LCBO

LCBO Pay & benefits reviews

Clear
3.4Pay & benefits

Build skids

I have been there for 23 yrs so when I started things were better and different. I myself as a full time employee have good benefits, but fix terms have nothing and I do think lcbo could treat them better. Yes u are told to work alot if busy I worked 30 days straight and it is heavy lifting but u r told that when in internet

toxic environment

Physical demands are very high.Wage rate is low to start raises are very small if any. amost no chance of promotion if you are a "Fixed term"Employee turnover is extremely high.zero work/life balance. When it's busy, they demand that you are able to work 7 days a week with some 12 hour days. If you can't do it you can be disciplined or fired.

Pros

anyone can get hired

Cons

easily replaced. unreasonable expectations.

Enjoyed working here, hard work though.

Working at LCBO (specifically the warehouse) was a good temporary job for me.The work is quite physical. I actually injured my back about a month into employment here because it is very physically demanding. Lots of lifting. It was like going to the gym every night and getting paid for it. Helped me lose alot of weight. I would say the hourly wage isn't high enough for how hard you work. I make much more right now and don't work half as hard as I did in the warehouse. Management was very nice and it was a chill relaxed environment. The job can be very repetitious and boring doing the same thing every single night, just moving boxes over and over and over again. My hands were a mess working here.If I had not found a better paying job I would have gone back for sure if they would have had me.

Pros

They frequently provided free food/drinks/bbqs/, employee enrichment- great management

Cons

Low wage for hard work, physically demanding.

Interesting industry and fun to deal with public, but stressful work environment!

Very many restrictions on what management can do due to it being a unionized environment. Union activity and attitudes are quite negative and anti-management. Work-load for manager is very heavy. Not an abundance of creativity or flexibility in this government job. Salary and benefits are very good but at what cost?

Pros

Salary and benefits.

Cons

Heavy work load, no creativity, union activity is very strong.

Don't.

Just don't. Quitting was the best thing I've ever done. The higher-than-average hourly wage will surely tempt you but trust me, you can do better. I promise.

Pros

Above minimum wage.

Cons

Toxic workplace, poor management, no guarantee of hours as a casual yet raises are based off hours worked, no benefits until you're considered full-time which could take 10 years.

Not for everyone

This job is easy once you get the hang of it. It can get busy, people can be rude and it can be really stressful but overall it’s just like any other retail job. Though there’s LARGE issues internally which is very disappointing from a government corporation. The ins and outs of the culture and procedures of the LCBO are often never explicitly explained, you just have to figure out how to maneuver through the union on your own. If you don’t work there for more than 10+ years you’re never getting full time, which means you may union dues but do not qualify for any benefits. The employee base is often older and quite grumpy. The job itself can be physically damaging. I don’t know a single coworker who hasn’t given themselves permanent injuries at work. But as a government job you are given lots of leeway for leave and other accommodations. The pay is insanely good and increases frequently based on hours worked.

Pros

High pay, easy work

Cons

Physically demanding, poor employee care, convoluted union environment

Stressful

Reactive not proactive, then they go overboard. Too worried about salary needed to run store. Always looking to cut staff hours but expect full production.

Pros

Salary

Cons

Pretty much everything else

Easy job for an apathetic trained monkey

This job is exclusively made or broken by your management. You can be shackled to weekends and evenings if you are not full time or on a rotation to have a social life. Good managers are rare.The job security from the union is strong and wage advancement is easy, but, takes a while. As you grow in seniority, your hours become more guaranteed. The tastings are fun and informative. Some customers get to benefit from your newfound knowledge.

Pros

Tastings and job security

Cons

Not worth the life balance sacrifice

Union is useless Compensation not worth: tasks / physical labour / Mgmt can force transfer against employee wishes / constantly required to solicit donations / sacrifice all weekends / nights / holidays / no Health Benefit package

Great atmosphere for a liquor retailer

Great experience, your experience will definitely depend on the connection you have with your store manager. Great training and impressed with efficiencies within the organization as a government board.

Pros

Accommodating employer

Cons

Part-time hire, wages, amount of hours based on seniority

Jobs at LCBO

See more jobs

Full time takes forever, Full time employees do little

There would be pros and cons to employment with the lcbo, like any job. And to every pro and con they have their very own upsides and downsides.-Full time can take anywhere from 5 years and up, if you can survive that long. Great for students, but seemingly people that have already retired from one life time of work always get hired. You can work there until your final breath-The paying wage is very fair. Once you’ve been with the company and a couple raises go by, it’s hard to leave the simplest job when they keep maying you more to do less.-Full time workers are untouchable. If there is an issue with senior employees, instead of talking it out like adults it is likely you’ll be transferred to another store. -Base availability of Friday- Sunday makes it very hard to get another job when your hours get cut (and they always do)

Supportive co workers but full time takes years

10 years for full timeYou must be available thurs to sun . Your not guaranteed hours which makes it impossible to get a second job. When your new your always stuck on cash.

Loved the job but....

Since available hours are based on seniority working a few hours over a two-week period and only receiving a $36 paycheque it’s not enough to survive on. I really enjoyed the job, the management as well as my coworkers.

Pros

Great working environment with opportunities for learning.

Cons

Not enough hours to survive on

No guaranteed hours. No benefits until after 5 yrs

Greedy company. They care about the sales. That's it. Hired as fixed term first, then casual. You could be casual for 20 yrs with no guaranteed hrs. One week 40 hrs, next could be 4. Even zero. They will move ppl around whenever and wherever they feel like it. Usually it is when one person causes a problem. Instead of reprimanding that person, or moving them, they move 3 others that are exemplary staff. The general public has a total misconception about this place.placGovernplacgovernment job with

Pros

Co workers, pleasant enough job

Cons

No benefits, greedy company, government job with zero government perks

Good pay, lousy benefits

Typical boring retail job. Management is way behind the times. Not much chance to learn anything new. Cash and putting away stock is mainly all you do so the days are long. Great co-workers.

Pros

Pays well

Cons

Minimum benefits after 5 years and you must requalify every year

Great work culture and benefits

Pros Work culture is great. Good working relationship with colleagues. Strong union. Good work-life balance. Great benefits. Cons Progression may be a challenge. Task could become repetitive depending on department.

Great until a pandemic happened.

Overall it is a great job. My only issue was when the pandemic happened. Our workload doubled and so did the abuse by customers. We were working in a hazardous enviroment and we were never compensated for it. I do believe the workers deserved the extra covid pay. Instead, we got all kinds of abuse and harassment from customers for simply trying to offer a safe shopping enviroment. The sales went up a large percentage and the big guys upstairs got to pocket the money while the workers put themselves and their loved ones at risk everyday. The amount of stress the staff members experienced was overwhelming.

Pros

Flexible hours

Don't waste your time

Do your research before accepting a position, staff incredibly rude No benefits, poor training Such a poisoned environment. I was on permanent midnights and had way to much work put on me. Don't waste your time.

Pros

Cons

full time staff very rude

Poor at the very least

Your a robot do as they say. Full time paid extra during covid19 you as a temp, seasonal or casual make NO premium. You take all the hard work and busy shifts for $16.10 / hour while full time who do basically no work make $33. Double time for overtime, you make time and a half.

Pros

Now airconditioned.

Cons

No advancement, low pay, no union protection since you are disposable, You wont be hired on for years, Pension starts only after your high enough or 3+ years.

Overall a great company to work for.

Have worked at the lcbo for over 1 year now. Really enjoy working at king city as this is a B store which means it is not a big store and not as stressful as an A or AA store. Would recommend working for the LCBO. Also part of a union.

Pros

Salary

Cons

Weekend work for sure

Great environment but advancement takes forever

Great place to work. Management is very relaxed and understanding. Advancement is nearly impossible. Need 8+ years for consistent full-time hours and benefits.

Pros

Tastings, great learning experience, fun environment

Cons

Hard the advance

Ask a question about working or interviewing at LCBO. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0Job security/advancement