Lakeridge Health

Lakeridge Health Employee Reviews for Registered Nurse

The medical and support staff are, for most floors, great. I loved working here. The management is a bit off in terms of creating a productive work environment. Front line management have a huge portfolio. On site training was good but has tapered off .. as it has everywhere.
Pros
Collegial team environment (my floor), pay and benefits, educational opportunities
Cons
Management favours a punitive approach when dealing with issues. Time off is hard to get.
Scheduling has poor respect for nursing professional home vs work life balance. Scheduled shifts on 6 out of 9 weekends with current 12 hr DDNN. overtime just as bad with new schedule. Moral at an all time low. Nov 2019
Competitive pay, would like more say in shift scheduling. No room for advancement unless you have a degree or more but generally that is typical among hospitals. Management differs on each floor but they are always trying to cut costs.
The most unsafe ER I have ever worked in. Not nurse friendly. Toxic culture. ++admitted patients held for days. constantly, chasing doctors to see or reassess admitted pts. High turnover rate. Nurse:patient ratios not followed and worse when acuity of pts begins to climb. No support of staff. Many grievances over safety, workload, and still no change. Easier in their minds to just get rid of the nurses. Zero support from managers, directors, administrators. Keep their own job, and climb the career ladder. Difficult behaviors amongst pt population and staff paying the price. Save yourself. HR, directors, managers, and clinical office staff cannot be trusted.
Pros
Security does their best to assist
Cons
treated like you are expendable
Always at bed capacity but staff work well together to provide excellent care to client and families. Front line management poor. Lack of support to staff and poor communication skills. Follows best practise guidelines for consistent, safe care.
Pros
job security
Cons
lack of beds resulting in back logs
Good and safe place to work, unionized environment, offers ongoing training and promotes education. Involved with local teaching facilities, +++ students, good benefits and pension plan. Would recommend to anybody, especially new grads.
On a regular day I work 12 hours usually. Take patient's vitals, administer medications, transfer patients and assist with toileting etc. Depending on the patient I sometimes monitor IV infusions, catheters, oxygen, feeding tubes, drains, wound care etc.
Great place to work. Flexibility for hours, great team members, option to pay into HOOP and benefits available for both part time and full time employees.
I am working full time at Lakeridge and enjoy working here. I love being a nurse and enjoy a rewarding career. I would encourage further education in nursing.
The ER is ruled by people who exhibit a Grade 9 mentality. Cliques and bullying are prevalent. Unit managers try their best but the number of managers the ER has had in the last 10 years is evidence of the toll it takes on them.
Pros
Benefits are OK
Cons
Poor workplace morale, lack of Staff Educator and continuing education opertunities.
I worked full time in the acute care psychiatry unit for many years. I had many positive learning experiences. This is where I found my true passion for mental health and addictions.
Pros
Great learning opportunities
Cons
frequently short staffed
Worked with acute and rehab stroke patients. I enjoyed the health care team that I worked with, made a ruff day much easier. loved working with clients and assisting in rehabilitation process.
0700-1500. Proficient in phlebotomy, Blood transfusion, Wound care, assist with vasectomy procedure. Primarily responsible for Chronic disease education Tues-Thurs. Management is versatile and open to communication. Co-workers are highly skilled, team players. Hardest part of current job is when clinics are over-booked requiring fast-efficient quality care for all patients. The most enjoyable part of the job are the patients and being able to teach them something about their health on how to maintain a quality of life to ensure them the ability to remain at home.
Pros
Patient satisfaction
Cons
Over-bookings
I work 12 hour days and nights. I have learnt excellent critical thinking skills and maintained all skills appropriate for Registered Practical Nurses scope of practice. Management could be improved slightly - management politics are at times difficult to manage. Advancement is possible including many opportunities for increased education with in-house education sessions and courses covered by corporation.
Pros
12 hour shifts
Cons
Night shifts can be difficult
Typical evening shift at my work was to get report on the patients i would be looking after or of the floor if i was in charge I would then take vitals of all my patients assessing their comfort level if they needed any medication for pain Check on any lab work that came back and contact physicians if needed to Prepared the supper medication and did rounds to get patient up that were to get up Checked wound dressings IV or assist younger staff where needed I learned that team work means one has to work has a team when one of your team is struggling you lend a hand I loved working with all my coworkers management as well they were a great team Most enjoyable part of the job well seeing my patients get well or smile or when they say they were glad i was back I whistled i sang and it made the patient less anxious and they would not be afraid to ring the bell.
Pros
understanding clinical leader and great staff
Cons
stressful when staff was short