LCBO Employee Reviews

Canada579 reviews
Great environment but advancement takes forever
Great place to work. Management is very relaxed and understanding. Advancement is nearly impossible. Need 8+ years for consistent full-time hours and benefits.
Pros
Tastings, great learning experience, fun environment
Cons
Hard the advance
Schedule was a nightmare
I have worked for a lot of places, from mom and pop shops to giant hotel chains, and never had such unorganized management. I was treated like an on-call employee—often being asked to work just HOURS before a shift began. The schedule is by seniority, but that doesn't excuse not scheduling new people and then just randomly calling them throughout the week, expecting them to be available. There were also two times I was told I missed a shift, which has never happened to me at any workplace before—leading me to believe they added shifts to the schedule after it was posted, without informing me of the change. The pay is good for a retail position but honestly, I quit after a month.
Pays the bills
Approx. 15 years to full time hours in Toronto. Casual/part time hours based on senority in your store. Can be transfered without reason at anytime and hours lost. Managers told to only offer minimum hours per shift and force work 6-7 days a week for all part time workers. Short shifts are common of 4-5 hours.
Fast paced atmosphere, great staff!
I was lucky enough to work in Oakville during the Christmas period. Great staff. It was hard work but a lot of fun. I dealt with cash, restocking and tidying the store and helping customers with selections, returns and/or complaints.
Very productive and challenging IT environment.
Very productive and challenging IT environment. LCBO is the Ontario government's own retail corporation with seven hundred retail outlets all over Ontario
Cons
24 x7 support
Collaborative, Productive, Positive
Working at the LCBO as a seasonal worker was a very positive experience for me, and one of the most rewarding "cashier" jobs one could have.

They only negatives I would say about the LCBO is that it is too deep-rooted in unions, so people with high seniority tend to take advantage of their job and pay scale.

However, as a student or somebody who wants a seasonal job, it is almost ideal
Better than a supermarket cashier, just
Hours are very variable for new hires, sometimes 40 hours/week, sometimes 10. Often called in on same day. If you need to rely on this for money to live it may not work for you. No benefits, poor training, zero career guidance if you decide you like the work.

If you are doing it as a seasonal job (Xmas, summer, etc.) the hourly wage is above average, just, but you need to work Fri, Sat, Sun to qualify.

The work is as boring as it sounds - cash, stocking, etc. - everyone does a little of everything but new hires will be mostly on cash.
Relaxed positive experience for me
Most of the stores that I have worked at were a positive experience. It is a union shop so that needs to factor into your thinking. Seniority place a big part in the duties you are assigned as well as the number of hours you get.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at LCBO?
Productive and fun workplace
I really enjoyed working at the LCBO.The employees and management staff are very nice, helpful and made me feel a part of their team. The most enjoyable part is meeting and interacting different people. The hardest part was when the Christmas rush was at its max and trying to keep every customer in a the holiday spirit.
Fun Environment, cool staff.
Decent pay and supportive work environment. When you begin working at the job your hours fluctuate and that can create a difficult work-life balance, but the people are fun.
Pros
Fun people and one less stop on the way home.
Cons
On-call when first hired. Difficult work-life balance.
Best job ever!
I couldnt carry on as a casual employee with a young child. I loved working here. My co-workers were amazing. We were a great team. I needed more hours than the store was able to provide.
Sr Management created a toxic environment
VPs in the IT department are two-faced and unreasonably demanding. Such a poisoned environment, esp the VP of IT business development and VP of Infrastructure.
Fair Pay, Decent Hours, Excellent Management
Working over the holidays meant lots of customer volume and lots of product moving. It led to a sometimes fast paced day and we were never bored.

Management was excellent and the majority of my coworkers were friendly, helpful, and hard working.
Good pay, awful management
The work is honest and physically demanding, the pay is well and the hours are long. The full timers look at the fixed term workers as nothing and have their own cliques
Seasonal relief worker
A typical day during the busy time, was fast and slow at times. I enjoyed working there but I didn't like leaving the store late at night, sometimes very sketchy set of people would be there. But the team would always walk out together if they were closing up. for safety reasons
Peggy my manager was very nice outgoing person who took the time to train us in giving good customer service!
The Bala store was a fun place to work over the summer ! Busy place customer were always in a happy mood. It was managed very well. Small but easy store to restock.
Pros
Customer were very to serve
Cons
It was just for the summer
No hours...
Working your way up the chain of commands is a long hard battle, had one shift in 6 months after the Christmas rush. If your store has high segniorty employees you'll end up fighting for the scraps they leave behind.
No chance at a full time position
Unless you're the store manager, you won't get full time and your hours may be unpredictable at times. Quite stressful as the expectations exceeds the available work hours. They constantly cut back hours. Be prepared to work extra unpaid time as well
Productive and fun team mates
Productive and fun teammates to work with. The job gets hard during the festive season of November and December. A good learning experience and the manager including the acting managers are very helpful.
Poor training
Senior staff all seem to be bickering among each other . For seasonal working, when weeks go by without hours they did nt have alot of patience if you forgot how to do something.
Poor Working Enivronment and Management
I was hired as a Seasonal Customer Service Representative over the holiday season. I was promised that I would be placed on cash, but that couldn't be further from the truth. I ended up working at a warehouse, doing the night shift re-stocking shelves with the management constantly lecturing me on the pettiest thing. This was a toxic environment and the hardest part of the job was the repetitive strain and awkward positions that I have put myself in just to acomplish the task.
Pros
Inclusive lunch at training, seeing new products on the shelves, and tastings
Cons
Long hours on the night shift, repetitive strains re-stocking, and co-workers assuming that you know the layout of the store