LCBO Employee Reviews

Soul-crushing
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 November 2018
Humbling (read disheartening) experience I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy, but quite valuable for 'insider information'.
An easy job for those that lack ambition. Unionized; so, no merit-based rewards.
Great place to work.
LCBO Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Dwight, ON6 November 2018
LCBO was a great place to work. The staff ,the customers were fun to deal with. You always had new things to learn and do and management were very supportive and were eager to advise. The hardest part of the job is when I had to retire as I valued every day I put in knowing I made a difference to someone. In Dwight where I managed I always looked forward to summer as it was a tourist area and seeing everyone again. It was a great time in my life and would reccommend anyone to enjoy the experiences I did.
Pros
advancement, working with great people, fun inspiring.
Cons
none that I had.
Best Summer Job
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Clearwater Bay, ON2 November 2018
Unionized environment. Customer facing role grows interpersonal relationships. Able to learn about products and assist customers. Co-workers are all happy and able to work as a team.
Winter/Holiday Season Temporary Relief (Former Employee) –  Owen Sound, ON24 October 2018
The LCBO is a great place to work. Understanding the limitations and expectations of being employed as casual / holiday help is extremely helpful to those being employed as temporary, holiday help.
Good benefit package, looks good on resume short term, do not plan to stay long.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 October 2018
This is a good place to start out your career. It looks good on a resume, but do not plan to stay long term. They have no loyalty to their long time employees, and the pay is scale is dictated by the whim of the government. Salaries are routinely frozen in terms of increases. They expect you to work hard for very little recognition or reward. There is a do more with less culture here. They do not promote on merit.
Pros
Good Benefits Package
Cons
No Loyalty
Managment Cares about customers
Seasonal Customer Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON16 October 2018
Managment makes sure all employess are trained and know what they have to do to ensure each and every customer is served appropriately. I got the impression that they care.
immense growth opportunities
Lead Senior Programmer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 October 2018
I had an amazing experience at KCBO - very professional environment with high learning culture. It has immense growth opportunities. My experience at LCBO was wonderful in terms of learning, growth, and fun. My boss gave me a chance to explore other IT function by taking different projects and also work cross-functionally to learn more about business.
Enjoyed the job, no security
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Port Burwell, ON1 October 2018
I really enjoyed working for the LCBO, and the ability to pick up shifts at other locations if available. It was very hard to only work at the LCBO because there was no guaranteed hours, and sometimes you would be called in with a few hours notice so it would be hard to make arrangements with a second job. Good for someone whos looking for PT.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
No commitment
A culture of unreasonable expectations
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Ontario1 October 2018
Store Managers are held accountable to unreasonable expectations around staff productivity, but unionized staff cannot be held accountable to basic performance levels. Escalating performance management for unionized staff consists of letters and more letters, but never dismissal for poor performance or for not being able to meet the basic of expectations.
Pros
Relative job security
Cons
Unreasonable expectations for Store Managers
Warehouse duties
Warehouse Worker (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 September 2018
This is a government job with benefits and pension. I've been with the company for ten years, but I'm ready for a new challenge.
I've worked hard to achieve my position and am proud of my work ethic.
Pros
Benefits, pension, possibility for advancement
Cons
Not enough teamwork
Cashier seasonal
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, ON29 September 2018
Absolutely loved it! On your feet entire shift but happy Xmas shoppers.... Raised funds for sick kids foundation... Customers generous at Christmastime ... Met many wonderful people and adored our store manager... Fun work environment!
Pros
Busy, great employees, pay is above par
Cons
Crazy busy christmas eve lol, difficult to get hired on due to unionization and seniority
Lcbo
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Stayner, ON27 September 2018
Government job, well paying job, six and seven day work weeks.
Some shifts can be as little as 2 hours for management lunch relief.
Not much room for advancement.
Obtaining full time status not likely.
Most enjoyable part of the job, people.
Refer to my resume.
Good place to wrok.
Retail Sales and C.S.R. Casual (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON27 September 2018
Decent place to work with good ethics and service to clients and staff. Clean, can be fun, always busy.
Management was a dream in Cambridge, however some areas not so much.
Pros
good hours
Cons
alcoholic beverages can be dangerous
ok work space with fun people
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON22 September 2018
the LCBO gives you knowledge and determination about what job you are doing even if you dont know how to yet. The work is very decent and gives you lots of different techniques to use throughout your time thier.
Wonderful experience meeting and providing assistance to a variety of consumers.
Seasonal Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Honey Harbour, ON20 September 2018
Great organization that provides excellent training, fun work environment and job diversification in a seasonal community focusing on exceeding customer expectations.
Pros
Job diversification and customer interaction.
Cons
Potential for long hours in a part time seasonal job .
Has potential but is a highly toxic work environment
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Cobourg, ON15 September 2018
On a province-wide level, it is an okay job if you do not need a steady income and do not mind working every weekend and all holidays. However, your hours for the first few years will be vary variable (plenty in Summer and December), and you could be on EI during other times if you do not have other employment.
In regards to my experience at the larger Cobourg location, it is easily one of the worst employment experiences in my life. The store is controlled by top seniority full time workers who thrive on spite, complete individualism, preferential treatment, and bringing others down. If the Management is not actively engaging in these behaviours, they are supporting it through general incompetence, inaction, poor/no communication and granting unprecedented control to those toxic individuals. Good workers are being pushed to their limits to compensate and having to constantly fight through game playing, blatant mistreatment, cynicism, and physical harm due to repetitive strain from a lack of job rotation. While the Cobourg location is easily one of worst in terms of toxicity, it generally reflects the basic attitudes throughout the corporation (Head office is also extremely inefficient and continues with very outdated work models). Unfortunately, the Union is more of an hindrance then an aid, as several of these toxic individuals have taken that route to become store representatives. However, it is often clearly for their own protection and to allow manipulation of the system for their own individual wants.
Pros
Slightly higher pay for retail
Cons
Very weak and incompetent management; Undue physical and emotional stress; Toxic senior staff
fun work place
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Kincardine, ON14 September 2018
learned a lot about cashiering
very enjoyable place to work people are friendly
enjoyed helping customers and dealing with the public
staff/co-workers were patient, friendly willing to help new comers
Hardest part of the job was too many people giving orders
not being sure what was always expected of you
Fun place to work
Customer Service Representative / Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Various locations12 September 2018
Working at the LCBO was a rewarding experience. I especially enjoyed the holidays. The staff, for the most part, were very helpful and the customers were great.
Pros
Working with the public
Cons
Seniority system
productive calm working enviroment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 September 2018
Typical day was just restocking shelves with alcohol, and helping customers find their product they wanted. Nothing too hard. Management was very nice, never had a problem with managers or supervisors.
fun place
Customer Service representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 September 2018
A typical day at work would be cashing out people what I learned is learning when you should multitask I had an employer who would do numerous things at once but ended up being short on the cash so avoid that because customer are tricky and their not your friend