LEARNstyle Ltd Employee Reviews

Perfect place to start off as a new teacher
Technology Coach (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 April 2019
I have worked with this company for the past three years, and have enjoyed every day of it. It has helped prepare me for the classroom, and build an incredible network within the Halton District School Board.
Honest review - some good (rewarding), some not (compensation sucks)
Technology Coach (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 February 2019
There are things that I absolutely love about working for LEARNstyle. I love the hours working within the school system, I love my Manager, I love helping students learn and be successful, I love the work/life balance, the company culture and I love their model of building relationships with the students. What I don't love is the pay. There are no benefits and it's doubtful that there ever will be. Only salaried staff get sick days and job/pay stability as they can work from home or go to the office but for everyone else...see below:

You get paid $200/day, however, this is based on seeing 6 students per day/4 if in High School. If you end up seeing less than this, then you lose pay, unless you can find replacements, which isn't always easy. During the winter, when there are bus cancellations, you don't work and therefore lose pay for that day, even though you're ready, willing and able to work. If you are sick, not only do you not get paid, but you are made to feel guilty about it because apparently, it's more important to fulfill the commitment to the Boards. Direct Managers understand this but upper management fails to recognize this and it sounds like money will always be an issue because of this lack of understanding for their front line employees. You get to go on EI for Winter break and summer break but be prepared to wait a while to get that money. You also do not get paid for PA days (so at least once/month) and you will not receive any compensation for March Break. You do not get paid for mileage and even though I was told that I would be kept in my area,
  more... I end up travelling more than when I had a full-time job that was 40 minutes away from home. And don't expect to get a raise.

There is some Professional Development and company socials which are all planned and paid for by the company but you're expected to travel to their head office and you do not get paid for this travel (if you live outside of the GTA, this sucks). Actual training on the technology is non-existent. There are some programs that we have no access to, (because the company won't pay for it), but you are expected to learn it anyway, on your own time. Good luck with that!

There is very little room for advancement, so this is not a good job if you are looking for professional growth. I'm not saying you won't learn anything but you can become stagnant very quickly as the work is very repetitive. There is a huge turnover rate with their frontline staff (Technology Coach) which is likely due to all of the factors listed above but Management doesn't seem to budge on any of these issues. Their HR department is a joke and very amateurish, so don't expect much help there.

There is very little support in the field. Managers and Associate Managers are spread thin and have a huge work-load but there can be great support from team members. Expect to work with challenging children and challenging situations but also expect to be greatly rewarded when you see how much you've helped them. Expect to work with teachers/SERTS who are unkind but also to work with ones who are amazing. If you want a true team environment, this is not the job for you as you mostly work on your own. If money isn't an issue then this could very well be your dream job!
Pros
work/life balance, short hours, helping children
Cons
Compensation, support, job advancement, lots of travel
Official response from LEARNstyle Ltd
26 February 2019

Thank you for your feedback and information. We would like to provide you with an opportunity to meet with the overall management team, and/or Human Resources in order to address your feedback, update you on already planned items for this year that address some of the feedback above, and to ensure to clear up any inaccuracies.

Great ideas, poor execution
Technology Coach (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 February 2019
I enjoyed working for LearnStyle as a Technology Coach, and it was generally a great experience! The work that they do really does enhance the education system and can be life-changing for the students they serve. The CEO and exec team is friendly and approachable, and the overall culture is friendly and learning-positive. Unfortunately, it seems that there are some serious gaps in their people-management and compensation (low, disproportionate pay, no benefits for full-time employees, low/no actual advancement, and disconnected upper management). If you want a job that fills the gaps it is great, otherwise look elsewhere for benefits and professional development.
Pros
Great people and impactful vision
Cons
Compensation structure, no advancement
Awful company - Not much training, organization is in disarray
Technology educator (Former Employee) –  Ontario11 September 2018
Working here is an absolute drag, they send you hours away from the city to go to a school that is not expecting you nor has the resources to teach.

The software is finicky, outdated and a one size fits all model.

The head office is a mess with infighting between managers and I've witnessed are unprofessional and layers of bureaucracy.

Pay is 200 per day and it doesn't include gas or breaks and after tax is significantly less. "Part time" is at least 2 full time days a week, which isn't ideal if you teach at a school.

The interview process is full of red tape and a waste of time. Run far far away from them.
Pros
you get paid on time
Cons
outdated software, unfair contracts, they prey on teachers who cant a school board job
Awesome company!!
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 August 2018
A highly organized and very motivated staff!!
Great support provided to new staff and a very enthusiastic, friendly bunch to work with and grow!! Awesome, important work being done at this highly respected organization!!
Pros
Life long learning
Cons
may need to drive a bit to destinations
Rewarding and Positive Climate
Technology Consultant (Current Employee) –  Orangeville, ON28 February 2017
At LEARNstyle Ltd. I have been given the opportunity to change the lives of many students much earlier in my life than I thought. LEARNstyle has altered the way I look at the education technology and has provided me with a new career path I did not originally think of. I am always treated with respect by the LEARNstyle team and everybody loves to hear new ideas and suggestions. The management is not typical management because they are extremely approachable and want to hear your ideas and thoughts for the company. My typical day is preparing for my student(s)' sessions, arriving at my appointed school and training the students either in or outside the classroom. I will also need to fill out my training reports online for all my students. I need to have excellent communication skills when speaking to parents, staff and other adults associated with my students. If you are looking for a great Job Work/Life Balance this is a great opportunity as you will find time to spend at home without a heavy workload to carry with you. The hardest part about this job is preparing for the unexpected. By this I mean you will meet many different students with many different abilities and you will need to be able to plan accordingly for these situations. Learning about education technology is one of my passions as well as assisting students, and LEARNstyle has and will continue to provide me with this opportunity.
Pros
Excellent professional development. Great work/life balance. Great management team.
Cons
None at this time.
A supportive work environment with an energetic management team.
Technology Consultant (Current Employee) –  Wellington, Dufferin, Gueph25 February 2017
I have been with LEARNstyle for nearly 2 years. The management is supportive and the work culture is positive. Management have either worked, or continue to work, in the field and understand the realities of fieldwork. This company values the power of relationships and that makes the direct time in working with students very special and rewarding. The work can be fast paced and demands flexibility. While the management is supportive, an ability to work independently and problem-solve is a must. Glad to be a part of this company!
Pros
A work schedule that follows the school schedule, which is a huge plus if you're looking for family-work life balance.
Cons
Work can be unstable being dependent on the volume of work available from school boards.
Personal and Professional Alignment
Trainer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 February 2017
LEARNstyle provides me the opportunity to find alignment between my personal interests, education, and my professional aspirations. It provides a venue in which I could fully utilize my developed skills while also, furthering my learning and developing new skills.

LEARNstyle is a company that places a high intrinsic value on its employees--and does an amazing job at staying focused on the positive impacts that we all can have on all types of learners.

LEARNstyle is a great place to work for and exceeds at recognizing employee achievements and communicating its mantra, goals and purpose to the entire team.
Pros
Young, enthusiastic team, diverse and passion driven
Rewarding experience to work with students from elementary to high school
Technology Consultant (Current Employee) –  GTA, ON20 February 2017
If you enjoy working with special needs and spending one on one time, this is the place to be! You learn a lot about how technology can be a part of the students' learning. You get to work in different schools, teachers, and parents. The company and team provides amazing support.
A fantastic and inclusive company!
Technology Consultant (Current Employee) –  Halton, ON18 February 2017
I have been with Learnstyle for half a year now and it's extremely supportive staff and positive work environment is something that makes them a 5-star company. With 24/7 support team and professional training, I have found the best company to be a part of and get to do what I love.
Fun and supportive company!
SEA Tech Consultant (Current Employee) –  London, Ontario18 February 2017
Great way to learn more about assistive tech and how to use technology in the classroom to support all students.
Working with students 1-on-1 is very rewarding!
A lot of professional development opportunities.
Passionate and motivated leadership team!
Pros
Focus on team development
Cons
Inconsistent hours
Positive, fun culture with PD opportunities!
Consultant (Current Employee) –  Halton, ON17 February 2017
LEARNstyle is by far the best company I have worked for! My team members and management team are amazing! The management goes out of their way to make each employee feel important and valued. There are numerous opportunities for PD whether it be through weekly team meetings or larger company wide training. On top of all that, I love that we are change makers in the lives of so many students!
Pros
Great hours and lots of vacation time!
Cons
Mileage only paid for staff meetings or special assignments
Amazing supportive and collaborative work environment where passion goes a long way!
SEA Assistive Technology Consultant (Current Employee) –  Halton Region17 February 2017
There is no typical day at work when you are teaching students with learning disabilities. That's what makes this job both exciting and challenging! The supportive work environment is second to none, it is one big team! Management is always looking to stay ahead of the evolving education realm.
Pros
Great internal growth opportunities and consistent work
Learnstyle is an amazing place to work
Assistive Technology Consultant (Current Employee) –  Office in Toronto, I work in the GEDSB amd HDSB17 February 2017
If you love education technology, special education, working with people with special needs and technology in general, this is the place for you. It is fast pace that if you are a consultant, you are at a different school everyday. It is rewarding and tons of networking options no matter what professional background you are coming from. Also, having a collaborative and supportive team/co-workers makes it an engaging and supportive environment to work in.
An Amazing Environment
Administrative Assistant (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Newmarket, ON17 February 2017
I have never worked in a company with an atmosphere so welcoming and supportive. Coworkers are invested in each other's success. And the working relationships at every level of management reflect that.
The work itself is rewarding. Knowing that you are making a difference in a child's education, in their future, is a fantastic feeling.
Pros
Great working environment and rewarding experiences
Relationship-Based Technology Instruction!
Lead Trainer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 February 2017
You have the opportunity to impact student's lives as you establish relationships with them to demonstrate how to effectively use technology in the classroom. You can have a tremendous impact on the staff and students as you show them how to integrate technology into the curriculum. You are a member of a supportive team who provide information and resources to meet the needs of staff and students. Being a LEARNstyle Consultant is challenging but extremely rewarding!
Pros
Having a positive impact on student's learning!
Cons
Can't think of any!
Best work place EVER
Trainer (Current Employee) –  3377 Bayview Ave16 February 2017
This company is fantastic! From their mission, to its culture, to the meaningful work that they do, this company is tops. I would highly recommend this work experience to anyone who is interested in making a difference in this world, and who is looking to connect with a great team of people.