Lehigh Hanson Employee Reviews

Horrible politics and work/life balance
Mixer Operator (Former Employee) –  Alberta9 December 2018
Two-faced safety enforcement and double standards of behavioural expectations; Management picks and chooses what to enforce and how heavy handed to be, yet completely ignores other major safety violations and refuses to act on feedback concerning said issues.
Double standards of behavioral expectations - some can get away with downright rude, offensive self-righteous attitudes without any fear of repercussion, yet others are held to be some kind of golden child of the organization while dealing with all of the other obnoxious garbage and should one choose to call out the ridiculous behavior repercussions will certainly occur. Hypocrisy at its best.
Management hates drivers, and the union hates the organisation. The politics are astoundingly bad- bullying, no communication and attempts to grind employees down to break morale and the union- it doesn't get much worse than this folks, it really doesn't. Collect your paycheque, ignore all of the horrible politics and poor behaviour and get out as soon as you can. Work/life balance is very poor. No idea of when start/finish times will be so it is impossible to plan ahead outside of work for personal endeavors. Time off works on seniority and "favourites". Winter season is a 50/50 gamble for layoffs or taking a leave of absence to seek other employment. The rules and deadlines change every year forcing decisions to be made sooner and difficulty securing employment before the seasonal switch occurs. Oh, and did I mention management had the audacity to fire an employee who was deceased for a week? The guy worked for the organisation
  more... for FOURTY YEARS and they fired him while he was dead, for not showing up to work even though they knew he was having health problems. I cannot use the inappropriate words I'd like to. Take the job and take anger management, you'll need it. I'm running out of room for more examples.  less
Pros
Pay
Cons
Everything else
Currently Employed here
ready mix operator (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC4 December 2018
Currently employed (20 years BC ready mix employee.)

Leigh pushes safety; when push comes to shove, safety will take a back seat over money. If you have any medical issues, this is not the company for you. Lehigh will go out of their way to release you of your duties or even prevent you from returning to work in the event of a medical incident. Area managers will overly use surveillance and use entrapment techniques on their employees.

As for work schedule, we are on call employees, senior employees will know the start time for the following day the night before. All employees, regardless of seniority, never know what time they will be off!

If you like attending functions for your kids or the ability to attend planned events after work, this is not the job for you. We are paid well with decent benefits; it does take a couple of years to start making a decent wage. That being said, the first 2 years are very difficult financially for new hires.

The managers will tell 'false truths.' This job would be great if it wasn't for lack of work life balance and the petty games our managers initiate.
Pros
wage with experience
Cons
not knowing your work start times or end times
Not very good
Driver/Operator (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 November 2018
Worked in Calgary for a long time.... seen many people come and go ...very poor morale mainly caused by inexperienced managers who think they are so superior then anybody else ... operation pretty much runs it self because there are still some very loyal and very hard working employees... and if you are a driver expect to be treated like a machine...when it is busy ( like most of the time) ... don’t even think about stopping for a break or even to use the bathroom...it’s go-go-go all the time..preaching safety all the time unless it’s a (special customer) .. and they just turn there backs or ignore any concerns! No reconition for a job well done or for being safe with no incedents
Pros
Let me think? Oh money
Cons
Lots
Terrible morale! Terrible management!!
Loader (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK17 October 2018
This place is a joke! Don't waste your time! Management is made up of complete idiots who know nothing of the industry! They will pick favorites and they don't follow OHS guidelines. Your lucky to find water on site. This company is a revolving door. They give zero notice of shift change! Anyone who works for this company will be miserable.
Pros
Cons
Management and shift work
good place to work
Comcrete Delivery Driver / Labor (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC24 September 2018
good place to work. Been there over 11 years until I lost my CDL. I worked at the Port of Portland plant and enjoyed my duties as a concrete delivery professional.
Not recommended
Driver (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB29 July 2018
Management terrible! Nobody cares unless you make a mistake. Money was fair, but more to life than money. Did I mention management was terrible. Very clicky, if your not in the click your not going to make it.
Pros
Money
Cons
Management, supervisor
bad place to work
mixer driver (Former Employee) –  olds ab26 June 2018
poor place to work ,bad management. worked six weeks come in from delivery said your no longer needed terminated immediatly no reasons other than made up lies. will be talking with labour board/lawyer.
Pros
pay check in bank on time
Cons
poor management no respect for older employee no breaks when busy
Stay away
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB10 June 2018
Worked for them for 12 years, 2 years in pipe production and 10 years as delevery driver (Winnipeg). Was a great place to work for when I started but as years past it got worst. Poor upper management and penny pinching. Very unorganized in the production department. Their main concern is production numbers over quality and they are strong on safety in some aspects but if safety slows down production they turn a blind eye to get the job done. Work as a delevery driver was great till they decided to park truck for 5 months and not telling me why they’ve decided to to park it. Turns out they figured sub contracting delivery trucks was the cheapest route and more cost effective for them. So after waiting 5 months in hope of getting back on the truck I’ve decided to end my career with them. Also come slow season you get last minute notice of a day or so for lay offs which usually is 2-5 months depending on the work during that time. For work environment I’d say 80 percent of plant employees hate working there but hard to leave cause of good pay and benifits and pension.
Pros
Benifits and pension
Cons
Penny pinching upper management, no communication or organization
Mixed
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 May 2018
Had been several years within the organization, and wouldn't advance me although I was qualified for the job. Work was consistent and busy environment.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
No room for growth
Supportive environment to work in
Mixer Driver (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC4 April 2018
So far it has been a great place to work, the people there are great and very helpful. The management team is wonderful. The people that you see everyday are the best around.
Pros
great pay
Cons
not enough work
good people to work with
Millwright at J.V. Driver (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 April 2018
It was a productive, safe learning experience working for J.V. Driver.
I was hoping the job would last longer but, it was done and I was proud of the finished project in the end.
Words about the job
Intern - Sales and Analysis (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 April 2018
These are words about the job. oh what a job. responsibility galore. benefits. right and freedoms. when the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie that's amore
Negative culture
current employee (Former Employee) –  Canada4 March 2018
lack of leadership and growing uncertainty are feeding a negative work environment. Reduction in head count has caused an increase of work load for many. Longer hours and weekend work is expected with no increase in pay. A constant reminder that we are all replaceable comes when anyone questions what is going on.
Pros
its a job
Cons
long hours, extra days of work, negative atmosphere
great place to be employed
Mixer truck operator 6 axle trailer,5 axle body (Current Employee) –  Acheson, AB2 March 2018
excellent group of people to work with from yard equipment operators to middle and upper management a fun way to learn new addresses and met new people the difficult part of the day is navigating rush hour traffic
Pros
co workers and benefits package
Cons
some very long days
Lots of bickering poorly managed.
Operator (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK20 February 2018
Managers make alot of threats to employees. Preach safety but not willing to spend $. Superintendant pins employees against each other. Equipment takes forever to get fixed. Often expected to work through breaks. No notice of shift changes or location changes. Wage is good.
Pros
Wage
Cons
Stress, poorly managed, impossible to plan personal life
Really god place to work, love to work there
Terminal operator (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB12 July 2017
a normal work day starts at 6am, perfect tim to start, then every day is different. We make sure we have all product avabile and plan are day form there. normal is no management present. we plan are day to day business are selfs. We get Management involved for bigger decisions.
We have a perfect shift schedule: 2 Days on 1 day off. Normal no weekend work. we work 12 hour shifts. so after 3 weeks we have an average of 40 hour a week.
I really like this job.
Pros
benefit, are shift schedule, abele to plan.
Cons
nothing
A great company, but you roll the dice with management
Administrative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 July 2017
Lehigh Hanson (and its related companies) is a great company to work for. The pay is fair, and the benefits and resources are stellar.

This being said, whichever manager you get can make or break your career, and there are really no remedies available unless you're a high-level employee. I have had both good managers and terrible managers within the same company, and the latter forced me to leave a company that I really liked. Unfortunately, I was stuck with an emotionally abusive manager who took their anger out on their employees, didn't really know how to teach/train effectively or accurately, and blamed instruction errors on their employees. They micromanaged, and you felt like you were constantly being watched, to the point where you have no room to actually work. Officially, there are ways to communicate this to the company (whether it be HR or other avenues), but I soon found out that multiple complaints from previous employees had been largely ignored by the company over the years.

In contrast, the managers I had before that were stellar, and fostered a positive work environment and really gave the company a good name. It's a shame that they value the work output of one manager over the employment, work quality and emotional health of countless other employees.
Pros
Pay and Benefits
Cons
More bad managers than good, Micromanaging and toxic work environment, high turnover rate resulting in constant training
Learning curve
JOURNEYMAN WELDER / J.V. DRIVER (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 June 2017
Great company to learn from. Co workers were easy to get along with. Safe environment to work in with absolutely no lost time incidents while i was on the project
Immature management
Millwright (Current Employee) –  Sechelt, BC25 April 2017
- Management has high expectations for working overtime on weekends, while not honoring banked time off request.
I've missed several important family events.

- Despite having two management staff, ordering parts, planning jobs is place directly on the millwrights taking away from their regular job duties
Pros
Abundance of overtime, good guys on the floor to work alongside with
Cons
long hours, too much overtime, isolated location, poor management
Great workplace that values experience and treats employees with respect???
Transit Mixer Driver (Former Employee) –  Lower Mainland, BC4 April 2017
Regional Operations Manager (Former Employee) – Vancouver, BC – 7 March 2017

Well defined strategy and DIRECTION PROVIDED by senior management. (Micromanaged)!!!

Pros

Strong management??... This is an understatement!!
______________________________________________________

Long story short is that this company is not managed very well. The pay and retirement are great if you last that long. Expect to be treated as sub-human everyday. If this is okay with you then this is the perfect company......If you have morals and expect to be treated fairly and as a team player, look for a job somewhere else.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Weak management with strongarm tactics

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lehigh Hanson. Our community is ready to answer.