Lakehead University Employee Reviews

Great bunch of people to work with
Lab Technologist (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON20 October 2018
Typical day at work involves running labs, marking them and helping students. You help with degree projects and research. Learned time management and organizing large groups of students into lab groups.
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
Heavy marking schedule
Productive workplace with great coworkers and management
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Orillia, ON18 July 2018
- Typical day at work would be doing patrols every few hours, along with parking patrol and video surveillance
-Learned to manage CCTV cameras, patrol routes, learned how to make good workplace relationships and how to deal with students and teachers
-Management was great at Lakehead, TBird (The Security Coordinator) was always very friendly and loved to share information
-Hardest part of the job was making workplace relationships at the start, I was a lot younger than everyone else
-Most enjoyable part of the job was being there to soak up all the information, as it was my first security position
productive
Student Representative (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON2 July 2018
fun learning and interesting. I have learned many different things like I have become more confident and more determined towards my work. I just hope you will help me to take another job I request you to help me.
Excellent University
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON19 June 2018
Lakehead University is an excellent University that focuses on developing students' personal skills and has excellent teachers who pay attention on each student.
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON13 June 2018
As a TA we were given freedom to engage with the students in a manner that best suited their learning style allowing us to assist them in meaningful and helpful ways
really fun and very involved
House President (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON4 May 2018
for house president you make boards and plan events for the students and you bring a fun outgoing atomsphere to the house. there is really no typical work day because you do everything in your free time.
Pros
working with a lot of students
Cons
never have a break really, all hours job
Great Environment
Geotechnical engineering project (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON7 April 2018
It is a great place to work for. they listen to your concerns and help you to overcome the problems that might occur in the work place. The management is great also.
Fun place
University Team Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON13 March 2018
This was a space where idea came together to achieve the goal of putting out wonderful deliverable to companies. This was an opportunity to aid student with presentation problems and better their speaking.
Flexible hours, approachable faculty
Student Helper (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON17 December 2017
Very good opportunity for learning and honing of skills, hours were according to my schedule, well compensated, and opportunity for advancement. Lots of data to enter, deadlines were fair and flexible, monotonous, but required focus and attention to detail and some level of adaptability and creativity
Pros
Good compensation, flexible hours
Cons
Monotonous
Excellent collaborative environment
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Orillia, ON15 December 2017
Excellent opportunities for academic advancement and improvement. Always learning new and interesting things. Excellent support and fantastic staff. A wonderful place to work and learn.
Pros
Awesome staff, flexible hours
Good learning environment with world-class researchers.
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON22 November 2017
A fast paced environment with good student researcher support. Learned use of academic peer-reviewed and industrial databases and how to organize research information. Support staff is excellent and very helpful. Learning different research methods was enjoyable, though challenging at times. Very student-centered with good researcher to professor ratio.
Pros
Good support staff, flexible hours.
Cons
Best professors are in high demand.
Student (Former Employee) –  Ontario21 November 2017
Dynamic, modern, and highly learner-centred, we acknowledge all of our students as valued leaders of tomorrow, whose education and success are most paramount to our institution. Both campuses in Thunder Bay and Orillia promise the total university experience: a blend of academic excellence and opportunity with a rich variety of social and recreational activities. We also promise excellence in research; Lakehead is the proud host to nine Canada Research Chairs and revolutionary facilities such as our world-renowned Paleo-DNA Laboratory and our Biorefining Research Institute.
Pros
Lakehead University
Cons
Lakehead University
Important program with lots of opportunies
Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON30 September 2017
The Indigenous Language program is important to preserving and promoting the language and culture. The summer work program was fun, challenging and a wonderful opportunity to learn hands on.
Summer student position
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON22 September 2017
It was an interesting experience; however, it was slow. Managment (or anyone else) offered very little in terms of guidance. I didn't feel like I learned any new or useful skills. But the best part was the hour lunch break (which I used to have naps). It was also nice that I was able to listen to music and meet people from all over the world.
Pros
Hour Lunch Break
Cons
Working there
Worthwhile learning experience
Internship (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON15 September 2017
Very useful experience. Gained insight on actual lab work and processes. Independent assignments, fair workload, and very good work environment. Flexible hours
Pros
Direct personal work
Cons
Require previous knowledge about the work
Excellent
Consultant/Analyst (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON14 September 2017
Nice academic institution. Students are well catered for, and the professors are not detached from the students. I would recommend this institution to anyone
They expect too much and will constantly be looking for things to nitpick
Conference Associate (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON23 August 2017
The hours were very long, frequently breaking labour laws. They would manipulate timecards to avoid punishment. The department has a very negative work culture revolving around stress, criticism and narcissism.
Learned a lot from some amazing people
Senior Instructor (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON9 August 2017
The Outdoor Recreation program was the best decision in my life. I learnt so much from the amazing professors of the programs, and made so many life long friends and memories.
Environmental Laboratory
Internship (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON10 June 2017
Typical lab day used to be busy and mine while i learned lots of new machines that we used each day protocol i learned, how to purify DNA, RNA and also PCR procedures. work culture and work management was very good and well managed by the supervisor. hardest part of the job was sometime if supervisor left lab for some important work and i had trouble with some machine or procedure. and i had to figure it out on my own, some time it took me little longer but i usually figures it out by myself. team work was the most enjoyable part and actually applying my knowledge from lecture component was the most fun for me.
Wonderful work environment, great management, helpful colleagues
Senior Manager (Former Employee) –  Technical Services1 May 2017
A major institute in the region. A typical day would be to ensure all services are up and running. Also, following up on various projects and their progress. People are generally helpful but some employees have complacency tendencies (that is due to the isolation of Thunder Bay). Advantages are you get to meet with experts from all walks of life and thus the learning opportunities and exposure is enormous.
Pros
Learning, close proximity of city etc
Cons
Relative isolation of Thunder Bay, Complacent nature of employees