling apart because of time.
Excellent group of people to work with
Policy Analyst (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON3 August 2017
A wonderful place to work, wish I could have stayed longer. Valuable work being done, really felt like I was making a difference. great physical location.
great department
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON9 February 2017
The Library and Archives of Canada was a great department to work. Work environment was excellent and had a terrific Management team. Unfortunately, due to the cut back they had to terminate our whole team. I had the opportunity to work twice as a casual employee, but unfortunately, due to the policy of the Government of Canada, you can only work 90 days per year. I am a strong and dedicated employee who is looking to get back in the work place.
Excellent workplace
Archival Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON11 July 2016
I loved my time with Library and Archives Canada. I spent my time filing and recording documents all associated with the project I was working on. My manager and supervisor were always excellent in the support that was available if needed. Having no former experience in the field I learned a ton about how the archival process happens. I was brought on as a student assistant and their treatment of students is top class. LAC set up and took the students on trips to other archives around the National Capital region to help us continue our learning. That was valuable and helped create a reward. I loved exploring the history of the documents I was filing and that was fantastic. The repetitive nature of the work was slightly frustrating but with a large project as the one I worked on that was pretty much unavoidable, in general most at LAC did not have that repetitive problem.
Cool team to work !
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Gatineau,QC12 October 2015
Library and Archives Canada
a like it
Its a really nice job to work
and my co -worker there great
and its really fun to work at this place!
Pros
non
Cons
37.5 h
beautiful building and awesome place to work
Genealogical consultant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa30 April 2015
Library and Archives Canada is an institution thats offers many reference services to the public. As a genealogical consultant, I love working with old archival documents.
Interesting Work
Collection Management Clerk (Former Employee) –  Gatineau, QC26 March 2015
Personally sorted over 1,000 Canadian Solider files from WWI. Rare pictures, awards, medals, and medical history were occasionally found in files and noted. I received valuable experience and knowledge of how an archival preservation site is managed.
Productive and fun workplace
Help Desk Analyst (Former Employee) –  Gatineau, QC25 August 2014
A typical day would be to do maintenance work on the virtual machines and the labs in the building;
Learned a lot about virtual servers and ESXi configuration;
Management was pretty good;
Co-workers were awesome.
Archiving
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa26 November 2013
Create an e-copy database, linking digital images to textual records
Create textual descriptions for historical records, sorting, indexing, filing and controlling records
• Review, verify e-copy records that was created from various government departments and enter information such as file title, files and container numbers into the MINISIS database
• Once a match is found, a record is created in the e-copy database, noting the unique number of the image and unique number of the textual description.
Government co-op position.
Media Communications Officer - (Co-op Program) (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON18 October 2012
Good opportunity for a student. Good job training. Enjoyed the experience.
Heritage Preservation
Digital Imaging Technician (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON21 September 2012
Although I loved working at Library and Archives Canada, I feel I was grossly underpaid for the skills and handling required for the position I was in. I learned a lot about heritage preservation and digitization. I also learning about housing archival materials and documentary history. There was no hard part of the job itself; however I did have to keep my evening job in order to make enough money to live. Thus, I worked 72 hours a week. Staying awake and keeping healthy was the hardest part about taking on this position. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people and the material with which i was exposed to.