Legal Aid Ontario Employee Reviews

A top employer and social cause
IT Consultant/Web Developer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 October 2019
Legal Aid Ontario is an amazing place to work and your work makes a real difference to so many people in the province. Besides being some of the most educated people I've seen, their commitment to high standards for the employees as well as the clients they serve is outstanding. I am honored to have been able to work with them.
My experience was terrible
Client Service specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 September 2019
I hated it
The managers are glorified babysitters
My manager made my experience horrible they are not all the same.
Salary was horrible did not match the job they expected you to do
Training was stressful and terrible
You felt like you were swimming with the sharks , never felt comfortable there.
Job wise
Good environment
Statistician, Business Intelligence & Statistics (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 September 2019
People are nice here. No drama, no stress. People are respectful and professional. I have no complains. There's a good work-life balance as well. Benefits are good.
Interesting line of work
Client Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 August 2019
Interesting line of work. Pay could be higher for the amount of work required. Call centre environment, lovey coworkers. Supportive supervisors. Difficult to move up ranks.
Unfair
per diem (Current Employee) –  Toronto8 June 2019
Supervisors schedule the per diem lawyers for shifts.
Boot lickers and butt kissers get the shifts that a long and pay decent money.
They are not fair in giving assignments. The schedule their friends and favourites and give little or nothing to others. Everybody wants to make money but being fair doesn't compute with them.
Pros
Resume builder
Cons
Nepotism and discrimination.
this was an internship
Community Liaison Worker (Placement) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 January 2019
This position was a part of my marks in school, this was where I did my internship. I was not paid for this position, I had a curiosity with the law, I wanted to learn as much as I would about the law, this is why I chose to do my internship with this particular agency.
Pros
I was able to fill my curiosity
Cons
it was like a revolving door with some of the accuse.
short term
Per-Diem Duty Counsel (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 January 2019
I worked as per-diem duty counsel for only a few months, picking up shifts in between full time jobs. The manager of the Duty Counsel office was really nice and I learned a lot working here.
No incentives but stable
Senior Litigator (Current Employee) –  Newmarket, ON5 November 2018
Admin and management staff are treated well. Like most jobs in the civil service, however, there is little incentive to perform above the average.

All lawyers have been unionized and receive the same pay based on year of call regardless of whether they do trials or not and regardless of their results in court. There is no point to learn how to do trials and most duty counsel have never done a trial and yet tell people whether they should plead guilty or not.
Pros
Stable job, interesting work
Cons
No incentives to advance
Awesome Place, an employer to keep for life !!
Corporate Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 October 2018
Helps balance work & life.
Good benefits & vacation time.
Great Learning opportunities.
Early adoption to new technology.
Moderate pace of work.
My Number One employer so far...!!
Pros
Work LIfe balance, Vacation
Cons
Beaurocracy
Good diversity and really enjoyable place to work
Regional Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON2 October 2018
It was challenging every day in a good way, the most difficult was to deal with unhappy clients. Most enjoyable working with such a great group of different but super nice colleagues.
Pros
An hour lunch
Cons
Contracts don't always lead to permanent positions
Amazing
Bilingual Client Specialist (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 September 2018
I love this job, great team, great hours and great benefits. There is nothing I wouldn't change in the company. Very accommodating and has a great benefits and support.
Racially discriminatory workplace / Bullying
Staff Lawyer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 September 2018
LAO's work culture was very toxic for those deemed to be out of sync with the culture. LAO also pays only lip service to persons with disabilities. Politics and bullying are unfortunately prevalent in this organization which has numerous silos competing with one another.
Great place
Legal Worker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 September 2018
It's a lot of work, lots of stress, many over-time hours - but at the end of the day, it's rewarding and the work environment is unbeatable. The pay isn't as great as it should be considering the significant impact that the work of this company has on so many members of society... and that's the most unfortunate part, I'd say
Legal clinic is not Legal Aid I
Lawyer (Former Employee) –  York, ON26 February 2018
Be warned that legal clinics are Not the same as Legal Aid Ontario. The community legal clinic of York region has a terrible terrible retention rate. The working environment is toxic. The director is never around. The office is run by incompetent lawyers who consider themselves to be all mighty professionals. The fact is these people are not governed by anyone but themselves. Don't get suck into this black hole. Luckily my contract ended. Stay away.
fun place to work
Translator / Interpreter (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 July 2017
all you got to do is deal with clients and as interpreter and sight translator. you take a break and chill, the place is well managed and very clean. stuffs are respectful.
Pros
good payment
Cons
less hours
Loved Legal Aid
Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 July 2017
Loved every boss in every department. Floated around assisting a variety of managers on the same floor. Mailroom, Registration, Data Entry, Filing. Professional with personal interest.
Wonderful place
Communications Advisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 November 2016
The work at LAO is very meaningful. The people there take pride in what they do and work well together as a unit. There are solid plans in place to ensure our success, but we are not afraid to update and progress with the times as well.
Pros
So much to do all the time
Cons
not enough employees
NO comment
District Triage Officer (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON1 November 2016
I really do not appreciate writing a review to be able to post my resume for review. This is not the place nor the location to do this. I am uncomfortable doing this.
Pros
Nothing to say
Cons
Nothing to say
Excellent place to work
Articling Student (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 June 2015
Excellent place to work. People are friendly, and dedicated to the organization's mission and to ensuring a job well done.
Excellent place to work and grow.
IT Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 March 2014
A typical day at work is busy with meetings, agenda preparations, Meeting minute distribution, Sponsor updates, team meetings etc.

I have learned a lot at my present company as I am working here for the past 15 years and grown a lot in my career and gained valuable experience.

Management is excellent but frequesnt changes occurs due to promotions and exits.

My co-workers are superb resources with excellent technogy expertise. They simply make everything possible and make my job so easy to manage.

I have not seen much of the hardest part yet but I face some resource contention on some projects which creates some slight acceptable delays.

My colleagues and also the challenges I face while I deliver successful projects.