LafargeHolcim
Here to help
Coronavirus update

LafargeHolcim Employee Reviews in Edmonton, AB

Edmonton, AB55 reviews
Old school ways of thinking, and nepotism ruined what was shaping up to be a long and fruitful career. Employees will use any little bit of power given to them to make it to the next level . Bullying and discrimination are largely ignored by Human Resources.
Pros
income of up to and even exceeding 100k a year
Cons
long hours and shift from nights to days
Extremel nepotism, too many bosses, top heavy. No emphasis on safety. Ask staff to work too quickly, no matter the danger of the road being worked on. One guy gets no slack for wrecking 13 trucks, One guy does $30,000 damage to a building with no repercussions . then three guys with impeccable records were fired after minor incidents that didn’t cause any company costs. Don’t even apply
Pros
Cons
Stay away... unless you’re a family member or friend
beyond friendly and welcoming staff amazing days at working outside beyond great atmosphere to stay in shape and keep physcially fit at all times no matter job
Good experience other than working with the odd lunatic. A lot more waiting around than actual work but sometimes that is expected in construction. Would work with them again but not the same crew I was with nor doing the same job I had.
Besides decent pay, it is a disorganized and mismanaged company that does not promote professional growth. Lack of inter department communication and succession planning resulting in a tense work environment.
There is lots of good people, office has good communication, ive learned different scopes of work like pouring concrete and forms, hardest part of the job was the heat,
Really good company people are great and very friendly over there, best company to work with I’m really happy working with them, people are very professional and respectful
Safely oversee the health and safety of 8 individuals who operate and maintain the cement terminal. Oversee the shipping, receiving, and blending of cement to industry and quality standards for the construction facilities of northern Alberta.
Went there thinking it would be a great fit for me, since I had experience in the Ready Mix field as a driver already. But the culture is that the job is number one and that is it. Management complained if you took longer than 15 minutes pre-tripping your vehicle; which is crazy since as a junior driver you are in a different truck everyday.
Dispatch is not very good, nor is management

Not a great place to work if you have a family or like to have a life outside of the job.
An Organization in constant disarray. Constant turnover of management due to very poor Sr Leadership and lack of accountability.
A highly reactive culture where there is an over-abundance of initiatives started by Sr Management with no implementation strategy or support. The atmosphere is typically chaotic with a emphasis on turnover to meet the demands rather than demands that fit a very unsophisticated organization that can’t execute basic functions. The employee’s get little to no support and are treated with little respect. More of Ma Pop shop than a organization.
Home every day with a decent pay and benefits is great as a truck driver with training and experienced drivers to learn from makes work worthwhile. I would suggest this career to drivers who have experience driving and want to sleep in their own bed every night.
Lots of hours during the season
it is seasonal

Learning new things, lots of on going safety training.

like my coworkers, like the management.

they care about there employees
Been with lafarge for almost 17 years. very busy atmosphere but also a lot of fun to be around the crews in place. Very safety and efficiency driven daily monthly & yearly
Huge company, great people, great organization. loved working for them. Pay and benefits are amazing I highly recommend applying and working for this great company.
I loved the challenges and the people. Always something new to learn and goals to obtain. Economic downturns are unfortunate in the construction industry and now looking for a new opportunity.
Management doesn’t listen to the employees concerns, only cares about safety when OH&S are around and/or the safety audit week is happening. We all had to work in +10 health risk air quality during the BC fires, everyone was coughing and nothing was provided to us to stop all the smoke going in our lungs, meanwhile the bosses were sitting in their cushiony offices and trucks. Management makes lots of promises, doesn’t follow through. No room to climb the work ladder, promotions are hard to get meanwhile they will happily hire on new people to take the position you were working so hard for.
The only good thing about this job was the other labourers I met. Made some great friends.

Would not recommend working here! Look elsewhere first, make this your last resort.
Pros
Great friendly co-workers.
Cons
Long hours, management doesn’t care about employees, no work/life balance. Seasonal.
When I was working there was always crew around looking out for each other supervisor was right there training us as well. I learned how to do my task the proper way and new skills were learned as well
Not going to recommend this place to work at unless you have no self worth and like to be a door mat. I spent many years with this company only to watch it go down hill starting with the bail out by holcim. I could live comfortably on the amount of money wasted every day, to over 15 fatalities. The bullying tactic is old guys so what's with the constant threats of termination? I have seen some good people leave ,others let go for no reason and some fired for having different views. They say that they care but it's all about image, they say they operate safe, and I would too with so many fatalities, cameras in the trucks is a total waste of companies money because hand held devices and a massive monitor is not legal to be used as it is a distraction which makes the driver at fault..SO WHY ARE THEY IN THE TRUCKS. No managers have that in their trucks, they can drive anyway they so choose too without discipline. For instance the day we went golfing one Friday and consumed quite a bit of alcohol and drove home after. I would personally suggest using a alternate company which can supply you a better quality product. Remember this company has been connected to funding terrorism that should speak for itself. Holcim should take a visit to canada and take a first hand look at where there money is going before it's all gone..
Pros
Not there anymore
Cons
I spent almost 11 years with Lafarge before deciding on a career change and they were awesome to work for. The benefits are great and the potential to work your way up the ladder.
Pros
work in an office or outside
Cons
construction division works long hours
Currently working and will keep working as it's a wonderful place and the employees are great to work with. Career minded individuals will benefit if they want to start in the construction industry
It is not the worst place to work,or the best place for that matter.
Favorites get moved up the ladder,people who are not favorites do not really go anywhere.

They seem to go through cycles of hiring lots of employees,and then laying off lots of staff.
Pros
good wages, union
Cons
supervisors can be really awkward