Lawtons Drugs Employee Reviews

busy location
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Bedford, NS1 February 2019
how to handle cash working with the general public.
standing for very long periods of time was hard but you got use to it.
manager was really nice.
everybody seamed to get along and was friendly
Pros
getting along with staff
Cons
lot of standing
No Room to Grow
SHIFT SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Glace Bay, NS30 August 2018
Loved my fellow employees

Only real downside is that sobeys
doesnt provide enough training to store management

They also don't promote from within

Head office is very cliquey

The wages are ridiculous
Pros
Employees become family, fun work environment
Cons
Horrible wages, near impossible to grow within the company
High energy, stressful environment
Pharmacy Assistant (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  New Glasgow, NS13 August 2018
Working in a high energy, busy environment for the past few years has been very rewarding and has taught me a lot of new skills. The people I have worked with have helped me learn a lot about myself as well as the medicine. Management can be improved but are very easy to get along with.
First job
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS29 October 2018
This was my first job, I advanced through pretty much every position the company has. It was a great experience, they treated me really well and I learned a lot over the years I worked for the company.
overall good work environment , but salary not match work required
Assistant Supervisor Of Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS23 July 2018
best part of my job is the people i meet everyday. there isn't any room for advancement or wage increase. It is not a career, its a job.
hoping to find something different, and learning new skills.
Meh.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS12 January 2019
They "promoted" a few people to the role of a supervisor so there wouldn't only be one person who could do returns. No benefits or an increase in pay.
No training or support, be prepared to work alone, no teamwork
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Halifax Regional Municipality, NS19 June 2018
Gave it 6 years of my life, learnt new things but the frustration was just too much from very very poor leadership. Felt like I worked for a mom and pop company, did not ask for feedback and only interested when things went wrong.
Pros
Benefits and pension
Cons
Leadership and wages
On the job training
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL20 June 2018
When I finished the paper work at compucollege I went to on the job training for 4 weeks. It was very excited to be at Lawton's . To watch and learn customer service as well as taking prescription and entering them on the computer.
Pros
Teaching on the job training
Productive and educational workplace
Pharmacy Assistant/Student (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL29 April 2018
I have been working for the company for a few years now as a student and it has provided me with so many learning opportunities that have helped me further my education.
Fun to work at, great people
Cashier, Customer service, Stocking (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS17 April 2018
this place is a great place to work at, people are great and management was great. Employees were treated the same and never downed, it was like a family.
Fun workplace with good management
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS6 February 2018
Workplace is a good environment with friendly customers and good management in place. The hardest part of the job is sometimes working extra long weeks in order to get stuff done due to short staff.
Clean and leisurely work environment
Cosmetologist (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NB13 February 2018
Working at Lawton's, I had a clean workplace environment and I worked alongside some fascinating people with various stories and backgrounds. I gained a lot of experience dealing with the public.
Just don't.
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Clayton Park, NS11 October 2018
Over the 3 years I worked at Lawtons; I was harassed and discrimated against for a mental disorder, was told that the disorder doesn't exist, and then was threatened to lose my job if I couldn't "get a handle on my social issues." This was all after I asked a question, for another employee who didn't feel comfortable, about our Christmas party location. I had contacted HR, who then decided to call the front store manager and say that I was slandering my supervisor. So I got written up for "lowering company morale." I transfered to a different location, only to find out that the pharmacy and front store employees were basically at war and hated each other. Pharmacy, including the head pharmacist, proceeded to insult and gossip about front store staff in front of customers in a completely unacceptable manner. At this location I was led to believe on 4 separate occasions that I would be getting a promotion, one of the times ending in my supervisor telling me the job isn't around anymore, that the company was "phasing it out". Next week, a co-worker of mine was promoted to that position. It's a high school bullying-ground for people who never grew up. I could go on for hours about how messed up this company is.

TLDR: if you expect basic human decency or want to be treated fairly, don't work for this company. What a waste of my time and effort.
Pros
Coworkers were fun, that's it.
Cons
Horrible management, horrible HR reps, they don't care about you as an employee. Everything.
A very nice place to work
Home Health Care Consultant (Former Employee) –  Yarmouth, NS6 November 2017
I worked here part time as my youngest child was just a toddler at the time and my partner worked out of the province.

The management and staff were very friendly and supportive and they treated me like family. I would highly recommend this job to anyone as they are a very good company to work for.
Pros
Company discount card
Cons
Lots of nights for part timers
good place to work
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Yarmouth, NS21 September 2017
Start with getting cash trays and lotto ready for cashiers , designate jobs to employees, get deposit ready, make signs, check what is coming up on sale, help where needed, be able to solve problems
Learned to price file, place orders, provide great customer service,do planagrams,receive stock, management provided help when needed and staff had good morale.Hardest part was a lot of multitasking because of few staff, but always got done.Most enjoyable were the people.
Pros
good hours, helpful co-workers
Cons
salary not enough
Have nothing good to say about working for lawtons
Cosmetician (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS19 September 2017
This place was the worst place of employement for me .. my cosmetic manager was very two faced and never spoke about me kindly . Did not treat me with any respect. Would talk about me to other employees on the floor . I worked as a beauty advisor. I ended up having to call human resources on her . I was to the point where I had to force myself to go there everyday until I found other employment..But it honestly made things worse lol . I would not recommend working for Lawson's ... pay is terrible for all the tasks u do as a cosmetician. And the employee discount is no better lol
Pros
No pros
decent workplace
cashier and customer assistance (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL26 January 2018
Overall it wasn't the worst job experience. I did enjoy most of the staff and found everyone for the most part was helpful and understanding. More or less a fantastic work place.
Fun place
Store Supervisor/cashier (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL2 February 2018
Staff were amazing it was a fun job never a dull moment management was great and they treated staff well. Very appreciative of their staff and showed a lot of respect
Pros
Fun
Cons
Low pay
fairly good experience
Pharmacy Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Waterford, NS28 January 2018
very busy pharmacies , fast paced yet enjoyable. Close relationship with our clients . Great people whom I would go above and beyond in order to help .
Lawtons Bayers Road
Cashier/shift supervisor (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS11 August 2017
Cashier, sales floor and supervising
I learned how to process the daily functions in a cash office
Management was very willing to provide training
Culture there was a team
Processing/blancing other cashiers daily cash drawers
Enjoyable was meeting and assisting the customers
Pros
Discount
Cons
None that I can think of