LANDMARK EAST SCHOOL

LANDMARK EAST SCHOOL Employee Reviews in Wolfville, NS

Wolfville, NS8 reviews

Challenging but highly instructive with ever present support available.

One becomes a member of the “Landmark family”. The feeling of inclusion, respect for effort and ability and the opportunity to have some fun with students and fellow staff is ever-present.

Good job for students

Fun place to work. Good mix of downtime and more faced-paced environment. Plenty of time to get schoolwork done during quiet hours. Kids are fun to hangout with and are generally pretty easy going. Activities are fun! Overall good experience here.

Pros

Free food, fun activities, nice co workers

Cons

Long hours, low wage

Insights into LANDMARK EAST SCHOOL

What people like
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Inclusive work environment
Areas for improvement
  • Time and location flexibility

Stressful, underpaid, under appreciated

A very stressful work environment, and staff is not paid nearly enough. You’re working with students with learning disabilities but no extra training is given for how to do this properly. There’s no job security and multiple positions are cut every year.The students are great, but I would not recommend this as a work environment. It would make a good last resort education job if you can’t find anything else, but I wouldn’t recommend staying any longer than you have to. Administration is also very notorious for playing favourites and treating staff unfairly.You’re also expected to do a lot of “extra” duties without compensation. The burnout rate is very high here.

Pros

Free lunch

Fun place to work and create lifelong friendships and connections!

The working environment at Landmark is very enjoyable as the Student Life Team staff are all on the same page and that makes the long weekend shifts feel less tiresome. Every weekend there were multiple outdoor as well as indoor activities for the students. I choose what activity interested me and that made it fun for myself as well as the students! My supervisors were very supportive and were available whenever needed. As a Dorm Parent, I would sometimes need assistance at the late hours in the night and they were always there to guide me. The kitchen staff was so friendly and happily catered to students and staffs food restrictions and allergies. I got to learn a lot from the students as well as the staff while working at Landmark. Working with boarding students helped me be more patient and understanding. Moreover, by watching my fellow experienced colleagues I learned how to handle different situations. I am very grateful to have worked at Landmark for 3 years and cherish all the amazing memories and friendships!

A great opportunity for students, relaxed and enjoyable workplace

Landmarks scheduling for the weekend activity team fit my life as a student very well and even provided opportunities on shift to complete school work or study. Working here also provided countless opportunities to explore what the local region has to offer. Being part of the student life team we were able to take the students on many outings and occasionally overnight stays. Getting to know each student and supporting them in the less academic parts of their lives was highly rewarding. The landmark community was welcoming and friendly, I greatly enjoyed my time as part of the team.

Pros

Outings, Rewarding work

Great place to make a difference and gain valuable experience

Having worked at Landmark East School for more than 5 years, I feel that it is a great job if you want to work with young adults and make a difference in their lives. You will definitely gain experience in supporting the youth with their social and emotional barriers, as well as being a positive role model for them. You will also gain team working experience, as you work very closely with the rest of the student life team. There are difficult times when you must provide social and emotional support to students, however, seeing the positive growth in students overcoming their barriers is very rewarding. Would highly recommend this position to someone looking to start or continue their career working with youth or individuals with disabilities, as I feel that it has given me much experience to get me where I am now.

Pros

Fun activities, seeing positive change, building relationships

Cons

Long shifts, poor work-life balance (evening/weekend shifts)

Extremely stressful, underpaid

14 to 17 hour shifts on Saturdays and Sundays Four people to look after 25 kids/teensBad payNo benefitsZero training even though you give out medicationSometimes big language barriersKids try to hurt themselves and othersBad onsite cafeteria foodNo breaks

Pros

Sometimes get to go on outings

Cons

Long hours, under paid, stressful

Classroom teaching of small class sizes is a wonderful teachinfgexperience.

A typical day at work consists of teaching students a wide variety of skills such as reading, spelling, lab report writing and even social skills. Everyday I learn something new. Sometimes it is something about a student or how to use a new software program, and sometimes it is a new Zumba move. Being part of the management team is a great deal of paperwork, but it is rewarding to help a high risk student and their family. My co-workers are a big part of why I enjoy my job.We collaborate to help students, we workout together, we eat meals together but most of all we problem solve together. The hardest part of my job is letting go and not bringing it home, when students are at their most stressed. The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing the student succeed at something they thought they could not do.

Pros

Some students appreciate good teacher

Cons

hours of lesson planning most evenings

Jobs at LANDMARK EAST SCHOOL