Langara College

Langara College Employee Reviews for Administrative Assistant

3.6Pay & benefits

Provides an environment to grow, so much to learn.A great platform to apply theoretical knowledge into practice.Following are he highlights of what I did and achieved so far at Langara:-• Helped office staff with documentation; organized and manage files along with typing, editing and proofreading of documents.• Assisted students with various queries in international department and arranged appointments with associate directors and coordinators.• Sending out, receiving and replying mails.• Kept up-to-date information, assisted guests and visitors in various daily operations.• Coordinated between departments and operating units in resolving day in and day out administrative and operational problems.

Many opportunities due to turnovers

In recent years, there has been many that have come and gone. Many long time employees have mentioned that the school has changes a lot and have not kept up with the times. I have not been with Langara for all that long but I have seen new faces every few months in my area alone. Some departments are really great to be a part of, whereas others have plenty of turnover. The org. seems to be unstable from senior management trickling downwards to other departments. There have been a number of new VPs and Deans in the last little while with many going though interim positions constantly. Certain departments are functioning on nepotism to advance. Of the post-secondary institutions out there, one of the higher paying for similar roles with standard extended benefits. Some employees can take a sick day or two every few weeks depending on their manager.

Pros

35 hour work week, little to no overtime, fortnight for some positions, 17 days vacation to start, plenty of sick days

Cons

high turnover in some departments, slow to progress, mature employee group, reluctant to use technology, paper and pencil focused, unions

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Langara College. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.2