LCBO
Happiness score is 65 out of 100

LCBO Employee Reviews

Very safe, but underwhelming

It is a retail position, and unfortunately the LCBO is constantly cutting back more and more and making this place more undesirable to work at. If you're willing to work here for years and build up seniority, it can be a job you can make a career out of. Progress is very stagnant because it is a unionized workplace, so there isn't much incentive to work harder than others. If you're not very skilled and want to work customer service for the rest of your days, this place would suffice.

Pros

Secure Job, Tuition Assistance, Good Co-workers

Cons

No incentive to work harder, stagnant, under-staffed.

Great seasonal job

Very good job for someone looking to make extra money while working another job. Do not rely on this as sole income as the hours are based on seniority.

Stressful racist work environment

Management don't care about the workers, constant. arguments with Management, and fellow employees, no team players, fights breaking out on the production lineIt's a union site, sadly temporary workers must pay union dues and the union never help temporary workers they are classed as 2nd citizens in the work place.Christmas time no Christmas lunch or dinner just a bloody hand shake.

Pros

Leaving after each shift.

Cons

Most stressful racist work environment

no good lol avoid

Maybe it would be good for someone with warehouse experience but for someone who has none I cant recommend cause their "training" is a joke. I was hired a month prior to first day of training and They have no clue on how to train people, they brought in me + 20 other people into a classroom, I have never used a forklift before and they have someone show you the basics of it really lazily and explain it poorly and rushed then expect you to do a test and if you fail they let you go.The job itself isn't that great for the pay alot of moving and twisting and you have to have seniority just to be on the day shift, So maybe it was a blessing I did not continue working here.

Inconsistent

No consistency in management from store to store! You will get transferred around whether you like it or not. Knowledge Resources at head office need to get over themselves. Power hungry hierarchy.

Pros

Made good friends

Cons

Long store opening hours and forced to work weekends.

Don't waste your time or career here!

Work at the LCBO only if1) love working EVERY weekend 2) like standing in one spot ON CASH for entire shift3) dealing with underage; intoxicated people; anti-maskers4) public telling you to go **** yourself because you are doing your job when you ask for ID5) having to listen to disgrunteled public because of Covid PoliciesAsk yourself, Is your life that bad?YOU CAN DO BETTER!

Pros

a paycheque? But you earned it and deserve more for BS from public and management

Cons

re-read above comments

Toxic Work Environment

Very toxic work environment from the leadership down Full of back stabbing. Upper management takes no blame or accepts no fault for anything they do.

Knowledgeable friendly staff and very clean atmosphere and fun to be around!

I was a contact driver using a truck of my hiring company, arrived at LCBO for my pick ups which would always be correct and ready for pickup, team atmosphere, efficiency, safety, and an all around great place to be! I would enjoy working with them again in the future as I always looked forward to the location in Ottawa, Ontario.

Pros

Safe, quickness, clean, efficient.

Cons

I was working for a contractor not LCBO

No wonder they can’t find anyone to work there

Extremely busy and stressful environment. On your feet all day, long days, with break only an hour or two before 8 hour shift ended. Beware that if a customer’s credit or debit card purchase does not go through and you notice only after they left the store, you will be told to pay for half of their bill as well as any other shortages from your till. Pay is low and would have to work a lot of hours to get an advance. Seasonal help is made to work at cash most of the time and no guarantee of getting hired on or remaining at a location close to you.

Pros

10am start time

Cons

Too many to list

Build skids

I have been there for 23 yrs so when I started things were better and different. I myself as a full time employee have good benefits, but fix terms have nothing and I do think lcbo could treat them better. Yes u are told to work alot if busy I worked 30 days straight and it is heavy lifting but u r told that when in internet

toxic environment

Physical demands are very high.Wage rate is low to start raises are very small if any. amost no chance of promotion if you are a "Fixed term"Employee turnover is extremely high.zero work/life balance. When it's busy, they demand that you are able to work 7 days a week with some 12 hour days. If you can't do it you can be disciplined or fired.

Pros

anyone can get hired

Cons

easily replaced. unreasonable expectations.

Enjoyed working here, hard work though.

Working at LCBO (specifically the warehouse) was a good temporary job for me.The work is quite physical. I actually injured my back about a month into employment here because it is very physically demanding. Lots of lifting. It was like going to the gym every night and getting paid for it. Helped me lose alot of weight. I would say the hourly wage isn't high enough for how hard you work. I make much more right now and don't work half as hard as I did in the warehouse. Management was very nice and it was a chill relaxed environment. The job can be very repetitious and boring doing the same thing every single night, just moving boxes over and over and over again. My hands were a mess working here.If I had not found a better paying job I would have gone back for sure if they would have had me.

Pros

They frequently provided free food/drinks/bbqs/, employee enrichment- great management

Cons

Low wage for hard work, physically demanding.

Ups and Downs at lcbo

Hours were less at my other store. Got bumped to another store got more hours but 3/4 saturdays booked until 10pm at night. Back in at 10am Sunday. No life outside of the lcbo. Given mainly all evening hrs while seasonals get great day hours and their evenings free. Can be overworked underpaid and very stressful.

Pros

See new products, work with some great people

Cons

Rude customers. Hours are horrible and they will work you til you drop.

Great for summer students

Love management and my coworkers. They are all very kind and supportive whenever asked for assistance. Customers can be challenging but very sociable when cashing them out. The work is repetitive as a casual employee but it’s nice to have a routine and know what is expected of you. Hours however, are dependent on the store’s needs and can fluctuate between full time and part time.

Pros

Great coworkers, easy work

Cons

inconsistent hours

Labour intensive

Make sure you wear comfortable steel toed shoes. Blisters on my feet made the difference between a good or bad day. Repetitive and not too challenging once you get the hang of it. Play Tetris. It’ll help.

Pros

Everyone helps each other

Cons

Low wage, impersonal setting

Productive and great place to work

Working at the LCBO has been both rewarding and fun. Great environment and friendly staff. Up to date government procedures during Covid Additional training is provided when needed

Pros

Positive working environment

Cons

Many years a part time worker

Fun Place to work

All the employees are fun to work with. Online training is fun and easy. Mgmt is easy to talk to you. No hard headed bosses. Potential to advance

Pros

Good hours

Cons

N/a

Poisonous Management Culture - Seasonal

I honestly loved the job !. a good 99% of the customers made it rewarding.BUT -Management will treat the Seasonal like disposable trash.If you are lazy, you won't get hours.If you are excellent and stand out, you will be thrown under the bus by Full Timers.I never worked for an employer before where Managers would reprimand you for being "big and intimidating". Nothing said, no threats, just a full timer was upset by your looks.Honestly, if you find a great Manager and location, run with it, but don't be outstanding...

Pros

Customers

Cons

casual labor with opportunity to grow

great place to worklearned lots of knowledgeloved my co workers and enviroment taste testing products in order to be knowledgeablewish the contract for employment was based on experience not seniority

Pros

free shirts

Cons

Active place to work until the work stops then you clean up...

I enjoyed my time here. It was fast paced and labour intensive. You lose weight working here and gain muscles in your arms. I would work here again if invited to. Working with good people and some crazy ones but you learn to avoid those ones.

Pros

Safe work environment, masks and social distancing

Cons

Being idle for hours when the lines go down, contract work, not getting hired on

Waste of time.

Management pretends to be supportive, but will throw you under every bus they can find when the need arises. Most co-workers are decent. Quite a few snakes though. Nice to your face, but will bite you regardless. Job is demanding, which is fine. Sales people complete orders like airlines booking tickets. Sell 500, but can only accommodate 300. Problem is, management expects the orders to be filled. No matter what. Expect 70 hrs a week. No days off. If you try, they will "mandate" you. Taking a day off "hurts the company" and illustrates your "pattern of absentism". Definitely don't have an injury at work either. You'll get nothing but grief. They dangle the carrot of a permanent position over your head constantly. If you meet their requirements, you won't get the job. You having a life does not satisfy the needs of the company. Their bottom line is the only thing of importance.

Pros

Some good coworkers.

Cons

Unpaid lunches for 8 hr shift translates to 7.5 hrs paid, 12 hr shift equals 11 hrs paid, Can take up to 4 wks to get first paycheque, And so on

Ask a question about working or interviewing at LCBO. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0Job security/advancement