Legal Aid BC Employee Reviews

Canada8 reviews

It’s a job.

What is the best part of working at the company?The best part of this job is/was working alone for legal aid in an rented office space/setting which allowed for organizing the work space and schedule as per my vision of it but within the needs of the job.What is the most stressful part about working at the company?Working alone. It can be difficult at times to reach head office to get direction. It can be difficult at times to not have a coworker in office to be able to debrief after some encounters with clients having a heavy case load. What is the work environment and culture like at the company?Ok is all I can say. I think if you’re working for Head Office it might be better but in my case I was working for a lawyer who had the contract and it made it just… okYou can at times work remotely which was really great for me. What is a typical day like for you at the company?Takes messages from the weekend. Return calls. Make appointments for applications. Meet with walk-in clients. Financially and legally assess clients eligibility. Find lawyers to take on approved clients. Go to court for in person services once a week.

Great workplace

If you are looking for work-life balance, Legal Aid BC clearly lives up to that. You are not expected to check your emails after work and it is even discouraged to do that. You are encouraged to take regular breaks and time offs. It is also flexible and everyone is professional and friendly based on my experience in our department. Everyone is working closely together to achieve common goals. When you make a mistake, the focus is how to correct the mistake and not who made the mistake. I hope I can grow my career here. I look forward to many more learnings and development for myself and the team.

Pros

Flexibility

Cons

I would prefer not to say

Organized and Good work life balance

Unionized workplace with generous vacation days and stat holidays as well as sick days, extended health benefits and $200 per year for health and wellness

Good for building upon experience and entry-level applicants

Workplace is unionized and has proactive HR. Opportunities to apply internally to different jobs. Has good access to professional development opportunities. Benefits include pension, extended health, wellness funds and team building activities.

Organization and management are wonderful. Low salary

Management is wonderful and extremely supportive and encouraging. Other employees are also amazing to work with and there appears to be no workplace drama. However, the salary is low given the amount of experience they expect. It is not up to industry standards. Intake workers screen clients that are "low income", but the intake worker salary is significantly less than the "low income" determined by the organization. It is a bit offensive. This job also requires thick skin as clients are usually very abusive. The organization itself is wonderful, but there are some downsides depending on the role you are in. Benefits are good.

Pros

Supportive management and great employees. Good benefits.

Cons

Low pay

Insights into Legal Aid BC

What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Supportive environment
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Trust in colleagues

Great people who truly care about their team and clients

I was fortunate enough to have a Managing Lawyer who is a great coach. No pressure but we get the job done correctly. Professional upper management and a great culture in the organization.

Pros

great benefits, friendly management, lots of training and support

Cons

Covid has caused remote work also back and forth with working on site or at home.

Toxic corporate environment with no regard for clients

Most head office staff have no experience working in a legal aid office and treat legal aid clients with contempt. Morale is low with lots of backstabbing.

Pros

Union wages

Cons

Toxic culture, long hours

Good company to work for

good team and very good benefits. The stress level is totally manageble, the managers are ok. Work culture and enviroment like any other unionized entity

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Legal Aid BC. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.7 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement