LCBO

LCBO: 738 Employee Reviews

Canada738 reviews

senioritycashalcoholseasonalwineontariocasualcasuals

Fast paced work

Work is fast paced and booring. It takes a whole to get adjusted. Managers are racist, few are good. They also favour their favourites to grow. Other benefits are average.

Good to work in which was my hobbies

Supported me for professional deveploment in the Wine and spirits business. Intensive training on the job training . Good workers to work with.it is a very good company to work for. i strongly recommended to all.

Insights into LCBO

What people like
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Supportive environment
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Energizing work tasks
  • Time and location flexibility

Make sure you get Jon with fair management

Awful experience with management.and don’t recommend this Carleton place , Ontario location to any one. But overall good job experience and interactive with people.

good job but the culture is meh

overly reliant on casual labour for no reason at all, weird hours, nice people tho and consistent stress free work. strange politics surrounding getting full time

It’s a Job with no perks

If you want to make a paycheque. Then apply. But if you want a career. Try elsewhere. Takes 10+ years to get full time, that’s if it’s even offered to you. Casuals work 0-40 hours. Never the same shifts. Some stores you get no hours and pick up shifts at other stores. You’re a glorified cashier who stocks shelves. Full timers cannot be touched, they get away with everything. Don’t bother complaining because you go unheard. Some managers will write you up for gossip they hear from other staff. Only good for fixed term work. It’s all about money and being stingy. They make millions a year but say “we have to cut back”

Has its perks

Like any customer service job, you have your fair share of ups and downs with customers. Most days are quick paced, especially days when you receive the stores beer/liqueur shipment.

It was a great job and I was upset I had to leave for epically reason

I loved my job and inwould do anything to do get ot back. If Givin the chance I nwpmt let u kno0w I would like to eventually get a full time position. I was great st would do anything to.get my position back . Cust8liked me and I liked the . I gave q40% when I work. I was being trained Ed for shift lead I k ow how to count the sGe close people of

Pros

Open

Cons

Open

Always Learning

Always have the opportunity to learn about new products and meet some of the product representatives who are extremely knowledgeable. If you are looking to become someone more than just a customer service representative in the alcohol industry this is a great place to start.

Ok as casual employee

LCBO Ok to work as a casual employee - staff and management great - the overall culture of the LCBO whereby relying on casual staff -- I always found it odd that there are hundreds and hundreds of casual employees working full work weeks - some with managerial responsibilities with little or no benefits and no real chance of every securing a permanent position

Over worked and Under paid

There is a huge myth that working at LCBO is a government job. A lot of people seek employment with LCBO because of this misconception. Starting pay is pathetic considering the amount of revenue the LCBO generates. There is no guarantee of hours and it is a seniority based company. It takes approximately 10 years to become a full time employee. Over the last 2 years several employees have completely quit working for LCBO do LCBO due to the strenuous work work and lock of employees willing to come to work. The expectation to perform strenuous tasks such as lifting cases of wine or spirits as well as 24 can flats of beer type products takes a toll on your body. You are expected to be available every Friday Saturday and Sunday and because of seniority you rarely get daytime shifts leave you to work evenings and weekends which also takes away from your own personal life and/or family life a family life. Would not recommend.

Ok

Enjoyed the team I worked with during my time. Getting into the LCBO at this time is only ever part time.. Will take 20 years to get full time at this point. You are just a number.

Pros

Tastings

Cons

Weekends & Evenings, no advancement

Great for now

A lot of different politics I don’t wanna get in to. Been here for 2 years and I don’t get benefits unit 5 years in and I am a casual employee so I may or may not get my full 40 hours unless I’m full time or I am higher in Seniority.

Customer service Representer

If you like meeting people, LCBO has fantastic customers. It is the customers who make it a pleasurable place. Watching the theft daily becomes a little concerning

Pros

Pay cheque

Cons

Non team players, harassment from co-workers

Okay place to work for short term

Decent place to work if your looking for quick money. Would not recommend this job for someone whose looking for a long term career. the workplace culture is great but the worst part is that u have to work every holiday and the hours are always not guaranteed

Cons

no guarantee hours, always busy, dealing with intoxicated people

It's a job

For a retail job you get paid well per hour. In small stores you get short shifts. Don't expect to get more than 30 hours without working daily.I like that it is extremely flexible. It works for what I need right now. Supervisors are not paid enough and have a lot of unpaid time for a job that can run without them.

Pros

Casual employment

Cons

Casual employment

Expected to always be doing tasks

Part time work, pending location, fast paced must always look busy , especially during slower periods Must participate in the union, and pay Union fees for no reason

Extremely hard to move up in the company and learn

Because the LCBO is union you get your shifts based on when you were hired. During Christmas there is a ton of hours but once Christmas is over there are barely any hours. I have been with the LCBO for three years and I have been stuck at 30 hours or less that is not enough to live. Yes the pay is better than minimum and you get raises based on how many hours/years you've worked but with limited hours it is hard to advance. There is barely any training and if I am honest everyone is miserable. We are treated like garbages from the customers and we can't even stand up for ourselves without being written up. There is no room for growth. I wouldn't recommend it unless you're looking for job security and if you're okay with doing the same work over and over again.

Good student job but not a good environment long term

LCBO is a straight forward job if you have a decent IQ level. Don't expect to learn much because the training is sparse and you learn on your own as you go. This company has very outdated systems and protocols, as you can imagine since it is run by the government. As a fixed term or casual worker you basically stay on cash the whole shift while full timers stock shelves at a snails pace. You are over worked for the salary. Also you have to get used to being around alcoholics and miserable people. Your manager will certainly make or break your experience at the company. If you can get along with them, it can be smooth sailing and the day flies by.

Cool

The place was chill. It was pretty fast pace do it came get alittle stressful but coworkers were always there to help. The mangers were kinda annoying but always meant well

It’s an ok job, but hard on family life when your a causal part and will take forever to get fulltime

Overall no a bad place to work, but if your looking for full time and benefits, this not the place to look as they usually start start employees as causal part timers or fix terms…..not full time and it can take upwards of 10 years to get full time and 5 years to get benefits, which is a down fault of working at the LCBO. They do give regular training. And a free uniform shirts. And another down fault your schedule can be kind of crazy, for example Sunday 3:15 to 8:15 Monday 5:15 to 10:15 Tuesday 8-1 Wednesday off Thursday 5:15 -10:15 Friday 2-7 Saturday 12-5 all in a one week period just for example….and if you want a weekend off you need to request it off or you’ll be scheduled every weekend as a causal part timer.

Pros

Recession proof

Cons

Crazy scheduling, takes forever to get full time, no benefits

ok starter job

I’ve been a casual at this company for around a year now. I am currently looking for a new job because this job is not sustainable when you first start.It’s a union job so everything goes by seniority. But it’s at the expense of the people lowest in seniority. I have not been scheduled to work at all this month. However, your managers will try to call you in last minute daily, and they will get mad at you if you can’t come in. You are not guaranteed hours until you have been loyal to this company for about 5+ years. It is worth it if you want to make this job a career, however, it will take at least a decade to be promoted to full time.Management is terrible and there is plenty of favouritism. This has caused a toxic and hostile work environment at my location, and district does not care to fix it. Overall, I would never recommend people to work here, unless this is a side job. It’s also very dependant on location as well.

Pros

average retail job, very easy

Cons

no guaranteed hours, management is terrible

Ask a question about working or interviewing at LCBO. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement