Lee Valley Tools

Lee Valley Tools Employee Reviews

Canada53 reviews
People that you work with are great
Good work culture, great manager. Too bad pay is so low. Many decisions are made at corporate level so they don't always make the right calls. They expect alot out of you but don't have the ability to pay you for what you are worth.
Low pay, bad attitude ,
It seems they have it all backwards.. If your a efficient and fast worker, and complete your assignments. You get rewarded by being handed a broom to sweep the floors for the time remaining . crazy . Horrible place to work . I personally don't recommend my worse enemy to work there.
Complex yet enjoyable
If one is unused to working in a warehouse setting than Lee Valley can be a little overwhelming but fortunately that warehouse is very well organized. One also has to acclimate to receiving instructions and orders from a digital device but thankfully the device in question is fairly simple to customize. The job itself is fairly straightforward but while preforming it mapping out ones general location as well as where certain sizes and classes of items are is something I highly recommend. If nothing else one should listen closely to what ones digital director is saying and wear comfortable but durable footwear as some of the stuff in that warehouse can cause nasty injuries if dropped on ones feet
Great Working Environment
Lee Valley is a great place to work. Everyone is super nice and willing to help you with any thing. I was able to learn a lot of marketing techniques and strategies at my time at Lee Valley that will serve useful in my near future.
Very warm and colleagial
Lee Valley Tools was a great experience. They are an employee friendly company with a strong family culture. Decent benefits and good work environment.
Pros
Company communicted very well through periodic Town Halls and corprate e-mails.
Cons
Retail environment, pay was barely adequate.
Veritas Machine Shop
Real Workers Leave. People with no work ethics or drive stay. Management is non existent. They still do processes as if it was 1990. I have never in my life seen such a disfunctional company. It is just a matter of time before they are bankrupt.
Dead End - Retiree Job
This is a minimum wage retail job. Most employees are part time and receive less than 20 hours per week. While specialized expertise in various fields (fine woodworking, carving, turning, specialty hardware, gardening, horticulture, etc.) is required to appropriately advise customers, they are not willing to pay even 1/2 fair market wages.

For some jobs they require safety shoes claiming to reimburse 50% up to $75 dollars per year. After more than four years and three such purchases, I have yet to receive a single reimbursement though I dutifully filed every time.

They offer no opportunity for growth or advancement. Advancement positions are consistently filled by outside hires with little to no background in any area of the store's specialized focus. Instead, Lee Valley depends upon their highly underpaid part-time employees to educate the leadership in the basic fundamentals of the store's primary areas of focus.

Management above the individual is totally unresponsive to suggestions and concerns of employees or customers. I have submitted a great many requests for clarification, corrections to factually wrong directions, and concerns over multiple, easily and inexpensively, fixed safety issues without a single response. When I asked both my store and regional managers about this they agreed that feedback should be provided, but never bothered to provide any. In short, the leadership at the top has set up a culture of "Don't question and be happy. You are lucky to have a job." When applied to specialty shops such as Lee Valley, this has always resulted
 - more...
Pros
30% employ discont (3 times the averageof 10%) on most products.
Cons
Under paid, few and irregular hours, no realistic chance for advancement.
Poor salary
Job is good but poor salary. They pay 14 dollars per hour in warehouse and you work on every warehouse position. But the supervisors are not bad. They also pay on time, that's good.
good place to learn
during my employment at lee valley tools i found that there was lots of support from other employees to help with day to day activities.
the staff were the reason i stayed for 26 years
Death in the family
My father had just passed away, and although I got bereavement pay and time off, i did not handle it well, and the management did not seem to have any compassion. One of the managements mother passed away and that was more important.
Productive and a fun work place much like a family run business.
Working at Lee Valley is like working with a big family. Everyone is there to help you if in need, and teach you as well, and I'm talking both staff and management. If your skill is woodworking or crafting then you have the opportunity to plan and teach a seminar on your craft. I work part-time by choice. and when I'm called upon to teach a seminar I look forward to it. Everyone that works there is there to work yet have fun doing it. The customers appreciate the atmosphere and so does the staff.
Awesome atmosphere and management!
Great experience and opportunity to learn so much. Definitely has been one of my favourite shops to work in. Excellent management team.
Cons
Shift work
Manager is a lunitic
The store manager is one of the most I'll focused, delusional , manic bullies I've ever worked for. Company as a whole doesn't know what direction they want to go in, customer service sub par.
People are terrific - upper management sub-par
Lee Valley Tools has very poor upper management and stagnant wages. Warehouse workers are not paid fairly for their experience or duties or skills. There is not a lot of room for advancement and they have admitted to hiring more outside workers than from within the company. The benefits package is decent and there is a pension plan.
Pros
No weekend hours. Great people.
Cons
Poor management, Low wages, Patriarchal attitude towards employees, Not a lot of opportunity for advancement
old style workplace with no development except some machinery
Job security is good but poor management in terms of employee preference and machine shop environment. they need the work get done no matter what. No recognition for hard work.
Pros
free lunch, over time
Cons
poor air quality, management show lot of negligence towards employees
Ofice assistant position is only 1% in the office. The remaining time you are waiting on customers.Poor management at the Halifax NS store
Former Office Assistant left no details of the daily routine or tasks. Managers did not know how most office tasks were done. So it was learn by trial and error or asking head office but with only an hour to get your office work done it was difficult to do. After that you have to be on the retail floor waiting on customers, picking their orders and ringing them in. If no customers then you are to stay on the floor and clean or stock shelves etc. Too many staff have access to the safe and doing the cash report. Too easy for money to go missing, which it did. Management wanted to hide these from head office.
Managers unprofessional and want you to be close like their sisters. They also change their minds frequently on what you and staff should be doing. So very confusing. They throw it in your face that you make more thsn other staff and they expect to get their monies worth. One day you are getting praused and then if something goes wrong then it is your fault. Even if it was a managers job. So be prepatef to ride her mental rollercoaster.

The only good thing was the other staff. Most were very nive and helpful and were upset and confused as to why i left
Pros
Customer advisor staff and customers
Cons
Low stress job with overall well-run warehouse department
An overall decent place to work, however there were limited opportunities for growth. I worked there for quite a while as a temp worker before they company decided to let everyone go that was brought on. During the time I was there, I was consistently laid off and brought back when they would have their business pick up.
A customer service driven role with ability to learn useful skills
It is a constructive environment that can be extremely challenging at seasonal times. The company is quite accommodating and offers a constant learning curve for those willing to take advantage of it. It is diverse with a wide range of job skills that can be brought to the job from any line of work.
Pros
Excellent customer and employee base
Cons
on your feet all day
in store is good but corporate bosses offer poor/zero support
Used to be a great place to work but change in corporate last year changed that. Corporate used to be supportive and respectful, now everyone seems intimidated and afraid of new corporate leader. Now nothing happens until the last minute, if at all. No one else will make a decision. People who aren't tight with the new boss or her clique, have left the company, one way or another. Many good people who historically were happy, helpful and supportive of the retail stores have left.

Very sad to watch this happen to a company built by a great man, a great leader, who passed away before this new regime really took over. When I originally started working here, I felt like I won a prize, it truly was a great place to work.

Store management was always stressed and frustrated with their hands tied- waiting for direction. We all took good care of customers regardless of anything else, this will never change. Managers do the best they can for the store team. So many last minute demands from corporate make it stressful for support workers who do the lions share of the physical work in really short time lines.

If it wasn't for my coworkers, I'd have left last year.
Pros
store team consists of friendly, fantastic knowledgeable people who love to help/teach.
Cons
last minute decisions including 3 days notice about opening/working on Canada day this year.
best job i ever had
one of the best places to work for, very flexible hours, friendly co-workers and management, manager always looking out for everyone. a family oriented environment.
Pros
surrounded by good people
Cons
Great local management, upper corporate stinks
Great local branch management, VP lies. Enjoyed customers, co-workers, and all aspects of the job. Corporate management needs to give it's head a shake.
Pros
solving customer's problems
Cons
dealing with upper management
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lee Valley Tools. Our community is ready to answer.
2.8