Langdon Hall Country House Hotel & Spa

Langdon Hall Country House Hotel & Spa Employee Reviews

Positive environment, on going training

Great place to gain knowledge, fast paced environment. Professional clientele.On site on going training and benefits. Beautiful grounds and scenery.Overall, staff are lovely and many staff have been there for years

Great opportunity to learn and advance your career.

Great staff and management. A unique workplace environment. The tools and support that you need to be successful at work. Great ownership and organization to work with.

Overworked and underpaid

They’ll tell you the pandemic caused a shift in where people want to work now but in reality, their staff are dropping like flies because they don’t want to continually work 90 hours a week. 14-16 hour days is the norm for most of their restaurant staff, FOH and BOH of all positions, except the sommeliers who dip after service, collect the same amount in the tip pool but don’t participate in any of the extra work that everyone else does. Most of the restaurant managers are unbelievably condescending and belittling but I guess that can be expected when you have a 22 year old managing people with more experience than them. Literally all but one FOH manager is a total *^%%#+*^%%$.The tip pooling system runs off a value system and is split up by an anonymous team. People who have the full value in the point system will still only make about $200 a day, if you’re lucky. And that’s working an open to close. Good luck to the next fool who thought they’d be working at a place that respects their employees.

Pros

You can eat the leftover bread

Cons

Long hours, low pay, bad management

Great place to develop techniques

Unfortunate I could not stay employed with them longer at the time. Fantastic leadership team. Many opportunities for advancement. Highly recommended.

If your into fine dining this is the place to be

Langdon hall not only teaches new cooks how to improve the skill and knowledge, and encourages growth ! As long as you put in the effort and show up willing to put in 110 percent !! It’s the best place to work for upcoming cooks

Laundry Attendant

The hall is beautiful from the outside to the inside. There are overnight cleaners who love to chat and are the friendly faces of the night. The kitchen staff has humour but also urgency woven in their soles.

Excellent environment,

Best place ever to work. Work with 70 women & 95% of us get along, respect & help each other for the common goal which is to give a 5 star experience to all who visit.

Great for a novice server, otherwise DON'T BOTHER.

This would be a great first serving job, they really teach you every little thing down to the salt and pepper placement, however they hire servers with years of experience and then make them "train" as back-servers and then mid-servers for months on end (6+). You will only be moved up when another back-server is hired, and only after you train them. Gratuity is done based on a tip-pool, where the percentage you get paid is decided by a committee of your anonymous peers. Tip pool includes dining room managers, the same managers who get to choose which sections and hours they and other servers work. Managers are mostly promoted servers so they prefer to work with their favourite coworkers, and assign all the side work for the day so if you're a new hire or not liked then expect a day of heavy physical labor and doing all the solo jobs that no one else wanted. It was a cool place to work, lots of history, free lunch, definitely a huge learning opportunity, but I regret spending as long there as I did, as it cost me financially. If you have any server experience whatsoever, you will make more money at ANY other restaurant without a tip pool.

Good working place

I like to work there , the management is good and colleagues. Good working place.I relay enjoy working there.They appreciate a hard working people, very polite,professional, understanding.

Free meal but...

They say 9.5 hours is a workday there, which includes an unpaid 30 min break, but they pressure you to stay longer every shift without any thanks. It's illegal and toxic work place.

Jobs at Langdon Hall Country House Hotel & Spa

See more jobs

A surreal experience

I was a Valet and Porter at Langdon and it was the best job that I ever had. The staff and guests were mostly friendly. However, there was a huge turnover rate because there wasn't much loyalty to employees

Pros

Free Lunches

Cons

Irregular hours

Run very, very fast!!! Away, not towards

One of the worst jobs I've ever had. I am in debt now because of this job. I was hired as a server but never once trained for the position. I'm sure the servers make good money but it'll take you many, many months to get to that point. Basically, you can look forward to 3 hours of polishing wine glasses and silverware, nightly. No exaggeration in the least. Very late nights and they work you very hard. The amount of ridiculous activities they have you do and non stop running will make you insane. I came from a very high end restaurant prior to Langdon Hall but their fussy, over the top everything is unlike anything I've ever seen. Their training program if absurd and if it takes months to get to the point where you can actually start making the money you are told you're going to make, it's something they need to tell you before you take the job. The only reason I can think that they don't tell you this is because anyone in their right mind would never take the job. I figure the reason their turn over rate is so high is due to this. All I ever was was a glorified polisher. There's also some very rude and condisending employees that you have to deal with. I am not ever one to take a job that pools tips and Langdon Hall does this. I knew I should have turned it down when I learned about it. Unfortunately, some of the employees with the attitude problem are the ones dividing the tips behind closed doors. I highly doubt things are being monitored properly, especially if you're not liked. All of this would be fine if you were making anything close to decent money. My advice.... Stay -

Amazing workplace for anyone!

By far the most favourite place I’ve worked so far! Everyone is so welcoming and willing to teach you if you have questions! there is so many different positions and such friendly staff everywhere. Everyone is always in such a great mood working here

Pros

Free lunches, good hours, amazing staff, beautiful property, overall awesome place

Cons

Losing a job here

updated bedding inventory supplies

I enjoyed working there and the coworkers were so nice . A normal day for me included update the inventory supplies for the bedding and housekeeping department

Pros

Free Meals for Employees .

Great environment, good people and tasty food

If willing, the staff will listen & teach you everything you need and more. Summers are very long but rewarding both in pay and customer satisfaction.

Highly professional, yet welcoming and encouraging

Langdon Hall is an excellent work environment for persons dedicated to providing professional and high class service to their patrons. Engaging with class and civility in all situations is an exercise in patience and character that is both stimulating and a challenge.

Pros

Wonderful people and world class chefs that make amazing staff meals.

Cons

Some cold winter days can be tough for the grounds folk and porters.

You work hard for minimum wage. Poor management communication.

Food available in staff lounge but not always to night staff. Fellow employees steal and gossip. Managers of cleaning staff are not effective at communication which creates a very negative workplace culture.

Pros

free food

Cons

lack of supervision and communication with managers

fun and educational

I learned so much about service standards and what it takes fr fine dinning. While it had it's challenges, as any hospitality business would, it was overall a great place to work.

Not the Best.

It was a great place to work at until you apply to advance in the company ,I worked very hard for these ppl daily ,if you weren't of the same nationality as the rest of the housekeeping staff. You were not treated equallyI was bullied and harassed my car was vandelized on their property

Pros

Free lunch and the owners

Cons

horrible housekeeping supervisor and staff.

Great!

Experience Relais and Châteaux luxury and elegance in the Ontario Hotel & Spa of your dreams. Offering 60 luxurious guest suites, a full-service spa, outdoor swimming pool, a 5-diamond award-winning restaurant with elegant reception rooms. Langdon Hall is a place where time seems to stand still.

Good place

Like any other place it could be very beneficial to you or it could be very bad. Try to take what you can and do not worry about the rest. Your typical work place; good co-workers, drama, ups and downs and many other things are all there.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Langdon Hall Country House Hotel & Spa. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4Job security/advancement

Compare Langdon Hall Country House Hotel & Spa with

Langdon Hall Country House Hotel & Spa Reviews by Location

• Langdon Hall Country House Hotel & Spa
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?