LCBO Employee Reviews

never a dull moment
Customer service representative (Current Employee) –  Vankleek Hill, ON19 December 2018
I spend my time at work, receiving loads, stocking shelves, serving customers at the cash and also asking customers if help is needed and offer advice on spirit and wine purchases.
The hardest part of the job is the manual labor involved when receiving beer and liquor loads. It is all done by hand.
I enjoy interacting with the customers.
Pros
spirit and wine sampling, great co-workers and customers
Cons
manual labor in regards to receiving loads
Recommend working here
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON13 January 2019
Started off as a fix term (seasonal) and was lucky to get rolled over as a causal. I love my time working at the LCBO. I started without much alcohol knowledge, but after a few months I have learned a crazy amount. My coworkers are amazing and extremely friendly! Never hesitate to answer questions I have for them. Only downside is how long it takes to become full-time. And it’s all about seniority so depending on where you are your hours will reflect that. So I suggest a second job!
Pros
Great management, friendly atmosphere, great hoursat seasonal times of the year
Cons
Long time to advance, bad hours at certain months depending on seniority
Great place to work.
LCBO Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Dwight, ON6 November 2018
LCBO was a great place to work. The staff ,the customers were fun to deal with. You always had new things to learn and do and management were very supportive and were eager to advise. The hardest part of the job is when I had to retire as I valued every day I put in knowing I made a difference to someone. In Dwight where I managed I always looked forward to summer as it was a tourist area and seeing everyone again. It was a great time in my life and would reccommend anyone to enjoy the experiences I did.
Pros
advancement, working with great people, fun inspiring.
Cons
none that I had.
Good benefit package, looks good on resume short term, do not plan to stay long.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 October 2018
This is a good place to start out your career. It looks good on a resume, but do not plan to stay long term. They have no loyalty to their long time employees, and the pay is scale is dictated by the whim of the government. Salaries are routinely frozen in terms of increases. They expect you to work hard for very little recognition or reward. There is a do more with less culture here. They do not promote on merit.
Pros
Good Benefits Package
Cons
No Loyalty
A culture of unreasonable expectations
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Ontario1 October 2018
Store Managers are held accountable to unreasonable expectations around staff productivity, but unionized staff cannot be held accountable to basic performance levels. Escalating performance management for unionized staff consists of letters and more letters, but never dismissal for poor performance or for not being able to meet the basic of expectations.
Pros
Relative job security
Cons
Unreasonable expectations for Store Managers
immense growth opportunities
Lead Senior Programmer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 October 2018
I had an amazing experience at KCBO - very professional environment with high learning culture. It has immense growth opportunities. My experience at LCBO was wonderful in terms of learning, growth, and fun. My boss gave me a chance to explore other IT function by taking different projects and also work cross-functionally to learn more about business.
Enjoyed the job, no security
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Port Burwell, ON1 October 2018
I really enjoyed working for the LCBO, and the ability to pick up shifts at other locations if available. It was very hard to only work at the LCBO because there was no guaranteed hours, and sometimes you would be called in with a few hours notice so it would be hard to make arrangements with a second job. Good for someone whos looking for PT.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
No commitment
Wonderful experience meeting and providing assistance to a variety of consumers.
Seasonal Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Honey Harbour, ON20 September 2018
Great organization that provides excellent training, fun work environment and job diversification in a seasonal community focusing on exceeding customer expectations.
Pros
Job diversification and customer interaction.
Cons
Potential for long hours in a part time seasonal job .
Cashier seasonal
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, ON29 September 2018
Absolutely loved it! On your feet entire shift but happy Xmas shoppers.... Raised funds for sick kids foundation... Customers generous at Christmastime ... Met many wonderful people and adored our store manager... Fun work environment!
Pros
Busy, great employees, pay is above par
Cons
Crazy busy christmas eve lol, difficult to get hired on due to unionization and seniority
fun work place
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Kincardine, ON14 September 2018
learned a lot about cashiering
very enjoyable place to work people are friendly
enjoyed helping customers and dealing with the public
staff/co-workers were patient, friendly willing to help new comers
Hardest part of the job was too many people giving orders
not being sure what was always expected of you
Productive, Wine/Beer/Spirit Tastings, Education Training, Steady.
Customer Service Representative (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON2 August 2018
Formerly Part-time Customer Service Representative. It was a fun job to work at. Great co-works (at times), Great Managers (depending on the store). Loved the Reps coming in and providing knowledge on either wine, beer or spirit. Product and Service Knowledge testing which accounts for your pay raise. LCBO provides in-house Smart Serve training to handle and sell alcohol. Baler training and Palet Training. LCBO provides Continual Educational Training, but not all employees know this! Always check your hours!!!

Overall, a great place to work depending on store and employees!!!
Pros
Great place to work.
Cons
High theft, abuse from customers.
Great company to be working for with lots of interesting facts to learn about the products sold.
Customer Service Representivitive (Current Employee) –  Maple, ON23 October 2018
Appreciative to be apart of a company where I have learned so much and surrounded by such great coworkers. Hardest part of the job is you have to sacrifice long-weekends and holidays.
Great Company to be employed by
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Chelmsford, ON7 September 2018
Worked part time at LCBO while working full time at Gateway Casinos. I worked with a great Manager and my co workers were great. Working with customers was fun and a great experience to have that change from the Surveillance Supervisor position that was my main employment.
Pros
Great Manager to work with
Cons
No Cons
No benefits of working here
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 August 2018
This is a terrible place to work. You can go from 37 hours one week to 5 the next. Shifts are 4-5 hours at a time so if you're driving from a distance it's not even worth it. The only pro is the pay is good but other than that NO full time. NO hours some weeks. NO discounts. NO benefits. Go somewhere that you can get full time hours or have a chance of moving up in a company.
Pros
Pay
Cons
No benefits, no hours, no respect
Steady and consistent work with weekly pay
Warehouse labourer (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON13 January 2019
Steady and consistent work with weekly pay. Met good people (co-workers/supervisor) and learned a lot of relevant life skills. Good atmosphere with helping hands.
Pros
consistent, good location and weekly pay
Cons
non flexible hours
lcbo
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON6 August 2018
I worked there 8 years and still got 4 hour shifts and they expect you to stay last minute for a longer shift. Never got full benefits that takes 11-14 years. Start at $2 over minimum wage. Goes up slowly. Bad managers that do your job so you get less hours. Union does not help. New staff get hours no one else wants and you will be called to other stores if someone calls in sick. Impossible to work at the store that is closest to you, they put you where they want.1st few years you will be a cashier, Have to work as christmas/summer helper 1st to get in to lcbo. As a fixed term then if they like you . you then become a casual, and then you work 11-14 years and become full time but need to apply for position. Staff back stab you and I learned to trust no one. not a good place to work.
Pros
nothing
Cons
non paid half hour lunch, back breaking repetative work
Warehouse duties
Warehouse Worker (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 September 2018
This is a government job with benefits and pension. I've been with the company for ten years, but I'm ready for a new challenge.
I've worked hard to achieve my position and am proud of my work ethic.
Pros
Benefits, pension, possibility for advancement
Cons
Not enough teamwork
Lcbo
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Stayner, ON27 September 2018
Government job, well paying job, six and seven day work weeks.
Some shifts can be as little as 2 hours for management lunch relief.
Not much room for advancement.
Obtaining full time status not likely.
Most enjoyable part of the job, people.
Refer to my resume.
Mixed bag
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Hensall, ON12 August 2018
Casual part timers are employed entirely at the discretion of the LCBO.

Precarious work with zero guarantee of hours.

Major differences between retail locations as to quantity of work availabl

Working conditions are good with an emphasis on health & safety issues.

Internal online training is good.
fun place
Customer Service representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 September 2018
A typical day at work would be cashing out people what I learned is learning when you should multitask I had an employer who would do numerous things at once but ended up being short on the cash so avoid that because customer are tricky and their not your friend