LCBO
Happiness score is 64 out of 100

LCBO Employee Reviews

Build skids

I have been there for 23 yrs so when I started things were better and different. I myself as a full time employee have good benefits, but fix terms have nothing and I do think lcbo could treat them better. Yes u are told to work alot if busy I worked 30 days straight and it is heavy lifting but u r told that when in internet

Toxic Work Environment

Very toxic work environment from the leadership down Full of back stabbing. Upper management takes no blame or accepts no fault for anything they do.

Knowledgeable friendly staff and very clean atmosphere and fun to be around!

I was a contact driver using a truck of my hiring company, arrived at LCBO for my pick ups which would always be correct and ready for pickup, team atmosphere, efficiency, safety, and an all around great place to be! I would enjoy working with them again in the future as I always looked forward to the location in Ottawa, Ontario.

Pros

Safe, quickness, clean, efficient.

Cons

I was working for a contractor not LCBO

No wonder they can’t find anyone to work there

Extremely busy and stressful environment. On your feet all day, long days, with break only an hour or two before 8 hour shift ended. Beware that if a customer’s credit or debit card purchase does not go through and you notice only after they left the store, you will be told to pay for half of their bill as well as any other shortages from your till. Pay is low and would have to work a lot of hours to get an advance. Seasonal help is made to work at cash most of the time and no guarantee of getting hired on or remaining at a location close to you.

Pros

10am start time

Cons

Too many to list

toxic environment

Physical demands are very high.Wage rate is low to start raises are very small if any. amost no chance of promotion if you are a "Fixed term"Employee turnover is extremely high.zero work/life balance. When it's busy, they demand that you are able to work 7 days a week with some 12 hour days. If you can't do it you can be disciplined or fired.

Pros

anyone can get hired

Cons

easily replaced. unreasonable expectations.

Enjoyed working here, hard work though.

Working at LCBO (specifically the warehouse) was a good temporary job for me.The work is quite physical. I actually injured my back about a month into employment here because it is very physically demanding. Lots of lifting. It was like going to the gym every night and getting paid for it. Helped me lose alot of weight. I would say the hourly wage isn't high enough for how hard you work. I make much more right now and don't work half as hard as I did in the warehouse. Management was very nice and it was a chill relaxed environment. The job can be very repetitious and boring doing the same thing every single night, just moving boxes over and over and over again. My hands were a mess working here.If I had not found a better paying job I would have gone back for sure if they would have had me.

Pros

They frequently provided free food/drinks/bbqs/, employee enrichment- great management

Cons

Low wage for hard work, physically demanding.

Ups and Downs at lcbo

Hours were less at my other store. Got bumped to another store got more hours but 3/4 saturdays booked until 10pm at night. Back in at 10am Sunday. No life outside of the lcbo. Given mainly all evening hrs while seasonals get great day hours and their evenings free. Can be overworked underpaid and very stressful.

Pros

See new products, work with some great people

Cons

Rude customers. Hours are horrible and they will work you til you drop.

Great for summer students

Love management and my coworkers. They are all very kind and supportive whenever asked for assistance. Customers can be challenging but very sociable when cashing them out. The work is repetitive as a casual employee but it’s nice to have a routine and know what is expected of you. Hours however, are dependent on the store’s needs and can fluctuate between full time and part time.

Pros

Great coworkers, easy work

Cons

inconsistent hours

Labour intensive

Make sure you wear comfortable steel toed shoes. Blisters on my feet made the difference between a good or bad day. Repetitive and not too challenging once you get the hang of it. Play Tetris. It’ll help.

Pros

Everyone helps each other

Cons

Low wage, impersonal setting

Productive and great place to work

Working at the LCBO has been both rewarding and fun. Great environment and friendly staff. Up to date government procedures during Covid Additional training is provided when needed

Pros

Positive working environment

Cons

Many years a part time worker

Fun Place to work

All the employees are fun to work with. Online training is fun and easy. Mgmt is easy to talk to you. No hard headed bosses. Potential to advance

Pros

Good hours

Cons

N/a

Poisonous Management Culture - Seasonal

I honestly loved the job !. a good 99% of the customers made it rewarding.BUT -Management will treat the Seasonal like disposable trash.If you are lazy, you won't get hours.If you are excellent and stand out, you will be thrown under the bus by Full Timers.I never worked for an employer before where Managers would reprimand you for being "big and intimidating". Nothing said, no threats, just a full timer was upset by your looks.Honestly, if you find a great Manager and location, run with it, but don't be outstanding...

Pros

Customers

Cons

casual labor with opportunity to grow

great place to worklearned lots of knowledgeloved my co workers and enviroment taste testing products in order to be knowledgeablewish the contract for employment was based on experience not seniority

Pros

free shirts

Cons

Active place to work until the work stops then you clean up...

I enjoyed my time here. It was fast paced and labour intensive. You lose weight working here and gain muscles in your arms. I would work here again if invited to. Working with good people and some crazy ones but you learn to avoid those ones.

Pros

Safe work environment, masks and social distancing

Cons

Being idle for hours when the lines go down, contract work, not getting hired on

Waste of time.

Management pretends to be supportive, but will throw you under every bus they can find when the need arises. Most co-workers are decent. Quite a few snakes though. Nice to your face, but will bite you regardless. Job is demanding, which is fine. Sales people complete orders like airlines booking tickets. Sell 500, but can only accommodate 300. Problem is, management expects the orders to be filled. No matter what. Expect 70 hrs a week. No days off. If you try, they will "mandate" you. Taking a day off "hurts the company" and illustrates your "pattern of absentism". Definitely don't have an injury at work either. You'll get nothing but grief. They dangle the carrot of a permanent position over your head constantly. If you meet their requirements, you won't get the job. You having a life does not satisfy the needs of the company. Their bottom line is the only thing of importance.

Pros

Some good coworkers.

Cons

Unpaid lunches for 8 hr shift translates to 7.5 hrs paid, 12 hr shift equals 11 hrs paid, Can take up to 4 wks to get first paycheque, And so on

Interesting industry and fun to deal with public, but stressful work environment!

Very many restrictions on what management can do due to it being a unionized environment. Union activity and attitudes are quite negative and anti-management. Work-load for manager is very heavy. Not an abundance of creativity or flexibility in this government job. Salary and benefits are very good but at what cost?

Pros

Salary and benefits.

Cons

Heavy work load, no creativity, union activity is very strong.

Great place to work with helpful staff and a real team spirit

I liked working there. I learned alot about people and myself. The conditions were sometimes quite challenging but I enjoyed that aspect of the work. Co-workers really had a team spirit and I found myself enjoying the times there even when quite busy.

Pros

Little perks on occasion and the staff were quite helpful when working in the summer months

Cons

Sometimes got hot in the summer.

Don't.

Just don't. Quitting was the best thing I've ever done. The higher-than-average hourly wage will surely tempt you but trust me, you can do better. I promise.

Pros

Above minimum wage.

Cons

Toxic workplace, poor management, no guarantee of hours as a casual yet raises are based off hours worked, no benefits until you're considered full-time which could take 10 years.

Wouldn’t recommend working here

They like to preach safety but that’s all for show, it all comes down to how much can be unloaded or loaded. Union is terrible, I never heard from them or even knew who the reps were until I my contract was over. Terrible place to work

Cons

Repetitive and Co-workers make it dreadful

management is not up to standards, multiple errors within payments, strict and hostile environment. i do not recommend working here, if you are still interested i would recommend working at a smaller location were it may be more relaxed

IT Leadership at LCBO is a Joke

IT Leadership is a joke especially the VPsVP of applications is not liked by most business leaders and hasnt delivered anything since they onboarded this person.VP of architecture doesnt know abcd of Architecture.VP of technology team has several HR complaints about him cuz of his management style. IT Staff members are constant in fear of losing their jobs, most of the work is done by consulting firms and IT contractors and permanent full time workers have very little chance to learn and grow. They have constant issues of talent coming in and leaving within a year or two just because of IT leadership

Pros

Retirement package

Cons

Bad Leadership

Ask a question about working or interviewing at LCBO. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0Job security/advancement