Legal Aid Alberta

Legal Aid Alberta Employee Reviews

Canada13 reviews
No consideration of employee stress
Changes always ongoing, and always happen fast without letting staff know. Live in fear of what is coming tomorrow because they never tell us anything until the end.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Super stressful, long hours
Legal Aid
If all you care about are good hours then this is the job for you. It’s a horrible work culture. If I could give them negative on the star rating I would. They change things with no consult to the people that actually do the job. They treat their call centre agents horrendously. They have zero change management and really it’s like a bunch of toddlers run the place. I would not recommend this place. I made it 2 years and can’t wait to get out.
Quota conscious call centre not a caring Non-Profit
Clients are seen as just numbers by a lot of front-line staff (LSO's) and Management. The place is run more like a call centre with quotas. The margin of error is great because of it. LSO's who genuinely try their best for clients are not valued and in fact, are pushed out. It's a very hostile environment to work in. Little legal background, if any, is required and the service suffers for it.
Pros
Good pay for little qualifications
Cons
Hostile environment and work culture. Little job security.
Fellow employees are very friendly
I am not happy that this is a required category in order to proceed with applying for jobs through this website. I am choosing not to write this review.
Interesting position
Intake and assessing applicant legal needs. Collection of basic demographic information and details of legal matter. Appropriate and meaningful services provided to eligible applicants.
Great team to work with
Loved my job at Legal Aid and the people I worked with. Great leadership. Helping serve clients that need support is extremely satisfying. Learned so much working there.
Worst Place on the Planet to Work
Do not apply for this job. They are horrible. A lot of work for very little pay. TERRIBLE management. TERRIBLE work culture. I can't believe anyone would have provided a good review for this place. It was "H" ON EARTH. TERRIBLE PAY. Why on earth would you work here?
A great place to work
Legal Aid Alberta is a really great place to work. Competent and experienced co-workers who believe strongly in collaboration and are passionate about the work they do.

Organizational changes over the last two years have created a better culture here at Legal Aid Alberta, and with that a new vision for how to improve how the organization operates.

This is an innovative place to work where new ideas are welcomed and encouraged. There is opportunity for advancement if you work hard, and show your value to improving the company overall.

I would recommend working here to anyone.
Pros
Vision for the future, collaboration, teamwork, trusted in your role
Cons
n/a
If you just want a paycheque
Good hours and fair working conditions. Excellent salary for the skill set required. Management was out of touch with job requirements and staff were generally unhappy while I was there because there was a transition in their job requirements.

Overall it's fine if you want to be an office drone for life. Challenging if you want to grow in your career though as they offer no skills training and extremely little chance of advancement.
Pros
good pay
Cons
no additional training
Unhealthy
There are some really passionate and caring people who work there. Front line staff is mostly good, management is less desirable to work with. Lack of diversity regarding staff and talent.
Friendly, fast paced office
Great office, wonderful managers, friendly and helpful co-workers. Lawyers are fantastic to work with and clients are people who truly need the assistance.
Great Project Team
Challenging business but great impact to society. Subject Matter Experts understand the software development life cycle and support the development team ideas.
Challenging and overall great place to work.
A typical days includes talking to client, assessing their financial eligibility and providing services that are most beneficial to the client while following rules and policies of legal aid.
Pros
Earned days off
Cons
Diverse range of clients
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Legal Aid Alberta. Our community is ready to answer.
2.9