LCBO Employee Reviews

Disrespectful management
Labourer (Former Employee) –  London, ON19 March 2019
Great if you love having Overtime forced on you with threat of dismissal. The management plays favourites so dont expect to land a job without brown nosing, or being related to someone. Drama and negativity run rampant which makes for a very stressful work environment. The pay is not worth the level of disrespect that the operation managers will give you.
Pros
Cons
Unreasonable mandates
Day at work
Casual Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Espanola, Ontario13 March 2019
I would serve customers at the cash. I would stalk shelves and also unload trucks.
The atmosphere was friendly, the staff was very nice and easy to get along with. I loved the physical work and my co-workers and the customers.
Pros
A fun place to work
Cons
too much travelling
Busy.
Cashier, Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Buckhorn, ON10 March 2019
LCBO's all across Ontario are always busy and in need of people to work for them.
I got hurt at work this passed summer and my boss didn't even really believe me. I had to take time of work and it ended up really affecting me.
Its fun when you're working with fun people, and when you're in the back unloading skids and stacking carts.
Its very repetitive, everyday is the same old stuff. You either get a chance to get things done or you're stuck on cash and your shoulders feel like their bleeding. If you're caught standing doing "nothing" for even a minute you'll be written up. I don't like this place at all and I'm so happy I've left and I'm free.
Pros
Wage is high
Cons
WORST place ever
The Literal Worst
Staff Plus Employee (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON7 March 2019
Almost the entirety of the labour in this warehouse are from staffing agencies which allows them to underpay their employees with no benefits and you can fire them at anytime. The working conditions met the bare minimum of safety requirements and absolutely no consideration of the mental well being of any of their workers. The managers had awful attitudes toward the labourers as well, as they would deceive everyone to work harder by falsely insinuating that they may get hired and actually get decent wages and job security. Absolutely disgusting.
Pros
Cons
Exploitative, poor working conditions
It was fun learning about different alcohols from different countries.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  London, ON5 March 2019
Working at the LCBO was fun. Everyone was willing and able to take time to help me learn the ropes. Would have enjoyed staying longer. Manager was great and friendly.
Straight forward work and pay
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  London, Ontario3 March 2019
I was hired as a permanent casual Customer Service Representative. I agree with many comments that you work evenings and weekends, however that is what I anticipate in any retail environment so it is exactly as you would expect. As a casual with no other employment, you can work everyday of the week during especially busy times or you can ask for certain days off or times of day, i.e. no mornings because you volunteer/work elsewhere.

I have found the staff to be great - very friendly and willing to teach newbies. This includes the management. They have all been great.

My hours over the holidays were full time however, they have dropped down (as expected) to somewhere between 12 and 24 hours per week in Jan. to March. If I had to rely on this as my sole income, it would be hard but I do know that my rate of pay will go up with time and training. I also appreciate the union as it insures a consistent approach where the 'flavour of the month' does not get promoted at the expense of other hard working employees.

The work is straightforward - respond to customers, cash, stock, clean - and when you leave, it's done. No need to bring work home or be contacted after about things that happen in the store.

Customers are generally great! Only had one really grumpy one in over 7 months and I can't say that for any of my other jobs.

Benefits are pretty non-existent for casual but again, this is what I expected.

I think this job would be perfect for people who do not need full time employment income immediately but may wish to stick with the Board for years to come in
  more... order to have a professional job and middle class rate of income. It is also great for people later in their life who are not reliant on this as their sole source of money but it gives them extra $ and connection to others (much better than McD's or Tim's as your wages will actually go up over time. Also no 24 hour stores!).  less
Pros
Professional environment, leave work at work.
Cons
Mostly evenings & weekends.
Productive and fun work enviroment. Love working with the public
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Fergus, ON12 February 2019
Daily
Opened store, filed the paperwork from previous day. Balanced safe and set up tills for coworkers. I am always learning new things and helping others if they need me to help them figure it out.
Pros
Helping people
Cons
Long shifts
Great Part-time gig
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, ON10 February 2019
Hours to inconsistent to rely on, new pay grid is a joke and the union does not care about its workers. However, this is a great part-time job while in school. Good pay for the work you do.
Pros
Inconsistent Hours
Cons
Good Pay
Fun workplace
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 February 2019
Great company to work for, would not mind going back, simple regular customer service work, if you know customer service you should be good at this job
Pros
great team memebers
Cons
temporay work
great company
senior systems analyst (Former Employee) –  senior systems analyst8 February 2019
Great company to work for especailly if you want to learn more about the liquor business and I.T. and working for the Canadian government in Toronto, Ontario.
absolute worst place Ive ever worked
Warehouse Worker (Current Employee) –  London, ON6 February 2019
they treat you like absolute garbage. the staff is NOT friendly. they force you to work so much overtime that having any type of life from may-sept is impossible. december we worked 22 days straight. january everyone is laid off and with the promise of a renewed contract which is a lie. they pay $15 an hour and it isnt worth 5. most hostile environment i have ever been in. after the lay off they also neglected to file our records of employment and therefore the majority of us were postponed or denied EI. i highly recommend running as far as you can and never looking back on this disgusting hole.
Pros
Cons
everything
Seasonal Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON4 February 2019
I worked as a seasonal customer rep during December.
It was quite busy but pretty fun; the staff was always willing to help us new employees as there is a lot to know. Management is professional and pleasant.
Cons
Heavily intoxicated customers can be intimidating but you get the hang of it
Was a decent job till our own union messed it up
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Ajax, ON31 January 2019
Great job if your young and in school .. if you have children and need a good paying job this is not the place to be. It takes forever for a raise and you are treated like the help.
Pros
Cons
Short shifts no days off for a decent check
Golden Handcuffs
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON31 January 2019
It's afar too easy to get locked into this place, with the higher pay, flexible schedules and simple work. It's almost too good to be true. Unfortunately the long term outlook and ability to create some semblance of a work life balance is completely non-existent.
good
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON30 January 2019
Good employers, although there is issues with theft and their lacklustre care when it comes to trying to tackle that sort of problem, but oh well. nothing you can do
Overall great job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON19 January 2019
It was only seasonal but i had fun working with the people there and we all worked hard during the busy holidays and made more money then last year. All customers were served in a appropriate time and they all left the store satisfied and with what they came for.
Have worked with LCBO as Fixed term since 2015 and was hired perm in 2017. Really no difference then fixed. They work you to the core through Holidsys
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Niagara Peninsula, ON19 January 2019
I've worked as a Fixed term since 2015 and hired as Perm in 2017. Not much difference from fixed term, they work you to the core through the Holidays and then you receive No hours until the next holiday! Quite upsetting to say the least.
Cons
No hours
Great Place to Work
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON17 January 2019
A lot of cashier work and the potential for advancement is their but tough. Wage is good and the people are friendly but sometimes customers can get out of hand in the environment.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Weekend availability
A good place to work... if you are full time and have a good manager
LCBO (Former Employee) –  GTA, ON14 January 2019
This is a good company to work for if you have a good manager. The reality is that if you are in a store, you will be casual for 13-15+ YEARS unless you have French language skills. Head office you can become full time much quicker, maybe with 3+ years. Everything is seniority based because of the union. Once you are full time, benefits are amazing, 15 days vacation and 15 sick days in a year that roll over in January. You virtually have no benefits until you have been with the company for 5 years, or are full time. If you are casual and you have been with the company for 5 years and work a certain amount of hours in a year, you qualify for dental benefits and that is it... but at least it is 100%. Management generally does not seem to care about staff, especially in Head Office. HR is all for management and how to benefit/help them. This is the kind of company where you do as you are told, keep your head down and work. You will basically never have a free weekend for as long as you are casual. Casuals are not guaranteed hours, so you can experience an entire month/months off if your store does not have hours for you (slow times of year, ie, February). You can pick up shifts at other stores, but that is also seniority based. The CEO is very nice.
Pros
Good once you are full time
Cons
Terrible benefits unless you are full time, no guarantee of hours, little care from management
warehouse floor
Wearhouse worker (Former Employee) –  London13 January 2019
Working on the end of the line to helping pick the case. I would help build skids that will be shipped out that day or the next day for shipment in a fast and order time.