Lakehead University

Lakehead University Employee Reviews

Canada92 reviews
Fun but Stressful
Great work environment but the students make it hard and stressful but it makes it all worth it in the end when students are happy. You learn how to work well with others and plan things very well. Learn a lot about work-life balance and how to separate your emotions from others.
Pros
free stuff
Cons
Fun and relaxing place to meet new students
Fun to talk to potential students and share personal experiences with them. Staff and organizers as well as current classmates are great people who are very reliable.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Wake up early.
challenging
excellent and challenging job description. great working environment. good team work. stress free tasks but also challenging. overall the experience was great.
Excellent Experience Clinical Teaching With the School of Nursing
I am an alumni of the School of Nursing at Lakehead University. I also spent 2 months clinical teaching for them. I was treated very kindly by the faculty of the nursing staff while acting as a clinical instructor and was assigned a great and bright group of students to teach and take through a surgical placement. I would highly recommend this for nurses who are new parents and maybe need a bit of flexibility in their work schedule. Its a different type of nursing in which I feel burnout would be relatively low. The pay is better than the front line and it opens the doors to many opportunities for you. I would highly recommend working for Lakehead University's School of Nursing.
Great people
Great people, location is challenging, Pay is slightly lower than other universities, but that is more due to the systemic problems with sessional work.
Good place for education and working
It is good place for research activities. Faculties are friendly and quite encouraging people. City is good for living and not that expensive. Overall it was nice to work over there.
Extremely flexible
Being a graduate teaching assistant was a great experience, plus it covered the cost of tuition. Flexible work hours as a research assistant allow you to work around your schedule.
fun work environment
this is a great place to work. It is a very relaxed work environment for the most past, but stressful situations can arise. It is a very collaborative work environment with lots of group run events.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Lakehead University?
Set all of your own hours, work from home
Management is friendly and approachable

Work can be repetitive, but there is room for growth in terms of being put on more complicated campaigns.

Employees are all very friendly.

Call system is easy to use.

Good opportunity to work on phone skills, multi-tasking, and thinking on your feet.
Research assistant
I was a research assistant for one of the professors. The job demands weren't high but I worked alone mostly so the socialization wasn't there. I learned to be organized and to organize to a certain level.
Varied
The position i had was relaxed and not as stressful as others. Was able to meet a lot of different4 people as casual employees and volunteers like myself.
Good Start into the Teaching Profession
I was simply a student teacher placed within the school board by the university. I enjoyed the experience and it furthered my knowledge as a teacher. It was also a fun opportunity.
Nice place to work
It was a nice place to work. The management was good. I learned a lot about the education industry. A typical workday is 7 hours long and starts at 8:30.
placement student
I was a placement student. I didn't get paid because it was apart of my program at the college. Great Learning experience. Work with great people and learned a lot.
Good
School of Excellence and more self learning, lot of opportunities to learn and live with multi diversity. Also expensive in school which makes us worry
Fitting into a Department is essential
Being a member of a collaborative research group, either within or outside, Lakehead University, is essential if one is to make tenure and advance. Lakehead is a medium-sized research-oriented institution with a great many departments, but a small number of faculty, so that one is not likely to find another specialist working in the same area there. Going to conferences and belonging to scholarly associations will keep the faculty member connected to developments in his or her specialty. But the community (despite some brutal winter temperatures) is highly supportive of the university, and housing is far less expensive in Thunder Bay than in other major Canadian cities.
Good
I had a a very enjoyable time in my employment there. I would recommend for any student who wants to work and gain experience alongside attending classes.
Friendly, multicultural and productive environment.
From the moment I stepped foot on Lakehead campus, I have had a great experience improving my educational and social skills. Taking advantage of the equipped research laboratories alongside knowledgable faculty.
Best place to do our studies and hit the gym!
Currently studying at the university

Bachelor of Engineering with diploma and coop(software engineering) (1st Year)
Supportive and Encouraging Work Environment
Coworker was amazing to work with. Very helpful, supportive and encouraging. Very reliable and accessible when needed. It was great for everyone's opinions to be considered
fun experience
Working as a floor rep was a fun experience although it put alot more stress on my school studies than it should of. At times it seemed like the boss would forget that we were also students and had projects and tests to work on and study for and if something they wanted us to do that was all their idea even if we, the students ourselves, said that the other students wouldn't go for it we would get blamed that it was a bad idea.