Leon's Furniture

Leon's Furniture Employee Reviews

Sales people and delivery people are over worked. Managers and owners never communicated so you are often confused and repeating work. They are Unprofessional at letting people go, they ask staff to not answer out going staffs calls, and say to tell them they are not there. Management then blames other management for being let go.The pay is good and lunch break is an hour long.
Pros
Pay is good
Cons
Poor communication
Working at a Leon's furniture store can be a beneficial experience and possible career opportunity for some. My advice to prospective employees would be to do a little groundwork first and find out if the store is Corporate or Franchise. If it is franchise then find out if the owner is someone you can work for. After 9 months of working for a franchise owner who put their profits ahead of all else, and working their employees to exhaustion, I had had enough.
Pros
Some of the co-workers can be very nice.
Cons
Shift work that has you working late shifts then early morning shifts next day.
Little to no training, due to the fast Pace in the warehouse safety is not a priority despite having to work at great Heights on a reach truck it's go go go and if you can't keep Pace because your harness has to keep being reattached and you have to move slowly so that you don't fall off then you get penalized for it
Cons
Lack of safety standards
Leon’s home furniture was a nightmare to work for. Their slogan is “part of the family” but as time went on it became apparent that it’s only those In management and sales that are included in that “family”.Management threw me to the wolves my first day, saying I would only be doing part time as I was a student at the time, but it became apparent I was replacing a full time worker and they wouldn’t allow me to move to part time. Consistently harassed by a warehouse supervisor who was downright creepy who kept telling me to drive home with him, and witnessed customer care workers consistently badmouth their elderly customers whose products were understandably broken from sheer bad quality. Furniture was also wasted and thrown away when there was no space in the clearance section, and some employees of the warehouse even suggested donating it to the habitat for humanity store just down the road, but management said no as it was a “waste of time and money”. Honestly these people shouldn’t be in business. Their covid prep was that of a toddler wiping up puke with bare hands and wiping it on a couch. No social distancing, no surface cleaning. Honestly surprised no outbreak was caused. Don’t work here. Ever.
Pros
Can easily hide from management in the huge showroom floor
Cons
Extremely long hours, disgusting work environment, power tripping management, overall slimy atmosphere
family owned company doesn't care for employees. Your opinions do not matter. Also, integrity pricing is only for show, they will definitely give you a deal, its who you talk to and how you talk, it matters.
Pros
Good commission and benefits
Cons
long retail hours including weekends and holidays.
I worked for Leons in Dartmouth, NS briefly last year at the Front Office. Honestly I loved it. Job was easy enough and for the most part, management and others were friendly. The wage for Front Office is quite low so you end up working with a lot of teenagers, some of them I found not so nice. It was awkward working full shifts and they would barely talk to you lol. If you can get over that small issue, and you're just looking for something part time I think its a great place to work. I had to leave abruptly due to my husbands work, but if they offered full-time hours for Front Office I'd go back in a heartbeat.
Pros
Staff lunches, discounts, good atmosphere
Cons
Low wages, a lot of immature younger staff
Good place to work without too much stress, and reasonable to work, not having good salary as basic one, but opportunity to earn more based on performance. Management is good because they always try to listen to sales associates, and do their best effort to resolve any problem if there is.
Pros
Listening to employee's opinion for better management, incentive for good performance.
Cons
Too much competition among sales associate, causing bit of stress some time, but manageable and understandable in company point of view
This was a family owned franchise. Poor pay, no work life balance, expectations of job were different than the description. We were asked to do things that were morally wrong. Raises were hard to attain even though more work was constantly given to us. Management, specifically the one owner would constantly argue with her husband in front of staff. Very condescending. Only concern with making profit and not the happiness of their staff.
Pros
great colleagues
Cons
management, pay, work/life balance was non existent
When I was there the shifts were 11 days on then 3 days off which to me is insane for being a min wage job. The management choose favourites constantly and gave all the extra shifts to them. They allowed verbal abuse between their staff and didnt want to get involved. You worked insane hours on holidays because we were always short staffed, you had to come in on days off for meetings at times you got paid but they were pointless as all we did was talk about how good the sales team was doing. I wouldn't recommend it honestly its not worth the stress.
Pros
Rarely fire people, If they like you youre set!
Cons
Long Hours, Rude Management, Favouritism, Kinda feels like high school with the "cliques", You will be yelled at frequently
As a delivery driver/ helper your earnings are 100% Commission based, meaning you don’t earn unless you deliver the product. Leon’s has a “1 for 1” policy which means we had to remove the old item of whatever we delivered. This is very literally twice the work, and some items exceed 300lbs, even 400lbs... that you’re expected to remove with only your partner. You’re also personally liable for damages you cause. It’s understandable in the sense of being accountable, but it’s straight up unfair to workers when a worker is put into a situation where they pretty much know damage will be caused to the home, but they have to try because the store will make you go back later in your day. So, a customer orders items that are FAR TOO LARGE for their home, then when you have to shoehorn them into the home, the customers WILL complain and you wind up actually paying money for doing said stop. Also important to note regarding removals: you will without a doubt be strong-armed by management to remove items that are straight up hazardous ie old mattresses with blood/ feces/ urine, old freezers with mold and animal blood or even items that most would have to use a machine to lift. The equipment they provide to do these insane jobs and lift these massive items will straight up cripple you if you aren’t VERY physically fit and accustomed to proper lifting techniques. For example, a 4-wheel cart with a long strap that you wrap around your wrist. This cart is put under fridges (many over 300lbs) then you walk BACKWARDS, up stairs usually, into peoples homes. This work is generally - more...
Pros
Not in an office all day
Cons
Working for free, You could get very injured, Management WILL force you to handle items that are biohazardous.
I currently work here, the environment is friendly and inviting all the time. Love the people I work with. It can be stressful at times for sure, but everyone is very helpful
Management is friendly, work is somewhat fun and a workout, the other employees will make you feel comfortable on your first day and everyone is super nice
Pros
Experience, peers, hours
Currently working here at leon's and I feel it is a very competitive workplace where employees are always active and interested in their work they got to be doing.
I would never work at Leon's, although there are some great staff members there. If I had known what I know now before I applied, I wouldn't have bothered. It's one of the worst places I've ever worked.
The owner of this location is something else. When you are hired for the Sales position, there is no explaining of how you are paid. They explain its hourly wage plus 3% comission. They forget to tell you about the part if your comissions exceed more than your hourly wage they take your comissions to pay themselves back the hourly wage they gave you. It's hard to make sales with the fact nothing is ever in stock and it takes almost 6 months for a couch to come in. Oh and you decide to quit, they take your comissions to pay themselves for am hourly wage you never clocked in for. I chose to work for free for the last 6 months and only have my pay based on the not so nice 3% comissions
Pros
The team at this location was wonderful
Cons
Overworked for a very small pay no matter how much you sell for them
This company is many things and none of those are positive. There is no support system as people are thrown into the job with zero training, the owner has zero ability to run a business the only thing he cares about is the money. Sales people are VERY POORLY paid they run on a draw system which due to the Kingston team forcing Brockville team to spew lies of when stock will arrive, several orders get cancelled which means you've dug your self into a hole with an hourly wage that you will never escape due to the fact that you can never deliver products. No products delivered = No commission = Your continually in the hole and indebted to this horrendous company. On top of that if you are over 2 thousand into the draw you will be terminated as you "aren't capable of selling" Even if you are the worlds best sales person, you can't sell someone empty promises and thin air. The turn over rate is EXTREMELY high, I am talking over 20 managers in the past few years and COUNTLESS other employee's. If you are a manager or behind the desk there is no support, no direction and you are punished if you make a mistake for things you were demanded to do without ever being shown how, to make it better you also do not get your lunch breaks. If you are sick or miss a day nothing will be done as no management is trained to take payments or problem solve, they are simple placed there as useless pawns for the upper management to **** on. The pay of ANY position in this store will never be enough to make up for all of the lies you have to tell people and the amount of displeased - more...
Cons
Unorganized, No Benefits, High turn over rate, No lunch breaks, No Money, False Promises.
they always tried to accommodate us for time off or family issues, good training, floor manager is nice and knowledgable, busy days are fast paced and the slow days are painful. Things have changed since Covid.
Pros
Great people
Cons
commission structure used to be better for staff
This is a terrible company to work for. They have no compassion towards their employees. So frugal. Terrible benefits. Management doesnt respect the employees at all. Underpaid. Always thinking of filling their own pockets
Pros
Stable
Cons
Management is frugal, very bad pay structure
Awesome place to work. Good work life balance. Highly recommended place. Good co worker cooperation. Overall enjoy my time here. Good management. I love this place.
Purely a commission-based salary structure for the Sales employees. You definitely make money during the on-season however there are days when you don't make a sale and earn nothing. Few veterans have been able to make a fortune out of this role and been in the company for more than 30 years.
I really enjoyed working at Leon's furniture. The staff and management were very kind and easy to work with, The pace was quick, but reasonable. All good.
  1. Employee reviews