Lee Valley Tools Employee Reviews

Good place to get experience and make some good money
Warehouse Picker (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON18 June 2018
40 hours a week, with two 15 minute breaks and a half hour lunch.

Training is good and full time employees are very helpful. Management for the warehouse is very good and they will often help out when the orders get backed up or on very busy days.

The cafeteria is really great, lots of breakfast options and great lunch specials.

If you do well on the warehouse floor, you may be offered other opportunities within the company.
Pros
Great cafeteria and good working conditions
Cons
Can be physically demanding
nice place to work
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 April 2018
The employees and staff are very knowledgable and very kind to each other. I’ve worked closely with their team over the past summer and early this spring and my overall experience has been a positive one. As a student they provide flexible hours and they have adequate training for their new employees.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
n/a
Great personel
Toolroom Machinist (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON4 February 2018
Always a good work-life balance. The everyday work was fairly easy with at times challenges were thrown into the mix to keep everything very interesting
Pros
Awesome co-workers in all dept.
Cons
Some politics
Fun place to work, IF your a retiree that already has a pension
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC24 January 2018
For the required job knowledge the pay is substandard for part time employees which the company highly relies on. Also not allowing vacation days in May and December does make vacation planning with a spouse rather troublesome.

However it is a fun place to work and very low stress. You can work from 4 hours a week to 40 if you want, management is very flexible about that.
Pros
fun and flexible hours
Cons
Pay, no benefits for part time employees
Machine Shop
CNC Operator (Former Employee) –  Ottawa West, ON15 December 2017
Do Not work at their machine shop. It's absolutely horrible. Manager's are brutal. Full of back stabbers jockeying to keep in good with managers. Pay is very low.
Pros
Cons
Disorganized bad management. Extremely low pay
Fun workspace and safest job place
CNC setup/operator (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON10 October 2017
Good place to work as a starter. Really cool product designed and machined. Enjoyed working in the environment. Everyday is new job to work on. Management is nice. I learned basic to almost pro skills at this place.
Management has changed
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 June 2017
I've worked here for years and the corporate environment has changed considerably. Less fun and more stress. No more Christmas party and fewer incentives to stay long term
Pros
Casual dress code
Cons
Runs too lean
Productive and fun work environment
Inventory Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bayers Lake, NS5 April 2017
I only worked for one day, but it was very enjoyable. The people assisting were very friendly and easy to work with. The day moved very quickly. The instructions were quick and easy to understand.
once great company that lost sight of what made them great
CUSTOMER ADVISOR (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 March 2017
Forgot who their target audience is. Lost focus on what made them different. No longer trust their staff. Too much effort chasing sales that while they maybe high profit are putting off the people who are their core customers and indeed the core of their staff.
Customer Service/Sales (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 January 2017
Busy workplace was fulfilling

Innovative products and marketing

Everyday was a learning curve

Some policies outdated
Pros
Na
Cons
Na
Productive workplace, fun
Stock keeper (Former Employee) –  Ottawa West, ON3 January 2017
I registered mechandise
put them away
cleaned the warehouse
I learned how to use an rf gun
my co-workers were warm, genuine and supportive
the hardest part of the job was finishing on time
the most enjoyable part of the job was the cafeteria and the co-workers
Pros
hours, genuine staff
Cons
Demanding
Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Ottawa West, ON31 December 2016
I enjoyed learning many aspects of the warehouse position that I was hired for during their busy season. From order picking to the shipping department.
Great place to learn about gardening and tools.
Store Customer Advisor (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON21 June 2016
Lee Valley really has great quality products and provides top of the line customer service! I enjoyed working within such a great team!
Pros
30% discount
Cons
sporadic hours on weekly schedule
Pleasant workplace, quality and useful products
Order Picker (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON6 June 2016
Very interesting and numerous gardening and woodworking products plus vast amounts (3000+) of other items (for renovations/innovations) which makes for interesting order-picking on any given day. No two orders are the same which makes for interesting hours of order picking. Orders may be selected in various ways (Voice Command, RF Scanner, loose/directly), but it's a very busy environment.
Training is provided and supervisors are very personable. The company's culture on the warehouse floor is easily seen- a fast paced environment for the astute worker.
Co-workers are helpful, friendly and many are from various other countries before making Canada their home- makes for interesting conversations too. Equal Employment Opportunity lives here!
As with most warehouses, long hours walking and standing in steel-toes while moving often heavily laden carts may take a toll esp. on feet. Yet, depending on the office assigned, there are cool therapeutic spots to really take the load off at break times.
This company provides affordably priced hot lunches every day (optional, since many will still take their own lunches and snacks) and has one of the largest accommodating canteen/lunchroom.
Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Ottawa East, ON16 May 2016
i did enjoyed my time working there. the experience was awesome and the staffs were welcoming. i learnt alot about gardening tool and work ethics.
A great place to work with great benefits but minimal wage rate
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Stittsville, ON17 March 2016
Lee Valley Tools Ltd. is a great place to work in my opinion. Since the first day, I never had a problem with the job I do. The work done in the packaging department is fairly easy to understand and not confusing. Everyday, the routine work consist of signing in at 7am, picking up a work order to start the job then once it's done, the process repeats itself again until every work order in the list are done. The amount of jobs to do in a day is determined by the supervisor. This is based on which job is a priority and not. Sometimes a big job arises in which a group of workers are assigned (by a supervisor) to form together to get the job done on time. This is probably the most exciting and enjoyable part of the job, The workers in the packaging department are kind and helpful as well. They help one other when a problem occurs. The only hardest part in Packaging work is the task of lifting slightly heavy boxes to be placed on a wooden skid. Since lifting is part of the job, workers just have to take the necessary precautions to avoid injuries. I also find the management team so helpful and caring too. They're the ones that introduced the Work Improvement Plan which is basically a form that ask us about our opinions and suggestions to improve and simplify the way we do our work. And just before the end of the day, a minor clean up of the work area is done to make sure the place is clean the following day.
Pros
Free Barbecues 3 times during summer months
Cons
No chance for position advancement, low wage increase or sometimes no increase
productive and fast paced
Warehouse worker (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON4 March 2016
busy all the time always something to do,I learned how to time managed better. Meet alot of nice people working at Lee Valley.I overall really enjoyed my contract working with this company.
Want to learn a lot about wood working and garden care, this is the place!
Store Customer Advisor (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON12 January 2016
Great and fun, yet very busy place to work over the holidays as a seasonal employee. You never get bored. They always have something to do for you there.
Pros
You can buy food in the lunch room.
Customer service geared
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Victoria BC8 September 2015
Enjoyed working with all the associates and learned a lot about woodworking and gardening. I instructed seminars on Pyrography as well as attended many wood carving seminars.
Great people and products; low pay
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 February 2015
Lee Valley has a great work atmosphere- lots of teamwork. Also some really good and interesting people. Lots of opportunity to learn and gain skills. The low pay is really the biggest drawback- so a good place to work if you're retired or just starting out.
Pros
Comraderie, positive atmosphere, learning opportunities.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lee Valley Tools. Our community is ready to answer.

Lee Valley Tools Reviews by Location