Langara College
Happiness score is 75 out of 100

Langara College: 51 Employee Reviews

Canada51 reviews

studentgoodgreatmanagementworklotexperiencejob

Solid collaborative environment with friendly people across the college

Langara is a great place for early and mid career individuals. It is friendly, open, supportive and invested in helping newhires succeed. However, like many post secondary institutions, declining govt funding and increasing international student demand has caused much growth and adjustment over the past 5 years. Huge student enrollment and lack of planning how to anticipate and manage has caused many divides across the college as well as put pressure on systems upgrading. Progress is slow, bit it is positive.

Pros

Employee connections, positive atmosphere, good student vibes, excellent student resources urces

Cons

Space constraints for continued student demand for enrollment

Flexible work environment

You can work from home or in-office depending on the job-type. Work environment is good but some hiring staff (including managers) are not fair and not worth to be worked with again.

Insights into Langara College

What people like
  • Energizing work tasks
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Ability to meet personal goals

No Work Drama and Fun Job

The job is fun and everyone is so kind and approachable. The management's expectations, directions, and orientation are clear. You get paid on time though the pay is a little bit over minimum wage. The managers are very organized and the activities are well planned. You get a small group to lead so you don't need to be constantly counting the students. Having worked at another school doing similar work, I would much prefer Langara College.

Pros

Management makes it easy for you to succeed in this role

Cons

Casual

Little opportunities for advancement

Great place to work. Enjoy working with different teams, services, and technologies.Lots of turnover here. Little opportunity for advancement. Hard to get decisions made. Most of the leaders I report have limited knowledge of my work and so people and culture drive decisions more than effectiveness, efficiency, and innovation best practices. Lots of external leaders being hired; overwhelmed with information and push to deliver on goals their managers have been unable to deliver. Tension and stress is transferred a lot to the teams they manage. Plenty of opportunities to dive deeper into your area of expertise but hard to get noticed. I love it here but will have to look elsewhere for advancement opportunities.

Pros

Reasonable pay and benefits. Good location.

Cons

Noisy work environment. Minimal opportunities for advancement.

Rewarding Work

Working as a TA was an enjoyable experience. I felt that I was fairly compensated and enjoyed being able to help students grasp complex topics. I would highly suggest becoming a TA at Langara.

It’s tough to get in full time

Amazing place but so many steps until they give you something more stable. You have to also go through many steps and evaluations even for one course…

A friendly workplace for immigrant

I took the job for immigration purpose (PR) and overall it's a friendly place to work at. Co-workers are nice and the sense of community is strong (at least on emails). Good benefits and pay enough for you to survive in an expensive city like Vancouver.

Close minds with good intentions

Ones experience at Langara college depends on your departmental design. Dept chairs change very often and are continuously being trained... The same for HR, and other professionals linked with your position, and work-life balance.On the last 2-3 years, everyone I interact with was new in the college and needed time to learn...

Pros

After 2-3 years of no vacations, you start having the good 2 month year vac.

Cons

2-3 years of no break as an instructor

Poor management

This is not the place I would recommend to a friend. They have a huge turnover. There’s a quite popular saying that goes: “Employees don’t quit their jobs, they quit their managers.” This is it.There is a lack of trust as management saying all the right things but not acting on it. Bad manager that causes employees to quit by micromanaging and creating a high stress environment. They don’t care if their employees are overworked; don’t appreciate employee’s hard work, no empathy, low emotional intelligence and low self-awareness.I worked with many amazing co-workers though.

Pros

Benefits, pension

Cons

Great coworkers but weak leadership

Great coworkers, amazing benefits, no late nightsBUT leadership and management are like a pool of politicians. A lot of talking and not a lot of real action. Workload get trickled down by middle management. Tenure based pay rather than performance based pay. Stability and good pension for those looking for a gig to retire in. Would not recommend as an intelligent driven young candidate.

Avoid at all costs

Poor leadership with lots of turnover and lack of strategic direction and - incompetent VPs and DeansToxic culture - lots of entitled faculty and senior staff membersLack of direction and leadership (which comes from the top)Poor advancementPoor visionLack of integrity

Pros

Some great people work there

Cons

Stressful and thankless, zero appreciation or recognition for staff working long hours, management doesn't know where theyre going or what theyre doing

Many opportunities due to turnovers

In recent years, there has been many that have come and gone. Many long time employees have mentioned that the school has changes a lot and have not kept up with the times. I have not been with Langara for all that long but I have seen new faces every few months in my area alone. Some departments are really great to be a part of, whereas others have plenty of turnover. The org. seems to be unstable from senior management trickling downwards to other departments. There have been a number of new VPs and Deans in the last little while with many going though interim positions constantly. Certain departments are functioning on nepotism to advance. Of the post-secondary institutions out there, one of the higher paying for similar roles with standard extended benefits. Some employees can take a sick day or two every few weeks depending on their manager.

Pros

35 hour work week, little to no overtime, fortnight for some positions, 17 days vacation to start, plenty of sick days

Cons

high turnover in some departments, slow to progress, mature employee group, reluctant to use technology, paper and pencil focused, unions

Innovative and collaborative workplace

I worked an innovative project which brought me many challenges, such as liaising with many departments, creating new processes, running a new Langara campus, and supporting more than 100 new students from September 2019 to March 2020.

Great place to work.

I was also taking classes so working there was a great way to continue my education. I felt management was a bit lax and communication stunted, overall I had a good experience.

Good Place to study

as a student it was good working environment and the faculty was also experienced. The curriculum was also nicely formed which helped in gaining the desired knowledge.

Great place to work!

Excellent management, inspiring environment. This is a great place to work and feel as tough you are being mentored and listened to. Extremely supportive management and senior colleagues.

Great management but pay could improve. A fun environment to work in.

Great management but pay could improve. A fun environment to work in. A lot of contract work and few to no raises. HR or People and Culture can be difficult to deal with.

Great place to learn

Worked as a Student Ambassador at the International Education Office. It's a part-time position. My coworkers were always there to help and teach me.

TA & Volunteering experience

Not very competitive comparing to other big universities/colleges Instructors are nice and helpful Management is great nothing more to share .........

Good opportunity to develop your skills / Mostly independent work / Difficult to get 10% of students in a course to attend PSL sessions

The experience is rewarding because it allows people to develop their skills. A lot of the work is done independently. The most difficult part of the job is getting at least 10% of students in a course to attend Peer Supported Learning sessions.

Pros

Good opportunity to develop your skills

Cons

Mostly independent work

Small campus, big heart

People are really engaged here at Langara. The instructors are friendly, the staff seem happy. There are many short term opportunities here, and nice outdoor spaces.

Pros

Wellness workshops for staff

Cons

Strict working hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Langara College. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement