Laurier Optical Employee Reviews

fun workplace, learned a lot
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON31 January 2019
it a very fine place to work the manager is a very sweet lady learned a lot regarding sales & buissness . friendly environment i am currently looking for jobs in health or retail related sectors for a better future
Great customers
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON16 October 2018
I learned many customer service skills, how to deal with different types of people and how to make them happy.
Management was somewhat disrespectful but did want me to be my best.
The hardest part was to please every customer, with a somewhat disorganized system.
I really enjoyed meeting new people, to hear their stories and make their time at Laurier Optical an unforgettable one.
Horribly managed company
Bookkeeper/Accountant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON17 July 2018
Horribly managed company, accounting section was in chaos when I joined. I was barely trained but given odd work to do, that never really was needed. But slowly was given importance.
Professional job with great future
Regional Manager (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON15 March 2018
I have been working at Laurier Optical last five years; company has new owners since 2018 and they are holding great professionalism; I do understand all bad comments and reputation are coming from previous owner but those days are gone and Laurier optical is offering a great deal of opportunity for optometrist and opticians.

With all good changes at Laurier Optical stores; we have new professional staff, amazing designer frames and excelling on customer service; I will kindly ask all Ottawans to go visit Laurier Optical locations and see how things are way better.

Professional Management is already proven itself on effective store operations, employee and customer satisfaction.

Enjoy your new Laurier optical store.
Cons
full time - part - time jobs available with training
No job security, Called at last minute to fill shifts, no benefits
Optometrist Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON9 September 2017
The staff were friendly and always there to assist each other when needed. Management unapproachable. No job security. Huge turn over of staff.
I set up the Optical Clinic to perfection and then was let to go to be replaced by someone who would work for less money than me.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
No job security. Huge turnover with staff.
Terrible management, which fails to keep its promises
Clinical Assistant/ Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON5 July 2017
My review is for Laurier Optical in Carlingwood Mall for the Clinical Assistant/ Sales Associate position:
- Do not work there, as top management promises salary increase before hiring you, but once you're hired, you're stuck with that salary.
- There is no feedback from top management, they never answer your inquiries either through phone or email.
- Customers are never happy because their orders are not delivered at time and sales associates have to deal with their frustration.
My recommendation is to stay away from that company!
Pros
free parking, flexible hours, good colleagues, good store managers
Cons
poor management, employees keep resigning, no life-work balance, top managers never keep their promise
Very exciting opportunity
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON30 May 2017
I enjoyed working with my staff at Laurier Optical. The head office staff were always helpful and it was a pleaurse to deal with them. I also enjoyed my interaction with our main supplier of lenses.
wasnt very fun
Medical Clerk, Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON18 May 2017
wasn't a great place to work. Kept changing all the rules, and you never knew what was coming next.
loved the clients of course, loved my job and also loved running the eye clinic
It was quite an eye-opener to work for a leading chain of Opticals in and around Ottawa
Book Keeper (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON2 March 2017
The working atmosphere was just about ok . The hardest part was to cope with the whims of the CEO but it was a rewarding experience to work under their Finance Manager
Always exciting!
Manager (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON11 November 2016
Laurier Optical is a family oriented company and will work with anyone to help them grow as an individual and employee. Focused on building customer service at a great price. Management will work with you to achieve your goals and continuously move up within the company.
Pros
Many store locations, friendly coworkers, professional environment as it is retail mixed with medical
Productive and fun place
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON10 November 2016
Everyday is a different day with meeting new people and providing great customer service. Always fun to go and work with new challenges .
I learned a lot there how to overcome objections and especially how to react .
Belleville Review
Sales Associate/Opticican (Current Employee) –  Belleville, ON8 November 2016
Obviously many of the previous reviews have not had the pleasure of working in the Belleville location. I have worked for Laurier Optical for the last 16 years and have been treated with nothing but courtesy and respect. The working environment in the Belleville location is and has been nothing but enjoyable hence 16 years of employment. I would recommend employment in this location to any potential candidate. Staff, management and customers are always a pleasure.
professional and great work place
Laboratory technician (Current Employee) –  aylmer quebec12 August 2016
you get to serve clients with different needs so it's always a challenge to find the perfect pair of glasses for them. The co-workers are fun and its always a good experience to interact with clients. the hardest part of the job is to get everything structured from finishing a clients file to analyze there lenses then bring them in the pretest room then get them to the doctor then finally try and sell them a pair of glasses while clients keep coming in.
Pros
experience
Cons
sit all day
Awful workplace and management
Sales Associate & Medical Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON9 August 2016
The best part of this job was the people I worked with. The CEO is a psychopath and there is no job security. Employees are constantly threatened and transferred around to different locations. Extremely unprofessional work environment.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
Management, salary
Productive workplace, with great teamwork
Sub-Contractor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON11 July 2016
The nights we have worked overnight, it went better than expected because of the team we had working. Their is no I in team and it would be impossible to renovate a store by yourself. When renovating a store in a mall, along comes a lot of rules and regulations that need to be followed. And the team we had, certainly did that with no problems.
An absolute nightmare
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON2 June 2016
If you like being screamed at, demeaned, discriminated against, and berated for poor performance when you're provided no training whatsoever yet expected to excel, and you're a big fan of micro-management in a psycholigically toxic work environment that's full of mistrust, mistruths and misinformation, then this is the perfect job for you. Otherwise, run away and never look back.
Pros
Will hire anyone
Cons
Too many to list
just don't bother
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Kanata, ON6 May 2016
what others are saying about this place been useless is true they don't care about you and don't provide coaching to correct when they feel u not doing what they want u to do.
I invested my time to really learn the wrk just to had been fired for no reason.
Pros
paid lunch break
Cons
management
Sad, dishonest place to work
clinic/sales (Former Employee) –  Kanata, ON2 January 2016
Family owned, and poorly managed.
Dishonest
I was dismissed without reason, long after my 3 month probation period
Untrustworthy.
Great since day one.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Ottawa2 October 2015
Enjoying working here since my first day. There is awesome coworkers, always someone ready to give you a hand if needed.
Pros
Great coworkers
Cons
Short-staffed
positive and a friendly atmosphere with different cultures and backgrounds
Assistant-Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON18 September 2015
I have been a manager for 5 years, and an assistant manager for 2 years of my career. I have supervised at least 15 staff members at my job, and the hardest part of the job was when I had to get rid of specific employees what were not suitable for the company. The most enjoyable part of the job was growing as a team in order to reach our company's goal.
Pros
access to technology in order to help clients faster
Cons
did not have a backup system for patient reports