Laurentian University Employee Reviews

Great
Research Assistant for Student Affairs (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ON27 May 2019
Great overall experience. As I was a student, it would have been nice to receive campus discounts at the book store or at the cafeteria. I worked in the student affairs department.
Fun staff with student employees
OUA Gameday Event Staff (Current Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON5 February 2019
While working with the gameday staff, management did a great job of keeping everything organised while still maintaining a fun workplace for students.
Very excitong place to work.
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON21 January 2019
Team work is excellent and resources available to work with.
Tutorial sessions were very exciting with students constantly making significant contributions. Great environment.
Pros
Assitance always provided when required
Cons
Extended period of work required sometimes due to nature of research
Contract work on one project
Programmer/Network Technician (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON20 January 2019
I was part of a team that set up a LAN for the Physics Olympics. The work was with hardware as well as software. It was fun work for a summer. I would do it again.
Organising workspace
Office Helper (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON21 November 2018
Great place to get my school community hours. Manager was great, and I enjoy cleaning and organizing. Great surroundings with other workers. good hours.
Pros
hours are great
Cons
nothing
Great team
Online Programs Manager Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ON13 October 2018
I worked there for a year and had a great team. I was part time but they ampted up my hours when they could which was appreciated. I learned a lot while on this job.
Nice work environment
IT Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON20 September 2018
Good place to work overall.
Good pay and benefits
Union - Not the greatest. Willing to make changes for entire community but not too good at assisting individuals
Very good people to work with
Department management is excellent and knowledgable
Upper management???
No way of advancement within department
Constant complaint is that they have no money...
Very flexible in allowing RA's to work from home
Research Assistant/Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON16 August 2018
I worked very closely one-on-one with a professor while also doing independent research. There was a lot of formalities to go through when beginning work because you have to complete all of their WHMIS, workplace discrimination, etc.
Amazing School
Liaison Guide (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON12 July 2018
A school with close and personal classes. The school taught me a lot and aloud to me work a flexible schedule that worked with my classes schedule and other work schedules.
Contract only, never permanent
Social Work Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON18 June 2018
I was responsible for determine my schedule, which is great to balance with life, but there was no work space available so I had to travel between meetings on campus and working from home.
Engaging and open workplace
Senior Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ON17 May 2018
My workplace was an open space where I felt comfortable taking on new challenging tasks knowing management would support me. The most rewarding part of the job was seeing the difference I made in student's lives and being able to help someone in need whether it be unlocking a door for them or helping them get resources in a crisis. The hardest part was wanting to help someone when they did not want to help themselves.
Instructional Designer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 May 2018
Friendly management and workplace culture; trust in employees; solid compensation package. Job security is so-so: great if you're working in a F/T permanent position, but essentially none if you are not.
Flexible, self-managed work
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON3 May 2018
The position was a requirement for my degree. It provided flexible work hours and interesting research work. I was given clear instructions on how to complete daily tasks.
Excellent
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON17 April 2018
The people i work with are amazing its a great team that works well together and are there to help you when needed and appreciate the work you do for them.
Easy to balance with school
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON12 April 2018
Management is very considerate about balancing work hours with class work. School is the priority and this is made known by management. I would recommend this for a student job.
good
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Current Employee) –  Sudbury, Ontario7 March 2018
Laurentian is a friendly environment to spend your days working and enjoying the staff companionship without feeling tired. Teaching assistant job is a good opportunity to learn.
Fun and engaging workplace
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sudbury, ON23 February 2018
Great place to study geology (both undergrad and grad)! Very friendly colleagues and professors, who will always do what they can to help you and make your experience here a great one.
teaching assistant job
CO-OP (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON19 December 2017
It was a teaching assistant position, and it was part-time, but great experience. i had the opportunity to invigilate exams and present information to the class - felt a little more prepared than I did prior to taking on this position while working on my graduate studies.
Good focus on academic improvement
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON15 December 2017
Job responsibilities vary depending on the desires of your supervisor. Focus on improvement of academic abilities to aid in your own personal goals. Flexible hours and good pay.
Pros
Flexible hours, good pay
Cons
Great Experience, underpaid for amount of work put in
Residence Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sudbury20 November 2017
Heavily underpaid for hours put in. Paid for 15.5 hours per week for a job where you are on call 24/7. Job is extremely rewarding in regards to building a great community in residence with the floor you are living on, but very difficult when dealing with serious issues such as mental health, homesickness, anxiety, roommate conflicts. Not in it for the money but for the experience so no regrets whatsoever in accepting the job offer.