Lehigh Cement Employee Review

View all Lehigh Cement reviews

A great company, but you roll the dice with management
Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  Alberta16 June 2017
Lehigh Hanson (and its related companies) is a great company to work for. The pay is fair, and the benefits and resources are stellar. The company seems to promote from within, so if you're a good worker you have chances for advancement within the company.

This being said, whichever manager you get can make or break your career, and there are really no remedies available unless you're a high-level employee. I have had both good managers and terrible managers within the same company, and the latter forced me to leave a company that I really liked. Unfortunately, I was stuck with an emotionally abusive manager who took their anger out on their employees, didn't really know how to teach/train effectively or accurately, and blamed instruction errors on their employees. Officially, there are ways to communicate this to the company (whether it be HR or other avenues), but I soon found out that multiple complaints had been largely ignored by the company over the years.

In contrast, the managers I had before that were stellar, and fostered a positive work environment and really gave the company a good name. It's a shame that they value the work output of one manager over the employment, work quality and emotional health of countless others.
Pros
Great benefits, fair pay
Cons
Company ignores employee complaints

Other Lehigh Cement Employee Reviews

Fast paced, dynamic work place.
Production Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 April 2014
I have honed my skills significantly with regards to functioning effectively in a fast paced, fluid environment. My current position demands constant attention to detail to ensure an effective operation. The quick pace demands rapid, effective and accurate decisions.
Pros
stable employer, good pay, benefits and pension, fast paced work environment
Cons
Opportunity for advancement beyong current position are limited.
Good people to work with
Manager, Environment (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 November 2012
Assess plant site daily, and coordinate site visits and environmental assessments at other sites/facilities i am responsible for throughout western Canada. Keep a handle on pending regulations (Provincial and Federal) that could affect operations and work with various stakeholders and committees in providing feedback to regulators on amendments that could impact the cement industry.

Learned good troubleshooting skills for mechanical filtration equipment as well as sampling and procedural documentation methods.

Management is good, but struggles at times to be proactive and create strategic long-term outcomes.

Great co-workers and team within the organization.

Hardest part of the job is justifying proactive considerations for the cement plant as well as other sites (eg: potential benefits of alternative fuel use).

Most enjoyable part is the constant new challenges faced.