Langara College

Canada45 reviews

Insights into Langara College

What people like
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Sense of belonging
Areas for improvement
  • Time and location flexibility

Great place to work. Can be a bit of turnover here. Many of the roles are temporary. Permanent postings can also end up changing to temporary before an offer is made. Very supportive environment. Like working with the students and teams. C

Pros

Good location. Good salary. Ample parking

Cons

Not all work here is stable

Close minds with good intentions

Ones experience at Langara college depends on your departmental design. Dept chairs change very often and are continuously being trained... The same for HR, and other professionals linked with your position, and work-life balance.On the last 2-3 years, everyone I interact with was new in the college and needed time to learn...

Pros

After 2-3 years of no vacations, you start having the good 2 month year vac.

Cons

2-3 years of no break as an instructor

Poor management

This is not the place I would recommend to a friend. They have a huge turnover. There’s a quite popular saying that goes: “Employees don’t quit their jobs, they quit their managers.” This is it.There is a lack of trust as management saying all the right things but not acting on it. Bad manager that causes employees to quit by micromanaging and creating a high stress environment. They don’t care if their employees are overworked; don’t appreciate employee’s hard work, no empathy, low emotional intelligence and low self-awareness.I worked with many amazing co-workers though.

Pros

Benefits, pension

Cons

Great coworkers but weak leadership

Great coworkers, amazing benefits, no late nightsBUT leadership and management are like a pool of politicians. A lot of talking and not a lot of real action. Workload get trickled down by middle management. Tenure based pay rather than performance based pay. Stability and good pension for those looking for a gig to retire in. Would not recommend as an intelligent driven young candidate.

Avoid at all costs

Poor leadership with lots of turnover and lack of strategic direction and - incompetent VPs and DeansToxic culture - lots of entitled faculty and senior staff membersLack of direction and leadership (which comes from the top)Poor advancementPoor visionLack of integrity

Pros

Some great people work there

Cons

Stressful and thankless, zero appreciation or recognition for staff working long hours, management doesn't know where theyre going or what theyre doing

Many opportunities due to turnovers

In recent years, there has been many that have come and gone. Many long time employees have mentioned that the school has changes a lot and have not kept up with the times. I have not been with Langara for all that long but I have seen new faces every few months in my area alone. Some departments are really great to be a part of, whereas others have plenty of turnover. The org. seems to be unstable from senior management trickling downwards to other departments. There have been a number of new VPs and Deans in the last little while with many going though interim positions constantly. Certain departments are functioning on nepotism to advance. Of the post-secondary institutions out there, one of the higher paying for similar roles with standard extended benefits. Some employees can take a sick day or two every few weeks depending on their manager.

Pros

35 hour work week, little to no overtime, fortnight for some positions, 17 days vacation to start, plenty of sick days

Cons

high turnover in some departments, slow to progress, mature employee group, reluctant to use technology, paper and pencil focused, unions

Innovative and collaborative workplace

I worked an innovative project which brought me many challenges, such as liaising with many departments, creating new processes, running a new Langara campus, and supporting more than 100 new students from September 2019 to March 2020.

Great place to work.

I was also taking classes so working there was a great way to continue my education. I felt management was a bit lax and communication stunted, overall I had a good experience.

Good Place to study

as a student it was good working environment and the faculty was also experienced. The curriculum was also nicely formed which helped in gaining the desired knowledge.

Great place to work!

Excellent management, inspiring environment. This is a great place to work and feel as tough you are being mentored and listened to. Extremely supportive management and senior colleagues.

Great management but pay could improve. A fun environment to work in.

Great management but pay could improve. A fun environment to work in. A lot of contract work and few to no raises. HR or People and Culture can be difficult to deal with.

Great place to learn

Worked as a Student Ambassador at the International Education Office. It's a part-time position. My coworkers were always there to help and teach me.

TA & Volunteering experience

Not very competitive comparing to other big universities/colleges Instructors are nice and helpful Management is great nothing more to share .........

Good opportunity to develop your skills / Mostly independent work / Difficult to get 10% of students in a course to attend PSL sessions

The experience is rewarding because it allows people to develop their skills. A lot of the work is done independently. The most difficult part of the job is getting at least 10% of students in a course to attend Peer Supported Learning sessions.

Pros

Good opportunity to develop your skills

Cons

Mostly independent work

Small campus, big heart

People are really engaged here at Langara. The instructors are friendly, the staff seem happy. There are many short term opportunities here, and nice outdoor spaces.

Pros

Wellness workshops for staff

Cons

Strict working hours

Excellent

Was a great job.. Had a lot of automy.. Great mangers to work with.. Supportive management.. Worked on team building... Co-workers very supportive.. Assistant administrators were wonderful at their jobs, very helpful and pleasant.

I'm proud of working in langara because of positive environment

The quantity of work was great and employer had excellent managing .also HR department follow the official way for supporting employee ,however they paired minimum wage (13.85),honestly I was satisfied.

Excellent

The work environment is cozy. Students drop by to ask questions. A typical workplace that colleagues can share knowledge, ideas, and experience about work.

Teaching Assistant For 6 Years

I had a positive experience as a TA at Langara. Though I'm sure one's experience may vary depending on the instructor you work for. The administrative staff is friendly.

good for building communication and social skills

nice work as it helps building good social and communication skills. as I am doing medical studies in Langara. it helped me understand some of the diseases.

Pros

free medicines to employees

Cons

far from home

a typical day at work

i am working as a cook assistant to the Asian kitchen, in the meantime i am study photography.. is really very great experience all go those years. The preparation about cooking is really enjoyable.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Langara College. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.2