Lakeridge Health logo
Lakeridge Health

Lakeridge Health Employee Reviews for Registered Nurse

Work-life balance

Supportive Team Environment

The medical and support staff are, for most floors, great. I loved working here. The management is a bit off in terms of creating a productive work environment. Front line management have a huge portfolio. On site training was good but has tapered off .. as it has everywhere.

Pros

Collegial team environment (my floor), pay and benefits, educational opportunities

Cons

Management favours a punitive approach when dealing with issues. Time off is hard to get.

Scheduling at Lakeridge

Scheduling has poor respect for nursing professional home vs work life balance. Scheduled shifts on 6 out of 9 weekends with current 12 hr DDNN. overtime just as bad with new schedule. Moral at an all time low. Nov 2019

Competitive pay, would like more say in shift scheduling. No room for advancement unless you have a degree or more but generally that is typical among hospitals. Management differs on each floor but they are always trying to cut costs.

Unsafe and toxic work culture

The most unsafe ER I have ever worked in. Not nurse friendly. Toxic culture. ++admitted patients held for days. constantly, chasing doctors to see or reassess admitted pts. High turnover rate. Nurse:patient ratios not followed and worse when acuity of pts begins to climb. No support of staff. Many grievances over safety, workload, and still no change. Easier in their minds to just get rid of the nurses. Zero support from managers, directors, administrators. Keep their own job, and climb the career ladder. Difficult behaviors amongst pt population and staff paying the price. Save yourself. HR, directors, managers, and clinical office staff cannot be trusted.

Pros

Security does their best to assist

Cons

treated like you are expendable

Great staff from every discipline.

Always at bed capacity but staff work well together to provide excellent care to client and families. Front line management poor. Lack of support to staff and poor communication skills. Follows best practise guidelines for consistent, safe care.

Pros

job security

Cons

lack of beds resulting in back logs

Good

Good and safe place to work, unionized environment, offers ongoing training and promotes education. Involved with local teaching facilities, +++ students, good benefits and pension plan. Would recommend to anybody, especially new grads.

Work Summary

On a regular day I work 12 hours usually. Take patient's vitals, administer medications, transfer patients and assist with toileting etc. Depending on the patient I sometimes monitor IV infusions, catheters, oxygen, feeding tubes, drains, wound care etc.

Productive place to work

Great place to work. Flexibility for hours, great team members, option to pay into HOOP and benefits available for both part time and full time employees.

Excellent

I am working full time at Lakeridge and enjoy working here. I love being a nurse and enjoy a rewarding career. I would encourage further education in nursing.

Avoid the ER

The ER is ruled by people who exhibit a Grade 9 mentality. Cliques and bullying are prevalent. Unit managers try their best but the number of managers the ER has had in the last 10 years is evidence of the toll it takes on them.

Pros

Benefits are OK

Cons

Poor workplace morale, lack of Staff Educator and continuing education opertunities.

Jobs at Lakeridge Health

Registered Nurse positions
See more jobs

Many great learning experiences while working there.

I worked full time in the acute care psychiatry unit for many years. I had many positive learning experiences. This is where I found my true passion for mental health and addictions.

Pros

Great learning opportunities

Cons

frequently short staffed

Worked with acute and rehab stroke patients. I enjoyed the health care team that I worked with, made a ruff day much easier. loved working with clients and assisting in rehabilitation process.

Productive and Efficient Department

0700-1500. Proficient in phlebotomy, Blood transfusion, Wound care, assist with vasectomy procedure. Primarily responsible for Chronic disease education Tues-Thurs. Management is versatile and open to communication. Co-workers are highly skilled, team players. Hardest part of current job is when clinics are over-booked requiring fast-efficient quality care for all patients. The most enjoyable part of the job are the patients and being able to teach them something about their health on how to maintain a quality of life to ensure them the ability to remain at home.

Pros

Patient satisfaction

Cons

Over-bookings

Excellent place to initiate critical thinking

I work 12 hour days and nights. I have learnt excellent critical thinking skills and maintained all skills appropriate for Registered Practical Nurses scope of practice. Management could be improved slightly - management politics are at times difficult to manage. Advancement is possible including many opportunities for increased education with in-house education sessions and courses covered by corporation.

Pros

12 hour shifts

Cons

Night shifts can be difficult

Evening shift review

Typical evening shift at my work was to get report on the patients i would be looking after or of the floor if i was in charge I would then take vitals of all my patients assessing their comfort level if they needed any medication for pain Check on any lab work that came back and contact physicians if needed to Prepared the supper medication and did rounds to get patient up that were to get up Checked wound dressings IV or assist younger staff where needed I learned that team work means one has to work has a team when one of your team is struggling you lend a hand I loved working with all my coworkers management as well they were a great team Most enjoyable part of the job well seeing my patients get well or smile or when they say they were glad i was back I whistled i sang and it made the patient less anxious and they would not be afraid to ring the bell.

Pros

understanding clinical leader and great staff

Cons

stressful when staff was short

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lakeridge Health. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.3