Levitt-Safety

Levitt-Safety Employee Reviews

Canada39 reviews
Working at Levitt is great because you feel like family. The management do not know if they are going left or right. Head office does not care about their workers, we are just a number that can be replaced. I did love my almost 3 years with them and the guys that I worked with. Our customers were great to deal with I learnt a lot with the training that I got from my previous supervisor. If they could figure out their management issues I would go back to work for the company.
For the work that is required, the wage is very low. This is a decent place to work if your young. If you have a family to provide for, this is not a place for you.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Low wages
Levitt is a laid back but serious place. Depending on the location, it can be a fun place to work. People genuinely want to help you to succeed. Some people have been there for 30 years so the turn over is not too high. There a sense of family and regular get togethers. Your attitude will determine your altitude!
Pros
Great work life balance
Cons
Communication from upper management can be an issue but it’s work in progress
They are great people to work with. They have several events within a year that the whole work sites partakes in. It is hard work but the people are totally worth it.
I have not been there in a while so I cant judge but from what I can remember it is limited as far as advancements

But it definitely a family business environment
Great staff a good place to work, employees make the place. Management out of touch dismissive of subordinates, not incline to seek front line employees input and expertise. No room for advancement employs mid and senior management from the outside. Wages poor to start increases slowly over many years, incentives limited, individual productivity not link to incentives.
Levitt-Safety was one of my favourite places to work. The people are very kind, and always willing to help you learn more. The management is encouraging, and very welcoming.
Fly-In/Fly-Out offer of work with a paid place to live (As of 2017), Fort McMurray is a unique place to work, and Levitt is an interesting company. Friendly co-workers, who for the most part make you feel like family. Shift work (2 week rotations, 12 hour days) leads to poor management, as constant shuffling of technicians during the same job is almost unavoidable.

Cramped living conditions (As of 2017) lead to some in-fighting, and shared rooms between shift workers have led to more than one argument in the past.

Rules did not seem to apply to everyone in the same way.
Enjoyed my time at Levitt. Great employee engagement, lots of extras to get involved in. (charities, events, sports teams). Relaxed environment but not slow.
Pros
Approachable management
Cons
Long tenured bitter employees
Management is horrible. They did not care about your well being. Turn over was extremely high. Benefits were "ok" at best. Pay was below industry standard. In-house training was non-existent. Would never work for these guys again.
decent place to work, disorganized in upper management, now room to grow. They have a good benefit plan and they don't micromanage their staff. high turnover due to ppl leaving.
Pros
friendly
Cons
low pay
Quebec branch is complicated to work with. Management were great, but their few old styled "guardians" of employers didn't get along with the newcomer work style.
Very poor management practices, especially for the service department. Little support for service technicians, and company doesn’t sell their service very well.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Hypocritical management
20 August 2019
Thank you for taking the time to offer your feedback. It’s difficult for me to speak to your specific situation without more detail or knowing when specifically you worked with Levitt-Safety but what I can say is that over the last two years we have been heavily investing in initiatives within the areas you've described. Our Field Service Software project is almost complete and is focused on equipping our managers to have better insights into their operations to help them support their teams with workflow management, training, and a better experience for our technicians in the field, as well as for our customers. Heidi Levitt has also just returned to the company with a strong focus on aligning our sales team to better sell our services that we are so proud of. We are also launching a new leadership program to help better develop our service management team and allow for better succession planning and development for our service employees overall.

I'd be more than happy to discuss your specific insights with you if you are interested in reaching out to me directly. Our employee feedback is critical to developing the culture we strive to have.

Sincerely,

VP Services
Worked at the POCO office for 6 months. Managers dont have a clue what they are doing and they wont help you, just find ways to blame you for any and all mistakes. No support system with other techs either. Youre always in the dark and bave very little to work with when it comes to complex sites.
Its an incredibly toxic work environment. The very few technicians who work there and have for many years are clearly checked out. The office staff talks poorly about everyone else and nobody likes eachother. Its a branch so they dont have nearly the same integrity about their work as a family owned local fire protection company. If you want training and more money, good luck. If you want to learn new skills, good luck. There is zero job security and if youre actually a good technician expect to be pushed out by people who are threatened by you.

Not to mention HR decides everything including wages and they are well below what other companies pay in the area for qualified technicians.

Stay away! Just becuase they look the part doesn't mean they know what they are doing.
Pros
Benefits seemed OK, never used them
Cons
Toxic, Stressful, Underpaid
20 August 2019
Thank you for your feedback and your passion for how a leading fire service company needs to operate. The experience you've described doesn't reflect the type of company we strive to be, and certainly isn't in line with the company’s culture initiatives launched earlier this year. We've recently made some changes to the management structure at this branch to better align it with the broader company objectives, and to specifically focus on building a positive culture where our teams work together for an exceptional experience for our employees and for our customers.

We will continue to drive positive change in all areas of the company based on employee feedback from reviews such as this, as well as through our semi-annual engagement surveys, and the open communication that we strive for. We will be Relentless About Improvement (one of our fundamentals) and encourage you to continue to share your suggestions with me directly, or any member of our leadership team as we work through our team-building in Port Coquitlam and across the Levitt-Safety organization.

VP Services
Over all a great place to work but the Sudbury branch needs work. With all the changes that have come I feel that they went into the wrong direction. Need to clean up older staff for this branch to survive. They did have a culture launch but with the changes at the branch I feel that they downgraded. They had a supervisor that cared for the branch but couldn't do anything. If they don't fix what broken it don't matter what they do it is not going to work.
A lot of out of town work and work family balance for little pay. They offer more money when you quit but it's to late at that point.
Pros
Excellant Tech's to work with
Cons
Older staff and do as I say Attitude
20 August 2019
Thank you for your feedback. I'm disappointed to hear your experience was less than ideal and we are working diligently to address some of the issues you allude to. Part of our conscious effort on culture is making sure that we do have positive, constructive alignment with our management and employees where everyone works together regardless of staff being new or "older" as you say; we value the contributions of everyone.

We are excited to welcome a new Branch Service Manager in Sudbury who is focused on building a great culture within the branch and making positive changes to make sure our team knows they are valued and supported. We strive to empower our managers and our team members to act with the customers’ and employees’ best interests in mind and look forward to building a great culture in Sudbury, and in all Levitt-Safety locations.

VP Services
Overall an excellent place to work in all aspects. One area that for sure needs work is retention of quality technicians. Technicians there work hard and are paid so little that they have no choice but to move on eventually. Pay them what they are worth and maybe you will retain a quality workforce at the pointy end of the stick...the face of Levitt Safety every day is the Technicians...
The company has a very high turnover in some branches which leaves gaps in service capabilities which competitors then jump on and the customer is lost. Management is trying to fix this but it will take time for them to realize they simply have to pay ALOT more to keep quality techs on staff!! It's a no brainer to outsiders looking in . Aside from this it's a great place to work 👍👍
Pros
Good People, smaller company atmosphere
Cons
Low pay, influential managers that need to be gone to be successful in an overall cultural change
23 April 2019
You are absolutely correct, our technicians are the face of Levitt-Safety and we are very grateful to have such a dedicated group of people who are passionate about making Canada a safer place to live and work. We are working diligently to improve the structure and culture in some of our branches to make sure that our employees are able to have a fulfilling, long term career at Levitt-Safety and not just a job that’s a good introduction to the industry. I appreciate your feedback, it’s an important part of our initiative towards deliberate culture, and is much appreciated.

VP Services
Nobody is perfect, but working here for the time that I had, gave me a base line to measure other potential employers to. Being that this company is distribution, there is a lot to learn about their vendors and products, and there are a lot of vendors and products, and people with different areas of expertise...learn fast and you will excel.
Pros
There are always opportunities to learn
Cons
You can't learn fast enough, things change very fast
11 March 2019
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and providing us with your feedback.

As a leading Safety Solutions provider, we pride ourselves on the deep knowledge our teammates display with our customers and on the wide offering of products and services to support our current and future clients. As you point out, the world is continually changing so learning is a priority at Levitt-Safety, whether you’ve been with us for 2 weeks, 2 years or 2 decades, we want to assist our team with staying current and deliver the very best products, services and expertise to our customer.

Thanks again,

Larry, VP Sales
So much potential but a lack of direction. Ownership should step aside and hire performing executives. Current Sales leadership is lost. Service leadership does not know how to expand. People show up daily with poor attitudes. Not a fun environment and pay for performance is nonexistent.
Pros
Base salary is ok
Cons
Top performers are not rewarded. No management direction. No work/life balance.
Great Company.
Good People but may have a morale problem.

They have recently taken steps to improve the culture.

Too much employee turnover in recent years.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Very little backup for vacation and sick time
EDM branch complete chaos. Led by terrible management. This place is toxic environment that does nothing but finger point and bog you down with processes that are not productive. No direction and support.
Great place to work, good culture. Not too big that you don't matter but not too small that it doesn't count.

I gained a lot of insight into the world of safety and really found a passion for the industry.

I enjoyed the tight knit feeling of the local office -