Laurentian University Employee Reviews

Contract only, never permanent
Social Work Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON18 June 2018
I was responsible for determine my schedule, which is great to balance with life, but there was no work space available so I had to travel between meetings on campus and working from home.
Instructional Designer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 May 2018
Friendly management and workplace culture; trust in employees; solid compensation package. Job security is so-so: great if you're working in a F/T permanent position, but essentially none if you are not.
Flexible, self-managed work
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON3 May 2018
The position was a requirement for my degree. It provided flexible work hours and interesting research work. I was given clear instructions on how to complete daily tasks.
Excellent
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON17 April 2018
The people i work with are amazing its a great team that works well together and are there to help you when needed and appreciate the work you do for them.
Easy to balance with school
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON12 April 2018
Management is very considerate about balancing work hours with class work. School is the priority and this is made known by management. I would recommend this for a student job.
good
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Current Employee) –  Sudbury, Ontario7 March 2018
Laurentian is a friendly environment to spend your days working and enjoying the staff companionship without feeling tired. Teaching assistant job is a good opportunity to learn.
Fun and engaging workplace
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sudbury, ON23 February 2018
Great place to study geology (both undergrad and grad)! Very friendly colleagues and professors, who will always do what they can to help you and make your experience here a great one.
teaching assistant job
CO-OP (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON19 December 2017
It was a teaching assistant position, and it was part-time, but great experience. i had the opportunity to invigilate exams and present information to the class - felt a little more prepared than I did prior to taking on this position while working on my graduate studies.
Good focus on academic improvement
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON15 December 2017
Job responsibilities vary depending on the desires of your supervisor. Focus on improvement of academic abilities to aid in your own personal goals. Flexible hours and good pay.
Pros
Flexible hours, good pay
Cons
Great Experience, underpaid for amount of work put in
Residence Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sudbury20 November 2017
Heavily underpaid for hours put in. Paid for 15.5 hours per week for a job where you are on call 24/7. Job is extremely rewarding in regards to building a great community in residence with the floor you are living on, but very difficult when dealing with serious issues such as mental health, homesickness, anxiety, roommate conflicts. Not in it for the money but for the experience so no regrets whatsoever in accepting the job offer.
Challenging
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON22 September 2017
My experience with Laurentian University was challenging. Working at a satellite office, we were often forgot about so employees were left to manage on their own. I suspect it would be a different experience on the main campus.
Good workplace
Tour Guide, Library Employee (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ON30 August 2017
I worked at Laurentian University for 5 years under different jobs, had a good experience, accommodating with school, salary good for a student, does not demean student employees as some public jobs do. Highly recommend working there.
Average University
Human Resources Department, File Clerk (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON16 June 2017
Great for parties not so great for higher education
Came away with a degree but not a useful one
if you need a school to go to that you can party at more than your need to go to class this is it
Kind Workers
Student Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON7 June 2017
Very kind people, eager to teach anyone anything they need to know. Fairly patient staff while able to keep to a schedule and complete tasks and events in an orderly fashion. Great work community.
Pros
Flexible hours
Fun workplace
Lead exam Manager (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON1 June 2017
Managing exams and being in charge of staff and students during exam periods. Dropping off exams and returning them at the end of each exam session back to specific departments.
Exactly as Advertised
Database Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ON8 May 2017
The job was exactly what I expect. It was data entry for the university advancement department in the alumni department. The job was simple, repetitive, and tedious. The community was welcoming and enjoyable but the work itself was deadening.
Pros
Great Community
Cons
Painfully Boring and Repetitive
Intramurals Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON25 April 2017
Laurentian is a really wonderful place to work as a student and get some extra income. Everyone is friendly and people are willing to support you and help you learn new things.
Fun, rewarding
Peer Mentor (Current Employee) –  Sudbury, ON26 February 2017
Being a part of the residence staff is a very demanding position, it entails many responsibilities, some of which are, to create a comfortable environment where students of all ages and educational status can live. Among these responsibilities, I believe that the most pivotal role of the residence staff is to act as a pillar for the safe and welcoming community that is residence life. Without the dedicated staff that work tirelessly to harbour this safe and committed environment the atmosphere would be much different
Decent job, hard work.
Housekeeper/Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON19 February 2017
A typical day at work was decent. The day was spent cleaning various dorms/apartments. Depending on the building, we would sometimes work without air-conditioning, though we always had a couple of fans running to help us cool down. The breaks and lunch-breaks were good. The people are friendly and easy to work with. I'd say the hardest part of the job was working in a non-air-conditioned building on a really hot day. The most enjoyable part of the job would have been working all day on a single room.
Pros
Good people, relaxing working environment, exercise
Cons
Slightly long hours, the heat
Great place to work!
Traditional Resource Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON4 December 2016
Enjoy working with the Elders and work on a great team. I am always learning something new every day! The Elders are a hoot to work with, lots of humour and great workshops.
Pros
great hours!