Laura Canada Employee Reviews

Good location in Laval, excellent colleagues and fun culture, terrible upper management.
Senior Manager (Former Employee) –  Laval, QC20 August 2018
The owner is an incredibly smart and an affluent businessman, who created a massive empire. His sons, on the other hand, don't know how to motivate their employees, and allow their managers/directors the freedom of taking ownership of their job tasks. They micro-manage, and worst, they do not know what they are talking about. The Director of Construction/Maintenance/Procurement, for example, does not know the difference between plywood, MDF, and gypsum. He has no sense of construction, nor project management, yet he is the Director of this division. It is a shame, because if they empowered their professional managers to do their jobs and not micro-manage them, the company would be far more successful. Happy employee makes for a successful company, not here! My position has been filled by a different person 4 years in a row.
Pros
Summer Fridays (finish at 13h00)
Cons
Terrible management, lots of turnover.
They're confused
Studip Consultant (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC25 July 2018
They are poorly organized with very little regard to needs/requests by in-house staff. They treat freelances like celebrities and in-house staff like cattle.
learned a lot
Service Coordinator/ Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON3 July 2018
learned how to handle the retail environment and stock work and sales merchandising and handling the pressures of being a cashier and being responsible for placing and handling shipment and stock and putting it on the floor.
Pros
got paid slightly above min wage
Cons
no room for promotion
Clothing Store
Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB29 May 2018
It is a high-level clothing store with only a few people working per shift. People working there were well educated and dedicated to their job what they perfectly know.
Pros
Employee benefits
Cons
Different shifts of work
Great
Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  North York, ON26 May 2018
This is a great place for a relaxed but busy workalike. have to have fashion sense. clothes are nice customers are nice. theres nothing bad I would say
Not the best place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 March 2018
Poor management and moral. They apply a lot of un nessary rules to your day to day work challenges. Gives you the feeling of being watched and controlled at all times. You are made to compete with your co workers for low costumer base. It is mandatory to wear their expensive clothing but salary doesn't match up to the amount considered to purchase.
Pros
Cons
Boring hours, bad management
Unclear Vision
Visual Trainer (Former Employee) –  Greater Toronto Area, ON4 March 2018
Great people in this company and I learned a lot but there became an unclear vision for the companies future and blame for failing sales were put on certain departments instead of the heads of the company taking responsibility for there confused and unclear vision for what the company should be.
Laura is a great company that bailed itself out of trouble themselves.
Head of Visual (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BC1 March 2018
I like Laura as it is a great company. I have learned a lot and gained great experience. I believe that with upper management there is a lot lost in communication between them. I myself am told three different directions and all are supposed to be right. Except the one I go with.
Pros
I am a manager and a leader of two very hard working women.
Cons
The Health insurance is way too expensive. I had to cancel it.
Conditions de travail très tendues
COORDONNATRICE CONSTRUCTION ET ENTRETIEN (Former Employee) –  Laval, QC27 February 2018
Journée de travail très tendue
Employés agités
Les choses ont peut être changées depuis.
Pros
expérience intéressante tout de même, on apprend toujours
Cons
Condition et environnement de travail non intéressant
Excellent
Coordonnatrice (Current Employee) –  Brossard, QC10 February 2018
Excellente entreprise mais je veux travailler plus dans mon domaine.
Pros
Proche de ma résidence
Cons
pas d'avancement

Want to know more about Laura Canada?

Ask a question
Productive and good environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ON5 January 2018
Everyday I learned something new about:

Fashionable women clothing.
How to approach a customer
How to offer and highlight new arrivals
Let them know about promotions and sales

It was always fun and exciting getting up to go to work
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK24 November 2017
Team work very important. Very busy but rewarding and individuality is recognized. Team management and planning is crucial for all aspects of running the store to increase sales.
worh ethics
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ON21 November 2017
Working at Laura was a professional and great opportunity. Customer service was number one priority. Dealing with customers was a challenge at times, but bottom line is our customer satisfactions.
Stimulating work but for little pay
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON3 October 2017
Management team is exceptional and extremely hardworking. The work is quite demanding but stimulating and exciting. The company is not very generous in compensation. There is definitely the opportunity for advancement as I, myself, have been promoted to Assistant Manager within 15 months of being with the company.
customer service
Sales associte (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON13 September 2017
Working at Laura's was somewhat different than what I am used to doing. Assisting women in ladies apparel is challenging as it requires more one on one.
monotonous and redundant
Merchandising Coordinator (Current Employee) –  BC13 September 2017
initially you might enjoy your work but after a few months it becomes very redundant and monotonous. the management is always keeping an eye on you. doing something right is not appreciated but when you make a mistake its never forgotten. HIghly stressful environment.
Cons
just use of manpower not talent !
fast passed
Visual Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Gatineau, QC21 August 2017
Some days are busier then others.
Organized daily tasks in order to complete them (s.p.h or visual presentation.) Management team do daily coaching and support staff.
managmanet of midle age to older women in womens clothing
Customer Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ON16 July 2017
It was a pleasure to manage and work with older women to whom I could call my grandma.

They where all lovely hard working women that had been working at Laura's for many years some over 10 years.

The pay was just average for the sales staff, they are very thrifty with pay and raises. Women working there for over 10 years only got like 10 cent raises and would complain to me all the time about other women stealing sales, all their woes and problems but they where generally nice older women.

There was never any room to really grow even though as appart of management you where always being trained to do managers job and did it on a regular basis.

Not my cup of tea for a forever job, but if you are just a happy go lucky gal that likes to get out interact with the public and loves fashion this is a good part time job for you.

note: there is alot of heavy lifting and cleaning especially during busy seasons and holidays.
Pros
Ingteracting with people
Cons
Dealing with the clean up
I had a lot of fun helping ladies picking up their outfits.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, Alberta, Canada27 June 2017
Being a honest person and having amazing skills dealing with people, helped me create a long list of customers that will come back to the store every season.
Pros
Schedule accommodate
Cons
Very low commission
Not for me
Merchandise Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 June 2017
The clientele and target demographic were not who i was used to working with. I enjoyed my time there very much and I hope they can get back on a profitable track as a company

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Laura Canada. Our community is ready to answer.