Legal Aid Ontario

Legal Aid Ontario Employee Reviews

Very busy, No work/life balance Subject to frequent provincial govt politics ie budget cuts, etc thus affecting opportunities for career advancement or leading to hiring freezes
Management's unchecked harassment and bullying is severe and pervasive enough that any reasonable person would consider LAO's culture and workplace environment to be intimidating and hostile, with abuse of power going unchecked if not being sought after and welcomed. Harassment and bullying go hand in hand and are seen as top traits for leadership roles and advancement, while HR only pays lip service to those mistreated.
Worked in a multi-disciplinary team and achieved management position with the office. Loved that part of the work. There was a definite disconnect of understanding between the offices, like our providing direct client service, and the higher levels of management that did not work directly with clients. Was a very demanding work environment. It also turned out to be a non-supportive one.
Legal Aid Ontario is an amazing place to work and your work makes a real difference to so many people in the province. Besides being some of the most educated people I've seen, their commitment to high standards for the employees as well as the clients they serve is outstanding. I am honored to have been able to work with them.
I hated it The managers are glorified babysitters My manager made my experience horrible they are not all the same. Salary was horrible did not match the job they expected you to do Training was stressful and terrible You felt like you were swimming with the sharks , never felt comfortable there. Job wise
Good environment with a good purpose. People are genuine and are passionate about the work they do. Good benefits, fair hours and salary. Would recommend.
People are nice here. No drama, no stress. People are respectful and professional. I have no complains. There's a good work-life balance as well. Benefits are good.
Interesting line of work. Pay could be higher for the amount of work required. Call centre environment, lovey coworkers. Supportive supervisors. Difficult to move up ranks.
Supervisors schedule the per diem lawyers for shifts. Boot lickers and butt kissers get the shifts that a long and pay decent money. They are not fair in giving assignments. The schedule their friends and favourites and give little or nothing to others. Everybody wants to make money but being fair doesn't compute with them.
Pros
Resume builder
Cons
Nepotism and discrimination.
This position was a part of my marks in school, this was where I did my internship. I was not paid for this position, I had a curiosity with the law, I wanted to learn as much as I would about the law, this is why I chose to do my internship with this particular agency.
Pros
I was able to fill my curiosity
Cons
it was like a revolving door with some of the accuse.
I worked as per-diem duty counsel for only a few months, picking up shifts in between full time jobs. The manager of the Duty Counsel office was really nice and I learned a lot working here.
Admin and management staff are treated well. Like most jobs in the civil service, however, there is little incentive to perform above the average. All lawyers have been unionized and receive the same pay based on year of call regardless of whether they do trials or not and regardless of their results in court. There is no point to learn how to do trials and most duty counsel have never done a trial and yet tell people whether they should plead guilty or not.
Pros
Stable job, interesting work
Cons
No incentives to advance
Helps balance work & life. Good benefits & vacation time. Great Learning opportunities. Early adoption to new technology. Moderate pace of work. My Number One employer so far...!!
Pros
Work LIfe balance, Vacation
Cons
Beaurocracy
It was challenging every day in a good way, the most difficult was to deal with unhappy clients. Most enjoyable working with such a great group of different but super nice colleagues.
Pros
An hour lunch
Cons
Contracts don't always lead to permanent positions
I love this job, great team, great hours and great benefits. There is nothing I wouldn't change in the company. Very accommodating and has a great benefits and support.
LAO's work culture was very toxic for those deemed to be out of sync with the culture. LAO also pays only lip service to persons with disabilities. Politics and bullying are unfortunately prevalent in this organization which has numerous silos competing with one another.
It's a lot of work, lots of stress, many over-time hours - but at the end of the day, it's rewarding and the work environment is unbeatable. The pay isn't as great as it should be considering the significant impact that the work of this company has on so many members of society... and that's the most unfortunate part, I'd say
Be warned that legal clinics are Not the same as Legal Aid Ontario. The community legal clinic of York region has a terrible terrible retention rate. The working environment is toxic. The director is never around. The office is run by incompetent lawyers who consider themselves to be all mighty professionals. The fact is these people are not governed by anyone but themselves. Don't get suck into this black hole. Luckily my contract ended. Stay away.
all you got to do is deal with clients and as interpreter and sight translator. you take a break and chill, the place is well managed and very clean. stuffs are respectful.
Pros
good payment
Cons
less hours
Loved every boss in every department. Floated around assisting a variety of managers on the same floor. Mailroom, Registration, Data Entry, Filing. Professional with personal interest.
The work at LAO is very meaningful. The people there take pride in what they do and work well together as a unit. There are solid plans in place to ensure our success, but we are not afraid to update and progress with the times as well.
Pros
So much to do all the time
Cons
not enough employees
  1. Employee reviews