LafargeHolcim
Coronavirus update

LafargeHolcim Employee Reviews for Equipment Operator

Equipment Operator21 reviews
Canada21 reviews
regular day is work, learned equipment utilization and maintenance. Regular blue collar environment typical of most mines. Long hours, decent pay, can work for as much money as you want.
Nothing more to say., it was a good experiece working on the Calgary SEST ring road, didn’t do much after that , i went on to do subdivision work but ended up driving truck hauling equipment more than I did operating equipment.
There is lots of good people, office has good communication, ive learned different scopes of work like pouring concrete and forms, hardest part of the job was the heat,
if you like to stay busy then ground work is not for you. but a great place to work for any skilled equipment operator who values safety. 12 hour rotating shifts aren't too fun but otherwise a great work environment
Wouldn't really recommend especially in today's economy. Received an early lay off after being there for 10 years. Production over safety. Dealt with it first hand by watching safety being swept under the rug. Used to be a good company but younger management is making it a terrible place to work for.
Very nice people, fun hard working culture, fair pay; just wish the work was steady and permanent. would love to stay if the job contracts were plentiful.
Overall good place to work pay is very good, management is very well spoken. Although expectations are very large for the time given. Also it is nice working Monday to Friday with all weekends off
Pros
Pay’s good
Cons
If you're working at franceschini depot, the people are amazing.

Management however is a monkey show. Benefits are laughable for such a huge company.

Supervisors will have you doing a million different jobs that are not discussed at the beginning of your employment but you have to do them anyways.

Pay is horrendous. Unfair and just ridiculous. Really low pay for such a huge company
Pros
Great working hours
Cons
No over time, no team work, little pay
worked there for approximately 5 years was ok was responsible for looking after genearly maintenance of plant and loader helped out on the clean up of plant and yard I got some great experience working on various equipment crushers washplants and heavy equipment
good benefits, but long hours. Job is seasonal, so off work Dec-April every year.
Although it is good to have winters off, the money flow shrinks, for sure.

Overall, OK
Management and the union used to respect each other here. I don't know if it's a result of the merger last year with Holcim but the atmosphere and morale in that time has deteriorated to an all time low. The latest attempt to negotiate new Collective Bargaining Agreement has turned things from bad to toxic. They have locked us out after trying to convince us that neutering the seniority principle and doing away with the majority of the individual postings are a few good ideas. After witnessing how upper management treats lower management, we can just imagine what will be in store for us peons if they have their way. I would definitely NOT hang your hopes on this place as a (mentally) healthy option for gainful employment unless something drastically changes.....(hopefully soon).
One of the other reviewers suggested that the positive reviews here were planted by someone from LaFarge. Judging by my experience, I'd have a hard time arguing with that.
Great place to work, they appreciate hard work and will recognize it. Learned a lot about mining operations. Great group of co-workers, and great pay and benefits.
warm up equipment , process concrete rubble separate rebar and other metals from concrete. push rubble to feeder how for processing
Pros
good experiance
Cons
tight deadlines
the guys u work with are great.the hours are ok.But the management teams never let you know what was happening,like when u where going get layed off for the season or if or when they may call u back
Pros
good benif package
Cons
never knowing what was happening next /not all year round
Demanding/ fulfilling work. Long hours. decent pay. good benefits. Respecful management. The only thing i would say i dislike about this company is how seasonal the work is.
log hrs during the summer, good pay, physically demanding. good bosses and foreman, opportunites to advance, seasonal work
I loved working for Lafarge. I was operating machinery that I love to operate and there was always room to get on another piece of machinery. 12 hour days 6-7 days a week so the money was great. I love to operate machinery and that's what Lafarge provided. Great benefits and stocks too. Loved the people and the management.
Pros
always on machinery doing what i love to do
Good job excellent place to work , great safety standards. all employees are as team to make the daily job a safe and happy workplace
Hard Work, Good Pay. Union Company, fast paced environment and seasonal, no snow removal
During my day at Lafarge, I was one to work in many different area of the company. I would pick up parts and delivery them for the shop and for the gravel pit. I would do data entry from the work orders. I would even do the bank depositing if need be. Run equipment or testing gravel or concrete
Pros
learning new things
Cons
never knowing where i would be from day to day
to many managers bosses they didn't put me for there advantage