Lehigh Hanson Employee Reviews

Not recommended
Driver (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB29 July 2018
Management terrible! Nobody cares unless you make a mistake. Money was fair, but more to life than money. Did I mention management was terrible. Very clicky, if your not in the click your not going to make it.
Pros
Money
Cons
Management, supervisor
bad place to work
mixer driver (Former Employee) –  olds ab26 June 2018
poor place to work ,bad management. worked six weeks come in from delivery said your no longer needed terminated immediatly no reasons other than made up lies. will be talking with labour board/lawyer.
Pros
pay check in bank on time
Cons
poor management no respect for older employee no breaks when busy
Stay away
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB10 June 2018
Worked for them for 12 years, 2 years in pipe production and 10 years as delevery driver (Winnipeg). Was a great place to work for when I started but as years past it got worst. Poor upper management and penny pinching. Very unorganized in the production department. Their main concern is production numbers over quality and they are strong on safety in some aspects but if safety slows down production they turn a blind eye to get the job done. Work as a delevery driver was great till they decided to park truck for 5 months and not telling me why they’ve decided to to park it. Turns out they figured sub contracting delivery trucks was the cheapest route and more cost effective for them. So after waiting 5 months in hope of getting back on the truck I’ve decided to end my career with them. Also come slow season you get last minute notice of a day or so for lay offs which usually is 2-5 months depending on the work during that time. For work environment I’d say 80 percent of plant employees hate working there but hard to leave cause of good pay and benifits and pension.
Pros
Benifits and pension
Cons
Penny pinching upper management, no communication or organization
Supportive environment to work in
Mixer Driver (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC4 April 2018
So far it has been a great place to work, the people there are great and very helpful. The management team is wonderful. The people that you see everyday are the best around.
Pros
great pay
Cons
not enough work
good people to work with
Millwright at J.V. Driver (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 April 2018
It was a productive, safe learning experience working for J.V. Driver.
I was hoping the job would last longer but, it was done and I was proud of the finished project in the end.
Words about the job
Intern - Sales and Analysis (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 April 2018
These are words about the job. oh what a job. responsibility galore. benefits. right and freedoms. when the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie that's amore
Negative culture
current employee (Former Employee) –  Canada4 March 2018
lack of leadership and growing uncertainty are feeding a negative work environment. Reduction in head count has caused an increase of work load for many. Longer hours and weekend work is expected with no increase in pay. A constant reminder that we are all replaceable comes when anyone questions what is going on.
Pros
its a job
Cons
long hours, extra days of work, negative atmosphere
great place to be employed
Mixer truck operator 6 axle trailer,5 axle body (Current Employee) –  Acheson, AB2 March 2018
excellent group of people to work with from yard equipment operators to middle and upper management a fun way to learn new addresses and met new people the difficult part of the day is navigating rush hour traffic
Pros
co workers and benefits package
Cons
some very long days
Lots of bickering poorly managed.
Operator (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK20 February 2018
Managers make alot of threats to employees. Preach safety but not willing to spend $. Superintendant pins employees against each other. Equipment takes forever to get fixed. Often expected to work through breaks. No notice of shift changes or location changes. Wage is good.
Pros
Wage
Cons
Stress, poorly managed, impossible to plan personal life
Really god place to work, love to work there
Terminal operator (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB12 July 2017
a normal work day starts at 6am, perfect tim to start, then every day is different. We make sure we have all product avabile and plan are day form there. normal is no management present. we plan are day to day business are selfs. We get Management involved for bigger decisions.
We have a perfect shift schedule: 2 Days on 1 day off. Normal no weekend work. we work 12 hour shifts. so after 3 weeks we have an average of 40 hour a week.
I really like this job.
Pros
benefit, are shift schedule, abele to plan.
Cons
nothing
A great company, but you roll the dice with management
Administrative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 July 2017
Lehigh Hanson (and its related companies) is a great company to work for. The pay is fair, and the benefits and resources are stellar.

This being said, whichever manager you get can make or break your career, and there are really no remedies available unless you're a high-level employee. I have had both good managers and terrible managers within the same company, and the latter forced me to leave a company that I really liked. Unfortunately, I was stuck with an emotionally abusive manager who took their anger out on their employees, didn't really know how to teach/train effectively or accurately, and blamed instruction errors on their employees. They micromanaged, and you felt like you were constantly being watched, to the point where you have no room to actually work. Officially, there are ways to communicate this to the company (whether it be HR or other avenues), but I soon found out that multiple complaints from previous employees had been largely ignored by the company over the years.

In contrast, the managers I had before that were stellar, and fostered a positive work environment and really gave the company a good name. It's a shame that they value the work output of one manager over the employment, work quality and emotional health of countless other employees.
Pros
Pay and Benefits
Cons
More bad managers than good, Micromanaging and toxic work environment, high turnover rate resulting in constant training
Learning curve
JOURNEYMAN WELDER / J.V. DRIVER (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 June 2017
Great company to learn from. Co workers were easy to get along with. Safe environment to work in with absolutely no lost time incidents while i was on the project
Immature management
Millwright (Current Employee) –  Sechelt, BC25 April 2017
- Management has high expectations for working overtime on weekends, while not honoring banked time off request.
I've missed several important family events.

- Despite having two management staff, ordering parts, planning jobs is place directly on the millwrights taking away from their regular job duties
Pros
Abundance of overtime, good guys on the floor to work alongside with
Cons
long hours, too much overtime, isolated location, poor management
Great workplace that values experience and treats employees with respect???
Transit Mixer Driver (Former Employee) –  Lower Mainland, BC4 April 2017
Regional Operations Manager (Former Employee) – Vancouver, BC – 7 March 2017

Well defined strategy and DIRECTION PROVIDED by senior management. (Micromanaged)!!!

Pros

Strong management??... This is an understatement!!
______________________________________________________

Long story short is that this company is not managed very well. The pay and retirement are great if you last that long. Expect to be treated as sub-human everyday. If this is okay with you then this is the perfect company......If you have morals and expect to be treated fairly and as a team player, look for a job somewhere else.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Weak management with strongarm tactics
Great workplace that values experience and treats employees with respect.
Regional Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC7 March 2017
Great environment for anyone looking for a challenge. Well defined strategy and direction provided by senior management.

Leader in the building materials industry.
Pros
Strong management
Cons
Silos
Morale is low because of poor management decision making.
Operator (Former Employee) –  Western Canada2 March 2017
I wouldnt recommend the company, too overly bloated with procedures. Management has poor people skills, making morale with workers very poor. Dont expect to make allot of money as promised, management will change minds constantly. Working harder not smarter applies here.
Pros
Good pension if you can make it that long.
Cons
Management is micromanaging, and unable to manage simple tasks because of it. Very unorganized, makes work harder for workers. Expect not to know what hours your working for the day.
Seventies Style Management. Good Benefits
Millwright (Former Employee) –  Calagary10 February 2017
Very poor Management. Looks like they are stuck in seventies. Micro Management. No money for machine repairs. No respect for older employees. No money for safety.
Salary and Benefits are good.
Pros
Good Benefits and Salary
Cons
Poor Managemant
Productive and focused workplace with a workout room on site
ISR / Dispatcher / Product Flow Controller (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 January 2017
Lehigh Hanson is firm in their family/work life balance. It is easy to build a sense of family with peers and drivers. This company also offers an extensive benefits package, with RRSP contributions matched. Speaking as a former employee, I would definitely re-apply for positions within this company.
Pros
Shorter work week
Cons
Lehigh Cement is a good place to work
Surface Mine Blaster (Current Employee) –  Cadomin, AB2 December 2016
The hours that you work is great, 4-10hr shifts, mon-thurs. The company unfortunately started a second shift, still 4-10s but now it is straight wed-sat. The three employees that are in that shift, never get a weekend off, unless you take a holiday day.
Pros
4 ten hour shifts.
Cons
Not steady work anymore, lay-offs more frequent
Lehigh Hanson/Customer Service
Inside Sales/Customer Service/Dispatch (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 November 2016
Customer service management is micromanaging, condescending and not good listeners. You do your job and leave, there is no room for advancement. It is very much a boys club.
Pros
N/a
Cons
everything mentioned above

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lehigh Hanson. Our community is ready to answer.