LCBO Employee Reviews

Excellent group of coworkers and dealing with clients. Some of them, just few are angry people, the vast mayority are very decent and fun. Always taking a moment to talk and learn more about the human being.
Pros
Clients
Cons
Short shifts, only 30 minutes lunch break
Lazy Office staff get paid way more than the warehouse workers. Which is a shame, because the warehouse workers are actually all amazing.Office staff are stuck up, ignorant ppl, absolutely discus ting how they treat some workers.
Cons
Usually when you first start you get great hours after that you lucky to even get a shift a shift. Most people you work with are amazing but like half of management tends to be toxic and expect to much of you.
Pros
Great experience, fantastic coworkers
Cons
Terrible hours, toxic management
Since available hours are based on seniority working a few hours over a two-week period and only receiving a $36 paycheque it’s not enough to survive on. I really enjoyed the job, the management as well as my coworkers.
Pros
Great working environment with opportunities for learning.
Cons
Not enough hours to survive on
Store managers only care about themselves and how they appear to management. you have to provide your own uniform & background check with no reimbursement and they will call you every single day asking you to come in/ ask you to extend and take more shifts when you are working. It's looked down upon when you aren't able to dedicate your whole life to this place. If you don't get along with your manager you are allowed to be transferred at a whim.
Pros
lots of hours if you want them
Lets do the math. The company wants you to lift 550 boxes of around 30 kg each in a 8 hour shift . 1 hour goes to break ,so 550 boxes (around 30 kg each) in 7 hours , ie 7*60 = 420 minutes. So u have to lift more than 1 box of 30 kg In a minute and drive a mini forklift kind of think ,which is difficult to drive and also back breaking. So u need to lift around 15000 kg in each shift , and bend around 2000 times, it breaks ur back , upper back and lower back, spine, hands , shoulder. If u are performing bad , the supervisor keeps forcing you to do more very badly. They say 16.10 but after union and some kind of tax u get 13. Something. It will take around 12 years to become supervisor (first promotion). Supervisors doesn't do any job , they just walk around. Dont waste your time. And the management is terrible, they treat u like a machine, I can see my co workers struggling to meet numbers and , suffering from body pain .
Pros
Free water
Cons
Body pain
Greedy company. They care about the sales. That's it. Hired as fixed term first, then casual. You could be casual for 20 yrs with no guaranteed hrs. One week 40 hrs, next could be 4. Even zero. They will move ppl around whenever and wherever they feel like it. Usually it is when one person causes a problem. Instead of reprimanding that person, or moving them, they move 3 others that are exemplary staff. The general public has a total misconception about this place.placGovernplacgovernment job with
Pros
Co workers, pleasant enough job
Cons
No benefits, greedy company, government job with zero government perks
For the love of God - find another job. If you find other reviews, you'll see much more of what happens in this place. Here are a few examples:1) Extreme favoritism and rampant politicking from management2) Horribly low pay, no COVID premiums3) Many full-timers aren't the sharpest tools in the shed, (some are nice though), they often come across as very rude and unwelcoming.4) Turnover is very high, new employees are trained weekly and often quit at a moment's notice, likely due to a combination of the above reasonsBasically go in, get paid, leave. You're lucky if you make friends. Not a healthy environment for anyone to be a part of. You've been warned. These people are lucky anyone chooses to work here at all.
Pros
Full-time hours, physical job
Cons
Everything else
Worked as a fixed term casual on two occasions and have enjoyed my time at the Lansdowne Street East Willow Creek Peterborough location..and have made new friends and gained valuable experience.A fun place to work.. looking forward to coming back this Christmas season.
Pros
Tastings..great and friendly co workers. Continuous learning.
Cons
Little to no room for advancement opportunities... due to covid-19
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at LCBO?
My most enjoyable part of the job is on the cash register and talking and meeting the people. It also makes the day go by quickly. I think it's very well run. The staff is good . Management is pretty good. I had a lot of fun and we worked hard.
Pros
fast paced job
Cons
hard to stand on those type of floors for 8 hours. It wrecks the body and feet
I was a fixed term casual employee over the summer of 2020. It was to get me working during the pandemic and that's what it did. My hours were 25-30hrs/week but some of the people who were hired in july only got 5 or 10hrs per week (2 5hr shifts). You are contracted to be available every weekend and usually only get frequent 5hr shifts. It is the ideal job if you want to work off times from another job and are able to extend your fixed term contract to part time casual work.
Pros
Prudict knowledge
Cons
Infrequent hours. Limited availability to advance in the company
The best thing about working at LCBO is the pay, and if you are lucky enough to end up at a good store with great coworkers and management, like I was. However, I have heard horror stories about the environment of other stores. The majority of the customers are horrible, rude, entitled and sometimes downright abusive, but thats retail for you. It's worse at LCBO because it's government owned so people mistreat you as if its their right, as if they think they are directly paying your wage, as if you aren't also a taxpayer. You are dealing with selling alcohol so you get lots of problems depending on the neighbourhood. Not enough security guards for the amount of money LCBO rakes in in a day, so you feel unsafe depending on the neighbourhood/time of day. Upper management pretends to care about your wellbeing but really they just want to make money, as long as you're well enough to work thats what they care about.
Pros
pay, coworkers, and its busy so the time passes quickly
Cons
incidents, abusive customers and very stressful at times
Typical boring retail job. Management is way behind the times. Not much chance to learn anything new. Cash and putting away stock is mainly all you do so the days are long. Great co-workers.
Pros
Pays well
Cons
Minimum benefits after 5 years and you must requalify every year
Overall a good company to work for, friendly good atmosphere there is area for advancements, lots of tips and courses to better enhance you abilities to work in the LCBO
Pros Work culture is great. Good working relationship with colleagues. Strong union. Good work-life balance. Great benefits. Cons Progression may be a challenge. Task could become repetitive depending on department.
The job was great! close to home, super nice people to work with, never worked in retail before, I helped clients do carr outs and help client find what alcoholic they wanted. Cleaning up after bottles feel and general cleaning. Was a good part-time job, The job was a seasonal job for the winter. Store Management was great! I was lifting boxes, but the staff showed how to do that correctly so I would not get hurt
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Seasonal work, Hard to get in Full time
the work at LCBO is relaxed and stress less work, usually it gets busy in the weekends but the customers by themselves make line outside and wait for their turn, to help to maintain social distance and to protect each other due to this COVID-19.
Higher management and leadership have no idea what they are doing and they are technically unqualified - Good qualified team and very helpful but bad managers and leaders
The management just cares about numbers, to them you are just another dispensable body working and as a result, lots of mistrust and competitiveness within the employees. Some people who are not favourites are kept on the top floor for months until you get laid off and a new group is hired,same cycle continues, topfloor is also the worst for numbers because of the frequent stops,bending and squeezing to reach different sizes of box
Pros
Some money coming in
Cons
Supervisors look down on employees, unrealistic expectations of number of boxes picked, especially top floor, physical work
Overall it is a great job. My only issue was when the pandemic happened. Our workload doubled and so did the abuse by customers. We were working in a hazardous enviroment and we were never compensated for it. I do believe the workers deserved the extra covid pay. Instead, we got all kinds of abuse and harassment from customers for simply trying to offer a safe shopping enviroment. The sales went up a large percentage and the big guys upstairs got to pocket the money while the workers put themselves and their loved ones at risk everyday. The amount of stress the staff members experienced was overwhelming.
Pros
Flexible hours
I enjoyed the people and the pace at the LCBO. Most people are very nice and so are the customers. A very pleasant place to be. I would work there again.
Cons
Not being kept on after seasonal work.