Larrek Investigations

Larrek Investigations Employee Reviews

Canada40 reviews

investigatoropportunityteammanagementlotbenefitcompanyhour

Industry Leader

Larrek is a leader in the public and private investigations field. Salary and benefits are competitive within the industry and overall Larrek is a good company to work for either as a senior or junior investigator. Like any growing company there are kinks to work out as they go but Larrek does a good job of meeting the changing landscape quickly and efficiently. I would recommend this company to fellow investigators.

Pros

Competitive salary and benefits

Cons

Unpredictable schedule

The job was Ok.

At Larrek Investigations, I felt a lack of appreciation for my efforts. I felt that my accomplishments were over looked and I started to feel depressed. Never was much support offered and the way files were managed seemed to be disorganized. I sought employment elsewhere. Thank you for reading.

Pros

Full time work

Cons

Toxic environment

Insights into Larrek Investigations

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Support from manager

Great place to work as an investigator

Lots of work to go around and always busy. Atmosphere is way better than my previous job and pay is very competitive and fair. Benefits are a great perk also.

Challenging Role & Rewarding Team

Since working at Larrek, I have had the opportunity to continue with my growth within the company. I haven't stayed in the same spot as I started in and I am always learning new skills and tasks. What is asked in a day is trying your best from 9 to 5 and being proud of the work you are completing. There isn't a demand to make you stay after hours or start earlier, however, there is always the opportunity for you to choose to continue working additional hours if they're available. Sometimes the clients have high-pressure deadlines, but we work together as a team to get what needs to be done. Working for insurance companies and law firms, the work we do needs to be of a high quality. If you are going to phone it in or coast along, this will not be the job for you.The staff in the workplace are highly supportive of each other and are open about sharing about their lives. We try to keep connected, even with the separation the past year has had for us. It's difficult moving from an office environment to a home one and we've been doing what we can to keep connected since emails/written messages take away the personal feel. If you need an accommodation or support, management and the leaders will be there for you. Management is always available if you need them, including early mornings, evenings and weekends. In addition, the pension and benefit plans offered are excellent and would highly recommend enrolling.

The Best PI Firm I’ve Worked with

I have worked in government, profit and non-profit organizations in the past. During my past seven years that I moved to PI industry I have worked for three large PI companies downtown before I joined Larrek. Overall, I find Larrek to be a fast-paced and technologically advanced company. The company does not leave its staff behind or alone to fend for themselves. Though you are expected to be a PI practitioner before you apply to the company, there is still plenty of support to learn and grow into the profession with Larrek. It is in Larrek that the President is ready to share his secrets to success with you. I find that I could text the President or Vice President at any time and will receive advice. The administrative staff are friendly and always available to answer questions. The environment and people are very pleasant.In terms of scheduling, I find Larrek Investigations policy to be by the book with flexible working hours. When you get a file, Larrek shares the client requirements with you, so you know what you are getting into. Work/life balance depends on the requirements of a file, if you are not up to the challenge or you can’t travel, all you have to do is text your team leader and return the file, no question asked. I’ve found this very helpful when balancing work with health or family obligations.As for salary and benefits, I find Larrek’s mileage compensation and hourly salary to be among the highest in the market today. The benefits provided include health and dental which I am very happy with.In terms of job security, we all know the PI industry is very -

Pros

Mileage & compensation among the highest. Much better approach during the slow season

Cons

No standard time schedule/challenging

Look at other options...

I would avoid this business and any employment opportunities they may offer. It was a poor experience for me and I consistently felt taken advantage of, literally pressured to work for free. Avoid. All I can say.

Pros

Paycheck

Amazing Company

I am a current employee and I am so grateful for my job. As soon as I walked into the office the first time, I could tell it was a great atmosphere. Everyone is so friendly, supportive and accommodating. The CEO and VP always go out of their way to make sure all employees feel appreciated for the work we do. Even with working from home now, management always makes sure we all still feel connected. This job has MANY opportunities to learn and grow. I love working here! So what are waiting for? Send in an application and join this amazing team!

Pros

Great environment, pays well and lots of opportunities to grow

Great company / amazing experience

I have been with Larrek for just over two years now and I have nothing but positive things to say about the company. I am thankful that Larrek has helped me kickstart my career as a Private Investigator. Great pay/benefits, lots of work, new opportunities, amazing co workers, supportive management, and overall fun career.I have not experienced anything relatively close to the negative reviews I've seen here. Despite the fact I'm a younger investigator I am still treated with the same respect as the seniors. If you come to work, do your job and get results you be recognized for your efforts no doubt. Although that does mean you actually have to work (like any professional job). Lots of people tend to think the role of a PI is about slacking off, sitting around with no results and getting paid to do so . If you want to do that and expect to get praised apply somewhere else. Those who write the negative reviews clearly just want to blame someone else for their mistakes and lack of motivation.I plan to stay with Larrek and further my career for years to come. I would no doubt recommend any investigator thinking to apply at Larrek.

Pros

Great pay/benefits, Exciting job, Supportive culture

Cons

Long/unpredictable hours (but thats common to the role of a PI)

Proffessionalism, Hard Work and Adaptability pay off at Larrek

Not every workplace is an exact fit...but some do come very very close. My experience at Larrek when I brought a positive attitude, professionalism, hard consistent work, and adaptability to growth to this type of work of Investigations,...is that I am rewarded at Larrek.I recommend working at Larrek to gain valuable experience in the multi million dollar investigations industry. The administrative team at Larrek is approachable and kind and investigators have passion for their tasks. Every path in life has lessons.

Pros

Great pay, great benefits, humour at the office

Cons

Work life balance may be affected but normal for the industry.

Couldn’t ask for a better company to work for

The one key component that Larrek has as a company that makes them stand out is something that most companies say they have, but really don’t. It’s empathy, it’s not a fancy job title or anything of that nature. It is the fact that they understand and empathize with their employees that makes them so different. I have had a variety of jobs across a wide range of industries, and they are truly the only company that hasn’t made me feel like I was just another number on their employee list. Every single person, from my direct bosses, to the management of the company and everyone else that I get to interact with is so kind and understanding. No employee has the exact same needs as another, but from my experience, they have been nothing short of amazing to me. If you ever get the chance to work for Larrek, take it. You will not regret it.

Pros

The people and opportunities at Larrek are second to none

Excellent place to work

All employees are very welcoming. They provide feedback and ensure success for yourself. When exceeding and doing your job well, management and your team lead always congratulate you on your improvements. Really great place to work.

Surprisingly Great Experience.

I was cautious starting out my PI career with which companies to apply to, especially since most have a subpar employee rating. I've worked with enough bad companies to know I got lucky with Larrek. As a younger guy, I find the workflow for reports and communication are very modern and efficient. There hasn't been a time where I'm wondering why things aren't being done differently.My experience with leadership has been great. My supervisor is engaged and willing to offer advice which is greatly appreciated. I also appreciate that I've experienced actual positive feedback from upper management, which isn't common in some companies. I've always gotten feedback when I've made mistakes, and in my experience they've always been fair, non-malicious, and constructive. The training was a short process. As someone that was new to the industry, I found it to be a bit of a swim or sink experience. That being said, I found my trainer to be knowledgeable, communicative, and did an amazing job giving me the necessary tools as I was learning.Work/Life balance can be difficult but understandably it's the nature of the job. Management hasn't given me any issues with booking time off, and I feel comfortable communicating with them.Overall, I'm very happy and thankful I applied here and would recommend Larrek to others interested in this line of work.

Pros

Travel/Meal Compensation, Competitive Wage, Competitive Benefits, Steady Hours and Income

Cons

Unpredictable Hours, Vehicle Wear

Love my job!

I have nothing but good things to say. I love my job and the people I work with. Management and the team leaders have been nothing but fair and I love the on going conversations regarding my work to make sure everything I'm completing is ready for the client and accurate to be trial ready as it should be.With working from home since March, the company is making sure we are staying connected with a zoom call every week with each of us taking turns to run the games. This has really helped with me feel connected and I am glad management is encouraging engagement as this is extremely important with mental health and the changing times we live in.I will be forever grateful to be hired by a company that cares!

Pros

Engagement, feedback, care and support

Great job

I have worked here over 5 years and have only good things to say about my job and the company. Managment is great and easy to deal with. The office staff is amazing and always helpful when needed with any kind of problem. The pay and benefits are well above average.

Pros

Hours

Cons

Lots of weekend work

Stay away!!!

The most unprofessional company I ever worked for!They have a culture of back stabbing from management.They change their pay schedule to benefit the company and not the investigator. The training is a joke just like the trainer.Everything sounds good at the start but quickly changes, do yourself a huge favor and pass on by this company and their positions.

Pros

Cons

everything

Horrible Working Environment

Do you love being treated like trash and made to feel horrible about every tiny mistake (even if it were one you were told to leave)? Do you love being made to feel like you are nothing more than a waste of space and not good enough at anything you do? Then this job might be for you! Never in my life have I experienced a company so deeply involved in work-drama and backstabbing managers. Nice to your face, but as soon as you turn your back they bad-mouth you and your work (and within earshot!). Horrible management structure, you're not allowed to speak directly to the managers about any sort of issue. Nothing is actually kept confidential as all the managers are friends and just gossip all day. If they decide they do not like you, they will implement a "Performance Improvement Plan" where they basically swamp you with work to stress you out so you make mistakes, giving them a reason to terminate your employment. Company fails to comply with Labour Law standards, but don't bring it up or they will make up a reason to terminate you. Poor management and planning, if they implement a "time-saving" plan, it will take you 3 times longer to do than the way you initially did it, and if you ask any sort of question regarding the process or how things work, you "create a toxic work environment" and are terminated. Please... just don't work here. This company is terrible in so many ways that I can't even explain.

Pros

Money is decent - sort of

Cons

management, poor communication, poor leaders, drama, stress, employee treatment, terrible managers, creepy owner

What an absolute joke!

If you want to work like a slave and be unappreciated, work here! I have worked at many of the big companies dealing with insurance fraud over the past 15+ years, but this company is the most unprofessional company I have ever worked for. This company lacks common sense and thinks all their employees were born yesterday. Toxicity from the top down. They don’t take suggestions nor advice from the investigator on the road who is working the file and knows best. Micromanagement at its finest! Do not let them let you believe that they don’t and they “just let you go to do your files and don’t bother you” it is the exact opposite. Your manager has a manager who has to get approval from another manager and so on and so forth. A lot of decisions go directly to the CEO. Your direct manager can’t even make decisions without going to their manager. Could be partly to do with the fact that some are underqualified to be a manager, but that’s besides the point. One manager was fired from another company for time theft yet was welcomed a warm seat in mgmt here after putting barely any time in. Did I mention favouritism? They make you put in updates on an online system twice a day and don’t even check it, instead bombard you with questions when their answers are already online where they are supposed to check. They will make you travel all over the place even if they tell you otherwise at hire and your travel expenses are not fully covered and no point in negotiating unless you’re a senior who’s been there for years upon years whom also have different travel agreements than -

Pros

Benefits, Pp

Cons

Everything else

independent job

No I am not a disgruntled former employee. If anything I feel more mentally clear and focused now that I put Larrek behind me. Below industry standard pay. Signed up for a part time position but was contacted daily until 930pm. (Not for new assignments, just to micro-manage every aspect of every file - my grammar, my spelling, I missed a period or a comma in my notes. Isn't that what the admin people are supposed to do?). Would send me 200 plus km but only paid hourly and no mileage or travel time. Honestly I could suck up all of that until this happened..... My girlfriends family member died. I had to help with all the emotional and mentally draining tasks when people die. After advising supervisor of same, I received a termination letter. This is something I've forwarded to multiple colleagues in the industry.

Pros

independent position

Cons

management

Scum of the Industry

I've been a private investigator for over a decade now and have worked for all the big companies in one form or another. If you've been around for a while, you don't need to read further, I'm sure you already know all about Larrek and how they treat their employees and how awful their management truly is. If you're new to the industry, please beware of this company, you will be micromanaged like you wouldn't believe. Managers have managers and their managers have managers--I'm not joking. They have a history of threatening people in an effort to get more out of them, and don't expect your reimbursement to be black and white, you'll be negotiated with on every file how much they're willing to pay you for your expenses--you're expected to eat a good chunk of your mileage "for the sake of the company". While there are circumstances when I would agree with this, it is a regular occurrence at Larrek and is unacceptable. I don't recommend working for this company, especially as a junior investigator. Find a smaller agency where you can find a good mentor to take you under their wing.

Pros

Team leader was very nice; however, he was also bullied by his superiors.

Cons

Management, including the President, investigator scheduling & overall culture.

Terrible Management and Culture

Management is has no respect for employees and break labour laws all of the time. Management plays into the ridiculous culture of drama. I watched so many people get stabbed in the back working there. Trust me, nothing is worth working there. It took a good year to heal emotionally from the mental damage working here caused. Waterloo office is based on cliques - I'm sure you would have a good time if you are in one of the top cliques, but otherwise prepare to feel left out and alone. Socially, that's not great, but the worst part of it is that you need team members to make time for you to proofread work before it can be submitted. This means that if you're not in the 'popular' group, prepare to have a difficult time with your work as well.

Worst employment experience of my life

The list of issues in detail I could bring up would have me writing half a novel so I'm gonna try and keep this somewhat short so it's more general and relatable. First off, I was warned by multiple PI's about how bad it is to work here but I didn't listen. I like to find things out for myself. I figured they were bad PI's who were let go and thus bitter. Its turns out their descriptions ended up being very accurate, echoing my overall experience. I started here in the spring with high hopes, ready to learn. The training I received was sparse and horrendous, supervision lacked the apparent desire or capability to answer questions in a timely manner if at all. Responses were seemingly only given to questions they felt were safe or easy to answer. Supervisor was ready and willing to place blame, try to throw you under the bus and attempt to belittle on the phone, giving trouble for having to make on the fly decisions regarding important events that I would not receive answers for, if I did they would often be vague or incomplete sometimes hours after they were needing an answer. To be fair I believe they were abusing my supervisors people pleasing tendencies and overloading him with an amount of tasks and responsibilities he clearly could not even begin to handle effectively. The higher ups apparently don't associate or bother interacting with lowely frontliners at all. Avoiding calls, emails, texts and then responding selectively with three word answers days later. Keep in mind this is after repeated attempts, over days to get answers from my direct supervisor. -

Pros

Pay

Cons

Everything else, especially management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Larrek Investigations. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement