LCBO

Clear
3.4Pay & benefits

senioritycashalcoholseasonalwineontariocasualcasuals

Fast paced work

Work is fast paced and booring. It takes a whole to get adjusted. Managers are racist, few are good. They also favour their favourites to grow. Other benefits are average.

good job but the culture is meh

overly reliant on casual labour for no reason at all, weird hours, nice people tho and consistent stress free work. strange politics surrounding getting full time

Insights into LCBO

What people like
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Supportive environment
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Energizing work tasks
  • Time and location flexibility

It’s a Job with no perks

If you want to make a paycheque. Then apply. But if you want a career. Try elsewhere. Takes 10+ years to get full time, that’s if it’s even offered to you. Casuals work 0-40 hours. Never the same shifts. Some stores you get no hours and pick up shifts at other stores. You’re a glorified cashier who stocks shelves. Full timers cannot be touched, they get away with everything. Don’t bother complaining because you go unheard. Some managers will write you up for gossip they hear from other staff. Only good for fixed term work. It’s all about money and being stingy. They make millions a year but say “we have to cut back”

Ok as casual employee

LCBO Ok to work as a casual employee - staff and management great - the overall culture of the LCBO whereby relying on casual staff -- I always found it odd that there are hundreds and hundreds of casual employees working full work weeks - some with managerial responsibilities with little or no benefits and no real chance of every securing a permanent position

Great for now

A lot of different politics I don’t wanna get in to. Been here for 2 years and I don’t get benefits unit 5 years in and I am a casual employee so I may or may not get my full 40 hours unless I’m full time or I am higher in Seniority.

Okay place to work for short term

Decent place to work if your looking for quick money. Would not recommend this job for someone whose looking for a long term career. the workplace culture is great but the worst part is that u have to work every holiday and the hours are always not guaranteed

Cons

no guarantee hours, always busy, dealing with intoxicated people

It's a job

For a retail job you get paid well per hour. In small stores you get short shifts. Don't expect to get more than 30 hours without working daily.I like that it is extremely flexible. It works for what I need right now. Supervisors are not paid enough and have a lot of unpaid time for a job that can run without them.

Pros

Casual employment

Cons

Casual employment

Expected to always be doing tasks

Part time work, pending location, fast paced must always look busy , especially during slower periods Must participate in the union, and pay Union fees for no reason

Extremely hard to move up in the company and learn

Because the LCBO is union you get your shifts based on when you were hired. During Christmas there is a ton of hours but once Christmas is over there are barely any hours. I have been with the LCBO for three years and I have been stuck at 30 hours or less that is not enough to live. Yes the pay is better than minimum and you get raises based on how many hours/years you've worked but with limited hours it is hard to advance. There is barely any training and if I am honest everyone is miserable. We are treated like garbages from the customers and we can't even stand up for ourselves without being written up. There is no room for growth. I wouldn't recommend it unless you're looking for job security and if you're okay with doing the same work over and over again.

Good student job but not a good environment long term

LCBO is a straight forward job if you have a decent IQ level. Don't expect to learn much because the training is sparse and you learn on your own as you go. This company has very outdated systems and protocols, as you can imagine since it is run by the government. As a fixed term or casual worker you basically stay on cash the whole shift while full timers stock shelves at a snails pace. You are over worked for the salary. Also you have to get used to being around alcoholics and miserable people. Your manager will certainly make or break your experience at the company. If you can get along with them, it can be smooth sailing and the day flies by.

It’s an ok job, but hard on family life when your a causal part and will take forever to get fulltime

Overall no a bad place to work, but if your looking for full time and benefits, this not the place to look as they usually start start employees as causal part timers or fix terms…..not full time and it can take upwards of 10 years to get full time and 5 years to get benefits, which is a down fault of working at the LCBO. They do give regular training. And a free uniform shirts. And another down fault your schedule can be kind of crazy, for example Sunday 3:15 to 8:15 Monday 5:15 to 10:15 Tuesday 8-1 Wednesday off Thursday 5:15 -10:15 Friday 2-7 Saturday 12-5 all in a one week period just for example….and if you want a weekend off you need to request it off or you’ll be scheduled every weekend as a causal part timer.

Pros

Recession proof

Cons

Crazy scheduling, takes forever to get full time, no benefits

Good Place To Work At

Very short review, I worked a Seasonal Position at the LCBO, The pay was decent $1-2 dollars above minimum wage, The co-workers are very nice and supportive and you feel like a team. Only issue I have with LCBO is when you are working seasonal 90% of your shifts and afternoon-night shifts, start time around 12:00 to closing. The workplaces are very clean. Most customers are nice you occasionally have your rude ones. The orientation was very informative but the training wasn't, they do train you for the position for example cashier, they train you while your cashing a customer out which might make you feel nervous. They follow all of the workplace laws so over 5 hour shifts 30mins break no exception they wont even bother you. Easy overall job but advancement is really slow, takes years to become full time with actual benefits.

Pros

Pay, Co-Workers, Clean Area, Customers.

Cons

Advancement in the workplace, training.

This is another minimum wage job

Nothing special about working at LCBO. You can compare it to working at McDonalds. There really isn't anything that would keep the average individual to continue working here. There are no incentives, no room for growth and the pay is a joke.

Pros

hard to think of any

Cons

Pay is low, standing at cashier

Fun work place

Easy and fast past room to growVery nice coworkers good pay lots of hours. Summer and Christmas time are the best time to work there. They give gift cards too

Working at LCBO

I was a casual at the lcbo for 5 years. It was a great part time opportunity while I was in university. Unionized, decent salary (for retail), nice staff, and good perks.

Fun workplace

Lcbo is good to work for if this is going to be your career. However for casual workers- the pay is low and you work all weekends. Store staff is based upon lcbo budget therefore the smaller stores are always understaffed which puts additional pressure on the working staff. Pay increase is based on the amount of hours you work so it could takes years to make a decent hourly wage! The LCBO is making millions of dollars a year for your government yet they cannot afford to pay workers appropriately!!?????

Pros

Fun environment

Cons

Underpaid

Fast paced interesting place to work

Dog eat dog environment. In the beginning of your employment your treated like a bottom feeder and get all the evening and weekend shifts. Work life balance is non existent , you work 6 days a week if want full time hours , primarily travelling from store to store to make up those hours.

Pros

Union security, above minimum wage pay

Cons

No set schedule

It's okay if you aren't looking to make a career out of it

I've been working at the company for about nine months as a CSR. The pay is decent and you get a raise after 6 months and another after 2 years. Hours can be sporadic in the early part of the year and intense around holidays & the summer depending on location. Just weeks apart, you could be scheduled two shifts a week to suddenly 7 days a week (with no regularity). It could take you 10 years to be awarded a full time position with benefits and holidays.It's true that you can be lazy in this job with no repercussions. Managers will sit at a computer all day and leave early while getting paid big-bucks. Casuals are handed all the workload with little thanks. Training is insufficient (repetitive online modules) and you are thrown into your position on the first day. Part-time casuals teach eachother how to do various tasks in fleeting moments, and to learn anything about liquor is in the hands of the employee themself. The job is physical with plenty of lifting and bending. And warning- they can move you to another location as they please without conferring with you.For retail, it's about as good as you can expect and generally customers are happy. I find the workers all to be in the least normal and some lovely people.

Lcbo

They offer you the world! But really, it's a low salary job that make's you work.As a seasonal worker, you are required all nights/closing and weekends.If you pass your probation and they like you, they hire you as P/TIf you're looking for a career change this is not it. Back to P/T you work weekends and nights. It'll take you a long process to get where you want to be at. Don't work in big A/B stores. Smaller stores are the best to work at. You will not only love the small town, but the people as well!Low salary will not get you thru anything if you are looking for a career in LCBO. It's a not glorified job with perks. In fact with the amount of liftin you do, you think they would offer the Part timers more. F/T don't do much in the place since they put in the time. They literally just boss people aroundIt took me awhile to get, that role up the ladder. But it still wasn't enough $$ to pay for anything since the high cost of living is on the rise.Stay away if you can.. you've been warned. It's no luxury job, with no perks what so ever!

Fast-paced work environment

It was such a challenge due to the number of people getting in and out of the store daily. Still, it was a fun place to work at. The team was very nice and a lot of teamwork is required.

Pros

Lots of benefits. Flexible shifts if a part-time

Beware not a lot of hours for store eorjets

Tough environment, union due hards make things difficult for everyone. Store managers work their butts off, little compensation for them. Upper management a joke, no respect talk about managers behind the backs if honest workers, shame

Ask a question about working or interviewing at LCBO. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement